Chapter 31

Crossroads

A month later..

 

The afternoon surrounding the boys’ house that day passed by slowly with the sun high up the sky and still calmness draping the atmosphere. Yongguk and they guys were indoors, each with varied thoughts filling their minds;  Zelo laid on his stomach across the floor reading a magazine on the latest skateboards trendy enough to be bought for some welcoming attention. Youngjae lounged on a sofa, his hands busy changing the channels on the television with the remote control while his thoughts drifted about last night’s Miss Universe contestants and Jongup was peacefully dozing off on his lap, probably dreaming about consuming more food. Yongguk was upstairs in his room, resting his head against the wall as he sat upright on his bed with his eyes closed.

 

Every single day, he tried very hard to piece up the puzzle pieces and remember the man that killed his father. He was not able to capture the man’s face fully but the word “Python” tattooed across his wrist remained etched in his mind. That same hand held a gun at point-blank range on his father’s head and took away his life mercilessly. He woke up and punched his pillow, rage burning in his chest. He needed to avenge his father’s death no matter what and how long it took to find the man. But then his mind jumped to flash images of the woman in his life, Julia, whom he truly loved and cared like he never did before in his life towards anyone. He was surprised himself as to how he fell for her and how the relationship exponentially peaked till it seemed like they could read each other’s minds. Maybe that’s what they said when you meet the right person - your soulmate. Yongguk has yet to disclose his dark past to Julia because it feels not right to make Julia worried for him. Moreover, he just wanted their relationship to be filled with happy moments.

 

“Yongguk hyung~” Youngjae called out his name lovingly while standing at the doorway of his room. Yongguk snapped from his thoughts and saw the 3 boys.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Why are you daydreaming? Don’t you think we all should be doing something productive?” Youngjae suggested as he plopped himself on the bed. Zelo and Jongup follow suit with idiotic smiles planted across their faces.

 

“Stop acting like morons.. I’m not daydreaming, I’m seriously thinking of how to get Python as soon as possible. I’m really impatient,” Yongguk stated with a serious note in his voice.

 

“We know where you are coming from and we are all in this together. We want to help you too hyung.. but we just lack of leads to do the job..” Youngjae replied.

 

Zelo suddenly snapped his fingers. “Hyung, I just remembered that I passed by the secret place where Himchan and his men always meet… do you think they might be good leads? I mean they are mafias too..”

 

“You might be right. We need to know more about them, they might be related to Python in one way or another.”

 

“Well then that’s simple. Tonight, Zelo, Jongup and me will tail those men and sneak into the place to dig as much information as possible and… Yongguk hyung! You can just go over to Julia noona’s house for uhm.. a short staycation?” Youngjae cheekily responded.

 

“S-staycation for?”

 

“Eyy hyung.. stop being ignorant! Isn’t it her birthday tomorrow? Surprise her! Make her feel loveeeed.. you know.. hehehe,” Youngjae winked as he wiggled his eyebrows with a cheeky smirk.

 

“Yeah hyung! Leave the job to us and have your own private time with her! You two have not been spending time much lately so this is a golden opportunity! Right Jongup?” Zelo nudged him, inciting a supportive response to the idea. “Uh.. yes yes! True true! Just.. err go hyung!”Jongup hastily responded with the usual blank expression painted on his face. Yongguk sheepishly smiled at their antics, somehow enlightening the furor in his chest. He admitted that he missed Julia deeply, always thinking of her well-being. He felt resentful that he sort of neglected her while being too absorbed in finding the man responsible for his father’s death. Yongguk agreed to their suggestion but also anxiously wanted to hope for positive results from their activity that night.