His Wife - Stickier Situations (Part 2)

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stickier Situations (Part 2)

JOOHYUN

She had no particular dress to wear for that day so she just randomly picked out a light yellow Dior shift that her mother had bought for her.  She combed out her hair and put the pearl headband on.  She had simple pearl earrings on and a wrist watch.  She had first refused to wear contact lenses but her mother continued to nag her about her nonchalant attitude for this first “date” with Kyuhyun that she finally agreed on wearing contacts. She balked at the high heels but figured that she would have to wear them sooner or later.

Looking at herself in the mirror Joohyun couldn’t help becoming misty eyed.  She should have dressed like this for Yonghwa.  She should have been bright eyed and excited for her very first date. But instead it felt like a chore.

Shaking her head to get back to reality. Joohyun picked up her purse and taking a deep breath she was about to step out of her room when her mobile started ringing.

“Oppa!” Joohyun whispered. She ran to her bathroom and closed the door.

“So are you all set and ready? You must be looking beautiful.”

Just hearing him made Joohyun’s heart constrict with sadness.  She took a huge breath and let it out slowly before answering him.

“I wish we were out on a date Oppa.  But I don’t have time think about that now. I need to focus on talking to Kyuhyun so that the next date I have will be with you.”

“Remember – just eat with him, tell him your reasons and go home with Ahjussi. I’ll be waiting for your call.”

“Of course – and Oppa?’’
“Uhm- deh?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too, sweetheart.”

Joohyun had to wash her face with cold water and apply her makeup again. If her mother noticed her red rimmed eyes she didn’t comment and for that Joohyun was thankful.

The car ride with Dong Il was a quiet one.  That’s what she liked most about Ahjussi – he let have her quiet times and he never over stepped his boundaries.  It was always her who spoke first and sometimes she felt better just by knowing that someone knew about Yonghwa and was willing to help them.

“Ahjussi, please wait for me,” Joohyun said just before she got down in front of The Soho Restaurant.

“Your mother told me that Kyuhyun will take you home.” Ahjusshi said.

“No,” Joohyun shook her head. “I promised Yonghwa Oppa that I will not let Kyuhyun take me home.”

“Ahgassi – listen to me – your mother will be suspicious if you don’t let Kyuhyun do this.”

“Ahjussi – today I will tell Kyuhyun that I will not go through with this engagement. So I don’t think he’ll want to take me home after that.”

“Let him take you home.  As for your promise to your young man, I will talk to him.”

“Ahjussi! You know Oppa’s number?”

“Of course I made it my business to know. Now run along.  I’ll just follow you home if that makes you feel better.”

Stepping into the restaurant she waited to be seated. It seems that Kyuhyun was late.

She was walking towards her seat when Kyuhyun caught up with her.  She tried not to flinch when his hand held her elbow as he steered her to their booth. She felt self-conscious and somehow felt as if someone was observing them.

They quickly ordered and were left awkwardly facing each other when the server left them.

“How are you?” Kyuhyun started the conversation.

“You saw me during the company New Year party in our house.” Joohyun replied.

“Yes, but I did get a feeling that you were trying to avoid me.”

“I was just busy hosting.”

Just then their food came.  She knew that Kyuhyun would glance up at her but she kept her eyes on her plate and continued eating. 

When the meal finished, Kyuhyun signalled the server and asked for the dessert menu. Joohyun declined anything and just requested for a cup of tea.  Kyuhyun requested the same.  When the pot came she poured the tea in the cups and couldn’t help but regret the situation that she and Kyuhyun were both in.

“I feel that you have something on your mind.” Kyuhyun took a sip of the tea and looked at her.

“Yes, I do. I have something to say to you.”Joohyun replied.

“Let me tell you that I know what you’re going to say – you don’t want this engagement. Right?”

Joohyun nodded her head.

“Hyun – I know that it’s awkward for you and believe me it is awkward for me too. Like I told you before I would have wanted to court you properly but our parents were just in agreement for us to be together.”

“Like my parents you weren’t even remotely concerned with what I felt.  You and mother even picked out a ring. So how can you tell me that it’s awkward for you?”

“Hyun – like I told you – I’ve looked at you since you were 12. I was at your piano recital. You were a beautiful girl who grew up to become a lovely young woman. I admit I took advantage of your parents’ approval of me to press my suit for you. But I am sincere. I want us to get to know each other. Forget about the ring it was a mistake on my part.”

Joohyun took a deep breath and looked him in eye.

“I have someone that I love very much. And this engagement has put a strain in my relationship with my parents. I didn’t even have the chance to introduce him to them.  But I am also being sincere to you – even if I didn’t have that person – I would still be against this engagement. I deserve the right to choose the person I love, the person I will marry, the father of my children.  I know my Appa is being over protective – being his only child and a female at that I am logical enough to accept that this is natural for him. But still – I am my own person.  Please be kind enough to accept that. “

“Hyun…our parents will be disappointed.”

“Honestly – right now – I don’t care. I don’t think you want someone you’re engaged to be resentful of you. And I will fight this. I just regret that we are in this situation. I know you have all the qualities that a girl would want for boyfriend and eventually a husband. But I already have someone. We could have been great friends.”

“Is that why you don’t call me Oppa?” Kyuhyun asked quietly.

“The term is used for men that a girl is close with – we aren’t friends.”

“I’m sorry to hear that – but I can’t give up on the engagement Hyun. I want you to become my fiancé and my wife eventually.  In the summer, when I finish my studies in the USA I will pursue you ardently.  It doesn’t matter to me if you’re still with that other guy. I have your parents’ approval and I have the upper hand.”

“Spoken like a true lawyer.  I think I’ll leave now. “Joohyun was devastated but she presented her calmest face.

As they were headed out a girl stood up and waved at them.  Joohyun didn’t know her and was surprised when she came up and took Joohyun’s hand.

“Joohyun! So glad to see you!” The girl looked like something from a high fashion photo shoot. She was beautiful and her English was flawless.

“Hello, I’m Park Shin Hye, Joohyun’s friend.” The girl extended her hand to Kyuhyun.

“Oh, and this is my namja chingoo – Jung Yong Hwa.” Shin Hye stepped a bit on side as the man behind took a step forward with his hand extended to Kyuhyun.

Joohyun’s eyes widened and she took an involuntary step back.

Jung Yong Hwa looked every bit like the chaebol heir that he was. He was dressed like a model for GQ. His upswept hair made his sharp features even handsomer.  He was wearing the diamond stud earrings that Joohyun had given him for Christmas.

Yonghwa bowed to Joohyun and shook K

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter