His Wife - THE EXILE

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Joohyun opened her eyes she was in the university clinic.  Hyoyeon was holding her hand while the nurse was telling her that Joohyun may have fainted because she was anemic.

“Unnie….” Joohyun made to get up.

“Ommo – you’re awake.  I was so worried Joohyun!” Hyoyeon tearfully embraced her.  “Tiffany is coming to pick you up.  Are you alright? How do you feel?”

“A bit dizzy unnie” Joohyun whispered. “But I want to go home now.”

“Okay- let’s sit outside and wait for Fany.” Hyoyeon helps her up and puts on her shoes.

When Joohyun got home she spent the night in her own bed telling her mother that she had a migraine.  There was something at the back of her mind but she refused to even acknowledge it.

When Yonghwa called her up that night she told him she had a migraine.  He wanted her to sleep but she told him that she wanted to know about his day.  She closes her eyes and felt so soothed by his voice – she hugs her pillow tightly wishing it was him.

“Sweetheart – you’re tired. Did you even understand what I was saying?” Yonghwa asks.

“Oppa – can you just sing something for me?” Joohyun sighs.” Anything – I want to fall asleep listening to you.”

“Are you really alright? You sound so tired.  If you still feel this way tomorrow go to the doctor alright?” Yonghwa was worried.

“I will” she answers.

“Promise.” Yonghwa persisted.

“I promise.” Joohyun yawns. “Now sing for me.”

She was asleep even before Yonghwa reaches the 2nd half of “Sleep Well My Child” a lullaby that his own mother used to sing to him and his brother.

The next day she woke up even feeling even worst. But she had to go to school because a guest professor from the UK was lecturing and she didn’t want to miss it.   She sat down on her vanity and wore more makeup than usual. Putting on blusher and a bit more of tinted lip gloss to hide the pallor of her skin.

Oppa had his usual good morning text and asked if she was feeling better.  So she texted him that she was feeling better and that she was hurrying to school.

Today her mother was leaving for Japan.  She would be away for 2 weeks and Joohyun dreaded the time she would need to spend with her father. Not that they were not speaking – they were but not about the subject of his meeting with Yonghwa.  That her father refused to even say his name was enough for them to go into another argument once again refereed by her mother.

Her mother warned her not to go into any arguments with her father while she was away.  Joohyun promised to do her best.

Joohyun ate her usual banana and yogurt while on the way to school.  Her father was driving her to school then taking her mother to the airport.  The ride was routine until her father said that he would like her to stay at home that coming weekend. She was about to argue when she caught a glimpse of her mother’s profile.

“Yes Appa.”She obediently answered and her head was mentally thinking of how she would be able to meet Yonghwa that weekend.

She felt the dizziness again when she got out of the car. But she steeled herself and headed towards her building, No she didn’t want to be sick, she scolded herself. The day passed well enough she didn’t feel dizzy again.

It was mid-week when Yonghwa suddenly called her – right in the middle of her class.  He had never done that before. Joohyun apologizes to her professor and heads out the door.

She couldn’t’ forget how his voice sounded that day. He was crying so hard and was almost incoherent.

Her heart races and she tries to calm him.  “Oppa please breathe. I can’t understand you.”

He gathers himself and tells her that he and his mother were on their way to the airport.  His uncle in Seattle has suffered a massive heart attack while driving.  It was a 5 car pile-up and his aunt was in the ICU.

“How is your mother?” Joohyun asks. “I feel so bad for her.”

“Omma fainted when they told her this morning. My father wasn’t home so Min Sun called me. I – I have to go Joohyun – I still can’t believe that my Samchon’s dead.” He starts crying again and Joohyun cries with him.

 Yonghwa’s uncle was his mother’s brother. He chose to live in the US with his wife in order to avoid family pressure. He and his wife were childless and he would never divorce his wife on those grounds. So his eldest sister, Yonghwa’s mother, used her power and influence to send them to the US.  She was Samonim enough to make her own family shut up and leave her baby brother alone.

“Of course you have to go Oppa.  Take care of your mother. Don’t worry about me.” Joohyun reassures him.

“I’ve given Min Sun your number and I’ll send you her number as well.  If you need anything just call her. Promise me you will.” Yonghwa said.

“I will Oppa. Now go and take care of your family.” Joohyun wipes her face.  She was heart-broken for him and would miss him. 

“Take care of yourself. I love you.” Joohyun makes her voice firmer. “Now go.”

“I love you Joohyun – I’ll email and text you when I can.” Yonghwa promised.

Joohyun stared at the mobile phone for a long time. She wanted to tell him what she had been feeling but she dismisses it.  He had enough problems of his own.

She didn’t go back to the lecture hall but instead heads for the park bench where she usually met her unnies.  There was only Sunny and herself today for early lunch.  Her other unnies still had classes until 1 pm. She and Sunny eat kimbap for lunch.  While she really didn’t feel like eating Joohyun forced the food down because she didn’t want to get dizzy again. Sunny had just left her when she felt her stomach churn.  She ran to the bathroom and vomited her lunch.  Looking at her pale face in the mirror Joohyun finally admits that she was coming down with the flu.

She didn’t go to school the next day.  She felt awful.  Her father felt her forehead and said that she didn’t have a fever.  He left for work but instructed Ahjumma to look after her. 

Joohyun spent the entire day in bed watching TV – her unnies called her and she told them that she had the flu.  Oppa’s doonsaengs’ called to check on her.  She cried when Yoona told her how Yonghwa collapsed and cried in Jonghyun’s arms when he was told the news about his Uncle.  She was grateful that Yonguk was there to take him back to Seoul.

Joohyun was fine if she didn’t move.  She didn’t throw up the sweet pumpkin porridge that Ahjumma made for her.  It was a childhood favorite and the one that she always wanted when she was sick.

Dinner was a quiet affair.  Her father didn’t talk much so Joohyun also remained quiet. Back in her room Joohyun felt tearful-her father was the first person who Joohyun always strived to please. His approval and those little pats on the head where precious to her.  Joohyun could never get rid of the feeling that her father was disappointed that she was a girl – her mother told her that she was being silly. 

It was Friday and she was preparing to go to school – Joohyun was just closing her bedroom door when the dizziness hit her again. Her father caught her before she hit the floor.

Calling out to Ahjumma her father carried her in her arms and shouted that he was bringing Joohyun to the hospital.

 An hour later, Joohyun wakes up to her father’s angry face.

His eyes blaze down at her as he asks her in a very cold voice.” When were you going to tell us?”

“Tell you what Appa?” Joohyun asks but her mind was in chaos. 

“That you’re pregnant you foolish girl!” He barely kept his voice down. He was trembling from anger.

“Appa!”  Joohyun tries to get out of the bed but the room was spinning.

Hauling her up and shaking her. ”Why? Why would you do this?” her father exclaims. ”I’ll kill that bastard!”

“Appa – please you’re hurting me.” Joohyun tries to free herself from his grasp. “He doesn’t know –Appa! He doesn’t know!”

“Get up! Get dressed! We’re leaving!” Her father drags her out of the bed and helps her dress.

When they leave the room the curtain at end opens and a girl’s face peeps out.

Oh Min Hee had woken up to someone’s angry voice.  She had tripped and hurt her ankle the night before and she was taken to the hospital by her very irate mother.  She was so surprised to see the girl two beds down from her.  The girl was as pale as a sheet and she was trying to calm her angry father.  She looked very familiar.  Then Min Hee remembered.  She was the girl that was rumored to be Lee Min Ho’s girlfriend.  Min Hee was with her class mates when they saw 2 girls confront the rumored girlfriend at the university parking lot.  She was also one of the on lookers when Min Ho went to their school waiting for his rumored girlfriend to come out.

Pregnant? That was a scoop! Min Hee thought to herself as she quickly dialled her best friend’s number.  She was so excited that Han Nah had to tell her to calm down.

“Wait! We can earn some money out of this!” Han Nah exclaims.

“Really?” Min Hee was just as excited.  She had a fleeting sense of remorse for the girl who was just dragged away by her father but Min Hee was more interested in the money.

By the time Joohyun and her father reached their home – these 2 girls were already on their way to meet someone they could sell their scoop to – a start-up newspaper with a reputation for printing explosive rumors. 

Joohyun’s father drove s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter