HIS WIFE - WHITE DAY DATE

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wow that’s a lot!” Yong Sun eyes the 2 bags that the guards were bringing in.

Jae just sighs – it was not in his nature to scowl like his siblings. “Have some I don’t really want them. But change first – you’re sweaty from soccer practice.”

Valentine’s Day was one of the most dreaded days in Jae’s life.  Ever since he turned 13 he had girls coming up to him and giving him all sorts of things – candies, flowers, stuffed toys and of course chocolate. Lots of them – store brought or home-made.

And he just accepted them of course – he was his Omma’s son. It would be extremely impolite to turn down the gifts not if it meant hurting someone’s feelings.

The first time he got chocolates his father casually mentioned that he also received a lot of that up until he was in middle school. His mother had rolled her eyes then and told him that he shouldn’t compare himself to Jae because their sons were more handsome than he was.  His parents bickered and teased one another until they noticed just how uncomfortable Jae was.

His mother had asked him why he was uncomfortable – Valentine’s Day and White Day were traditions. Women and girls gave chocolates to guys they liked or loved. Men and boys were expected to reciprocate the gifts. His mother had always given his father chocolates and gifts during Valentine’s Day ever since they were going steady. His father always had a gift for his mother on White Day – always more lavish than the one she had given him for Valentine’s Day because that was the rule.

Jae agreed but he told his parents that they at least were sure about each even back then. Jae on the other hand wasn’t sure if the girls who gave those gifts to him liked him for himself or because he was the Jung Heir.

His Omma had embraced him then and told him it was because they liked him for himself. She was very sure of that. Jae just smiled at her. They had recently discussed the resumes that were submitted for him. He understood that this was something that happened to chaebol children especially eldest children like himself. He didn’t agreed with it – he knew that his parents didn’t either but it was something that was traditionally done.

“Oh, tribute!” Aeyah comes bounding down the stairs. “Let me see – I get to pick first. I’m sure I know a lot of these girls.”

“Jung Aeyah!” Jae exclaims.

“What?” Aeyah bats her eyes and looks affronted by her brother’s ire. “You know I have girls come up to me and ask what kind of chocolate you like. I’m always honest – I tell them you like all kinds – that way Sunah and I don’t need to fight over who gets the milk chocolate. Omma gets the dark and Appa gets the white. Simple.”

“You’re hopeless Aeyah!” Jae slumps down on the beautiful white leather sofa in their formal living room.

“Guard Kim – please put them here.” Aeyah motions Jae’s Head Guard to put the plastic bags on the thick carpet. “I can sort them here.”

Jae watches as his sister starts to segregate the chocolates. She looks at the accompanying cards – careful not to open them lest Jae glare at her – taking a pen from her uniform’s pocket she marks down the gift that accompanied each card.

She puts the home chocolates aside. Their Yooh Moh didn’t allow them to taste any home-made chocolates until she or the staff tasted it. Most were edible enough and Jae usually distributed all the chocolates to the staff and guards after his family had taken their pick.

Jae himself didn’t like chocolates – not since he was 13.

“Don’t take a lot. It’s bad for you!” Jae eyes the pile that his sister had taken for herself. “Sunah’s going to cry again.”

“Alright – alright! I’ll distribute evenly.”Aeyah scowls.

When his younger brother comes down the two bicker as usual about how Aeyah divided the chocolates. The youngest one argued that since Aeyah was now a teenager she had to watch her weight and complexion while he on the other hand was still a growing boy.  At the face of such logical reasoning Jae could not help but let out a laugh.  His siblings were funny as always. He looks at his sister and tells her to reduce the amount of milk chocolate that she had.

“That’s favoritism Oppa! I distributed equally!” Aeyah looks at the pile of chocolates.

“How could it be fair? You have more boxes of chocolates than I have! And you put all imported chocolate brands in your pile! I demand a recount!” Sun folds his hands across his chest and glares at his sister.

“Okay settle this or I’ll settle it for you. And you know what happens when I settle things.” Jae lies down on the sofa and looks at the scowling face of his sister and brother.

“Oppa!”

“Hyung!”

“Settle!”

In the end, Jae still had to step in because their Yoo Mooh said she wasn’t feeding anyone snacks because they’ve messed up the formal living room and hadn’t changed out of their uniforms yet.

“Take them up to your rooms already and change!” Jae holds back his laughter as he looks at the frowning faces of his siblings. “Now! While I’m still being nice. I will check the chocolates of Omma and Appa.”

He watches them gather their chocolates and glare at each other. Sighing he looks once again at the pile of chocolates in the coffee table. Jae looks at each box – reading the label and segregating those he chose for his father and mother. As usual there was almost none of the dark chocolates that his mother liked and quite a lot of the white chocolates that his father favored. Examining each box the way his Yongguk Ahjussi taught him too. One can never be too careful about gifts from strangers.

He puts the chosen chocolates beside the pile of letters and cards. Calling out to the staff he tells them to give the chocolates to his Yoo Mooh for distribution to the staff and guards. He cautions the young maid not to let Dong Il Ahjussi get too much because it was bad for him.

He lies down once again on the white leather sofa. A privilege that only he had because he was the eldest. Yoo Mooh always made Aeyah and Sun sit on plush white carpet instead of the leather sofa because they weren’t careful of their clothes or things. Jae always changed clothes as soon as he got back from school and right now he was in his favorite soft gray cotton sweat pants and a white tee.  

He closes his eyes and remembers the conversation he had with his parents last weekend.

“Go on you can read them if you like.” His mother looks at him. They were in the library that Sunday afternoon waiting for his two siblings to wake up from their nap.

As if felt he his eldest child’s gaze, Yonghwa looks up from his laptop and nods his head. “No harm in reading son although I must warn you that it’ll be awkward if you know them and you know that their family gave us a résumé. But if you like them then well…” Yonghwa smiles and winks at Jae. “You feel uhm….happy.”

“Did you feel happy Yeobo?” Joohyun levels a look at her husband.

“Well….” Yonghwa scratches his head. “I can’t lie and say I wasn’t.”

“Did you know who they were Omma?” Jae looks at his unsmiling mother and flustered father.

“I only know of 2 –the rest your Halmoni said I didn’t need to know because it would be awkward meeting with them socially after our marriage.” Joohyun sits beside her son.

“You didn’t try to find out Buin?” Yonghwa asks.

“I didn’t.” Joohyun looks at her husband. “Unlike you I don’t have a jealousy streak mile wide.” She gives him a frown then turns to their son.

“If you don’t want to its fine with us. The choice is yours. I only brought them out because some were updated so I will dispose of the older resumes and file the newer ones. That’s why the paper shredder is next to me.”

Jae nods but he couldn’t resist looking at the names.

His eyes grew wide when he recognized names, twice he gasped and once he choked, standing up from the sofa and muttering to himself. His parents looked at him with amusement.

“Omma didn’t you tell me I got my first résumés when I was 3?” Jae asks.

His mother nods and point at a couple of folders. “Those are the ones.”

“And now they’re….” Jae counts them. “Twenty. Really? Do these girls know?”

“It’s not as if they had a choice.” Joohyun answers him. “But they do know.”

“Omma! Have you given my resume to anyone?” Jae exclaims. “You didn’t right Omma?”

“Well….” Joohyun controlled her urge to laugh at the distressed face of her calmest child.”Uhm….”

“Omma!”

“I have gotten requests to give them a copy.” Joohyun tells him.

“You didn’t Omma!” Jae groans and lies down on the carpet. “Omma tell me you didn’t!”

“Of course I didn’t.” Joohyun reaches down to pull her eldest from the floor. “Lie down on the sofa – you’re a bit too old to lie down on the carpet. My Jae-jae doesn’t throw tantrums.”

Jae grins as he lets his mother pull him.  Hearing his childhood nickname always brought a smile to his lips. His parents sometimes lapsed into calling their children by their baby names. Of course they would get embarrassed especially Sunah but for Jae he found it sweet especially if his mother called him by his baby name.

“Your Jae-jae is almost as tall as I am.” Yonghwa looks at his wife and his eldest son. His children were his carbon copies but they were all careful not to point that out with his only daughter.

“Oh, Jae how come you’re lying down there? Are you sick Aegyah?” 

Jae opens his eyes and sits up. His parents were home. He smiles as he notes his father’s hand on his mother’s waist. Since the start of the year, his parents have steadily grown even closer.

“No, Omma – I was just practicing my privilege as the eldest child to lie down on this pristine white leather sofa.” Jae stands up and pads barefoot to his parents. Like the filial child that he was, he opens the cabinet and puts out his father’s slippers then his mother’s. He holds Joohyun elbow as she slips out of her heels softly whispering for her to be careful. Then he puts their shoes on the side for the maids to take and clean before putting them back upstairs.

“Your doongsaengs?” Yonghwa asks his son as he hands his coat to Joohyun.  Rolling up his sleeves and loosening his tie – he was ready to relax with his family.

“They are in their rooms. Hoarding their chocolates.” Jae replies.

“Uhm – did you get a lot again this year?” Joohyun sits on the sofa and eyes the pile of cards on the coffee table. It was more than last year if she remembered correctly. “You haven’t read any of them?”

“Maybe later.” Jae dismisses the thought.  He would usually cringe and mentally correct tenses and spelling. So far none of these girls have caught his eye.

Yet.

“There’s less dark chocolate.” Yonghwa reaches for a small white chocolate bar and peels it.

“Don’t let Madame catch you.” Joohyun warns her husband. “You’ll ruin your appetite.”

“It’s just a small piece Omma.” Jae tells his mother. “Appa needs a little sugar – he’s tired.”

“Good thing I have you, son – to protect me from Omma’s bullying.” Yonghwa pats his son’s shoulder.

Joohyun scowls at her husband.  She divides the white and dark chocolates even further making her husband frown.

“You don’t need that many white chocolates. They’re the most fattening.” Joohyun smiles sweetly at her husband. “And you’re always welcome to have the dark chocolates.”

The CEO of CNB Holdings puts out his tongue and shakes his head. “Yuck! No fun eating them.”

His wife and son laugh at his facial expression.

“Are you sure you’re the CEO of CNB Holdings?” Joohyun asks him. “The Board might flip if they saw your face!”

“Appa – I think they’d argue less with you if you pulled that face.” Jae laughs.

“Maybe I’ll try it sometime.” Yonghwa laughs as well.

“Omma! Appa! You’re home!” Aeyah bounds down the stairs. Clad in sweat pants and a bright pink tee she looked about 10 with her damp curling hair.

“Yah – try to behave like a girl Jung Aeyah!” Jae tells his sister.

She smirks at him launches herself on her mother – kissing Joohyun on the cheek before sitting on her father’s lap. “How was my Appa’s day?”

“The usual, Princess.” Yonghwa kisses his daughter’s cheek. “You’re getting too big for Appa’s lap.”

“If you eat all the chocolates you took up to your room you won’t fit in Appa’s lap anymore.” Jae teases her.

“She’ll be a fattie.” Sunah bounds down the stairs like his sister. He was freshly showered and was wearing his brother’s old sweatpants and one his father’s white tees.

“Like you.” Aeyah transfers from her father’s lap to the space between their parents.  She knew this would irritate her youngest brother.

Sunah scowls at her before kissing first his father then his mother. He gives his sister a triumphant smile as he puts his head on his mother’s lap.

“And how are our babies’ day?” Joohyun looks at their children. Her eldest draped over the overstuffed chair, her daughter snuggled against her husband’s side and her youngest child’s head on her lap.

“The same.” Said the eldest.

“Boring.” Said the middle child.

“Fun.” Said the youngest.

“Same?” Yonghwa asks.

“Yes Appa – I already read the lessons with my tutor the week before.”

“Boring?” Joohyun asks.

“All the math lessons made me want to close my eyes.” Aeyah mumbles against her father’s sleeve.

“You didn’t!” Jae exclaims.

“Of course I didn’t!” Aeyah answers back. “Saem would always remind me what a model student you were when you were my grade.”

“And you little Buddha – why was school fun? Soccer again?” Yonghwa smiles at his youngest.

“Uhm – we had soccer practice today. I played pretty well according to my teacher.” Sun answers. “Tutor said I did my homework well. You can ask her Omma.”

“I will.” Joohyun replies. Her two younger children weren’t as studious as Jae so she constantly had to check with their tutors. The grandparents especially the 2 grandfathers were very particular about the grades that the children got. Joohyun didn’t want to sit for yet another hour listening to her father lecture her about Aeyah and Sun’s grades. Her eldest Jae was a very tough act to follow.

“I’ll check their homework after dinner.” Jae tells his parents. This remark garnered groans from his siblings. Jae was tougher than their tutors combined even tougher than their Omma.

“Why are you all here in the formal living room?” Min Sun asks. “Time for dinner.”

Dinner was a lively affair with the 2 youngest children listening to a debate between their father, their mother and their eldest brother. The topic was political issues. Then it veered to sports where Sun discussed soccer teams with his father and brother. Aeyah opened the topic of horses and for while the 4 of them discussed their horses with the children trying to convince Yonghwa to buy another horse, a mare to breed with Star. An idea which their thrifty mother vetoed.

“Isn’t Shin Hye Unnie’s mare Beautiful a full Arab like Star? Why not arrange that Oppa?” Joohyun asks her husband. “What will we do with an extra horse?”

“You can ride it Omma.” Her children chorus. “The new mare.”

“Me? No I’m quite fine with Belle – now that your Suzy Imo is in US.” Joohyun replies.

Four pairs of identical eyes look back at her. Her family knew how she only tolerated riding. Last year, Joohyun had given her Ralph Lauren riding outfits to Aeyah and had herself outfitted with a new one from the same shop that Sandra Huo got her riding outfit from. Like Joohyun, Sandra only tolerated riding but like Yonghwa, Jian had a stable of horses and was very fond of riding.

“But Belle is already old Omma – our Vet Dr. Shin said that she can’t have any babies anymore.” Sun replies.

“Belle can only have babies with Bandit – no one else.” Aeyah frowns at her brother.

“They’re not people Aegyah.” Joohyun was quick to reply. She saw the look of sadness in her husband’s eyes.

Yonghwa had been devastated when Bandit died. Her children cried as well – as spirited as the stallion was all her children took their first ride on his back. All her children’s horses were Bandit and Belle’s offspring. Like much loved members of the family – Yonghwa and the children had prospective buyers inspected and vetted before any colt was sold.  Yonghwa even had a contract for the prospective owner to sign stating that the colt would never be mistreated or if the owner could no longer support the upkeep of the horse Yonghwa had the first right to buy the horse back from the owner.

“Alright – both of you go up to your rooms now – homework inspection time.” Jae tells his siblings.   He too saw the sadness in his father’s eyes.

“Oppa!”

“Hyung!”

“Now!”

Jae marches his sibling out from the breakfast nook as his parents fondly watch them.

“Jae is so grown up now.” Yonghwa looks at Joohyun.

“He’s still my baby.” His wife quips. “Let go up Oppa – the drama we’re watching will be on in 30 minutes.”

“But I told you what’s going to happen right? Watching several dramas with you I know the formula already.” Yonghwa follows her out the room.

“Yeobo!” Joohyun frowns at her husband. “I told you I like watching them to relax me. You don’t need to watch if you don’t want to.”

She was climbing the stairs with a small smile on her face. Her husband was behind her. While she did enjoy watching dramas, the main purpose was to make him unwind. Her husband often had very hectic days and she knew he was making an effort not to go to after office drinks with the company presidents because he promised her that they would start spending more time as a family.

She tucks her feet under her and opens the giant TV their room.

“Oh, I thought you didn’t want to watch.” She looks at her husband as he sits down beside her.

Yonghwa just smiles and puts his arm on her shoulder. “I just want to sit down next to you.”

The drama was just ending when Jae comes into their room.

“Omma –“

Joohyun holds up her hand. Yonghwa was sleeping with his head on her lap. “Quiet.”

“Mian – I was just going to ask where you wanted to go on….”

“You decide.” Joohyun smiles up at her eldest.

“You say that every time Omma.”

His mother just smiles at him. “Tuck your sister and brother in their beds for me tonight. Your Appa is very tired.”

“I won’t kiss them Omma.”

Joohyun nods her head while her eyes twinkled with merriment. Her eldest was endearingly charming.

“I’ll just kiss you instead. Goodnight Omma.”

Her eyes close as her eldest child kisses the top of her head. “Good night Aegyah. Don’t stay up too late reading.”

“Deh.”

“I mean it. You know your Appa checks up on all of you after midnight.”

“Deh.”

When the door closes Joohyun leans and whispers softly on Yonghwa’s ear. “Oppa, wake up – let’s shower so you can sleep comfortably.”

White Day, March 14

“Shin Ahjussi – was everything delivered?” Jae asks his head guard.

“Of course Doryeongnim.” The burly man smiles. “They were all happy.”

Every year since he turned 12 Jae gave bouquets of field flowers to the important women in his life. The first time he told this to the florist that his father patronized the owner had questioned him on his choice of flowers. He listed dahlias, sunflowers, snap dragons, lavender, lilies and blue thistle globes.

“Your father is sending your mother a wonderful bouquet of pink tulips for White Day. He gave her a bouquet of red chrysanthemums for Valentine’s Day. Our store is full of beautiful flowers – why field flowers? You do know we will have to import some of them Doryeongnim?”

Jae said he understood and called his head guard to bring the money. For the next 30 minutes, the store owner and the 12 year old discuss prices for the flowers. In the end, she accepted the order and as she glances at the list of women that he told her to send it to the lady smiles to herself and murmurs how lucky these women were.

For the last five years – his 2 grandmothers, his Yoo Mooh, Miss Jung, his Suzy Imo, his Ga Young Imo, his BoAh Imo and his godmother Yoona received these wild flower bouquets.  Recently he added his Krystal Imo.

Unlike the usual bouquets – the field flowers bouquet was dainty and came wrapped in plain brown paper, a piece of twine and a plain note with Jae’s name. But their simplicity never failed to make the recipients smile and think of a certain very thoughtful young man.

“Doryeongnim – your Omma is already home since lunchtime.” Jae’s head guard informs him.

“Good then we can leave early.” Jae smiles. “Are the flowers delivered already?”

“Head Guard Bang texted me that Samonim received the flowers herself just before she left for work.”

Jae smiles and leans back to close his eyes imaging his mother’s smile when receives the magnolia flowers. He had a running order with the florist – Valentine’s Day, White day, Mother’s day, her birthday and Christmas.   He already arranged specific flowers for those days. His father had jokingly asked him if Jae was competing with him – Jae had laughed then and said that his father was being jealous. They had a good laugh then – his father and himself. Jae told Yonghwa that he’d learned from the best.

When his parents had troubles in the past 2 years – Jae knew that the flowers gave his Omma great comfort.

“And my Appa’s flowers?”

“Ah – I heard Hwejangnim had the arraignment sent up to their room in the early hours of the morning.” Guard Shin scratches his head.

“Ah cham – I can’t beat that man.” Jae laughs.

When he reaches home Jae runs up the stairs and heads straight for his parents’ room. “Omma I’m home.”

“Oh, Aegyah.” Joohyun was lying down.

“Are you sick?” Jae sits on the bed and holds his mother’s hand.

“No, just tired.” Joohyun assures her eldest. “You know Appa and I have had 3 business dinners in a row. Your godmother said I should stop yawning while I was meeting with her. Omma is getting old.”

“Never. You’ll never get old. In my eyes.” He tells her.

“I have to remind you of that when you have a girlfriend already.” Joohyun squeezes his hand. “Now how should I dress?”

Mother and son met each other in the landing. Both were wearing jeans, tees and rubber shoes.

Joohyun smiles radiantly at her eldest child. They’ve had White Day dates since he turned 14. Yonghwa had graciously allowed his eldest to take his mother out on a date that day. The other 2 children pouted and complained but Yonghwa had pointed out that of the 3 of them Jae was the one who asked the least favors from Joohyun and himself. Jae had always earned all his privileges.

“Wear this Omma – the sun might hurt your eyes.” Jae puts a baseball cap on his mother’s head – taking care of fix her pony tail.

They were leaving just as Aeyah’s SUV was pulling up the drive.

“Ah – ah wait.” Joohyun tells Jae’s driver. “I want to talk to Aeyah.”

“Deh Omma?” Aeyah asks.

“Why are you early? No tutor?” Joohyun asks.

“No tutor and Sunah’s going to be here soon.” Aeyah tells her. “We are keeping Appa company because you’re on a date with Jae Oppa.”

“Does Appa know or it’s a surprise? You know he always sees Halmoni during White day.” Joohyun looks at her daughter.

“Halmoni knows that Appa will be having dinner here with us. We’re watching a movie in your room after dinner.”

“Homework?”

“None.”

“Jung Aeyah!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter