HIS WIFE - FIERCE (Part 1)

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And just like that their twins were 3 years old.

Joohyun takes the album from the coffee table. She had a soft smile on her lip as her hands trace the faces of the twins.

The youngest of their precious children.

Joohyunn and Yonghwa despaired so much when they were born. They had to be put in the pediatric ICU because they had breathing on their own. Especially her little boy – he was lighter in birth than his sister. But Director Kwon comforted them – their little boy was a fighter because despite of the conditions in the womb that made his sister the more dominant twin – Yong So managed to survive.

Despite of all odds he managed to overcome low birth weight, trouble with regulating his body temperature and a terrifying brush with pneumonia. It had been a harrowing experience not just for the couple but for their older siblings as well.

As parents, she and Yonghwa were touched by the overwhelming care and love their 3 older children showed the twins. When the family was told that the twins had to stay behind for further care, Jae told them that they would rather stay in the hospital as well. All 3 were frequent visitors to the PICU. They donned masks and gowns - looking on patiently as the nurses took care of the little ones. Sun was the most persistent – convincing the nurses to let his little finger to touch Hyun Jae or Yong So’s hand.

When their little girl was allowed to stay with Joohyun in the suite – Aeyah’s face was wet with tears when she held her sister for the first time. From then on there was never a lack of someone to hold Hyun Jae – all their kids vied to hold her longer.

And her husband.

Jung Yonghwa, CEO of CNB Holdings cried his heart out when he held his twins the first time. He was all too aware of the possible complications that they faced. They were so small and their little boy was quieter than any of the babies they had.

A far thinking man – he already requested Director Kwon to assembly a team of nurses and doctors to look after their twins. Special nurses and the pediatric specialists were on call in case the twins developed problems.

Yonghwa was the first face Joohyun saw when she woke up from the operation. The warm hands that clasped her own and assured her that the babies where stable. She made him promise her that he would never keep her in the dark with regards to their health. He and Madame took care of her – more often than not - telling the nurses that he would be the one to help her – in sitting down, in going to the bathroom and even bathing her. He asked the residents to teach him how to take care of her wound. He was patient, caring and most of all a source of strength for her and their children.

He held office in the other suite just as their children studied there as well. The twins brought them even closer as a family. If he had to attend meetings he was usually back before dinner and delegated overseas trips as well. He held her securely as they walked to visit their twins in the PICU. He wore the gown and mask just like Joohyun and they took turns in holding their babies. He visited the PICU twice a day and required a daily report on the twins’ progress.

Yonghwa stayed in the PICU for 3 days when the doctors treated his little son for possible pneumonia. Joohyun was crying so much by then that she couldn’t even feed Hyun Jae. He curtly told his Board of Directors that he was needed as a father and told them to refer all business issues to the Chairman Emeritus. He held his son the whole night – watching the little one breathe.

After 2 weeks when his immune system had stabilized, the doctors said Yong So could stay with them in suite. Yonghwa held his son tenderly and placed the baby in Joohyun’s arms. Their older children, their parents and Min Sun all cried when the little one led on his mother’s for the first time.

Head Guard Bang Yongguk came with their old rocking chair much to Joohyun’s delight. She was a proud mother when Yonghwa held their little girl and sang the lullaby that he’d sung to all their children. The creaking rocking chair bringing back all the wonderful memories of when they were starting their family.

Their babies came home 4 months after they were born. Yoona and Taemin personally renovated and decorated the upstairs guest room to become a nursery. They had quiet gathering among family and close friends to welcome the little ones.

Growing up, Hyun Jae and Yong So were vastly different from each other as their family soon found out.

Hyun Jae was just like Yong Sun – she was loud and ate a lot. When she was 8 months she weighed even more than Yong Sun when he was the same age. She was a fat little baby that gurgled, laughed, cried and demanded attention from everyone. She was first in development of motor skills and her pediatrician was very satisfied with her progress.

Yong So was more like Jae Hwa in temperament. At 8 months he was still underweight. A serious, quiet baby who seldom cried and didn’t take to just anyone. He seldom smiled and was often content to be just in Joohyun or Yonghwa or Min Sun’s arms. He lagged behind in development of motor skills and his pediatrician was always trying to calm Joohyun and Yonghwa’s fears about his slow progress. He would catch up she assured the worried parents.

Despite of having a nursery room, Yonghwa had the twin’s cribs brought to the master bedroom. It would make it easier for Joohyun to feed them and calm his anxieties as well. He felt a whole lot better when he had Yong So sleep on his chest. The little one’s breathing assured Yonghwa that he was fine.

They were bottle fed earlier than their siblings but that suited their father just fine. He was never too sleepy or too tired to stand up and give one or both a warm bottle. Joohyun worried about Yonghwa’s health but he assured her that he was fine.

The twins grew up under the watchful eye of their families. No expense was spared and their growth was carefully monitored. Yong So did eventually catch up with Hyun Jae in terms of infant development but the girl remained the dominant twin because he was a naturally quiet child.

Their first birthday rivalled even their eldest brother’s first birthday. Once again the amusement park was closed for their party and fireworks lit up the sky for an hour. Their grandparents gave every guest a gold coin. The next day – everyone who went to amusement park was given a free pass courtesy of the twins’ grandparents.

For their first birthdays, Jae, Aeyah and Sun all picked money during the Doljabi ritual.

During the twins’ ritual everyone watched carefully what the little ones would pick. The items were placed in front of the twins – 2 pencils, 2 threads, 2 small mounds of rice and 2 crisp $100 US dollar bills courtesy of their paternal grandfather.

Jaeyah touched the pencil but didn’t pick it, she passed over the rice picks up the money putting it in much to her parents’ dismay. Jae lifts her up and removes the money – giving his little sister her favorite pacifier so she wouldn’t cry.

Everyone was now looking at So-so. The little boy looked at everyone and started blinking his eyes. This usually meant that he was about to cry.

His grandmothers wanted to call off the ritual because they didn’t want the little one upset but Yonghwa hunkers down and gently kisses his youngest boy’s hand.

“What does our little So-so like? Show Appa.”

The tear filled eyes blink as the little one looks at his father. His little fingers points at the thread.

“Go and get it for Appa.” Yonghwa tells him.

The little one leans over and crawls towards the thread and sits down on top of it. His little hand picks up the money bill and crawls back to his father. Unlike Jaeyah, So-so just holds the bill in his hand.

Everyone starts to clap startling the little one, who starts to cry – his little arms reaching out for his father. Yonghwa was chuckling when he picks up his little one. For the rest of birthday party up until he fell asleep, So-so did not let go of his father’s shirt.

That night…..

“What did you think of the doljabi?” Yonghwa cuddles up next to his wife. “Were you just as surprised as I was about the twins’ choice?”

“I was – really. How could our children all pick the same thing?” She looks at him. “If I were a baby I would pick the pencil. How about you Oppa?”

“I picked money according to my mother.” He winks at her.

“Ah cham- chaebol to the core just like your children.” Joohyun laughs then holds her stomach. There were still times when her C section still gave a twinge.

Just as swiftly Yonghwa’s warm hand covers her own. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine Oppa. You keep worrying.” She turns and snuggles closer to him putting her face on his neck.

“It’s my job to worry about you and the kids.” He kisses her temple as they settle down to sleep.

There was a soft knock on her door and Minsun comes in with the twins.

“Hello our babies!” Joohyun opens her arms and her baby girl Jaeyah runs to her arms. Joohyun kisses her little girl’s neck making Jaeyah giggle.

“Go to Omma.” Min Sun leans and kisses the little hand that clutched her forefinger.

“So-so-yah come to Omma.” Joohyun calls out.

So-so walks slowly but his face was smiling. His little arms reach out and Joohyun had to blink back tears. Her littlest baby worried her a lot but she was grateful - would always be grateful that he was healthy. The twins stayed with Joohyun until their siblings came home and after that they were fed and bathed sometimes by Joohyun and Aeyah, sometimes by Jae and Sun. If Yonghwa got home early he would always put them to bed – singing them a lullabye.

“Are you alright Buin?” Yonghwa looks worriedly at her. Joohyun was quiet during dinner and even when they took their shower.

“Deh.” She buries his face on his chest. “I’m worried lately.”

“Worried? About what?” Yonghwa asks.

“I’m worried about my babies’ father. He’s taking care of everything on top of working in the office. I am worried for his health.”

“I’m fine. Three years and I still take a short nap in the afternoon as per your instructions to Naeun.” He kisses her forehead. “You should see her – she would make Krystal proud. Firm and professional – no meetings are allowed to go over the allotted time. Lunch meetings are always in the Board Room and none go past 1 PM so I can nap until 1:45. Afternoon meetings start at 2 and are only up to 4:30. She must have been a drill sergeant in a past life.”

Joohyun giggles softly. Whenever her friends visited Joohyun at home she, Yoona, Taeyeon and Krystal had a good time laughing about Naeun’s strictness.

“How is Krystal? Minhyuk said it could be any day now. He’s so distracted that Jonghyun constantly has to scold him. I told Jonghyun to put him on leave until Krystal gives birth – he’s on leave starting next week.”

“Yes – you know babies are notorious for being too early or too late. She was feeling uncomfortable when she was here the last time but she had a great time holding the babies.” Joohyun yawns and snuggles closer to her husband’s body. “You feel so warm. Love you Oppa.”

Yonghwa kisses her forehead. “Sleep.”

They fell asleep in each other’s arms like they always did.

The next day….

“Do you think the babies are awake already?” Yong Sun looks at his brother and sister. Their youngest siblings still slept in cots in their parents’ room. Their father still worried about their youngest brother’s health and Hyun Jae couldn’t sleep without her twin.

“It’s the weekend – Appa gets to sleep in but you know he’d be awake soon as one of the babies wake up.”

Aeyah and Yong Sun put their heads against the master bedroom door.

“Well?” Jae asks. He had to leave in an hour but wanted to see his parents and the babies before he left. He was very busy with school. Student Council President as well as graduating as Number 1 in his class.

Even his parents told him to take it easy. It was tiring and difficult but it was goal he had set for himself.

“Not a sound Oppa.” Aeyah looks at her brother.

She too was leaving in 2 hours for training. She balanced school work and her equestrian training the best she could. It was the only way that her father would let her compete. He didn’t demand high grades but he did require that she be within the median range in academics. A failing mark would be fatal at this time. She was competing in the Asia Pacific meet and she wanted to win or at least rank. Her trainer was hopeful. Today after training she needed to meet with her tutor about her 2 worst subjects – calculus and physics. No matter how Jae or her tutor explained it - they just weren’t going to her head. This is was a bad thing because Appa would stop her training – he wasn’t above doing that.

‘Oh what are you are doing there?” Yonghwa asks them. He was holding Yong So in his arms.

“Appa!” His children chorus.

“Aegyah! So-so yah!” Aeyah and Yong Sun coo at their youngest sibling.

“So-so baby woke up quite early today so I took him with me so that Omma and Jaeyah could sleep some more.” Yonghwa tells them. “Be careful – he’s very sleepy.” He transfers the toddler to Sun’s arms.

“And where are the 2 of you going? Have you eaten?” He asks his 2 oldest children.

“School work Appa.” Jae sighs. He really preferred working alone but his homeroom teacher assigned him 2 members and he knew that it was so that their grades could be pulled up. “Then I’ll come right back home to do my thesis.”

“And you? Training? Then after?” Yonghwa looks at Aeyah. He was very much aware that his daughter was lagging behind in her grade point average. He wasn’t a demanding parent and he knew that his two younger children struggled to emulate their eldest brother. But he had a standing agreement with his daughter and younger son – they could keep their favorite sports as long as they maintained the grade point average they agreed upon.

“Tutor.” Aeyah answers. “Then home.”

“No outings – its exam time.” Yonghwa tells her.

“Ara.” Aeyah rolls her eyes. “Everyone is studying.”

“Sunah?” Yonghwa looks at his younger son who was gently rocking the toddler. “Training today?”

