Chapter 6

Crossroads

A loud thump coming from my window startled me. The tape of memories stopped playing. My heart was beating fast. I turned around to see what made the sound but all I could see was the street lamps lighting the backyard. Relieved, I picked up the photo from my bed to keep it but then I heard shuffling of feet outside my window. Not of someone walking but of someone struggling. It sounded heavy and slow. Curiosity nudged my conscience. I wanted to know who or what was there. I went out of my house and paced towards the backyard in the chilly night.

 

I took small steps and walked carefully to the backyard. I stretched my head out to get a better view of the subject. I looked around and scanned the area. At first glimpse, nothing was in sight but then something of bright colour caught my eye. Under my window, someone was lying down there, a guy with bright red hair to be precise. I went closer and saw him motionless on the ground. I knelt down instantly. He was dressed all black in singlet and jeans and was holding his right arm. I gasped at the amount of blood flowing out of his arm.

 

“Excuse me, can you hear me? You’re hurt,” I called out but to no response. He must have passed out. His sweat on his forehead was glistening under the light shining from the street lamps. It was late and unsafe to leave him there so I helped him up and decided to treat his wounds. I put his arms around me and I struggled for a bit as he was of muscular build and was quite heavy. I slowly walked back to my house and made him rest on the sofa.

 

I took out some bandages and medications for his wound. Sitting beside him, I heard his hard loud breathings and his forehead creased in pain. I started cleaning his wounds gently in the midst of his painful murmurs. I quickly applied medication and then bandaged his muscular arm carefully. His face soon eased and he started breathing normally again. I was relieved while staring at his calm face. He did not look familiar. He was neither of the neighbours nearby. His red hair was disturbing but then it suited his distinct face features - his thick eyebrows, dark eyelashes, sharp nose and thick lips.

 

I cleared up the bloody mess and I heard movements beside me. I glanced to see him fidgeting about while he slowly regained his consciousness. He opened his eyes slowly, blinked a few times before slowly sitting up properly and glancing around. He came around and saw me beside him and swiftly got up. I was alarmed.

 

“Erm... ar..are you okay? You were outside my house. You got injured and passed out so I brought you in.. I..I’ll get you some water...” I stammered.

 

“No need. I will go. Thanks,” he answered curtly before hurrying towards the door and exiting my house. I went after him to press some questions but he soon disappeared leaving my mind to ponder his identity.