Chapter 15

Crossroads

Daehyun and me strolled along the bridge that faced the river below after dinner that night. The sight was exhilarating. The breeze was blowing gently on our faces while stars shone bright splattering across the pitch black sky. We came to the bridge after the dinner at a nearby restaurant. Apparently, Daehyun did take effort to dress up for this so-called date. He came with a blazer and white shirt coupled with a tie-dyed jeans and from a distance, I could smell his cologne. On the other hand, I was in my soiled sweater since this morning. I felt embarrassed not being at my best with him. I knew him since moving in with uncle Alex as he lived in the same neighbourhood. We both spent time a lot in middle school as we were in the same class. We would comb the streets after school either to explore the food stalls or just have a fun time playing with each other. We were considered close to the extent whereby his parents wanted me to go over his place often. Daehyun was a simple guy but he had a kind heart. He worked hard in school to help his parents and he dreamt of buying them a larger house when he grew up.

Towards me, he treated me like his own sibling. He cared for every little thing I did and every minute thing that happened to me thus he knew most of my secrets. He always listened to me talk about anything and he would listen attentively without being bored about it. I adored that side of him because I could relate anything to him. Himchan knew him too but he was usually not at home to really know Daehyun well.

 

“A penny for your thoughts..” Daehyun broke the silence in the chilly atmosphere. We took a seat at one of the benches facing the huge river. Many couples and families were there, enjoying each other’s company. Their laughters and smiling faces were evident, erupting in the night life and giving bubbles of joy.

“Nothing..just remembering our childhood times...”  I answered with a smile. Daehyun smiled back at me. His smile was always sincere and always lifted up the mood.

 

“Time flew fast, look how big you are!” he teased as he poked my arm.

“Excuse me, you are too considering what a huge appetite you have!” I answered back and pushed him slightly. He just giggled and grinned widely.

“Julia, just now when I fetched you at the bookstore, those hooligans were there right?” I nodded in agreement but my heart told me somehow they were not rowdy as they were Zelo’s friends. “Be careful. Stay away from those kind of people. Don’t get into trouble,” he said with a tinge of concern.

I smiled widely. “I know. I can protect myself. I have fighting skills that I learnt from Himchan oppa!”

 

“Yeah but you won’t know what would happen!” I just laughed off at his remarks. I jolly well could handle those people if they did anything to me. Just a few strikes with my feet and they are going down. “Maybe you need a guy to protect you...” he mumbled.

“What? A guy? No thanks!” I exclaimed.

 

“It’s better than getting hurt..maybe me? What do you think of me?” I froze when he posed that question. I felt my fingers went numb. What was he trying to imply?

“Err...you are good..” I hastily responded, avoiding looking at him. I fiddled with the ends of my sweater and kept a straight face. Why is my heart beating fast? Then, I could feel his body leaning towards me slowly and his face inched nearer and nearer to mine. His warm breath was brushing my cheeks, making my heart drummed against my chest. I was getting anxious and I could feel blood rushing to my cheeks. What was he doing? I could not stay calm. As he got closer, I shut my eyes tight and bit my lips, waiting for the next move from him. Then, my ears heard a low voice whisper.

 

“I am willing to be your bodyguard....in your dreams.” My eyes widened as I realized his joke and then beat him hard on the arms repeatedly. He held his stomach while laughing madly looking at my expression. My cheeks went hot at that moment and I kept hitting him. He got up and ran, inviting me to give him a chase to which I pursued him till the end of the bridge. Our laughters and shouts filled the air. I could feel the happiness wafting in the thick chilly atmosphere, enveloping our vacant hearts with this precious friendship.