“None Appa. Coach told us to study. Tutor is coming after lunch. And I did my homework ask Hyung.”

“We’re going to eat already Appa. Join us – we haven’t eaten with you in 2 weeks.” Jae tells his father.

“Alright – I’ll follow. I’ll just put So-so back in his cot.” Yonghwa takes the sleeping child.

“Promise.” Jae looks at his father.

“Promise.” Yonghwa nods and goes inside the master bedroom.

Walking quietly he puts the little boy down and gently tucks the blanket around him. He looks over and had a smile on his face as he looks at his youngest daughter. Her blanket had been kicked off and she was spread eagled on her cot. He fixes her blanket and leans to kiss her head.

“Oppa…”

“Hmm… sleep some more.” Yonghwa lies down and back hugs his wife. “I’m going to have breakfast with the kids.”

“Good… they miss you so much.” She replies. “Go and have your breakfast. I’ll stay here with the babies.”

Giving her a kiss on her neck he stands up and changes to his usual sweatpants and hoodie. He brought home some documents he had to work on but was intending to do it after lunch.

“Don’t even think of doing work Jung Yonghwa. I’m having you all to myself today.” Joohyun calls out.

“Arasso.” He replies.

“And don’t even think you can work when the babies and I take an afternoon nap.”

“Arasso.” He tried to keep the laughter out of his voice.

“I mean it.”

“Arasso.”

“Is that all you can say Oppa?”

His answer was laughter and a quick kiss on her lips. “I’m going down to the kids.”

Joohyun’s eyes were closed but she had smile on her lips.

Yonghwa and his 3 children have a rowdy and noisy breakfast. Min Sun had to shush them many times and the staff had a fun watching the three teenagers interact with their father.

“Really I don’t know what age you are Jung Yonghwa!” Min Sun scolds her ward. “The longest slurp indeed!”

They were having dak- kalguksu (Korean chicken noodle soup) as per Jae’s request to his Yoo Mooh. As usual it was contest between the children and their father. The house staff had to stifle their giggles as Yonghwa, Sun and Aeyah tried to out-do each other. Jae had given up because he couldn’t control his laughter.

Yong Sun won because Yong Hwa ended up laughing at Aeyah who got cross with both of them.

“Okay time to go.” Jae stands up after wiping his mouth carefully. Every utensil was neatly placed and he smiles as his Yooh Moh pats his hand and tells him that he was a good boy. He towered over everyone now – even his father. At 6 feet 1 he was 19 and almost done with high school. He leans to kiss the top of Min Sun’s head.

“Appa – I’m going.” He smiles at his father and his 2 siblings. “I declare Yong Sun the winner by default because Appa couldn’t stop laughing.”

“Oppa! I take 2nd place – Appa cheated!” Aeyah scowls at her father and brothers. “You’re ganging up on me again because Omma isn’t here.”

“Aniya – you know I always give fair judgment. Appa slurped longer than you.” Jae replies.

“Jung Hyun Ae! What a thing to say to your father!” Min Sun scolds Aeyah. “He would never cheat.”

“You’re biased Yooh Moh!” Aeyah crosses her arms and blinks back tears. “You love Appa best.”

“Ara – Yooh Moh loves me because I’m Yongie.” Yonghwa stands up and ruffles his daughter’s hair. “Alright Appa will lose to you happy now?!”

Aeyah shakes her head.

“Ah – this girl.” Yonghwa leans to embrace his daughter. She was hot tempered, competitive and quick to take offense. Her Yunho Samchon always said that Aeyah had his nature and was the daughter he never had.

Aeyah puts her arms around her father’s waist. “No you win.” Her voice was muffled against her father’s shirt because he was Appa and she loved him best.

“Aigoo – like father like daughter. Everybody go away! Jae you’ll be late! Aeyah – your trainer will deduct points from you again for being late. Jung Yonghwa come and take this mah and congee to Joohyunah. She must be hungry. When the babies wake-up call me so that we can heat up their porridge.” Min glares at all of them.

“Wah – you’re right Oppa – Yoo Moh mus have been a general in a past life.” Aeyah moves away from her Nanny as she said that. Grown up she may be but she sometimes still received a slap on her behind from Min Sun.

“Ka!” Min Sun exclaims. “While I’m being nice.”

Yonghwa and Sun were still chucking as they made their way up the stairs. It amused everyone when Min Sun got angry. They were very sure that she loved all of them to pieces.

“Ah Omma is awake.” Yonghwa looks at the fixed bed and saw the lights under the door of the dressing room. Let’s put the food here for Omma to eat.”

Father and son wait for Joohyun to come out of the dressing room.

“Ah – I thought I heard you both.” Joohyun was all smiles when she steps out of the dressing room. She was dressed in a lounge pajama set.

“Omma eat now.” Yong Sun runs to embrace his mother. Burying his face on her chest and inhaling the sweet floral scent that he grew up with. His mother always smelled warm and comforting.

Luckily Joohyun was finished eating when Jaeyah wakes up. Sitting up she was about to cry when she sees her parents and brother.

“U-ma.” The toddler puts her arms up. “Ah -Pa.”

“Jaeyah! Oppa will take you to Omma and Appa.” Sun brings down the protective railing and puts his sister down on the floor. His hands keep her steady and he walks behind her ready to catch her should she fall.

“Wah – our baby is awake.” Yonghwa holds out his arms as he watches his daughter toddle towards him.

The little one’s face was all smiles. She looked absolutely adorable in the pink bunny onesie that her Noona bought for her. “Jaeyah Appa.”

Yonghwa laughs as he cuddles the soft little body and once again marvels at the beauty of all the children his Joohyun had given him.

Jaeyah resembled her mother the most. Joohyun’s soft delicate features combined with Yonghwa’s eyes.

“Let’s go and eat Jaeyah.” Sun leans to kiss his sister. ”Food.”

“Food.” She repeats and holds her stomach. “Jaeyah food. Hungry.”

Her parents look at her indulgently. Jaeyah was bubbly, talkative and very opinionated. She would be difficult to feed if she didn’t like the smell of the food, she insisted on the clothes that she wanted to wear, she was would sleep only when she wanted to. But she was good at following directions and could fetch things that were pointed to her. She was receptive to new words and would repeat them carefully. Her favorite person was her eldest brother.

“Alright you go ahead, I’ll wait for So-so to wake up.”

Yonghwa opens his tablet and was busy reading the news. After a while he looks up and sees that So-so was awake.

“Oh, my little man – you’re so quiet were you just watching Appa?” Yonghwa picks up his youngest boy.

So-so was the opposite of Jaeyah. He was quiet and preferred just looking at everything. He was easier to feed and put to sleep. However while Jaeyah would repeat words So-so would not. He seldom spoke and preferred actions. When he wanted something he would tug at whoever was holding him and point to what he wanted. Yonghwa and Joohyun were still worried about his progress – he was thinner than Jaeyah and still wobbled when he walked.

“Are you hungry So-so?” Yonghwa asks.

The little on just nods.

“Say deh Appa.” Yonghwa coaxes him.

The little one just looks at his father. “Deh…Ah-Pa.”

Yonghwa kisses his little one. Like Joohyun he was worried for his little boy but his Hyung also spoke late according to his mother – so Yonghwa was certain that So-so would be able to do so as well.

“Wah So-so yah is here already.” Min Sun greets them when they enter the breakfast room. The little boy smiles then shyly hides his face on his father’s neck.

He was placed on his bright blue high chair next to sister’s bright pink one.

“So – hungry?” Jaeyah asks her twin.

So-so nods and points to Jaeyah’s bowl.

Their doctor, Han Gain said that since they were twins – Jaeyah and So-so understood each other. She said that Jaeyah was just more developed physically and more active as she was more outgoing twin. She soothed the parents’ worries by telling them that So-so will catch up with Jaeyah in time.

The little girl clumsily gets her bowl and tries to give it to her brother. Such was their way – while Jaeyah was bigger but she would look after So-so. She always held his hand when they walked or if she wanted to run she would but she would stop and wait for So-so patiently holding out her hand to her brother.

“Here is So-so’s bowl.” Joohyun gives t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter