Chapter 22

Crossroads

I set the table with plates and utensils and also served the dishes I cooked. Jongup said that ramyun was an essential dish which Yongguk liked so I prepared a huge bowl of that with other side dishes such as rolled ham and mushroom omelette and egg kimbap. I cleared the mess in the kitchen while Jongup and Youngjae did final touches to the decorations. They had a cake with lighted candles already set. All that was left was to surprise Yongguk. I picked up my bag and got ready to leave when Youngjae stopped me.

 

“Where are you going? Aren’t we celebrating his birthday together?”

 

“Erm.. I don’t think it’s necessary.. you guys should have fun together...” I hastily replied. I was not really keen to be in the party as part of me wanted to rest and a part of me wanted to avoid seeing Yongguk’s face. It brought tingles in my stomach at the thought of him.

 

“No, please stay. The more the merrier. And besides, you cooked all these. Don’t you want to stay and eat too? Please stay,” Youngjae pleaded. I was not sure how I managed to agree but in the end, I was in the midst of a dark room where Youngjae was standing near the door holding the lighted cake while Jongup and me were nearby ready to surprise Yongguk.

 

The clicking sound of the door being unlocked startled us. As the door swung open, Jongup switched on the lights and revealed Yongguk and Zelo entering the door. Instantly, the three of us shouted “surprise” and wished him “Happy Birthday”. His poker face soon shifted to an elated face and his lips curled into a smile. I was smiling too unconsciously. I was happy to be able to wish someone like this. Yongguk looked around at us and then his gaze paused at me. My smile disappeared as I avoided his gaze. My heart thumped at that moment and I kind of felt uneasy at his strong gaze.

 

Yongguk then blew the candles and was led to the table where all the dishes were. “Hyung, we know how much you love ramyun so we cooked for you! Ta-dah!” Youngjae gestured as he removed the lid of the bowl of ramyun. “Wasn’t it Julia noona who cooked?” Jongup interrupted. “Er.. yah..yah she cooked it..for all of us...” Youngjae stumbled. I could feel my cheeks flushed at the mention of my name and somehow I could feel Yongguk was staring at me. I just looked down while I helped to serve the food.

 

“Thank you noona.. we will enjoy the food well,”Zelo responded. I smiled at him. All of them ate amidst laughters and conversations filled with elation. I was also a part of their conversations and seeing them being close just like siblings, my heart bloomed. They came across as gentle and carefree, different from their outlooks. The more stories they told each other, the more I felt that I could understand them better. The more I could also see Yongguk in a different way. He was caring and he had an elder brother vibe towards them. I could see how he treated them like his own and how he lead them. I could see flashes of smile on his face while they enjoyed their food. Behind the stern face, it was someone of a tender heart and seeing that side somehow was heartwarming.