HIS WIFE - MEET JUNG JAE HWA

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The pain hits Joohyun so viciously that she wakes up groaning. She would have doubled up in pain but she was pregnant.  She glances at the clock – it was 9 pm hopefully Oppa would be home soon.  She reaches for her phone.  There was a text from Oppa – they would be leaving by 11 pm because of the snow fall.

“Great timing” Joohyun gasps as another stab of pain comes. She hits the speed dial and calls Min Sun.

“Agasshi – why are you calling? Oh – no- don’t tell me.” Min Sun exclaims. “I will be right there.” Min Sun was in her room in less than 5 minutes. She pales when she sees that Joohyun had a thin trickle of blood running down one of her legs.

“Help me up Madame.  We need to go to the hospital.” Joohyun grasps Min Sun’s hands.

“But Yong –“Min Sun helps her to stand up. The older woman was shaking.

“Don’t panic Madame or else I’ll panic too. Don’t look at the blood – it’s normal.  My water hasn’t broken yet so we need to go as soon as possible. Let’s call Oppa.” Joohyun’s hands were clammy but she manages to hit the speed dial for Yonghwa.

He answers in one ring and Joohyun had to muster courage to talk to him calmly. “Oppa – you need to go the hospital.  I think I am going into labour soon.” Joohyun had to take the phone out of her ear as Yonghwa was screaming.

“Oppa! Screaming will not help. Please – is Doctor Kwon there in the party? If not then I need you to call him and tell him about what’s happening.” Joohyun felt another shot of pain hit her.

“Ddal! What’s happening? Samonim just called and she said you were going into labour.” Hwejangnim hobbles into the room.

“Mian, Hwejangnim – you seem to be always there when I have an emergency.” Joohyun starts to walk towards the bedroom door. “Please tell Samonim to meet us in the hospital.”

“Joohyun!” Yonghwa’s voice could be heard over the mobile phone Joohyun still clutches in her hand. She lets out a calming breath. “Deh, Oppa. I’m going down the stairs and Min Sun will be calling the guards soon. So please leave the hotel already and meet me in the hospital.”

“I’m going home to get you.” Yonghwa was angry – at his wife’s stubborness, at the situation and most of all he was angry at himself for leaving her that night.

“No, Oppa please.  The hospital is nearer to the hotel than our house.  I will go to the hospital – the guards will drive me. I will be safe. I need you to be in the hospital when I get there Oppa. Please don’t be angry – please just be there for me.” Joohyun had to grab the door handle as another wave of pain hits her.

Hwejangnim grabs the mobile from her hand and starts shouting at his son. “Yah Jung Yonghwa! Nae maleul deuleo! Your wife is in pain and all you can think of is making her wait for you! Take your mother and meet us in the hospital! Jigeum!” He closes the mobile and hands the phone to his daughter in law. “Let’s go Ddal.”

“But Hwejangim – you’re in pain.” Joohyun responds.

“So are you and I’m not going to let you go to the hospital with just Min Sun and the guards. Your Appa would be angry at me!” He holds her elbow and they make their way down the stairs.  Min Sun hands Hwejangim his long coat and she helps Joohyun put on her own coat.  Joohyun’s cases were already in the car.

The guards help Joohyun and Hwejangnim into the SUV.  Min Sun would follow in another car just in case the SUV breaks down.  The snow was falling steadily.

“Drive safe.” Hwejangnim tells the young guard.”What a time not to have Yonguk!”

To his credit the young man did drive safely and slowly but Joohyun felt the pain mounting.  Clutching her father in law’s hand Joohyun haltingly tells the guard to drive a bit faster. “I am driving as fast as we safely can Agassi.  The roads are slippery and I don’t want to endanger you or Hwejangim.” The young guard’s voice trembled.

“Arasso, mianeyo – I am putting pressure on you. Drive on.” Joohyun leans back and prays that the pain subside soon. Her phone rings again and it was an unfamiliar number.

“Yobosayo?” Joohyun whispers.

“Hyun-ah!” It was Doctor Kwon. “How are you feeling?  Tell me in detail.”  Joohyun tells him that the pains came suddenly and that there was blood but her water hadn’t broken yet.

“Good girl. I am so proud of you for not panicking.  I know the pain seems never ending but just hold on.  I am also on my way to the hospital.  BoAh will be coming later with Yunho. I’ll let you go now – the hospital has been alerted and they will be ready for you. Careful, Hyun-ah.  Breathe thru your mouth when the pain comes. I’ll see you soon.” Dr. Kwon ends the conversation.

“When are you really due Ddal?” Hwejangnim asks his daughter in law.

“Sometime before the New Year. The baby is early by one week.” Joohyun tries to breathe thru and it helps her to bear the pain.

“Well babies are really that way.” Hwejangnim pats her hand. “Your husband was born 2 weeks early. Samonim and I were in Busan for a month because of my in-laws birthday celebration. We had just gotten home when Samonim’s pains started – Yonghwa was born 4 hours later. ”

Joohyun smiles despite of another wave of pain.  Her father in law was trying his best to take her mind away from the pain.

“Hwejangnim, there’s an ambulance coming.” The driver tells them.

“That must be my impatient son. I wouldn’t be surprised.” Hwejangnim tells Joohyun.

 The SUV stops and and the ambulance turns and pulls up next to the SUV.  The snow was falling harder. The ambulance doors open and Yonghwa gets out with the paramedics and a stretcher. When she sees her husband, Joohyun starts to cry – suddenly she didn’t want to be brave anymore.

“Joohyun!” He opens the door and taking the seat belt off, gathers his wife in his arms. She wraps her arms around him and cries silently.  She was so scared of the blood and worried about their baby.  Oppa was carrying her so it was alright for her to cry.

“Mian – Joohyun I keep doing this to you.” Yonghwa’s tears fall as he carries her. He feels the wetness of her tears against his neck and knew that she was worried about their baby.

He lays her down on the stretcher and lets the paramedics strap her safely. He comes back for Hwejangnim but his father waves him away. “Take care of your wife. We will follow.  Have that ambulance drive safely or I’ll close that hospital down if something happens to my grandchild.”

Inside the ambulance, Yonghwa sits beside Joohyun and takes her hand. The paramedics run an IV on her and take her vitals.

“You had a bit of blood loss Mrs. Jung.” The female paramedic smiles down at her. “Is it still pain-“

Joohyun squeezes Yonghwa’s hand tighly and her body slightly bows as the pain hits her. Her eyes were tearful.

“Let me feel your stomach.” The paramedic runs her hands over Joohyun’s stomach. “I think your baby is transverse.”

Joohyun closes her eyes and shudders. “Poor Aigyah – he’s probably trying to turn and he can’t.” She holds her stomach and gently massages the sides. “Mian Aigyah – Omma is sorry.  The doctors will help us.”

Yonghwa could only look at his wife and couldn’t imagine loving any one more.  She was racked with pain but was only worried for their child. She was brave enough to get herself to the hospital and only gave into her tears when she saw him.

“Oppa – are you still mad at me?” She looks at him. He shakes his head and takes out his handkerchief and wipes her face. “I’m mad at myself because I left you again.”

“You’re here like I asked you to be.” She smiles at him and holds his hand tighter.

Soon after the ambulance pulls up the driveway of Jung Shinhwa Memorial Hospital and the paramedics bring Joohyun down and she is immediately rushed to the private elevator and taken up to the suite where she stayed in all those months ago. IU was already in the suite with 4 nurses.

“First let’s transfer you to the bed and the nurses will clean you up then you’ll be comfortable in a hospital gown. Sorry if we can’t give you anything for the pain – we need to wait for the Chairman.” IU holds Joohyun’s hand and gently rubs her stomach. “Let me know when the pain comes – I’ll try to rub your stomach so the pain ends quicker.”

The nurses work on Joohyun as fast as they could – hoping that by the time pain came she would be in a hospital gown.

“Up to when will she experience pain?” Yonghwa asks the resident.

“Eventually the baby will get tired and sleep – the pain will go away for a while.  When the baby wakes up and tries to turn she’ll feel pain again.  I’m only waiting for the baby to stop turning and we’ll take her downstairs to check what position the baby is in.  We need to check the baby’s vitals and try to see if he has any cord wrapped around him.” IU replies.  “Chairman is coming soon and BoAh sunbae.”

Joohyun clutches Yonghwa’s hand. “Oppa-“The pain was shooting through her lower back. IU with the help of one of the nurses rub Joohyun’s stomach – the motion seems to calm the baby and the pain subsides quicker. But Joohyun was getting tired and Yonghwa was getting worried.

Just then Chairman comes in followed by BoAh – their evening attire covered by their doctors’ gowns. Taking one look at Joohyun’s pale face he issues his instructions. “Let’s get her downstairs – she’s tired and so the baby will be tired also. Yonghwa you can come with us but only you.  IU, please call the Head Nurse and make sure that Hwejangnim is taken to the next suite and he is to rest until Dr. Choi comes tomorrow.”

When they get downstairs Joohyun is gently lifted to the examination table and she could feel Dr. Kwon’s hands checking her stomach. Probes where placed on the stomach and everyone sighs with relief when the infant’s heart beat was heard.  Joohyun stifles a sob and BoAh leans over and puts her hand on Joohyun's forehead. “Relax Hyun-ah.  Dr. Kwon will do all he can to make the delivery as easy for you as possible.”

“You may have to wait one more day to give birth my dear – your water is still intact. Our little boy has gotten himself in a tight situation – he can’t turn and he’s trying to hence the pain you feel.  Thankfully the cord isn’t wrapped around his neck but rather on his leg. Tomorrow, we’ll wait until we’re sure he can’t turn then I will have to help him by inducing labor and turning him.  Believe me, I don’t want you to experience that. Right now – I think he’s asleep.  Tell me truthfully – can you bear the pain? I will give you something for the pain but I really don’t want an epidural yet.  We will wait for our little boy to turn tomorrow then decide.” Dr. Kwong was gently patting Joohyun’s hand while he was saying this.

“I can bear the pain. I don’t want anything to affect out baby. I just don’t want to bleed too much.” Joohyun whispers.

“Ara, we know how traumatic bleeding episodes are for you.  We will monitor the amount of blood coming out and we will make a decision based on what will happen tomorrow.” Dr. Kwon squeezes Joohyun’s hand and looks up at Yonghwa.  “Let’s take your wife up so she can rest.  I’ll pay my respects to your parents.”

Min Sun was waiting for them when they got to the suite.  BoAh together with IU and the orderlies make sure that Joohyun was comfortable.

“Thank you so much for helping me.” Joohyun’s face was pale and she was very tired.

 “Now IU will be on call for you tonight. I will need to go home and change.”  Just then Yunho comes into the room carrying an overnight bag. “Or maybe not.” BoAh smiles as Yunho kisses her forehead.

“We’ll sleep in the next suite – with your parents. That way you’ll know that your BoAh Unnie is near.” Yunho gives Joohyun’s hand a squeeze. “You’re almost there. Rest now. Max is on duty tomorrow so I know he’ll be coming to see you.” Yunho leans and gives Joohyun’s hand another gentle squeeze.

When they’re were alone Yonghwa removes his coat and necktie.  He lies down next to Joohyun and tenderly puts her head on his shoulder. “Sleep now Sweetheart – you need to rest and gather strength.” Yonghwa kisses Joohyun. “My brave wife.”

“I’m not brave – I just had to hold on until you came for me then I turned into a cry baby.” Joohyun replies and closes her eyes and welcomes the respite from the pain.

It was another 4 hours before the pain started again.  Yonghwa calls in the nurses and they turn Joohyun to her side. Gently massaging her stomach and lower back, the nurses help Joohyun thru the pain.

“Is she going into labour now?”  He asks one of the nurses.

“No – not yet- the baby is trying to turn.” The most senior of the nurses carefully press on Joohyun’s stomach. “He’s turned a bit. I’m afraid she’ll experience pain until the little one goes back to the correct position. Breathe Mrs. Jung.”

“It’s alright – as long as the baby’s fine. “ Joohyun panted her hand tightly grasping her husband’s.

The nurses would time the duration and frequency of the pain for the next 5 hours.  While it was’t frequent it was painful, so much so that Joohyun could not even eat.

“Oppa – while I’m still fine – go outside and eat.” Joohyun says as Yonghwa sits her up on the bed. “The nurse is here with me and pretty soon BoAh Unnie will come.  Ka!”

 “But Joohyun-ah…” Yonghwa’s voice was worried. He tucks her hair behind her ears and fixes her gown.

“Palli ka!” Joohyun looks at him and puts both hands on his face. “I know you’re worried but this is something we’ve read about in my baby books, so if you want to help me – eat and don’t make me worry about you.”

“Should I call Ommonim and Abeonim?” Yonghwa stands up from the bed.

“No – don’t –“Joohyun shakes her head. “They’ll worry needlessly. Besides I’m sure they can’t change flights that easily.”

Yonghwa doesn’t reply and instead drops a quick kiss on his wife’s forehead. “Be back soon.”

When he comes out of the room Min Sun was just putting the food on the table. “Yongie – good you’re awake. Come eat while it’s hot. Samonim will be here soon – she’s eating here while Hwejangnim will eat the hospital food.  He’s not happy about it but he’s more worried about Hyunnie.”

Yonghwa sits down and opens his phone. Dialling a number, he waits patiently for the other party to answer. He had placed a call to New York. It was past 5 pm there and Yonghwa smiles as he greets his uncle. “G.O. Samchon!”

“Oh Yong –what’s happening? Why are you calling?” GO answers back. “Has Joohyun given birth?”

“She’s starting labour a week early.” Yonghwa replies. “Samchon, I need a favor.”

“Anything. Wait let me go into this coffee house so I can hear yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter