SAMONIM - THE EARLY YEARS

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Shin Hye wasn’t sure why Joohyun invited her to meet at the lobby of the Westin Chosun.  The text message came just 30 minutes ago as she was just finishing her class.

Why isn’t she here yet? I need to go to the salon for the affair tonight.

She wasn’t even sure why she agreed. Joohyun was number one on her list of least liked people. It was irritating that Joohyun was always so polite and charming that Shin Hye couldn’t be outright rude without making Yonghwa Oppa or Samonim angry at her. She also hated the fact that Suzy and her network of friends always looked out for Joohyun.

This upstart girl who managed to get herself pregnant and force the heir of CNBlue Holdings into marriage. Shine Hye watched as this Cinderalla transformed herself into a princess. She really didn’t get it – Joohyun loooked like any other girl while she was in Suwon – tshirts, denims, rubber shoes even when she was pregnant – then Shin Hye would see her transformed into a beautiful princess in haute couture gowns and millions of dollars worth of jewelry. She’d even screamed at one make up artist who told her that Joohyun was a natural beauty – nothing had been altered. And right beside her was the person that Shin Hye had feelings for since she was a little girl – Jung Yonghwa. Joohyun’s husband who held her hand in every social affair, a husband who acted like a boyfriend – taking her out on dates, buying her flowers and gifts, whose public displays of affection towards Joohyun were the stuff that many women in their social circle swooned over. 

Shin Hye felt a bitter taste in that had nothing to do with the coffee she was drinking.  A lot of friends told her to move on.  Her best friend, Dara had practically yelled at her over the phone - Yonghwa wasn’t an eligible bachelor anymore and the Jung family would never sanction a divorce.

Still Shin Hye could not let go.  She also could not stop herself from attending all the affairs that the Jung family invited her and her father to go to.  Her Appa would deem it strange if she didn’t go. When their son Jae Hwa’s 100th day was celebrated she was there and when the child turned a year old she also there.  Her heart squeezing in pain as she watched Yonghwa and Joohyun hold their baby up to see the 20 minute fireworks display.  The child was beautiful and looked so much like Yonghwa.  The 1st birthday celebration of the CNB Holdings granchild was the talk of the society for months.

Ah – I really hate waiting!

Shin Hye banged the coffee cup on its saucer and was preparing to leave when she sees Joohyun walking towards her. Shine Hye’s eyes register the red Dior fall coat, the matching black Gucci tote and low sling back shoes.  The patterned Dior shift dress completing the look that seemed effortless and simple but belied the fact that the entire ensemble would have easily cost $20,000 USD. 

“Maineyo – the traffic was horrendous. I hope you didn’t wait long.” Joohyun’s face was flushed as she sat down the arm chair opposite Shin Hye.

One of the servers come over and asks her what she would like to drink.  Joohyun smiles up at the young man and tells him that she would like fresh orange juice.  Shin Hye frowns as she sees the young man become flustered by Joohyun’s smile. The woman wasted her charms on everyone – it was so middle class.

Shin Hye waited until the server was out of earshot befor speaking. “What is it you called me here for?”

“I know you’re in a hurry – so I will be brief.” Joohyun smiles at her. She takes out a white square paper from the pocket of her coat and pushes it towards Shin Hye.

“What is this?” Shin Hye picks up the small picture.

“You should give up now Unnie.” Joohyun said quietly.

Shin Hye was about to reply when the server came.  Once again Joohyun smiles up at the young man and thanks him.

“Morago? Pugi? Waeyo?” Shin Hye scowls at Joohyun and turns her attention to the paper she was holding. Her hand shook a little as she stared at the tiny picture of a fetus.

“Unnie – this baby is almost 4 weeks old. Our son is turning 2. Time to give up on my husband Unnie.” Joohyun drank half of the juice in one gulp.

“You think that having another child will bind him to you more?” Shin Hye threw the picture on the table.

“Our babies are made from the love Oppa and I have for one another.  I am bound to him as he is to me.” Joohyun takes the picture and puts it back in her coat pocket. “I’ve invited my parents and parents in law for dinner tonight. I’m meeting Oppa in 15 minutes. I’ll tell him first then announce it after dinner to our parents.”

 “Seo Joohyun –“Shin Hye’s voice started to rise.

“Don’t embarrass yourself Unnie. Just as some people will still remember our so called shot gun marriage –you think they won’t mark you as a home wrecker if ever you do manage to destroy my marriage? Your father will never live down the humiliation. This society that you belong to and that I married into is unforgiving. So while I am still being nice – give up on my husband. You will never have him.” Joohyun finishes her orange juice and stands up. “Jal jja. The bill for our drinks is already paid.”

Shin Hye had to resist the urge to throw the empty glass at Joohyun.  But there were people who looked their way when she raised her voice.

Joohyun takes out her phone and dials a number.

“Shi Yoon-ssi. I’ve talked to her. It’s now up to you.” Joohyun tells Shin Hye’s most ardent admirer. She ends the conversation and deletes his number. She had no purpose to keep it as her Oppa may misunderstand.

Joohyun heads for Aria to wait for her husband. She was shaking and it had taken all of the poise and composure that Samonim had instilled in her to respond calmly to the haughty young woman she was just talking to.

She sighs as she sits on the plush chair in the farthest booth of the restaurant. Her social life had been hectic lately and school was just starting. Jae was an active little boy and while he would never lack for people to see to his every need Joohyun wanted a normal life for him. She and Oppa personally took care of their little son as much as they could. But lately she had been feeling very tired and her body felt heavy. She was afraid she was coming down with the flu so she went to Seoul right after her morning classes and set up an appointment see BoAh Unnie at 2 pm Friday afternoon.

Her cousin in law’s pregnancy was showing clearly over her white gown and she was the glowing with good health. Joohyun was quite surprised when BoAh sent her up to Dr. Kwon. The elderly doctor took just one look at her and told her she was pregnant.

Joohyun laughed thinking that he was joking and the kind doctor ordered a pregnancy test kit.  When the results came Joohyun was surprised - she was indeed pregnant.  Dr. Kwon then requested an ultrasound. It’s just a precaution the medical director told her. He just wanted to see if the baby was in a safe position and did not lack any fluids.

Joohyun burst into tears when she was handed the tiny photo.  Dr. Kwon had given her 2 bottles of pre-natal vitamins and told her to monitor herself. Joohyun nods her head.  She knew that what she was supposed to do given her history of bleeding.

“Can I tell Oppa already?” She holds the kind doctor’s hand.

“Of course. Tell the family. Don’t be afraid Joohyun. Pregnancies are never the same – there are similarities but never the same.” Dr. Kwon patted the young woman’s hand. “Did this little one come as a surprise?”

Joohyun nods her head. “But I want the baby.”

“Of course you do – you’re a good mother my dear.  Last time you came for a visit I couldn’t believe how big our Jae has grown!” Joohyun and the doctor share a laugh.  She always brought Jae over for Dr. Kwon to see. “Bring him on your next monthly visit. I miss him already.”

Joohyun leaves the hospital with a happy heart, the traffic didn’t bother her and she was glad that she had good news to share with her family. She sent a text to Shin Hye requesting a meeting at 4 and she calls the Manager of Aria at the Westin Chosun and books a table for 6.  She also texts her parents and her mother in law requesting them to meet Yonghwa and herself for dinner that evening.

“You look so happy Agassi.” Yonguk tells her as she hands him the keys to the Honda. As per Yonghwa’s instructions Joohyun was always accompanied by 3 guards when she was in Seoul by herself.  They usually let her drive the car with the sedan following her closely. Joohyun had given up on asking her husband to let her just have one guard if she was just by herself but Yonghwa had thrown a tantrum and sulked for days until her own mother had intervened. Your position as CNB Holdings daughter requires it her mother reminded her.

“I am.” Joohyun smiles at the head guard. “Thank you gor accompanying me today.  You can go back to the house.”

Yonguk waits until Yonghwa arrives with Ahjussi before leaving. As independent as their Agassi may be – they still had to ensure her safety. Yonghuk calls the guard that was with Joohyun at the restaurant to inform him that Doryeongnim had arrived. The couple’s security guards exchange greetings. Ahjussi would drive the couple back home after dinner and 2 guards would be on security detail.

Yonghwa was ushered into the restaurant by the Manager himself and was standing at a distance looking at his wife.  Joohyun was drinking juice and looking at her mobile.  He could only assume that she was looking at the text he had sent earlier.  Their Aigyah was getting talkative and the young parents were always in stitches whenever Ahjussi and their little boy carried out a conversation. That morning was no different. At lunch, Jae refused to eat his vegetables and Ahjussi was trying to make the little boy eat it. But it ended up with Ahjussi eating more of the veggies than Jae. The little one kept giving his portion to Ahjussi who could not refuse the little hand offering the cauliflower. Good boy the little one said to the old man – mimicking Joohyun’s praises whenever Jae ate veggies.  The guards, Yonghwa and his doongsaengs all had to step out of the house in order to laugh.

“I’ve been standing in front of you for a few minutes, Buin.” Yonghwa takes the seat next to his wife.

“Oppa –mian.” Joohyun’s cheeks turn pink. She turns her face to receive her husband’s kiss. Her Oppa was never shy to publicly show his affection even if sometimes it embarrassed Joohyun. His lips lingered over hers making the servers shyly turn their heads even if they were used to Mr. Jung kissing his beautiful wife. 

“What were you thinking about? You were smiling.”  He holds her hand and looks into her eyes.

“A gift for you.” She leans and whispers into his ear.

“For me? Is it in a box? Can I shake it?” His eyes light up mischieviously.

“Uhm – it’s in a sort of box and you definitely can’t shake it.” She smiles and plays along with him.

“What? Tell me!” He pulls her closer.

“Close your eyes and hold out your hand.” She tells him.

Yonghwa closes his eyes and holds out his right hand. Joohyun’s eyes blur with tears as she holds up his hand and kisses his wedding ring. She pulls out the tiny photo and puts it in his hand her tears falling.

Yonghwa opens his eyes to his wife’s smiling but wet face. “Buin! What’s wrong?” He holds up the small photo and wordlessly stares at it.

“That-that- that small dot- it’s a baby right? Joohyun? Right?” He looks at her. His hand grips her own.

Joohyun nods. Her heart was hammering in her chest. She was afraid that her husband didn’t want another child so soon. She covers his hand with her other hand the 8 carat wedding ring catching the light.

Yonghwa embraces her tightly.

“Oppa – are you disappointed?” Joohyun whispers.

“No sweetheart – I’m so happy we’re having another baby but at the same time I’m so scared because of what you went thru with Aigyah.” Joohyun looks at her husband. His eyes glistened with unshed tears.

“Dr. Kwon said everything was alright. I have my pre-natal vitamins and I am to monitor myself. But Oppa the important thing he told me was that not all pregnancies are the same. My pregnancy with Aigyah was stressful because of the situation we were in. What I feel with this baby is different.”

“What do you feel? Tell me. You mustn’t keep anything from me. Do you want anything to eat?” He puts his hand on her still flat stomach.

“That’s what I mean – there is no nausea at least not yet. I don’t crave anything – yet. I’ve just been feeling tired lately.” She smiles at him.

“Is that why we’ve invited our parents to this dinner? Hwejangnim was quite surprised since it’s was so short noticed. Did you tell anyone yet? Your unnies?” Yonghwa takes his handkerchief and blots his wife’s face.

“Just one unnie.” Joohyun replies.

“Who?” Yonghwa asks.

“Shin Hye.”

“Why? Did you see her in the hospital?”

“No. I met with her today right after my hospital visit.  She was quite surprised since it was also on short notice.”

“Why did you tell her?” Yonghwa leans closer to look into his wife’s eyes.  His Joohyun seldom did anything without reason.

“I told her to give up on you.” Joohyun tells him.

“Ah, Buin – don’t mind her – don’t mind them. You are pregnant and I don’t want you to waste your time on people like that.” Yonghwa replies. “Promise me.”

“We meet her socially Oppa how can I ignore her? But today was the last time I will talk to her about you.” She touches his nose.

“Silly silly Buin. Just think about our baby – our babies! That sounds good – our babies.” Yonghwa smiles at his wife.

Joohyun and Yonghwa talk further as they waited for their parents to come.  Her due date was June and while Yonghwa agreed that she could finish the 1st semester he didn’t want to commit to letting her finish the 2nd semester. It depended on her health and the baby’s.  She can finish school anytime she wanted her husband pointed out. Joohyun could not argue with that.

Joohyun’s parents were the first to arrive.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter