HIS WIFE - THE CONSULTATION

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thank you for coming.” Dr. Ha Ji Won said as she sat down the arm chair.  Joohyun’s parents sat on the sofa. They had practically begged to see her just one day after her talk with Joohyun – it wasn’t her usual consultation time but she had agreed to see them.

Dr. Ha Ji Won looks at them.  Despite of being divided in their opinion with regard to their child’s pregnancy they still had a solid marriage judging from their body language. Atty. Seo held his wife’s elbow when they first greeted her and he also made sure she was comfortably seated before he sat down himself.

“Thank you for making time for us Doctor.” Mrs. Seo replies.

“Now – I’m sure you both want to know what Joohyun and I talked about.” Dr.Ha began. “You’re daughter is a brave young woman – she didn’t even hesitate opening up to me the first time. I believe when she spoke her mind was clear. She wanted to address her condition and was very open to what courses of action I would suggest. So I fully believe that my work with her will only be short and she will continue her pregnancy in a healthy and sound frame of mind.”

“Doctor, can you explain the excessive vomiting and the episode where she refused to let her father take her from Yonghwa.” Mrs. Seo’s tone verged to tears.

“What I’m about to tell are things Joohyun herself would like to say except she is concerned that her condition may deteriorate and harm her baby.  She is very protective of her baby and of Yonghwa. You must know by now that she loves her young man very much and I believe that he loves her just as much.”

“Please Dr. Ha – we will listen to you without interruption.” Atty. Seo leans back and calmly holds his wife’s hand.

“Joohyun has always sought your approval Atty. Seo.  It was of utmost importance that she excel in everything she sets out to do especially if it would please you.  She studied piano because you told her a long time ago – I believe she was 5- that you had wanted to study piano but couldn’t because you were poor.  As painful as it made her feel – Joohyun admitted to me that she felt that you were disappointed that she was a girl. It takes a lot of courage to admit that to me – a stranger. So all the excellence in studies, the honors and the brilliance in piano were all done in order to make up for the fact that she was a daughter instead of a son. I believe this is all for you Atty Seo. I’m sorry it must be painful for you to hear this but that is what Joohyun has felt since childhood. She loves you but she fears you also. ”

Atty Seo grips his wife’s hand and both women see tears fall from his eyes. He remained quiet.

“In fairness – this was something that Joohyun undertook for herself.  She knew it was not required of her but she did it anyway. Your approval was something she always strived for. Not just for you but for herself for Joohyun was hardest on herself the most.”

Mrs. Seo takes out her handkerchief and wipes her husband’s tears before wiping her own.

“When Joohyun met Yonghwa – if I may borrow her words – she felt like lighting hit her.  He was a new experience for her.  Totally sheltered and innocent, your daughter opened her heart for the first time in her life to this young man. And also for the first time in her young life, Joohyun felt she deserved this man’s love and she believed that her years of being a dutiful daughter would be rewarded.  That you would approve of her young man. Isn’t that what she constantly asked from you?”

Her parents nod.

“It hurt her greatly that you did not want to recognize their relationship and wanted another man for her.  Joohyun had always been obedient and going against your wishes was really going against herself.  Her psychological pain and struggle started then. Choosing between 2 young men would have been hard for any young woman but Joohyun had to choose between the father who she loves and honors so much and a young man who she firmly believes is her future.  She did not want to lie or deceive, she didn’t want to hide anything but circumstance proved otherwise for her. You did notice an increase in her migraines correct?”

Both her parents nod again.

“This is the physical manifestation of her psychological problem.  She could only find relief when she was with her friends and with Yonghwa – when the pressure wasn’t severe. It’s a testament to her persistent nature that she did not give up in her relationship with Yonghwa except of course when she learned he was chaebol. But true to her nature Joohyun only saw his status as something she would have to live with.  Your daughter is a very focused young lady – she fought her demons constantly.  We can only imagine how much of a haven her relationship with Yonghwa and her friends were for her.”

“Now we will come to her terror – when Joohyun found out she was pregnant her foremost thought was for the safety of her child.  She knew the grave disapproval she would face with you Atty Seo and again circumstances where unfortunate – her mother and Yonghwa weren’t there for her. Her demons were unleashed because this was a time when she was at her weakest.  Her flight to Guwanju was according to her the most horrendous experience she ever had but that it self could not compare to her greatest demons.  Those are the feelings she still has in the back of her mind – abandonment and separation.”

“The excessive vomiting and sleeplessness are the physical manifestations of the abandonement and separation issues.  The daylight hours were Joohyun’s clearest hours – she could understand your predicament and find reason as to why you had to leave but she grew afraid of the night because it represented her darkest thoughts – her feeling of failure not just to you her parents but to Yonghwa as well.”

“Joohyun loves her baby fiercely – her physical condition is something she wants to get over – for her child. And she knows that to get over the excessive vomiting and physical weakness she must overcome her feelings of abandonement and failure.  I told her I would help her.  She wants to get better.”

“What can we do to help her?” Atty Seo asks the doctor.  His face was ravaged with tears and his heart hurt so much. “I hurt her so much.”

“Atty Seo – I have always believed that no parent wants to hurt their children.  I believe you did what you had to do because you truly believed that you can protect her.  It is not my place to lay the fault with anyone.  Nor could I tell you what could have happened if you accepted their relationship from the start because would have beens and might have beens are things we should not dwell upon.  In fairness to your daughter she understands you and still loves you but her condition heightened by her pregnancy makes it doubly hard for her to fight her demons.”

“All she wants right now is to be with Yonghwa. She is at her safest with him.  Believe it or not she did not even mention marriage to me.  She fully believes that it will come to them in time.  Joohyun is determined to get well because this the only way she can take care of what she deems as the most precious gift she could ever receive – hers and Yonghwa’s child. Just as you have cherished her as your child – Joohyun can do no less for her own baby – because that it what she learned from you both.”

Dr. Ha Ji Won blinked back the tears in her own eyes.  She had so very few patients who were as sincere as Joohyun.  It was a trying period for the brave young woman but Dr. Ha was determined to get Joohyun through it – with or without her parents help.

“Dr. Kwon has been briefed about my findings.  We both agreed – and also consultation with our visiting Dr. Kang – that for the moment we will let Joohyun get healthy. Whatever anxieties she has to face will be dealt with slowly.  Dr. Kwon will also talk to the Chairman and his wife. If and when Joohyun decides to discuss marriage will be up to her and Yonghwa.  The baby is in a very delicate state – one more distressing episode may induce a miscarriage and that would seriously hurt Joohyun not only physically but mentally as well.”

“I truly believe that in time Joohyun will heal herself of her emotional issues. She only needs a little guidance from me.  Right now – just be around her Atty Seo – believe or not Joohyun also finds comfort that you are there.  Dr. Kwon wants her hospital stay to be as restful as possible.  As her doctor I want everyone around her to treat her as normal as possible.  She will gain strength from positive energy.”

“Thank you Dr. Ha for telling us all of this.  We will try our best to put Joohyun at ease.  There will be no pressure.” Mrs. Seo assures her.

“I have another session with Joohyun in 5 days – I hope to see marked improvement from her.  I will of course file a detailed report in Joohyun’s medical records. Dr. Kwon is her official doctor. Do you have any questions or concerns?”

“I don’t know where to begin – I must seem like a monster to my child.” Atty Seo said.

“Atty Seo – at this time I believe not even your own wife can dissuade you from thinking those thoughts but as your daughter’s doctor I must warn you that this frame of mind will not get you anywhere in repairing your relationship with her.” Dr. Ha responded.

“Yeobo – you heard the doctor – Joohyun doesn’t find it offensive that you are there.  If she talks to you then talk to her if not then just be there for her.”  His wife consoles him.

“Atty Seo at the risk of sounding like I’m scolding you – please try not to be too disapproving of Yonghwa or at least don’t show it to Joohyun. The poor boy is almost as distressed as she is.  He is also terrified of losing the baby coupled with the fact that he feels so guilty about not being able to protect Joohyun when she needed him the most. His parents are just as worried about him as you both are worried for Joohyun.  He is, like your daughter, their only child.”

“I am trying my best.” Atty Seo sighs. “Or rather I will do my best.”

“Yeobo – he’s a good boy. I swear – Joohyun would not have loved him if he wasn’t.  Let’s just let them be for now –huh?” His wife pleads with him.

“Arasso – it will be as Joohyun wants.” He nods his head.

With that their session comes to an end and Joohyun’s parents head back to their daughter’s room.

“Ah, wife – you must be so sad to have a person like me for a husband.  I have so many demons in my past.” Atty Seo sighs.

“You’re wrong there – I’m not sad – without you I wouldn’t have Hyunnie.  And although you do have demons I fully believe that for our daughter’s sake you will get over them.” His wife quietly takes his hand.

They enter the suite and were met with quiet.  There wasn’t anyone in the living room.  Dr. Kang and Min Sun weren’t there and they found Yonghwa and Joohyun asleep.

Mrs. Seo looks at her husband half expecting him to be upset seeing his daughter and her boyfriend asleep on the same bed. She sighs with relief when he just looks at them and heads out to the living room.

“I wonder where Dr. Kang is.  I am supposed to take her home after lunch.” Atty Seo sits on the sofa and turns on the TV.

“Don’t be too loud – the children are sleeping.” Mrs. Seo tells him as she busies herself making tea for both of them.

“Arrasso” he turns down the volume.

“Annyeong hasayo!” Min Sun greets them as she enters the room followed by Dr. Kang and Gikwang.

“Ah –annyeong hasayo Atty Seo – I’ve come to take my Ghomo home – her family is anxious to have her back.” Gikwang bows to Joohyun’s parents.

“Ah Yeobo – this is Gikwang – he was the young man who kept an eye out for Joohyun when she was in the peach farm.” Atty Seo introduces the newcomer.

“Thank you for taking care of Hyunnie” Mrs. Seo said as she gestures for all of them to take a seat.

“My family was honored to take care of Atty Seo’s daughter madam” Gikwang stammers clearly shy.

“Have lunch first before heading for home.  I made a lot food.” Min Sun opens the refrigerator and starts taking out the covered dishes.

“And please wait for Hyunnie to wake up – she would want to say goodbye to Dr. Kang and to see you of course.” Mrs. Seo adds as she starts preparing the dining table.

They were in the middle of lunch when Yonghwa steps out of the room. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter