THE INTERVIEW - YONGHWA

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HIS WIFE – THE INTERVIEW : YONGHWA

The morning after Joohyun and Yoona found out the past relationship between Yooona’s Appa and her Omma Joohyun came to a decision.

Hastily dressing up she requested Yoona to take her home and wait for her.  Joohyun was going to live with Yoona and her father for a while.

“Maknae – are you sure your parents will permit you?” Yoona looks at her as she pulls up at the gate of Joohyun’s house.

“We would probably have another quarrel but I think Omma will understand.” Joohyun said. She tried to sound more decisive than what she really felt.

Joohyun had never in her entire life defied her father as openly as what she was doing now.  Last night as Yoona was sleeping, Joohyun stayed awake. Looking into her memories and finding all times that she was obedient to her parents.  Her only other clash with her father was her taking high school in a private boarding school in upstate New York and not in a performing arts school. Her Omma had supported her then.

Would her Omma support her now?

Joohyun let out a deep sigh as she opened the door.  Their house was silent.

“Agassi!” her Ahjumma hurried to her. “Are you alright? I was so worried about you but your Omma told me that you’re sleeping at your friend’s house.”

“I’m fine Ahjumma. Thank you for worrying about me.” Joohyun patted the older woman’s arm fondly.

“Have you eaten? Your Omma is upstairs. Your Appa left very early this morning.”

“I’ll eat later. I’ll just go upstairs and see Omma.”

“Ah, Agassi – how is your young man?”

“He’s fine Ahjumma.”

“That’s good.” The maid bows to Joohyun before going back to the kitchen.

Joohyu hurries up the stairs and goes into her parents’ bedroom.

“Omma!” Joohyun calls out.

“Ah- you came.” Her mother was in the dressing room getting ready for work.

“Can I spend what’s left of my school vacation at Yoona’s house?” Joohyun sat on the bed.  Her face pale, voice determined, her hands clasped tightly together.

“Hmm, Hyun-ah you looked exactly like that when you asked your father to let you train in piano and exactly like that again when you asked him to let you study in a boarding school. That glint of determination in your eyes, the stubborn set of your jaw – you are really your father’s daughter.” Her Omma shook her head and sat down on the vanity stool. “And now here you are again.”

“I’m sorry for always putting you in the middle Omma.” Joohyun blinked to keep her tears from falling.

“Your father is out of town with Atty Cho. He’ll be back in three days.” Her mother sighs.

“So I can go?” Joohyun asks.

“Hyun-ah – I –“Her mother sits down beside her and puts an arm around her shoulder. “I have a request.”

“Don’t tell me not to meet him Omma please.” Joohyun looks at her mother. “Because you know I will still do that.”

“Hyun-ah” Her mother embraces her. ”You are the product of two very stubborn people. And that was not my request.”

“What is your request Omma?” Joohyun pulls out of her mother’s embrace.

“I want to meet your boyfriend.” Her mother holds her cheek tenderly.

“Chongmal Omma? You’re willing to meet him? Without Appa?” Joohyun blinks.

“Now you look like a goldfish. Close your mouth!” Her mother stands up and heads for the vanity.

“When – when would you like to meet him?” Joohyun asks.

“Tonight.” Her mother was putting on her makeup. “You can stay in Yoona’s house the day before your father arrives until then you just stay here. Now – go and tell Ahjumma that we’re having guests tonight.”

“Guests?”

“Uhm- Yoona’s father is coming and I told him to bring Yoona. Now go away – I have to meet a client in an hour and I’m going to be late.”

Joohyun rushes to embrace her mother.

“Thank you – thank you so much Omma!”

“Don’t thank me yet. I’ve still to meet him.”

Joohyun gives her a final hug and rushes out of the room calling for Ahjumma.

“Agassi! Goodness! I almost dropped the plates I was washing! What is it?” Ahjumma hurried towards her.

Throwing her arms around the older woman, Joohyun tells her that they will having guests tonight. Yonghwa, Yoona’s father and Yoona.

Ahjumma and Joohyun were jumping up and down with glee when her Omma found them in the kitchen.

“I’m going now.  Is that Yoona parked in front of our gate?” Her Omma asks.

“Yes, I’ll tell her to move so you can go.”

 “I’ll leave you to handle informing everyone that dinner is at 6. Ahjumma – I leave the menu with you.”

Joohyun squeezes Ahjumma’s hand one more time before following her mother.

“Omma – how about Ahjussi?”

“One battle at a time daughter.” Her mother answers.

“Omma can I ask why you suddenly want to meet Yonghwa even without Appa?” Joohyun catches her mother’s hand.

“I’m a lawyer Hyun-ah.  Lawyers need to meet their clients before establishing defense and arguments. Think of your boyfriend as my client. Don’t worry – I’m an excellent lawyer. ” Her mother touches Joohyun’s cheek lightly.

 Joohyun gives her mother a kiss before hurrying out and telling Yoona to move her car so that her mother’s car could leave.

Yoona and Joohyun bow as her mother’s car turns to the street.

“You’re about to explode Seo baby!” Yoona looks at the radiantly happy girl next to her.

Joohyun tells her about the dinner tonight and the two girls embrace happily. Yoona calls her father and confirms that they were going to have dinner that night at Joohyun’s house.

“My Appa said he received the invitation early this morning and that he’s already said yes.” Yoona told Joohyun.

“Ah – we must tell Oppa.  He still doesn’t have his phone. Can we just drive over to his house and tell him?” Joohyun asks.

“Of course. Let’s go.” Yoona starts the car.

“Hmm… I really miss Ahjussi. He would have been so happy to know about this. But Omma said one problem at a time.” Joohyun sighs.

“Yah – Maknae – you really must learn how to drive here in Korea! Tell Yong Oppa to teach you.” Yoona looks at her friend and smiles.

“I will Unnie – Ahjussi and I had planned to do that this week long vacation. I’ve already studied for the written exam. I just need to go there and take it then schedule a road test.” Joohyun answered.

“You do know that the practical test is in stick shift not in automatic right?” Yoona said.

“I know! I have all the necessary papers to change my US drivers’ license to Korean drivers’ license. Oppa insists that I need to have a license that states that I can drive both stick shift and automatic.  Really this country is weird.” Joohyuns exclaims.

“Jonghyun Oppa insisted on the same thing for me and Appa agreed. I think it’s for insurance purposes Maknae. In case of accidents.” Yoona pulls over across Yonghwa’s house.

 The 2 girls cross the street and walk over to the guards.

“Annyeong hasayo!” They bow to the guards.

“Agassi!” They all bow to Joohyun.  One hurriedly opens the gate while the other goes to the intercom to announce that Joohyun was there.

They were met by Min Sun. Both girls still gaped at the cabinet that held the guests’ slippers as well as the visitors’ shoes. They quickly changed their shoes to slippers before following Min Sun to the living room.

“Agassi! The Doryeonim is still asleep but I’ll wake him up for you.” Min Sun ushers them to the living room.

“Oppa’s house is huge!” Yoona exclaims as they seat themselves on the long white sofa.

“I know.  He took me around last night and I didn’t know which way to look.” Joohyun giggled.

“You look happier today Joohyun-ah” Yonghwa said as he came down the winding staircase with Min Sun behind him.

Joohyun rushes to meet him and embraces him tightly. “Good morning Oppa!”

If Min Sun was surprised but she held herself in check.

Joohyun was different.  Any girl raised in Korea – would - like Yoona - wait until Yonghwa would approach them before greeting him. The man usually would greet the girl first and hold her hand.  But this girl – happiness shining on her beautiful face – didn’t hesitate to fling herself into her ward’s arms and embrace him.   She must remember to talk to Joohyun about her spontaneous acts.  They were endearing but may be misinterpreted by others.

Yonghwa returns the warm embrace but remembers that he’d be getting another sharp look from Min Sun. Kissing Joohyun on her forehead he then holds her hand and leads her back to the sofa where Yoona also greets him.

“Tell me – what is making you so happy?”Yonghwa asks.

“My mother is inviting you to dinner tonight.” Joohyun smiles radiantly at him.

For a few seconds Yonghwa just looks blankly at his girlfriend. Then Yoona starts laughing.

“You don’t want to meet my mother?” Joohyun asks. “You’re not scared are you?”

“Oppa – I wish I had a camera – your expression was priceless!” Yoona was wiping tears of mirth.

“No- why should I be scared? It’s just so sudden.” Yonghwa‘s cheeks turns pink.

Min Sun coughs discreetly studiously avoiding Yonghwa’s face so that she wouldn’t laugh.

“What brought this about Agassi?” Min Sun asks.

Joohyun told them about her earlier conversation with her mother.

“Now I’m nervous about meeting her.” Yonghwa said.

“Oppa don’t be. Just be yourself. My boyfriend who goes to school at Suwon. A regular guy.”Joohyun grasps his hand.

Min Sun choked.

“Yoo-moh! Yoo Moh!” Are you alright?” Yonghwa gently pounded his governess’ back.

“Yes – yes I’m alright. Yonghwa-yah! You’re not regular. You will never be regular. I’m just amused that you’ll try to be.”

“We know that Madam – but I would really want my parents to like him for himself. Sincerely.” Joohyun said.

“Ara- you’re a good girl.” Min Sun pats Joohyun’s hand.

Just then Yoona’s stomach made a protesting sound.

“I’m so sorry” Yoona blushes.

“You haven’t eaten yet? Both of you?” Min Sun asks.

“I was in such a hurry to tell Oppa that I dragged Yoona here without having breakfast. I’m so sorry Unnie! Let’s go home now.” Joohyun stands up and grabs Yoona’s hand.

“No – no – eat here. Just take them to the breakfast room Yongie!” Min Sun stands up and starts calling out to the house help.

“Yongie? She calls you Yongie?” Yoona was holding her stomach and laughing hard.

“Unnie! I think it’s sw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter