HIS WIFE - WHEN THE RAIN STOPS (PART 2)

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was early morning when Joohyun starts to regain consciousness. She felt like her eyelids didn’t want to open and that it was painful to even open her eyes. Then her memory kicks in and she opens to scream but her voice was merely a whisper.

“Aigyah – Aigyah- don’t let go of Omma!” Her head was pounding but she must wake up. She battles her double vision all the while repeating her son’s name and telling him not to let go.

“Joohyun – sweetheart, I’m here.”Yonghwa leans over and tenderly holds her bruised face with his hands.

At the sound of his voice Joohyun stops. “Oppa – Oppa – Aigyah – where is Jae?” Her tears start to fall. “Where’s my baby? Jae!”

“Shush – sweetheart – Jae’s alright. He’s sleeping now. Stop crying and rest. I’m here. I won’t leave you.” He holds her gently and her hand reaches out to hold his.

“Oppa –I hurt all over.” She tries to focus on her husband’s face. But her vision kept doubling.

“You’re in a hospital Buin.” Yonghwa whispers to her. “You’re alright – Jae’s alright. Close your eyes first.” He kisses her temple and holds her as gently as he could.

“Don’t leave me Oppa. Don’t - it’s so dark.” She sighs and goes limp.

Yonghwa calls the nurse to check on Joohyun. He was relieved when she said her vitals were stable– it was just her anesthesia wearing off.  The nurse adjusts the IV and tells him that his wife will sleep for another 4 hours.

“You should lie down Mr. Jung – or I just might put an IV on you also.” She tells Yonghwa.

He gives her brief smile and after the nurse leaves he once again holds his wife’s hand and rests his head on her bed.

After 3 hours of sleep Yonghwa hears soft voices in the room. Jae was telling Aeyah to keep quiet because Omma and Appa were sleeping. Then he hears Min Sun whispering to the children that they should eat breakfast first then come back. When he hears the door close Yonghwa opens his eyes.

He had a pounding headache but he ignores it and looks at Joohyun’s face.  He breathes a sigh of relief – she had a bit more color on her face than last night.

He takes a bottle of water from the fridge and holds it against his temple. His stomach was growling and his head was pounding but he was going to wait until Joohyun wakes up.

He reaches for his coat and checks his phone – he had more than 30 texts and missed calls from their friends and relatives. He had a text from his father in law informing him that they were about to board their flight to New York.

Yonghwa opens the blinds slightly and looks out to the city of New York waking up.  Just yesterday they were home – arguing about contact lenses and afternoon tea.  Today – his wife was lying unconscious from an accident.

He looks around the room and notices that sometime last night – Min Sun or one of the guards had taken up the bouquet he bought for Joohyun.  It was in a glass container – possibly provided by the nurses’ station. Yonghwa puts the flowers near to Joohyun so that she would see them as soon as she woke up.

“Oppa….” A soft voice calls out to him.

“Sweetheart – you’re awake…” Yonghwa sit down on the bed and takes his wife’s hand and kisses it.

Joohyun looks at him and tears start to fall from her eyes. “Oppa – is it true about the baby? That…that we lost our baby?”

“Don’t Buin please – what’s important is that you’re safe and Jae’s safe.” He kisses her lips and gently touches her face. “Just concentrate on being well.”

“But Oppa – I had a suspicion that I was pregnant but I just brushed the thought away. We agreed to have a baby when we go home ….” She starts sobbing.

“Joohyunah – Joohyunah listen to Oppa – the doctors tried their best but it just wasn’t meant to be – sweet heart please don’t blame yourself about what happened – it was an accident. Don’t cry please – I wouldn’t know what to do if I lost you and Jae…” Yonghwa’s tears mingled with Joohyun’s. “We’ll pray for our baby – he or she won’t be forgotten.” The couple embrace each and weep – for their lost little one.

After a few minutes, Yonghwa pulls away and looks at Joohyun. “Enough now Joohyunah – the children want to see you.” He lets go of her and goes to the bathroom.

He comes back and wipes her face gently with a warm towel. “They’ll cry if they see you this way. Jae specially. Be brave Buin – for our kids.”

Joohyun nods and asks him to adjust her bed. She grimaces in pain when she moves her arm so Yonghwa places a pillow under her arm. Then she looks at her wrist and turns pale.

“My bracelet – Oppa – where’s my bracelet?” She starts crying again.

Yonghwa knew that she was very sensitive so he quickly embraces her. “I’ll ask the nurses maybe they just put it aside. Don’t cry sweetheart please – you’re breaking my heart. Joohyunah!”

He lets her cry against his neck. His hands caress her back. He wanted to take all the pain she was feeling and put it on himself.  He rocks her gently until she was quiet again.

“Are you alright now sweetheart?” Yonghwa looks at her and dries her tears with the damp towel.

She nods and gives him a tremulous smile. “I’ll try Oppa. I want to see the children but I’m so afraid of breaking down and crying.” She blinks back tears.

“That’s alright sweetheart – but let the kids see you – Jae specially – he’s so very worried about you.” Yonghwa kisses her cheek.

“Alright Oppa – just the kids. And Madame too.” Joohyun nods. And Yonghwa leaves the room to get the kids and Min Sun.

As she waited for the kids and Madame, Joohyun tries to control the feelings of pain and sadness.  Her mind told her logically that she was very lucky to have survived the accident and saved Jae. But her maternal feelings grieved for the little life that was no longer in her body. Now she knew how much sadness her own mother felt every time she miscarried. She blinks back tears – she was a mother and her children needed her. She sees the flowers and she smiles – Oppa probably picked up a bouquet yesterday as way of apologizing for his mood yesterday. Joohyun smiles – trust her husband to know ways to melt her heart.

“Omma!” The door opens and Yonghwa with Jae in his arms followed by a guard with Jae’s IV drip.

“Aigyah!” Joohyun smiles and holds out one arm. She waits as her husband gently puts their son next to her on the bed. Jae was crying and embraces her. Joohyun kisses the top of his head and holds him.

“Omma – Omma I was so scared for us.” Jae kept repeating against her chest. “I was afraid for you.”

“Aigyah – its fine now – you and I just need to get well. We don’t want Appa and Madame to worry about us right?” Joohyun whispers in his ear.

The little boy’s sobs subside and he lies down quietly next to his mother. He held her tightly seemingly no wanting to be separated from her.

Yonghwa just watches them. His wife and son went thru a horrific accident and he was very grateful that they were able to survive it with no major injuries.

“Thank you for the flowers Oppa – it’s very sweet of you.” Joohyun blows her husband a kiss.

“Appa –“Jae calls out and looks at Yonghwa. “I’ll miss school.”

“Missing school is the least of your worries. You just concentrate on getting well. Appa will call the school and explain.” Yonghwa leans and kisses his son.

“Then I won’t be first in class anymore.” He pouts and holds his father’s hand tightly. “My teacher said I could be first by the time school ends.”

“There you are!” A lady doctor greets them. “We thought Master Jae went for a walk!” She was a young Asian woman and she was smiling as she enters the room.

“Good morning I’m Doctor Anna Lee – I’ll be Jae’s attending pediatrician for the duration of his stay here.”

Yonghwa stands and shakes the doctor’s extended hand.

“Sorry but he woke up this morning and just had to see his mother.”

“Understandable – with what they both went thru.” The doctor nods.

“Can you just check me here with my mother?” Jae asks. “Please.”

“What a charming little boy!” The doctor gives a little laugh. “Your mother can’t move very well. How about Daddy just put you on the sofa so I can check on you? Daddy please?”

Yonghwa carries Jae on put him on the sofa. He holds his son’s hand as the doctor examines him.

“Now Jae, do you feel pain anywhere? You must tell your parents if you feel anything. Accidents like this sometimes it takes days for people to feel anything – especially little ones like you.”

Jae nods solemnly. “I will tell Omma and Appa – I mean Mommy and Daddy.”

“You’re Korean?” The doctor asks Jae. “So am I – but I was born here and grew up here. Are you going to stay here to study?”

Jae shakes his head. “I have to go home to my grandparents. They’ll be sad if we stayed here.”

“Oh I see.” The doctor nods. “Well, I will see you again tomorrow. Mr. Jung – if I can see you outside.”

Yonghwa nods and puts Jae back on the bed with Joohyun.

Outside the doctor informs him that the press had already gotten wind that Joohyun and Jae were in an accident. 

