HIS WIFE - LOVE'S LABOUR

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was snowing lightly when Yonghwa and Joohyun arrive in the big house. Ahjussi drove slower than usual so it took them awhile to get home.  Joohyun had been feeling uncomfortable lately but she didn’t want to let up in attending all the social obligations that were required of Yonghwa. 

The holiday season was hectic for the newlyweds because Yonghwa, as CNB Holdings heir, had a lot of functions to attend with his parents. Samonim was adamant to the point of stubborness in making Joohyun come with them. Joohyun didn’t complain and seemed to understand his mother’s point of view even when Yonghwa couldn’t.

“Ah – you’re home.” Samonim came down the stairs and lightly embrace the couple.

“Samonim, how is he?” Yonghwa kisses his mother’s temple.

“Cranky as usual. You know how your Appa is.” Samonim sighs. “Joohyun mian – you have to attend all these tiresome gatherings and you’re so pregnant.”

“I’m in training Samonim.” Joohyun smiles at her mother in law. Her back was aching but she didn’t want her mother in law to worry.  Her father in law had a bad case of gout and the doctors were threathening to be lock him up in the penthouse suite in Shinhwa Hospital if he didn’t rest and stick to his diet. Samonim stayed with him as much as she could.

“This is Joohyun’s last function Samonim.” Yonghwa tells his mother. “She’s due in a week’s time and I want her to rest.” He rubs his wife’s back.”Sweetheart, do you want to sit down first or go upstairs?”

“Upstairs, Oppa but you can keep Samonim company, I’ll be fine.” Joohyun smiles at Yonghwa.  He looked very handsome in his maroon dinner jacket and black slacks.  Tonight the dinner was in honor of the top businessmen in Korea and they had gone to represent Hwejangim.  It was important that Yonghwa meet these people and Joohyun knew that she also had to go because Samonim told her that it was important that she be as visible as she can be as Yonghwa’s wife. 

Yonghwa didn’t leave her side if he could help it and Joohyun was comfortable enough with many of the ladies that she had gotten to know thru Samonim’s charitable functions. Also, Joohyun was very much aware of how people still speculated about her and Shin Hye.  They had greeted each other cordially – Shin Hye looked spectacular in a figure hugging Alexander McQueen gown while Joohyun was dressed in Chanel – the rose tinted empire cut gown and her upsweep hairdo making the French Ambassador’s wife comment that she looked like Empress Josephine.

“No, both of you rest. I was just down here for my book.” Samonim gently pats her son’s arm. “Rest Ddal. Let’s talk tomorrow.” She smiles at Joohyun.

“I’ll get the book Samonim – go up with Joohyun.” Yonghwa give his mother’s hand a squeeze and heads for the library.

Joohyun and her mother in law go up the stairs arm in arm. “Gwenchana? You must be so tired Ddal.”

“I’m fine Samonim – I just need to rest.” Joohyun replies. “There’s one more tomorrow.”

“No – your husband will definitely be angry at me already.  Besides, Hwejangnim’s much better.  I can go tomorrow with Yonghwa.  You stay here with Hwejangnim – he behaves so much better with you.” They laugh as they go up the stairs. Kissing her mother in law goodnight, Joohyun lets herself into her room and slowly sinks down on the vanity stool.  She was taking off her make up when Yonghwa enters their room.

“I’ll prepare the bath Sweetheart.” He kisses the top pf her head and proceeds to remove all his clothes – dropping them on the floor on his way to the bathroom.

“Oppa!” Joohyun calls out. “Pick up! I can’t anymore!”

“Mian – mian!” he comes running back totally and picks up his clothes and puts them on the nearest chair. She could only laugh at his silliness.

As she wipes her makeup off Joohyun could only think back on her latest encounter with Shin Hye.  She really could not think why Shin Hye continued to be that way with her and Yonghwa.  The girl certainly did not lack for admirers and was always dressed beautifully.  She was always cordial and polite but Joohyun couldn’t shake off the feeling that Shin Hye didn’t wish her well. 

The baby moved in her stomach and Joohyun had to hold her breath.  Aigyah was awake and Joohyun would have to bear with his little kicks and movements. But Yonghwa loved touching her stomach when their baby was awake – contantly marvelling at the movements and laughing when a tiny bump would show. Every night since she started to show he would put earphones on her stomach and make their child listen to classical music.

“Joohyun-ah the tub is ready.” Yonghwa calls out.

She stands up and again feels the nagging ache on her waist.  They just saw Dr. Kwon 2 days ago and he had assured them that Aigyah was fine and the constant movements were just because she was nearing her time. Dr. Kwon even laughingly commented that he was almost always in all the parties they attended so she need not worry.

“Joohyun-ah. I’m sorry Sweetheart – here let me help you out of your gown.” Her husband had a towel around his waist and he was softly humming to himself as he helps her out of her gown. “There – all done.” He looks at her tenderly and runs his hands on her back gently kneading her waist. “Still aching?”

She nods and lays her head on his shoulder. “I need my kimono Oppa – I feel so helpless when I can’t even bend.”

“You look great. A baby whale.” He smiles mischievously at her. “Your words not mine.” He expected flaring nostrils and a scowling face but instead got a tearful face. Yonghwa panics. “Buin, what’s wrong? Is it really painful? Let’s go to the hospital now.”

“No, Oppa. I’m just tired – I’ll be fine after our bath.” Joohyun sniffs and wipes away the tears. “Pregnant women are prone to mood swings – haven’t you learned that yet?” She gives him a watery smile as he puts her kimono on her and leads her to the bathroom.

“But you must…” He looks at her with a worried frown.

“Ara – I will tell you. Nag, nag, nag - you’re worst than my parents.” Joohyun scowls at him. “ Omma called and said they’ll be back in Korea right after Christmas. Appa insisted.”

“Well, you did convince them to go their university’s alumni holiday party. Your Appa put up a valiant fight but he lost to you anyway.  Every one loses to you – I think your pregnancy is your best argument point.”

It's not everyday that his alumni association recognizes Appa's achievements and besides they'll be home soon to nag me just like you do."

He takes her kimono off and helps her step into the bathtub. “Careful.” He tells her. 

"Ara." She scowls at him. "Bossy." 

Joohyun was not allowed to use the bathtub by herself – this was a rule that Yonghwa demanded strict obedience from her and Min Sun. When Joohyun on her 6th month she lost her footing while stepping out of the tub and though she was able to catch herself in time – she was still confined in the hospital for a day under observation. After that incident, Min Sun was always there if Yonghwa was not around to assist Joohyun.

Yonghwa holds her against him and they carefully lower themselves into the warm water. He could feel his wife’s body relax as the waters close around them. “There, feels great doesn’t it Buin?” He massages her shoulders and works his way down to her waist line.

“Oppa – put your hand on my stomach – palli!” Joohyun grabs his hand and places it on her stomach. “So do you think it’s an elbow or a knee?”

“Elbow.” He rubs her stomach.” Why are you awake Aigyah? Did Omma not eat enough?”

“You’re making fun of my size again.” She lightly pinches his leg.

Joohyun’s appetite returned with a vengeance in her 2nd trimester.  Except for spicy and greasy food – she pretty much ate a lot.  Still she didn’t show much and was well into her 7th month before she had to use Yonghwa’s shirts over the maternity pants that Madame Moon had bought for her. Their parents however kept on commenting on wearing maternity clothes so she gave in and on her 8th month she started wearing maternity dresses.  Now in her 9th month Joohyun’s weight was normal – her legs, shoulders and face were slightly rounder and though she kept saying she was huge – her stomach was the only part of her body that was big.

“You shouldn’t have worn those heels.” He murmurs in her ear.

“It would have ruined the dress.” She replies with her eyes closed.  Yonghwa was very good in massaging her body so she felt the tension go away.

“It’s just a dress.” He completely dismisses the fact that said dress cost $30,000 and that he picked it for her.

“Oppa – that dress is timeless.  I can wear in it many more functions – especially when I’m still this fat.”

“You’re not fat.  You’re pregnant. Besides, you look amazing – your skin and your hair glow and I’m not the only one that says that.”

“You mean - my unnies, our parents and Min Sun.” Joohyun giggles.

“Not only them – everyone in the party said you looked absolutely beautiful and carry your pregnancy well. Pregnant chic that’s what one of the diplomats’ wives told me.”

Joohyun’s bell like laughter fills the bathroom and Yonghwa was relieved.  He knew she was getting more uncomfortable as the days grew nearer to her delivery date. They had gotten into frequent arguments because she didn’t pace herself and still went about her usual activities like she wasn’t pregnant. 

In Suwon, she took her walks even if it was raining heavily which made the guards crazy.  She only stopped when Ahjussi complained to Yonghwa who threathened to take her back to Seoul and have Min Sun keep her under lock and key.  Joohyun was only allowed to go to stores and shops if Yonghwa or his doongsaengs were with her because she refused to have the guards carry her bags or her around. Though she complained and made a fuss about Yonghwa’s protectiveness, Joohyun knew it was because he loves her and Aigyah.

“My fingers are wrinkly already Oppa.” She turns her head and smiles at him.

Yonghwa stands up and wraps himself in a towel before helping Joohyun stand.  It was a tricky process and Yonghwa, who preferred showers, had learned to stop complaining about how hard it was for his very pregnant wife to use the bath tub.  He just made sure he was always there to help her.

“Just a little bit more Oppa – and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter