His Wife - DIFFERENCES

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa steps out of the bedroom door with a decisive click. Min Sun and Joohyun’s Omma could see that he was angry. He takes 3 short breaths and angrily ruffles his hair. Noticing that the two women were staring at him from the sofa he makes an effort to contain his emotions. Sighing he approaches them.

“Ommonim, Yoo-moh - I’m just going to step out. I’ll be back soon.” He tells them.

“Deh, Doryeonim.” Min Sun nods.

“That’s the 3rd time it’s happened in 2 days.” Mrs. Seo remarks. “Do you think they’re quarreling?”

“I don’t know – why don’t you check our patient.” Min Sun suggests. Joohyun’s mother nods and head for the bedroom.

She finds Joohyun seated on the bed – writing in the notebook that Yonghwa had given the day before.  Her other hand clutching the phone her knuckles white.

“Hyunnie – did you and Yonghwa quarrel perhaps?” Her mother gently probed.

“Is he outside?” She asks not looking up from what she was writing.

“He left.” Her mother answers. “Like he did yesterday – he left twice yesterday.  What is happening?”

“Nothing Omma.” Joohyun stops writing and lets out a sigh.” Can you please get me banana milk Omma? I’m hungry. “

Her mother stands near the door hoping she would say something more but Joohyun kept writing. The moment the door closes Joohyun lets 2 fat tears roll down her face and holds her stomach.

Aigyah –uri Appa is angry at Omma.  But he doesn’t understand that I need to do this.  Omma just has to do this for all of us.

Just then her phone rings.  She lets out a shaky breath and answers the phone. “Deh, you have the information? Kamsahamnida. Don’t worry – I will talk to him about it. Let me just write that down.”

Yonghwa came back after 45 minutes.  He had a bouquet of lilies in his hands and one of the guards had a bag of groceries.  Min Sun gets the bag of groceries from the guard and looks at the contents. “Oh – you got cherries. Did she ask for them? I thought she wanted strawberries? Oh, you got strawberries too. Banana milk – good.  4 pints of ice cream? I think that’s for you. Did you walk all the way to the supermarket again Doryeonim? I told you, Samonim-“

“Yoo-mo I took one guard with me. Yes, I walked – I needed to clear some things in my head.” Yonghwa sighs as he grabs a pint of ice cream and a spoon.  He sits on the sofa and offers the ice cream to Mrs. Seo.” Ommonim do you want some ice cream?”

“No thank you Yong.  Are you alright?  Are you two quarreling?” Joohyun’s Omma asks.

“Just a difference of opinion.  Nothing we can’t solve.” He answers and was soon immersed in the sports news.

 “Shall I tell her you’re back?” Min Sun arranges the lilies in a tall pitcher she managed to find in the cabinet.

Yonghwa shakes his head and continues watching for the next hour – lazily spooning the ice cream clearly bidding his time. He was almost finished with the ice cream when one of the guards walk in and announces a visitor.

It was Max Changmin. 

“Yonghwa! Yunho sunbae told me about Joohyun.  I just got back. How is she?” He and Yonghwa exchange handshakes.

Min Sun was closest to the bedroom door and offers to get Joohyun.  Yonghwa shakes his head. “I’ll bring her.” He enters the room with the pitcher containing the lilies.

Joohyun regards him silently when he enters the room.  She had sent him 4 texts since he left that he hadn’t answered and she was getting worried.  He puts the flowers on the table farthest from their bed.

“The flowers are lovely. Thank you.” She addresses him.

“Max is here to see you.” He tells her. He walks towards her his hand outstretched his face without emotion. Joohyun takes his hand and as she stands and pulls him into an embrace. He stands still for a while before sighing and returning her embrace.

“Oppa –“she whispers.

“Not the time to talk – we have a visitor.  Would you like to freshen up a bit before seeing him? I can call your Omma or Min Sun.” He puts her away from and scans her face.

“I think I look alright- Sunbae doesn’t mind he’s seen me in far worst condition than this.” Joohyun replies.

“As you wish –,” Yonghwa holds her arm and leads her out of the bedroom.  She was doing really better now – she was able to sit down at the dining table to take her meals, she was able to walk out to the terrace for morning sun and to sometimes watchTV with either her Omma or Min Sun.

Joohyun steals a look at his profile while they were on their way out.  He was irritated with her she knew.  It was a testament to his patience with her that he hadn’t shouted at her even if she had been trying his patience since yesterday.

“Don’t steal glances at me.” He says not looking at her. “My argument remains.”

She nods silently.

Max stands up as soon as he sees Joohyun. “Wah – Yunho Sunbae wasn’t kidding when he said you lost weight.  I hope you’re feeling better now.”

“She’s gaining weight already and she’s getting stronger.” Yonghwa replies as he gently seats Joohyun down on the sofa.  He sits beside her and they unconsciously link their hands together.

Min Sun and Mrs. Seo who were in the kitchen preparing food look at each other with raised eyebrows. The couple certainly didn’t look like they were at odds.

“Mian Hyun that I wasn’t able to visit you sooner.  I had to go back to New York – some family business. Oh by the way I saw some friends of yours – Dongwoon, Yoseob, Jia and Min.  My cousins and I were in a bar and we saw them.  They send their regards and are asking when you’re coming back.”

“Coming back?” Yonghwa looks at Joohyun.

“Well, I told them that I would go back to New York if I didn’t like it here.” Joohyun responds. “But that was before –“

“We can go there when you’re better.” He replies and once again turns his attention to Max.

“Oh- wait I got something for you.  I had to leave it with the 2 guards outside because they wanted to check it.” Max stands up and heads for the door.  He comes back with a huge bouquet of tiger lilies and a basket of fruit with a stuffed teddy bear.

“I remember how much you love lilies - N told me how he used to give you roses and one time he found out that you would give them to your piano teacher’s wife. When he changed from giving roses to lilies did you bring them home?” Max asks.

“No – I still gave them to my teacher’s wife.” Joohyun lets out a little laugh.”I just kept one for myself.”

“Oh – I remember who you are now – you’re Hyunnie’s crush all through high school.” Mrs. Seo exclaims as she goes near Max and claps his shoulder. Max lets out a nervous laugh and glances to Joohyun and Yonghwa.

Joohyun felt her face go hot.  She didn’t dare to look at Yonghwa.

“Ah- Yong don’t get jealous – he was the only one that she had a crush on.  Believe me there were lots of boys who came by but she wasn’t interested. There was this boy – who was that Hyunnie – who waited for you everytime you had piano practice?”

“That was Doojoon.” Max answered.

“And the one who tried to take you home in his car?”

“That was Kris.” Max answered again.

“And of course the Lily giver – N. What a funny name! He was the one who cried - didn’t he Hyunnie at the prom?” Her Omma reminisced.

“Deh Omma. He did. “Joohyun nodded weakly.

“You seem to be pretty popular with the boys.” Yonghwa commented.  He didn’t let go of Joohyun’s hand but his voice was definitely cool.

“Popular? Well, you could say that – there were boys there who simply liked to torment her since was younger than them.  That’s why between piano practices, I took Hyun to the gym. Just a little self defense practice – she got really popular when she knocked one of those white boys out – what was his name Hyunnie?” Max asks.

“Zac” Joohyun replied – she was sure that Oppa would scold her when they were alone.

“Yong – that’s the one and only time that I had to come to the principal’s office – all the way from Korea. She broke the boy’s nose and his arm.  Even his own parents couldn’t believe that my daughter could have done that. Her hand swelled and her piano teacher was so mad at her.” Her mother told Yonghwa.

“Appa was so mad at me then.  He yelled at me over the phone for a whole hour. My recital was postponed because of my hand.” Joohyun said.

“Then your Appa called the boy’s father and had a restraining order put out. You remember Hyunnie?” Her mother turns to her.

“Deh, I remember.” Joohyun nods. “Zac got suspended for 3 weeks.”

“You didn’t get suspended?” Yonghwa asks her.

Before Joohyun could reply Max answered. “There were 2 girls who gave witness statements. They were there when Zac attacked her.”

“I must remember not to get on your bad side then you mig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter