HIS WIFE - THE FLIGHT

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What – what did you say?”  He was dreaming of course.

“Atty Seo – chaebal! Joohyun needs you.”

“I – I – her mother and I are coming – right now!” His voice was trembling.

“She needs to go a bigger hospital or she may lose her baby! My Aunt is on her way to the farm and then we’ll go to Gwanju as soon as she gets here.”

“Keure – do everything possible!”  He answers.

“Yeobo – who was that?”

He looks up to see his wife by the door.

“Joohyun – Joohyun’s bleeding.” He goes to his wife. “Get dressed we need to go to her.”

“No – no – she’s just like me” She starts to cry.

Her baby needed her.

“Where? Where is she? Tell me now!”

“In Gwangju –“

“That’s so far – “

“They’ll take her to the hospital in Gwangju – hurry let’s dress up and go!”

“Yonghwa – we have to tell Yonghwa” She runs back to Joohyun’s room to get the mobile phone.

Yonghwa answers after just one ring.

“Yonghwa – it’s Omma.  Palli! Come here we have to go to Joohyun – right now! We’ll wait for you!”

Joohyun’s parents were outside their gate when Yonghwa arrived.

“Sir! Please tell me where she is – what is happening!” Yonghwa runs to them.  He was with his mother and Min Sun.

“She’s in Gwangju -“ her father said.” Let’s go now – “

“Yonghwa – she has to go to a hospital – she- she’s bleeding.” Her mother starts to cry. “So let’s hurry alright.”

“Where is she in Gwanju – tell me exactly where she is –“Yonghwa asks.

“They are going to Eden Hospital” Atty Seo said. “Wait my phone is ringing –“

“Yobosayo – Gikwang! What – you’re just in the clinic? Why? Can I talk to Dr. Kang?”

“Dr. Kang – you need to talk to my wife? Arrasso I’ll give her the phone.” Atty Seo hands the phone to his wife.

“Yobosayo – deh this is Joohyun’s Omma. Yes- I did -2 miscarriages before Joohyun and 1 more after her. She got this from me right?” Her mother starts to cry.”How is she?  Please tell her we’re coming. Tell her Yonghwa’s coming.”

“Ommonim –can I please talk to the Doctor?” Yonghwa asks.

Joohyun’s Omma silently hands him the phone with tears streaming down her face.  Atty Seo sembraces his sobbing wife.

“Yobosayo - Doctor – this is Yonghwa – ah deh I am Joohyun’s young man.  How is she?” Yonghwa listens to Doctor Kang.

“So she can’t be moved? Algeussiminida. You already called for an ambulance? “

“We need to go now – “Atty Seo tells Yonghwa.

“Just a minute Sir – “Yonghwa holds his hand up.” Dr.Kang is there an open field close to the clinic? Deh- can a car reach it?  Can you please wait - ”

Yonghwa dials a number.


“Appa – mian I had to wake you up.   I need your help. Joohyun needs to go to the hospital. Can you get her?  Yes, she’s bleeding Appa – she can’t be moved –“ Yonghwa had to stop speaking as his tears theathened to overwhelm him.

“Let me speak to your Appa” Samonim gets the phone from Yonghwa.”Yeobo – you should wake up the pilot so that your son can talk to him.”

“Yobosayo – Dr Kang – mianhaeyo – thank you for holding – can you tell me exactly where the clinic is?” Yonghwa listens carefully to the doctor and relays the location to his father.

“Yonghwa – what are you doing? How are we going to get to Joohyun? “Her mother touches Yonghwa’s arm.

“Ommonim – my father is in Jejudo – he will go to where Joohyun is by helicopter. They’ll land on the field at the foot of the mountain and he’ll take her to Jung Shinhwa Hospital. We’ll wait for her there – in less than 2 hours.”

“How can you be sure that Joohyun can even ride a helicopter? “ Atty Seo asks.

“Doctor Kang told me she’ll be with Joohyun – she’ll take care of Joohyun during the flight.” Yonghwa tells him.

“Yong – we should call Doctor Kwon.” Min Sun approaches him.

“Yes, please call him. Have Samonim talk to him and to get the hospital ready.” Yonghwa replies.

He faces Joohyun’s parents and bows slightly. “Let’s go to the hospital now. Would you like to ride in the van or or are you driving your car Sir?”

“We can follow you to the hospital.” Atty Seo tells him.

In the car Joohyun’s mother dials Yoona’s number and tells her what is happening.

“You can come later in the morning with your Appa.  Hopefully Joohyun would have been treated by then.  Jung Shinhwa Hospital. Call me when you’re in the lobby and I will tell you what room number she is in.”

“Didn’t you just feel like that boy took over the whole situation?” Atty Seo asks his wife.

“Yes, and I’m glad.  “She smiles at him as he frowns at her.

Meanwhile back in Gwangju….

“Joohyun, Joohyun, child – how are you feeling?” Ahjumma holds the young woman’s hand tightly.

“Ahjumma – why are we here in the clinic?  I have to go to the hospital –“ Joohyun said in a weak voice.

“Don’t worry – Doctor Kang is arranging for an ambulance to come.” The old woman told her.

Just then Doctor Kang comes in with Gikwang.

“Joohyun – hold on alright?” Doctor Kang checks her pulse. “Try to relax.  I will go with you.”

Gikwang and his Aunt had decided not to tell Joohyun about talking to her parents or her boyfriend.  She wanted the young woman to stabilize before they board the helicopter. The flight would be risky but Doctor Kang wanted to her to have medical attention as soon as possible.

The doctor’s phone rings. “Yobosayo – yeh this is Doctor Kang. You are in the field already? Yes, we’ll be there soon.”

Gikwang hurries to the room and gently lifts Joohyun.  Doctor Kang holds the IV drip.

“Ahjumma – help me with Joohyun.  Sit with her at the back of the car.” The doctor instructs.

They head out to the open road – passing thru endless fences until they turn to the dirt road that runs to the side of the mountain.

The white helicopter glistened in the night like a huge white bird.  The interior lights were on and the pilot and a lone passenger got out as soon as the car came up from the dirt road.

Gikwang stops the car and with Doctor Kan’s help lifts Joohyun and heads for the helicopter.  They were met by a very distinguished man.

“Ah – please let me help you.” He opens the passenger side of the helicopter. He assists Doctor Kang first and then helps Gikwang with Joohyun. They make sure that she was lying comfortably on Doctor Kang’s lap. He gives the Doctor 2 sets of head gear.

“Here put this on yourself and the girl.  The sound of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter