Chapter 3

Crossroads

The door forced open with a loud bang. I jumped up slightly as I was startled but I held on tight to Himchan’s hands. The figure standing near the door was unfamiliar. It was neither of our parents but this tall lean man with unkempt hair but still effortlessly was dressed neatly in a black blazer. His face was calm but his cheeks were flushed contrasting with his fair skin as if he just finished a major marathon. We both stared at him blankly but I could feel Himchan’s grip tightening trying to protect me while also being wary of the man.

 

The man gave a smirk and went towards us then squatted down in front of us. Himchan pulled me back to further distance ourselves from him. I looked at Himchan’s face intently. He was breathing hard. I could feel his sweaty palms tight on me to protect me. He was afraid. Fearful of that man, fearful of what he was capable of. “Who are you? What do you want from us?!” Himchan shouted to initiate a retaliation. The man locked his gaze at Himchan. That gaze was sharp and fearless, meaning he was not threatened by Himchan’s words. I heard Himchan gulped down his saliva as his breathing became more unstable.

 

The man stretched his hands out to touch my head but Himchan’s swift hands shoved his hands  away. “Don’t touch my sister!” he shouted fiercely at the man. I started to shiver in fear. I did not know what to do and I have no clue what would happen to us. The man stared hard at Himchan and in a speed of lightning, he grabbed Himchan by his arms violently from my grip and dragged him out of the room. I burst into tears, losing the security I felt with Himchan. I wailed loudly as I went after them shouting repeatedly for him to stop. Himchan was struggling hard to release himself from the man but he was of strong build. Himchan’s energy was no match for him. “Let go of my brother! Let go!” I whined.

 

Himchan was dragged down the stairs and then forcefully thrown on the floor, nearly hitting his head on the edge of the sofa. I hurried down crying and hugged my brother. I felt so helpless and  at the same time, I was terrified of the man. We both looked up and realised there were other men in the house donning the same outfit as the man. They had straight faces on them, ignorant of the violence that just occurred. Himchan did not shed a tear but instead just hissed in pain.


“What did you do to my kids?” a soft voice wailed behind us. We both turned our heads around to see our mum sat on the sofa with a gun pointed on her head. She weeped as she uttered those words. “Mom!” we cried while trying to get up but were stopped by a few men. Beside her, a man stood up while smoking a cigar. His hair was combed back neatly and was wearing a suit complete with shiny black shoes. He looked like he was of my father’s age. He carried an authoritative aura which explained why the room went quiet instantly. He puffed out smoke as he paced around the room. No one dared to even bat an eyelid as we looked at the man waiting for his next move. Unfortunately, his next move was not to anyone expectations.