“I know you’re chaebol – I saw you and your lovely wife in the dinner that the Korean ambassador gave. I’m very glad that your wife and Jae survived that accident. People are praising your wife for her bravery in keeping your son safe. Every local station is downstairs and wants someone to talk to them about how Jae and his mother are faring.  The police captain already gave a statement this morning.”

“Thanks so much for telling me. I’ll have my PR department deal with this. We don’t intend to entertain any interviews – local or otherwise.” Yonghwa shakes the doctor’s hand. “We’ll see you again tomorrow.”

When Yonghwa enters the room – Joohyun signals that Jae was asleep beside her. He gently picks up their son and puts the little boy on the sofa and covers him with a blanket.

“Oppa where’s Aeyah?”

“She’s still asleep – Yooh Moh is with her. Do you want to eat already Buin?”

Joohyun nods and gives a little smile. Yonghwa’s heart lightened a bit – she was smiling even just a little even if her eyes were still sad.

He calls one of the guards and instructs him to tell the nurses to bring a food tray to Joohyun. Then he comes back and sits on the chair next to Joohyun’s bed.

“Oppa – next to me.” Joohyun extends her hand.

“We won’t fit – your arm.” He stands and leans to kiss her.

“We will –“She tugs at his arm.

  He manages to half lie on the bed with his arm around Joohyun. She lays her head on his chest and sighs – she was asleep in minutes.

When their guard enters with the nurse bearing 2 trays – Yonghwa had to try to move out of the bed without waking Joohyun. But she does wake up and tries to sit up so that she could have breakfast.

“Doryeon-nim – I got another tray – you didn’t eat last night.” Guard Shin puts the other tray next to Yonghwa.

“Have you and the other guards eaten? How about Yooh moh?” Yonghwa asks.

“Everyone ate already including Madame. Princess is still sleeping.” The guard smiles at Yonghwa. “Agassi – we are all happy that you’re alright.”

“Thank you Guard Shin.” Joohyun smiles and picks up a spoon to eat her oatmeal.

“Ah- Madame said that she’ll be going home after Princess wakes up so that she can bring food.”

“No – don’t I think it’s not allowed.” Yonghwa replies. He was half way finished with his oatmeal and toast.

“Ma-ma!” The door suddenly opens and Aeyah runs in. Both parents simultaneously tell her to keep quiet. The little girl stops and covers with both hands. “Oppa asleep.”

She walks quietly to her mother’s bed and lifts up her arms. “Ma-ma carry Aeyah.”

“Omma can’t little one – see Omma has bandage.” Joohyun points to her arm and wrist.

“Oh – poor Ma-ma – Aeyah kiss Ma-ma to make it better!” She reaches up but couldn’t quite reach her mother’s arm. “Park Ahjussi – help Aeyah!”

Her parents could only smile and shake their heads – indeed their daughter was Princess judging from the 3 guards that hurried to help her. Guard Park holds the little girl so that she could kiss Joohyun’s arm and cheek.

Yonghwa calls over their little girl and makes her sit next to him. He feeds her some of his breakfast. After he finishes, he signals the guards to take the trays away.

“Buin-you hardly ate.” He looks at his wife’s tray.

“The food tastes strange Oppa – maybe because of my medicine. I’ll try to eat more at lunch.” Joohyun yawns. “I’m tired.”

Yonghwa adjusts her bed and makes sure that Joohyun was comfortable. He gives her a kiss and whispers that he’d wake her up when the doctors come.

The guards leave the little family and Yonghwa just sits and watches his wife and son sleep. Aeyah climbs on his lap and he embraces her warmly telling her that he loves them all so much.

“We love you too Appa.” His little girl smiles and holds his face with her little hands. “But your face has little hairs that are making my hands itchy.”

Yonghwa just had to chuckle – his youngest would always make him smile. “That’s because Appa hasn’t shaved yet.”

She nods wisely and gives him a kiss on his nose. “Don’t worry you still look pretty.”

“Appa is a boy, Princess – you should say handsome.” He playfully tweaks her nose. “You’re a funny little one.”

They keep on talking – Yonghwa felt his tiredness and worry take a momentary back seat. He was with his family.

“Good morning.” An elderly man peeks from the door. “Dr. Taylor – I’m here to see Mrs. Jung about her arm and wrist.”

Yonghwa puts his little girl down and leans to whisper to Joohyun that her doctor was here.

“Are you going to make my Ma-ma better?” Aeyah looks up at the doctor.

“Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter