The Road to War

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JOOHYUN

“Oppa, I’m taking Yoona to Shin Hye’s party” she said over the phone.

“Ani, Jonghyun’s taking her.  Shin Hye gave me four invitations.  I was really surprised though that she sent you one.  She knows I’m taking you to the club.” Yonghwa replied.  He was on his way to class and was running late.

“You’re running late Oppa I know that.  I’ve memorized your schedule.” Joohyun told him as she sat down on the benches waiting for Hyoyeon to join her.

“And I know you’re waiting for Hyoyeon so that both of you can meet your other unnies for lunch” he responded. “Gotta go sweetheart I’m entering the classroom now – love you.”

“Love you too” Joohyun said.

“Yah, maknae. You never stop calling your boyfriend huh” Hyoyeon sat down beside her.

“Unnie! Yes, well I do talk to him while waiting for you.  What’s for lunch?” Joohyun gave her unnie a brief hug.

“Fany told us to go to her building.  I think she has lunch for all of us to share.”

They walked quickly to the Liberal Arts building. They found Tiffany, Sunny, Taeyeon and Jessica seated in one of the stone benches.  Each girl had a small container full of kimbap.

“Yah, what took you so long? Here – get your kimbaps you know we only have 45 minutes for lunch.” Tiffany said as she handed them 2 containers.

“Mianhe unnie” Joohyun apologized.

“So how’s the boyfriend?” Taeyeon asked.

“He’s fine.  He and Jonghyun have class until 1:30. Then they’ll meet up with Jungshin and Minhyuk for lunch.”

“Wah – you two love birds got everything organized.” Jessica laughed.

Joohyun just nodded and blushed.

“Anyway, what’s this I hear that you’re invited to a club party this weekend? The heiress invited you.” Tiffany remarked.

“Yes, I was going to take Yoona but Oppa said that Jonghyun was taking her. Shin Hye unnie gave them an invitation each and she gave me one also. Oppa and I thought it was strange because she knows he’s taking me.”

Of all her unnies, Tiffany was the social butterfly. She had so many club dates and affairs every weekend.  They would listen to her endless stories and gossip about the Seoul social scene.

“Were you invited to dinner at her house?” Tiffany asked.

“No – my invitation only said the club,” Joohyun said.

“I bet Yong’s invitation included dinner at her house. That’s what’s going around – she had 2 kinds of invitations made – pink one for the club and blue one for dinner and club.  It’s a classy sit down dinner in her house then on to the club for partying.”

“Oh- I didn’t know that. I’ll have to ask Oppa.” Joohyun said.

“Why do you need to make her over think things again Fany?” Sunny exclaimed.

“Ani – I was only asking! No need to take my head off!” Tiffany shot back. “It’s good for her to know.”

“What so they can quarrel?” Hyoyeon asked.  “They already had a misunderstanding last Valentine’s Day! Unnie!”

“Really, we’re not going to quarrel.  I’ll talk about it with Oppa.  I know that her father and his parents have business dealings.  It’s only natural that he gets to be invited with his parents for dinner at her house.” Joohyun’s calmly told them.

I refuse to become a jealous girlfriend.

“See, she’s grown up now.” Taeyeon said as she embraced Joohyun.

Since Yoona was going with Jonghyun – Joohyun asked her unnies who would like to accompany her to the Shin Hye’s club party.  It was decided that Tiffany would.  All too soon it was time for their classes.  They promised to see each other sometime that week to shop for a party dress for Joohyun.

Later that night Joohyun called Yonghwa and asked about his invitation from Shin Hye.

“Oh that – well mine was blue while Jonghyun, Minhyuk and Junshin got pink. Don’t worry about it. I am going to her house with my parents. Then I’ll meet you at the club.  Who are you taking with you?”

Shall I make him jealous?

“Joohyun, what’s taking you so long to answer?”

 “Did you want me to say Kris? Or N? Or Max?”

Silence.

“Ah, so it’s okay for my heart to hurt a bit because you’re having dinner in her house before seeing me but it’s not okay for you to hear that I’m taking someone else to the club?” Joohyun teased.

Silence.

“Uhm – still not answering? You really have a jealous streak Oppa. Okay I will not torture you anymore – I’m taking Tiffany unnie with me. We’re going out later this week to pick out what to wear.  All the unnies are going to help me dress up. Now can you answer me?”

Silence.

“Oppa?”

“Seo Joohyun – you’ll learn in time not to make me jealous.”

He sounds so serious. Ah- he’s mad at me again! Ottoke?

“Oppa! Why are you this way? I was only joking.  Don’t you trust me? I trust you!”

“I trust you. It’s just that I’m really a jealous guy. You will have to bear with me until we can tell your parents and mine about our relationship. Until you have that fake engagement I’m not going to feel secure.”

“I can’t even tease you! Really Oppa!” Joohyun responded.

“You can’t tease me over the phone because I can’t give a proper response. That’s unfair Joohyun.”

“Still so serious! Okay – when I see you this weekend show your proper response.”

“Wait for it.”   He laughed a bit and Joohyun was relieved.

They talked for another hour and both decided to call it a night and promised to call each other when they woke up.

The week flew by and tt was finally Friday when Joohyun saw her unnies again.  Tiffany, Taeyeon and Jessica rode with her while Hyoyeon was with Sunny in her car.

Joohyun had a drivers’ license in the US and just didn’t have the time to take the test. But she had promised Yonghwa and Ahjussi that she would do so before her birthday.

“Have you been practicing maknae?” Jessica asked.

“Yes, Ahjussi lets me drive for about 2 hours every day before dinner and when I see Oppa he lets me practice in his car.”

“In the Mercedes? Aren’t you scared?” Tiffany gasped.

“No I just practice with his red Honda. I would be too scared to practice on his newest car!”

When they got to the mall – Joohyun had to spend a gruelling 2 hours with her unnies until they found the right dress for her.   Joohyun’s naturally conservative sense clashed with Tiffany and Jessica’s y dress sense. The rest of her unnies had to referee.  They all agreed on an ultra-feminine yet very y black dress by Carolina Herrera.  It had a wide neckline what would show off Joohyun’s very pretty collar bones, it had bell sleeves that reached up to her wrists.  The skirt length showed a fair amount of legs. Her shoes were black and strappy. Joohyun’s only accent would be the Chanel earrings that her mother had given her for Christmas. And of course her charm bracelet.

“Okay you look y but innocent at the same time. We’ll go to the salon on the day itself so that we can have our hair and make-up done professionally.” Tiffany told Joohyun before Ahjussi dropped her off at her apartment.

“Unnie it’s just club party.” Joohyun was astonished by the amount of preparation that it had taken.

“Ah – my dearest maknae – it’s not that simple.  You need to be dressed to kill each every time you meet these people.  As Yong’s girlfriend– you must learn fast.  The women that you will see will rip you apart for wearing the same outfit twice. I, your unnie have taken it upon myself to teach you this.” Tiffany said just before she got out of the car.

Joohyun laughed and promised to pick up Tiffany at 3 pm the next day for the salon date.

The next day – Joohyun and Tiffany took about 3 hours to be made up and have their hair fixed. Joohyun watched in awe as the person in the mirror looked like her but not quite like her.

I have a ton of make up on but it looks like I don’t. And my hair!

“Unnie – I have contacts on – can I still wear the false eyelashes? Can we just do one layer?” Joohyun asked the makeup stylist.

“Maknae – relax they know you’re a newbie.  These unnies know what will look good with your dress.”

When Joohyun got home –her mother told her that she looked so different. She had to agree. As Joohyun surveyed herself in the mirror the sophisticated girl that stared back looked pretty enough to compete with Shin Hye’s polished looks.

Hmm…I hope Oppa likes the way I look – that’s the only important part.

“You look all grown up Agasshi, your young man might have to fight for your attention tonight.” Ahjusshi said to her just before she got into the car. They were a bit late in getting to the club but Ahjussi took his time.  They would just meet Tiffany in the club.

Taking a deep breath, Joohyun stepped out of the car and held Ahjussi’s hand as she got out. She fervently hoped that she wouldn’t slip on the stairs wearing the killer heels.

Joohyun! Breathe!

 YONGHWA

He was so impatient during the dinner at Shin Hye’s house that his mother had to glare at him on several occasions.  He was also uncomfortable because Shin Hye kept asking him and his parents to be in all the group shots.

 He was with Jungshin and Minhyuk when he saw Joohyun’s car at the entrance of the club. She was running late and he was worried because Joohyun was always punctual.

He saw Ahjussi get out of the car and open the passenger door.  He saw beautiful legs swing out and a delicate hand hold Ahjussi’s.

When Joohyun got out of the car Yonghwa had to do a double take.

He saw a beautiful young woman in a very elegant black dress, killer heels and long beautiful hair.  Her elegant neck and collar bones were exposed.  Her skin shone like porcelain.

My God she’s lovely!

“Hyung! Is that Seo?” Jungshin clutched his arm. “Daebak! She looks totally different. I mean – she’s beautiful and y –“

Minhyuk had to clamp Jungshin’s mouth because Yonghwa shot them an irritated glance before running down the stairs to get his girlfriend.

“Joohyun!” He called out.

He didn’t fail to notice that all the valets and door men had their mouths open and that her dress rippled in the night wind showing more leg.

“Oppa!” She smiled and waited for him to come to her.

He kissed her forehead and bowed to Ahjussi. Taking Joohyun’s hand he guided her up the stairs taking care to be a step behind her so that the wind wouldn’t hike up her dress m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter