Chapter 5

Crossroads

Everything that happened after that was a blur. There were loud commotions but the pace was fast and soon after, Himchan and I woke up in a room slightly bigger than our room. Both of us lay on the cold floor atop a thin mattress. The sun was nearly setting and the room got darker. We both looked around to familiarize ourselves with the place. We were clueless as everything there felt foreign. I felt myself engulfed in the strangeness but deep down, I felt lost. I suddenly remembered my mum, lying pale on the sofa. Her face was as white as sheet. She was not here. Was she gone forever? Where was father when we needed him? Why were both of us here? Who took us here? These questions ran wild but seemed to be unanswered and it took control of me. I started sobbing helplessly.

 

 “Julia, don’t cry. I’m here. We will be out of here soon,” Himchan consoled me while hugging me tightly and rubbing my head gently.

 

 “I’m scared...I want mother and father here...” I wailed as tears ran heavily down my cheeks. Himchan kept patting and rubbing my back gently to calm me and pacified me. “No matter what happens, I will always protect you and not let anyone harm you.”

 

 Then, the door went wide ajar and a figure walked in to switch on the lights. We squinted our eyes at the sudden brightness of the room and peered at the figure. He was already sitting down opposite us on the floor placing down food. After sometime, we realized he was a middle-aged man. He already had a receding hairline at the front and his face was tight, probably of his old age.We retracted back in fear and stared at him in case he did anything.

 

He gave a slight smile. “Kids, don’t be scared. I won’t do anything to you,” he assured.

 

“Don’t fool us. Those men told you to kidnap us right?” Himchan questioned.

 

“Where’s my father? Where’s my mother?” I asked anxiously.

 

He shook his head slowly and maintained a serious look. “I just want my father and mother back....” I whined as I sobbed even harder. His face turned soft and he got up and walked towards us slowly and sat down. Himchan eyed him closely. He reached out to hold my hands.

 

“Little girl, I don’t know where they are but all I know is that both of you will be taken care by me from now onwards.”

 

“No, that will never happen. You are a bad man,” Himchan replied sternly.

 

“If I am, these food won’t be here. And I would not bring you back to my house,” he answered curtly. “I am your guardian now and I will take care of you. I won’t harm you,” he continued. He my hand and held Himchan’s hands. “What happened just now were not my plans but from now on, those things won’t happen. Forget them; this is where you both will start your life. Get it?”

 

Somehow, his hands felt warm though his expression was cold. I seemed to be able to see his honest responsible side to take care of us. He looked at both of us and tried to smile but remained serious. “So..... eat?” he gestured. Instead, I went up to hug him. I was not sure why I did that but I knew I needed a secure touch to tear away these confusions and sorrows that I felt. Himchan too joined me. The man did not hug us back but he patted our backs. That hug felt long and that was how our lives opened a new chapter with Uncle Alex.