Chapter 18

Crossroads

I closed the door behind me and rested on my back while clasping my chest with the umbrella. I looked at the umbrella and recalled what just happened outside. My heart did not beat fast but something pricked at the bottom of my heart, a new sort of feeling which I could not figure out. I let out a breath and then my nose picked up a certain smell that wafted in the living room. The smell of pastries lingered on my nose and aroused my taste buds. I followed the smell and walked towards the kitchen. I was surprised to see Himchan cleaning the dishes at the sink. Figuring my presence, he looked up and gave me his brightest smile. “ My lovely sister is back!”

 

I watched him as he opened the oven and took out a tray of freshly baked muffins. He let them cool on the table and removed his mittens. I rushed up to him and hugged him immediately. I was exhilarated and also relieved he came home. “Why didn’t you call me?” I purposely frowned.

 

“It would not be a surprise if I called you right?” he responded while he pinched my cheeks. “So why were you late today?”

 

“Uhm....I went out.. with Daehyun...” I murmured. He then gave a smirk. “Ah my little sister here went on a date!” He put his arms around me. “So did you two get together...as in.. you know?” He gave a cheeky smile. I gave a slight jab on his stomach at his teases. He laughed and patted my head.

 

“Can I try them?” I asked as I bent down to smell the blueberry muffins. He removed one from the tray and peeled off the paper cup and pinched a small portion of the muffin to feed me. “Does it still have the Midas touch of Himchan?” I smiled and gave him two thumbs up. Himchan smiled and we both spent the night with conversation filled with the sweet taste of blueberries.