Chapter 29

Crossroads

I knocked on the front door to Daehyun’s house. I kind of felt apprehensive about meeting him after such a long time. I was uncertain about his reaction upon seeing me but it made me more uncomfortable not talking to him for so long. I held on tight to the paper bag I carried containing some snacks that he liked while waiting for him to answer the door.

 

“Oh.. you.. come on in,” he gestured me in with a gloomy tone in his voice. I entered the house and sat down on his sofa. The house was exceptionally quiet and there seemed to be a dark demeanour looming around the house. Daehyun disappeared into his room for a few minutes before he came out in a casual outfit.  

 

“You came after so long...” he started to break the silence after a moment. I was flustered and could not really answer him properly.

 

“Err.. yeah.. I’ve got you some snacks that you like.. here.”

 

“No need.. I’m leaving,” he abruptly interrupted me while shoving back the paper bag towards me. His face was straight void of any emotions while my mind was filled with waves of doubts.

 

“To where? I just came here...”

 

He got up all of a sudden and went back into his room to bring out his luggage. I was astounded. What was his intention? Where is he going all of a sudden?

 

“You are leaving the country? Leaving me and Minji? What where are you going? Why didn’t you tell us anything? Why? Why?!” I questioned him ceaselessly raising my voice gradually while tears welled in my eyes. My heart felt stifling and I was breathless as I was not prepared for this at all. He was someone so dear to me since we were young and the thought of him suddenly absent from me was too painful. Our friendship was long and there were so many memories we shared that I held close to heart. I was not ready to put away those memories. I started to shed tears while I stood in front of him. He pulled me into his embrace and my hair, pacifying me amidst my sobbings as my pale cheeks became flooded with uncontrollable tears.As he held my shoulders, he wiped away my tears with his fingers.

 

“I’m sorry Julia.. this may be too abrupt but I have to.. for us..” Daehyun calmly explained. Us? I gave him a hollow expression, still unable to grasp the circumstance.

 

“Don’t go please.. don’t leave me here.. please... I don’t want you to leave...” I begged endlessly, tugging onto his arms as I wept again. Daehyun remained silent as he gritted his teeth to hold back his emotions. He pulled the luggage out and left the house. I went after him, relentlessly begging him not to leave. My throat was sore from the weepings and begs but it seemed in vain as Daehyun kept walking. I was never going to let him go regardless of what his reasons were. He was a friend I could rely on and he was the one that made me cherish a friendship. If not for him, I would not know Minji and they both would not have existed in my life. Besides, it was too unbearable to be separated from him and to let go of any memories we had.

 

Daehyun halted in his steps and faced me. “Can you stop it?!” he yelled at my face. I was startled as it was his first time ever yelling at me. I stopped wailing and bit my lips seeing his infuriated face and the rage in his eyes. I wanted to dissolve those anger and made him stay. I hated the Daehyun I saw then. I ran up to hug him but he pushed me away violently with his strong grip.

 

“I cannot because I like you and I need to forget you! Understand?!!” he babbled raising his voice. My two feets froze to the ground when I hear those words. My lips went dry and my heart pulsated furiously. Like? Daehyun? I felt like I was hearing things but looking into his eyes, I could feel how upset he was saying those words. He slowly loosened his grip from me while letting out a huge breath. My voice was stuck in my throat. My mind was running wild, trying to get a grip from those words he uttered but my lips seemed to be glued together. Only the flow of hot tears ran down my cheeks as Daehyun gave one last glance at me before he turned away and left me only with his footprints and shadow.