HIS WIFE - 2017 NEW YEAR SHORT STORY

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December 31, 2 years into the future…

Joohyun survey’s the New Year’s masquerade ball with restless eyes.

The Samonim of CNB Holdings was dressed beautifully in a French ball gown that was vintage Christian Dior.  She and her mother in law had painstakingly searched all the designer ateliers in France in find it. The headdress and the mask were copied and executed by a wonderful shop she found in Seoul. Everyone said she looked lovely.

They say that marriage becomes routine and stagnant after a while. The husband and wife become divided and indifferent to each other. 

What does it take to keep a marriage going?

To find something new and exciting with someone you’ve been married to for most of your life?

To talk about things other than business and family?

To draw the line between one’s role in business and the home?

To not have physical contact for weeks and then be discontented with hurried couplings and kisses?

How much does it take to keep love alive?

How about the matter of trust?

“Samonim – you look lovely as always.”  Architect Seung Ho bows to Joohyun.

She felt her face heat up. It took all her training not to look around. She knew everyone was watching.

Watching to see how she and her rumored lover treated each other in public.

“Thank you.” Joohyun bows as well. Her knuckles were white as she clutches her fan. “And your date?”

“I didn’t bring one.” He replies. His eyes mirror his admiration. He was in love with the Samonim of CNB Holdings and he was brave enough to show it.

“Must you put me in this situation Architect Ho?” Joohyun spoke softly. “I really don’t –“

“Samonim – your mother in law is looking you.” Director Kim Rae Won approaches them. “I will take you to her.”

“Kamsahamnida Director Kim.” Joohyun looks up at the tall and charming Director of CNB Asia.

“Samonim – you know my wife will nag me if I didn’t follow what she said.”

“Please thank Ah-joong Unnie for me. I’ll be sure to go to your table later.” Joohyun replies. She was grateful for his intervention.

She was saddened at the turn of events. She sincerely wanted to work with Seung Ho but circumstances prove otherwise.

Her mother in law nods graciously at Joohyun when she takes her seat in the Presidential table. Miss Jung coughs and motions her to take a seat.

“Will Hwejangnim be here soon?” The old lady asks.

“Of course he’ll be here.” Her father in law answers.

When the Chairman of CNB Holdings appears he was with a strikingly woman.  Beautifully dressed as a Chinese fairy, Tiffany Tang, CNB Holdings Operations Officer for China. Speculations ran high as the Chairman flew regularly back and forth to China and often not with his Samonim. They posed for photographs with the press. As soon as he seats Tiffany in her assigned table, Yonghwa hurries to the Presidential table. In front of everyone he leans and kisses his wife on the cheek before bowing to his parents and Miss Jung.  

“Mian, Buin – the meeting ran longer than expected then I had to go –“

“Did you arrive here with Miss Tang?” His grand aunt asks.

“Her car pulled up just behind mine. We entered the lobby together.” Yonghwa replies.

There was no reaction from his wife or his mother. His father definitely looked irritated with him.

“Conduct yourselves properly. There are a lot of people watching. Every action can be misunderstood.” Miss Jung’s voice was frosty.

The first dance of the night was the Chairman and Samonim of CNB Holdings. They were a perfect foil for each other. Yonghwa’s dark blue suede suit contrasted with the ice pink gown worn by Joohyun.  Pink diamond chandelier earrings and a magnificent necklace completed her outfit. Lights flash as photographers took pictures of the couple.

The waltz begins and the couple move slowly around the floor.

“How are the children? I miss them.”

“They miss you too but they understand that you are busy.”

“Do you understand me?”

“Of course.”

“Buin.”

“Deh.”

“Look at me.”

Joohyun sighs and looks at her husband.  Tears started to form in her eyes and she looks away again.

“I am really sorry I was late Joohyunah.”

She nods. “I know.”

“I’m trying Joohyunah.”

“I’m trying also Oppa. My best. How about you? Are you trying your best? Arriving with that woman isn’t trying your best. The Elders will misunderstand you. Again.”

“It was really a coincidence.”

“Then the coincidences should stop. For our family’s sake.”

“It’s really just business sweetheart- I don’t know how I can assure you that I would never –“

The dance was over and couples gather on the dance floor. Yonghwa holds his wife’s elbow as they walk back to their table. They were silent as they sat down but Yonghwa kept holding Joohyun’s hand. She didn’t take her hand away and was very much aware of Yonghwa’s thumb lightly rubbing her skin.

Yonghwa looks out in the crowd. He sees Seung Ho standing by the bar talking with other men. Once again he felt the heaviness in his chest. His childhood friend – it was a betrayal that Seung Ho would even consider having feelings for Joohyun. When Ji Soo learned about it he had punched Seung Ho and Yoona had terminated him on the spot. Then the rumors spread about the so-called affair – hurting his wife deeply.

“I just hope Ji Soo stays away from him.” Yonghwa murmurs.

Joohyun sees Tiffany Tang - laughing and flirting with 2 men. She worked hard and played hard. One of the boys. Secretly in love with a married man. Nicolas Tse would never give up his social standing in Shanghai for her. While Joohyun understood the other woman's heartache she didn't appreciate Tiffany fanning the rumor mill about herself

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter