HIS WIFE - The First Step to Forever

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun looks at Yonghwa. “Oppa?” She asks him. “Go ahead and open it Joohyun-ah” He nods his head.

There was calm that settled on Yonghwa.  He wasn’t anxious nor was he nervous.  He just heard his child’s heart beat – he was a father.  He was responsible for Joohyun and their baby. For the rest of their lives. Taking her hand and kissing it he says, “Don’t worry – it won’t change anything between us.”

She nods silently and taking a deep breath opens the envelope.

The 2 documents were there, slowly taking them out –Joohyun shows them to Yonghwa.

The documents were signed and stamped by Atty. Seo.  She turns to her father and with tears running down her face bows and thanks her parents.

“Thank you so much Appa, thank you so much Omma – it means so much to us to have your blessings. Samonim, Hwejangnim – I will do my best for the rest of my life to be the wife you always wanted Oppa to have. I may be lacking in many ways and would fail many times but one thing is always certain – I will always love him for himself.”

“Joohyun-ah, sweetheart – don’t cry.” Yonghwa embraces her tightly. “It’s bad for the baby.” His face was just as wet as hers.

“Why are all of you crying?” Hwejangnim blinks back his tears. “We’re supposed to be happy – you children are getting married. Yeobo – stop crying – and tell the children what we have been doing since we last saw them.”

“Ah-deh. Mian- Yeobo. I was just carried away by Joohyun’s words. Of course – we are happy to have you as our daughter Joohyun. And that you love Yonghwa for himself will always be the best qualification for a wife for our son.”

“Alright – just to let you both know we met the next day to discuss the documents you had given us.  All four of us went to Atty Cho’s office for further discussion.”

“You must have charmed Atty Cho - he was acting as your lawyer.  He kept your interest all thru our meeting with him.  He had two of the office employees’ witness your father’s signing and stamping. Your marriage registration – you can file it anytime you want.  Atty Seo said he will accompany you – you just need to tell him where and when.”

“Thank you Abeonim” Yonghwa bows to Atty. Seo. “It will be next week – Tuesday to be exact.  I have no subjects that day.”

“No school that day waeyo?” Hwejangnim asks.

“He is exempted from the test as he helped his professor make the test.” Joohyun replies and smiling widely at Yonghwa. “Because my baby’s Appa is smart.”

“Ah cham – you’re getting as cheesy as he is.” Hwejangnim snorted.  Everyone laughed.

“Your Omma and I have been busy planning your ceremony.  Don’t worry it’s just a draft – you will need to agree to it.” Samonim adds.

“Hyunnie – Samonim and I were thinking of a simpler wedding.  We thought you would want that too. It won’t be strenuous for you. “Her Omma adds.

“BUT – it will be perfectly alright if you want something grander. You just need to tell us. Your Omma and I will help you with everything – “Samonim interjects. “I know my son – he’ll probably want to put his opinions.”

“Oh – I’m overwhelmed – I really don’t know what to say.” Joohyun puts her hands over her face.” I’m too happy.”

“It’s a good thing.” Yonghwa puts his arm on her shoulders and hugs her.

“Can you give me the draft so Oppa and I discuss it and I’ll tell you tomorrow? You will be here tomorrow right?” Joohyun leans forward and holds both Samonim’s and her Omma’s hands. “I missed you all so much.”

“We were busy planning your future, child.” Samonim smiles and gently pats her hand.

“Here is the tea. Your favorite Hwejangnim – Gukhwa cha.  Joohyun also likes this.”  Min Sun sets the pot of tea and the tea cups. “Mianeheyo Samonim – I only asked the guards to bring the house tea set.”

“That’s alright – Samonim replies. “This is a good set – Joohyun can practice on this.” She pours tea on the tiny cups with ease – her elbow and hands in a graceful arc – not one drop spilled.

“Practice?” Joohyun takes the cup and inhales the wonderful smell of chrysanthemum.

“Of course. That is something you will need to preside on in the future.  Hwejangnim’s family has tea cermeonies on important dates – such as birthdays, anniversaries, memorials etc. and eventually as Samonim you will have to do that.  Don’t worry it is not learned overnight.  Ideally young girls are taught but I never had to teach anyone because my children were boys.”

“Hyunnie – you can show Samonim what your Halmoni taught you and Yoona when you were little.  My mother had a tea set – it’s in their old house – she used to teach them how to serve tea in.”

“Can I ask you all if you would be having early lunch? Hyunie needs to eat soon.” Min Sun calls out from the kitchen.  “Yong – go and text your cousin if he and Bo Ah are eating lunch here.”

“Deh Yoh Moh” Yonghwa brings out his phone. “Oh I set my phone to mute – I have several messages.”

He scrolls down and reads them. “One is from Suzy – she and Ga Young are coming over this afternnon no matter what I say. Yoona and your unnies are coming after dinner.  Jonghyun should be here too of course.  Jungshin and Minhyuk will be coming tomorrow morning. Oh – and one from Shin Hye.”

“Shin Hye?” Joohyun turns to him. “What did she say?”

“She’s asking if she can come over to visit you.  Even for a short time.” Yonghwa looks at her. “It’s up to you Sweetheart – I’m fine with it.”

“No – Joohyun can’t see her. Not in this state.” Samonim remarked. “Just tell her Joohyun will see her sometime soon in our house.”

“Samonim –“Joohyun looks at her future mother in law.

 “I’m sorry Joohyun but like I told you before – you become CNB Holdings’ daughter not just mine and Hwejangnim’s. Shin Hye will come here dressed, coiffed and made up – even just to hand you a bouquet of flowers. Because she is Park Industries’ daughter not just her father’s. And CNB Holdings can never be put at a disadvantage.” Samonim held Joohyun’s hand – squeezing lightly in earnest.

“Omma! You’re scaring her!’ Yonghwa scowled at his mother.

“Scaring her? On the contrary I am arming her.  Joohyun will always be Hwejangnim’s only daughter and your wife as such she is a reflection of all that CNB Holdings is and will be.  I promise to teach you everything Joohyun-ah. Trust me it’s harder for women in this world than it is for the men.” Samonim looked earnestly at Joohyun – her eyes mirroring only concern and kindness.

“Just tell her what Samonim said Oppa.” Joohyun tells Yonghwa. “Don’t worry Samonim – when I decided on loving Oppa I also decided that I will learn everything about his world.”

“Wah – you’re so brave Hyunnie.” Her mother smiles at Joohyun.

“Alright – time to eat. Chadol baki (sliced beef brisket) and Dakjuk (chicken porridge). It’s not spicy Hyunnie. Now you have to eat both alright?” Min Sun puts the dishes on the dining table and sets out bowls of rice for everybody. “Hyunnie’s going to start eating more.”

“That’s good.” Mrs. Seo reaches to squeeze Joohyun’s hand.

Only Yonghwa was aware that Joohyun felt hesitant about the food.  He mentally sighs with relief when she picks up her chopsticks and starts eating. She ate slowly and sipped her orange juice often.

“Yonghwa – why are you not eating?”Atty Seo asks.

“Ah – mian Abeonim I will eat.” Yonghwa starts to eat periodically stopping to smile encouraging at Joohyun.

No one commented when she was still eating while everyone was already having fruit.  She finished her food but only took a few slices of strawberries for dessert.

“You did very well sweetheart.” Yonghwa whispers before kissing her ear. She smiles at him and nods.

 When they were all seated on the sofa Mrs. Seo asks Joohyun when she would be discharged.

“Sunday Omma” Joohyun unconsciously reaches for Yonghwa’s hand. “Dr. Kwon will see me in the morning and I will most probably be discharged at 1 pm”

Joohyun looks at their parents’ faces.  She knew they wanted to hear where she was going after the discharge. Taking a deep breath she tells them, “I’m going to Suwon with Oppa. The finals is coming soon so it’l be hard for him to go back and forth from Suwon to Seoul.”

“He’s not driving, Ddal.” Hwejangnim remarks bringing a blush to Joohyun’s face as she was still shy with him. That he called her daughter touched her deeply. “You’ll make both your Omma and Samonim worry about you – alone in that house while the boys are in school. Besides – you will be planning the wedding ceremony for next month.  I personally don’t want you travelling back forth.”

“How about this Princess? You can stay in either house until you get married up to September when school starts by that time you’ll be 6 months and not that delicate anymore then you can stay in Suwon with Yonghwa.” Atty Seo looks at the couple.

Yonghwa hides his smile by looking the other way.  His future father in law was the master of concession – he wasn’t an ace A & M lawyer for nothing.   Joohyun squeezes his hand to get his attention.

“Don’t look at me.” Yonghwa says to Joohyun. “I am going with you wherever you decide – even if you want to stay here.”

Joohyun looks at all their faces and sighs. “Alright – I’ll stay at Oppa’s during the week and spend weekends with Omma.  But I really want to stay in Suwon – when school starts.”

“I’m going with her to Suwon so don’t worry.” MinSun declares.

“Kamsahamnida Madame” Joohyun giggles.

By 3 pm they were literally invaded.  Suzy and Ga Young came with flowers, a cake and balloons.

“Unnie!” Suzy burst thru the door followed by Ga Young.  They make a beeline for the sofa where Suzy yanks Yonghwa off the sofa. “Oppa can you move? I want to embrace Unnie.”

“Yah – not so tight – she’s pregnant!” Yonghwa scolds his cousin.

“Unnie – these are for you.” Ga Young says in her soft voice handing Joohyun a bouquet of pink carnations.

“Oh – thank you Ga Young!” Joohyun leans to give Yonghwa’s youngest cousin a kiss.

“Let’s eat cake Unnie – I know you’ll like this – it’s just a light angel food cake with butter cream frosting and fresh fruits. You have to try - I made it.”Suzy said. “Yoh Moh can you please cut up slices for us”

“I helped.” Ga Young adds earning her a kiss on the forehead by Yonghwa.”Of course you did chunsa.”

“Yah – don’t show your favoritism again!” Suzy scowls.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter