THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When one of the guards knocked on Min Sun’s door she was reviewing the menu for the coming week.  Yonghwa told her over dinner that he would be home for his one week school break and Min Sun had to be certain that the food served that week were all his favorites. The guard told her that Yonguk was requesting to see the Doryeonim as the young master had a guest.

Hurrying to the front door Min Sun was mentally checking if they had a stock of the snacks that Jungshin loves so much, the ice cream that is Minhyuk’s favorite flavor and the tea that Jonghyun always asked her to prepare.

She opens the door to Yonguk with a young woman. Her face bore fresh tears and she was shivering.

But being Min Sun – her face bore no expression as she listened to Yonguk explain that the young woman had come to see the Doryeonim.

“Please tell him it’s Joohyun, Madam” The young girl bows to Min Sun seemingly unaware that she had spoken in English.

Min Sun looks at the young woman before her.  Even with the tear stained face it could not be denied that she was lovely.

“Please come in” Min Sun gestured for the young woman to enter.

Min Sun knew that she looked intimidating to the young woman who seemed not to want to leave Yonguk’s side.

Lightly taking hold of her wrist – Min Sun was surprised to hear the girl gasp in pain.  Looking down Min Sun saw an ugly purple bruise marring the otherwise porcelain skin.

“What happened?” She asked Yonguk. “Why is she hurt?”

“Doryeonim will explain.” Yonguk bows to Min Sun.

“I will be just outside the door Agassi.” Yonguk smiles reassuringly at Joohyun before stepping outside.

“Come sit here in the living room Agassi” Min Sun held her hand softly.  Joohyun felt the warm touch. Smiling shyly she follows the older woman to the main living room.

“Just make yourself comfortable. I will call the Doryeonim.” Min Sun said as she seats Joohyun on the white sofa and covers the young woman’s legs with a throw.

Min Sun literally ran up the stairs to Yonghwa’s room.

 “Yongie – come out there is someone outside waiting to see you.”

“Huh? Are the boys here?” Yonghwa asks as he opens the door.

“No.” Min Sun said.

“What’s with your face?” Yonghwa asked her. Min Sun was agitated and her color was high. 

“Joohyun is downstairs” Min Sun said.

On hearing Joohyun’s name Yonghwa quickly ran towards the stairs.

“She’s in the main living room.” Min Sun called out.

Taking the stairs two at a time Yonghwa ran across the marble flooring belatedly remembering that he was barefoot.

“Joohyun!” He calls out her name.
 

“Oppa!” Joohyun stands up and runs to him tears running down her face yet again. 

Embracing him tightly Joohyun wept and told him that her parents had let Ahjussi go.

“They made him leave his phone so I can’t call him.” Joohyun sobbed. “I feel so bad for him.”

Yonghwa knew that when she was feeling agitated Joohyun would lapse into English. He holds her trembling body and rubs her back.

“Ahem – Doryeonim I’ve made hot tea for the Agassi.” Min Sun approaches them with a tray.  Her eyes clearly signally that Yonghwa stop embracing Joohyun.

“Ah- deh.” Yonghwa releases Joohyun. Taking her hand he leads her to sofa and covers her legs with the throw.

“Joohyun this my Yoo-moh – Min Sun.  She’s taken care of me and brother since forever.” Yonghwa said.

“I’ve heard a lot about you Joohyun. He always talks about you and shows me all your pictures.”

“I apologize for coming here unannounced.” Joohyun bows her head apologetically.

“Please have Yonguk come in.” Yonghwa tells Min Sun.  “I will be the one to serve Joohyun’s tea.”

When Min Sun was out of earshot Joohyun tells Yonghwa what happened that evening and how she was running away from Kyuhyun when Yonguk found her.

“Drink the tea sweetheart. When Min Sun comes back I’ll have her get one of my hoodies to keep you warm.” Yonghwa hands Joohyun the cup.

“Oh – my wind breaker I remember tying it on my waist. It must have fallen.  My phone is there!”

“That’s okay – we can have one of the guards search for it.” He sooths her.

Holding her wrist Yonghwa felt his anger growing – the purple bruise was livid against the soft white skin.

“Doryeonim.” Yonguk approaches them and bows.

“Yonguk – Joohyun says you found her running towards the house?”

“Yes, Agassi was running away from that guy who gave her that bruise.  He’s still outside Doryeonim.  He refuses to leave until he can talk to Agassi. He also has her windbreaker.”

“I’ll go to talk him.” Joohyun made to get up.

“No!” Yonghwa exclaims. “Just stay here and I will talk to him.”

“Oppa - no! You might end up fighting with him.  I don’t want that. “Joohyun said.  “I’ll talk to him so I can get my phone back then I will send him away.”

“Agassi – he can never touch Doryeonim with all the guards here.” Yonguk replies.

“No one is going out but me.” Min Sun said as she hands Yonghwa a tube and a handkerchief. “Apply this to the bruise and tie the handkerchief lightly around her wrist.”

Min Sun motions Yonguk to follow her.

“Oppa – your Yoo-moh reminds me my teachers in high school.” Joohyun said as Yonghwa applies the ointment on her bruise.

“She only looks intimidating but Min Sun is really kind and warm hearted.  She has to be strict of course since Samonim relies on her to run the household.”

“What do think she’ll say to Kyuhyun?” Joohyun asks.

“I don’t know – but he’ll definitely see just how intimidating Min Sun can be.” Yonghwa chuckles.

 “So what happened this afternoon?” Min Sun asks Yonguk while they were on their way out.

Bearing in mind that Yonghwa had specifically instructed them not tell Min Sun about the Mercedes – Yonguk just told her about what happened that morning.

“So this young man is the one that Agassi’s parents want for her?” Min Sun asked in an incredulous tone. “The Doryeonim is a hundred thousand times better than him!”

The tall man nodded in agreement.

As they step out of the gate Yonguk motioned the 4 guards to bring Kyuhyun.

“Where is Joohyun?” Kyuhyun asks Yonguk.

“You will speak to me please.” Min Sun said.

“Is she alright?” Kyuhyun asks.

“She’s shivering with cold from trying to run away from you and she has a hideous bruise on her wrist caused by you.  Would you be alright if you were her?” Min Sun asks in cold tone.

“Tell her I’m sorry please. I didn’t mean to. Can I see her?”

“No, you cannot. I will take the wind breaker please – Agassi needs her phone.” Min Sun takes the windbreaker from Kyuhyun.

His hands tighten on the windbreaker but releases it abruptly when the 4 guards behind him move closer.

“Thank you.” Min Sun folds the coat on her arm and turns away.

“Wait – will Joohyun spend the night here? Her parents will be worried about her.” Kyuhyun exclaims.

“She is in good hands.  She will call her parents shortly. Good night.” Min Sun calls out.

Kyuhyun faces Yonguk.

“Is this the house of the guy who owns the Mercedes I hit today?”

Yonguk and the 4 other guards simultaneously close their eyes. They knew how sharp Min Sun’s hearing is.  Yonguk mentally sighs when they hear her shoes walking back.

“Excuse me young man what did you just say? You hit the Mercedes? Yonguk!” Min Sun looks at the head guard.

“Doryeonim will explain.” Yonguk replies.

“He better. Now get this man’s driver’s license and address and close the gate now!” Min Sun glares at all of them before heading back to the house.

“Just go. Agassi will be fine. However, I cannot say the same for you when you get the bill for the repair of the Mercedes.” Yonguk said to Kyuhyun.

“Who is this guy?” Kyuhyun asks again.

“If the Doryeonim did not tell you who he is then we are not at liberty to say. Now please leave while you still can.” Yonghuk bows slightly and closes the gate. And the 4 guards once again resume their positions outside the gate.

“Must be some kind of gangster….”Kyuhyun mutters to himself as he walks back to Joohyun’s house. 

But he didn’t want to get Joohyun into further trouble by telling her parents where she was so before he drives off, he texts her another apology and asks her to meet him the next day.

Meanwhile back at Yonghwa’s house…..

He looks up as Min Sun comes in holding Joohyun’s windbreaker.

She silently hands Joohyun the windbreaker and seats herself in the chair facing the couple. Her face had no expression.

Yonghwa knew what that face meant. She knew about the Mercedes.

“Did Yonguk or any of the guards tell you?” Yonghwa asks.

“No – the young man outside did. When were you planning to tell me?”  Min Sun arched an eyebrow at her ward.

“Aish – stupid guy! Don’t mind him.  I will handle the cost for the repair. Do not tell my parents. And that’s not a request.” Yonghwa sighs as he holds Joohyun’s hand.

“Agassi – you need to call your parents. They will be worried.” Min Sun stood up to take the tray. “I’ll leave you with Doryeonim.”

“Oppa – can you take me to Yoona’s house?” Joohyun ask as she starts to dial Yoona’s number.

“Of course – but can’t you just sleep here?” Yonghwa asks.

“Ye? How can I sleep here? Your parents? Your Yoo-moh?” Joohyun exclaims closing her phone.

“No she can’t Doryeonim – I don’t plan to be fired anytime soon neither does Yonguk and I do not want the house help talking.” Min Sun returns to the living room with one of Yonghwa’s hoodies.

“But she can stay for a while.” Yonghwa said.

“Call you parents first Agassi.” Min Sun urged Joohyun. Seating herself in front of the couple Min Sun had to bite her inner cheek to keep from smiling as she watches Yonghwa gently help Joohyun wear the hoodie. He zips up it up and carefully fixes her ponytail, tenderly tucking the stray strands behind her ears.

Joohyun’s phone starts to vibrate.

“It’s a message from Kyuhyun.” Joohyun said.

“What does he want now?” Yonghwa get the phone from Joohyun and reads the message.

“What?” Joohyun and Min Sun chorused.

“He’s apologizing and he wants to meet with you tomorrow.” Yonghwa said. “Not happening.”

“Oppa!” Joohyun said.

“Not happening.” Yonghwa repeated.

“Even if I’m with Yoona or my other unnies?”  Joohyun asks.

“Not happening.” Yonghwa hit the dial button.

He waited until Kyuhyun answered. “Listen, you are not talking to Joohyun anytime soon. You come near her and I’ll charge you with assault. And I mean it. I will contact you when I want to talk to you.”

“Forward his contact number to my phone Joohyun” Yonghwa said as he closes her phone. “You are not to talk to him or go near him arasso?”

Joohyun’s eyes widens. She’s only ever - since knowing him- used that tone of voice just once - when he was talking to Min Ho. It made him cold and aloof. A quiet even tone laced with steel.

“Yah! Jung Yonghwa! You’re scaring her!” Min Sun snaps at Yonghwa.

“Mian, sweetheart. I’m angry at him and not at you.  I promise to talk reasonably to him.  I will be the one to make him understand about us okay? Please.” Yonghwa kisses her bandaged wrist.

Joohyun nods and gets the phone from him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter