HIS WIFE - THE WHITE FLAG

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ah- I’m sorry Oppa!” Joohyun bites her lower lip and looks worriedly at her boyfriend.

“That’s alright, try again.” Yonghwa said. He was a bit nauseous but he didn’t want her to notice that.

They were outside Seoul – the day after Yonghwa’s interview with her mother.  It was still relatively early in the morning when Yonghwa picked her up from her house.

They decided to spend the day honing up on Joohyun’s driving skills.  She got her US driver’s license when she was 16 but had never really regularly driven a car let alone a stick shift. Yonghwa wanted her Korean driver’s license to indicate that she could drive both stick shift and automatic.  Joohyun complied since it would mean more hours with him.

“Didn’t Ahjussi take you out for drives?” Yonghwa asks.

“But our cars are automatic.  This car is the only one I’ve driven that’s stick shift.” Joohyun said.

“Okay – now start the car again.” Yonghwa instructed.

Yonghwa was making her drive one of the security cars that his family had. It was a very basic Toyota similar to the Ford that he learned to drive while he was in the US. NowYonghwa knew how his Uncle felt when he was teaching Yonghwa how to drive. 

The thing was Joohyun sometimes forgot to step on the clutch when changing gears. She’d remember belatedly but it would sometimes cause the brakes to jam.  They’ve had 3 such incidents and Yonghwa was starting to get anxious.

“I’ll remember this time Oppa.” Joohyun starts the car again.

It went smoothly until they started to go downhill and Yonghwa had to tell her to shift gears because they were going too fast. She did change gears but not before almost hitting the railings.

“Don’t panic!” Yonghwa told her sharply.

“I’m not!” Joohyun frowns at him.

“You were.” He responds.

“I wasn’t – it’s just that I can feel your anxiety.” Joohyun glances at him again.

“Stop looking at me and look at the road. We’re going uphill this time.”  Yonghwa’s voice was sterner this time.

He had to close his eyes when he felt the engine choke again. “Change gears smoothly Joohyun.  Steady on the gas.”

They went on like this for another 40 minutes before Yonghwa told her to stop. He was definitely nauseous and he knew that she was getting tearful every time he corrected her.

“Let’s just take a breather.” He said as she pulls over to the side.

Yonguk pulls up behind them in Yonghwa’s Honda and the other guards were in the van.

“That’s enough for the stick shift today.” Yonghwa pulls her to him and gently rubs her back.

“We just need to practice more.  You’re confident when you drive the Honda. A bit nervous at the beginning but you’re okay afterwards.” Yonghwa soothed her.

“But I’ve never driven on busy streets Oppa.  Ahjussi always took me out to practice at night.” Joohyun sighed.

“Tomorrow we can practice with the Honda on the streets. How about that?” Yonghwa bends down to kiss her cheek.

“That sounds scary.” Joohyun closes her eyes.

When Yonghwa told her to drive the Honda until they reached the outskirts of Seoul Joohyun wanted to refuse. But she knew that he wanted her to learn faster.

When they pulled up to change places Yonghwa called Yonguk over and told him that he was driving the Toyota.

“Yeh?” Yonguk was surprised. “Samonim would have our heads Doryeonim. This car is old.”

“It’s only 6 years old. The car I practiced with was 10 years old!  My Samchon only bought a new car when I left for Korea. Give me the key.” Yonghwa holds his hand out and wiggles his fingers.

Yonghwa knew that it pained the head guard to let him drive the Toyota but he was going to make Joohyun watch as he drove – it was still lesson time.

“Very well Doryeonim.” Yonguk sighs.

“Let’s all have lunch then Joohyun and I will watch a movie with our friends then we’re having dinner. Watch whatever movie you want and eat dinner.” Yonghwa smiles at his guards before getting into the Toyota with Joohyun.    

“Oppa you’ll get them into trouble.” Joohyun said in a worried tone.

“I won’t. Now concentrate and look at me when I’m changing gears okay? It’s still lesson time Joohyun-ah.” Yonghwa said as he starts the car.

“Algesseumnida Doryeonim” Joohyun teases him. She was rewarded with a laugh and a kiss on her cheek.

It was lesson time – so Joohyun did as she was told.  She listened attentively and looked at how Yonghwa changed gears, sped up and slowed down.  He gave pointers on stopping and turning.

They had lunch at their favorite noddle shop.  The guards didn’t want to sit down with them but Joohyun insisted.

“Sweetheart, you’ll make them uncomfortable. Min Sun told me that she heard one of the guards say that he got indigestion the day we had lunch with them – remember with Ahjussi?” Yonghwa told her this in English while gently patting her arm.

“It’s okay Yonguk – you and the others can eat somewhere else.  Just come back in an hour okay?” Yonghwa told the head guard.

“Oh- I’m sorry Oppa.  I didn’t think they’d feel that way.” Joohyun said.

“That’s okay.  I hope you’ll get used to it.  Sometimes even if I want to have them eat with me I just can’t because they have a definite view of a class system.  I don’t agree with that but that’s just the way it is. If I had to eat lunch out alone then only Yonguk can sit down to eat with me.  Don’t worry it bothered my doonsaengs a lot before but now they just accept it.” Yonghwa told her as they sat down at the restaurant.

“It must have been hard for you huh Oppa” Joohyun holds his hand.

“Not really – I took all the privileges for granted until I went to America.  There my brother and I had to make our own beds and clean our room.  My aunt would make us do chores and help clean the dishes.  There was no house help. Only my Aunt and Uncle.  I mowed the lawn and even tried a newspaper route – but that had to stop because our   guard complained to my mother. Otherwise we were pretty normal.”

“You had a guard with you Oppa?”

“Yonguk’s father.  He stayed at the different house but he was already there with my brother then I went there and he was with me up until the day we flew back to Korea.  He only came home once when Yonguk graduated. He’d be there- talking with my Uncle and Aunt.  Seeing to it that we were safe at school.  Driving slowly as he watched us ride our bikes to the mall. When my brother got sick he divided his time between the both of us. He was like another Uncle to me – only he had a gun strapped to his side.”

“Where is he now Oppa?”

“When I came back he was transferred to Ga Young.  Despite of her being accident prone he takes care of her very well.  Last time I heard he asked my father if he could retire but Ga Young cried so much that he had to take back his request.” Yonghwa laughs softly.

“So they’re such a part of your lives? Like family.”

“Yes, our family treats all those who work for us as family especially those who live in our homes.”

After lunch they met their friends except for Jessica who went to US to visit her family.  The movie and the dinner was full of happy banter and jokes.

“Oppa- so tell us where you found your phone.”  Sooyoung asks.

“Inside one of the kitchen cabinets.” Jonghyun smirked.

“Why didn’t you just change phones?”  Hyoyeon asks.

Joohyun covers her face with her hands. “Don’t tell them Oppa please.”

 “Because his phone has all her saved voice messages that he listens to.” Jungshin rolls his eyes and pretends to gag.

“Ah- I knew it would be something as cheesy as that!” Taeyeon laughs.

“Jungshin-nee how did you know?” Joohyun exclaims.

“Please – he listens to the saved messages almost every day when we’re at Suwon. “ Minhyuk smirks.  “He’s hopeless.”  

“Yes, I’m hopeless.” Yonghwa laughs as he pulls Joohyun closer to him.

“Ah – Yoona and Jonghyun don’t be as cheesy as them okay?” Yuri tells the other couple.

“We’re not!”

“By that much.” Yonghwa holds up his little finger.

Their day ends with Yonghwa driving his girlfriend home and both promising to meet the next day for another driving lesson.

 As soon as her Omma left the next day Joohyun got ready to see Yonghwa.  She was also sleeping at Yoona’s house.  Her Omma gave her permission to stay until their school vacation ended.

She was already outside the gate when Yonghwa came. 

“Are you nervous?” Yonghwa asks as he puts her small suitcase in the Honda’s trunk.

“A little Oppa.” Joohyun smiles.

Their neighborhood was a quiet one so she had no trouble driving but she started to get nervous when they were heading for Gangnam.

“Don’t hold the steering wheel tightly. Relax.” Yonghwa pats her leg.

She just nods knowing that if she glances at him she’ll be even more nervous.

Traffic was light so she was able to drive with Yonghwa just giving her instructions on where to turn.  When they arrived at parking lot Joohyun groaned.

“Can we just have the parking lesson some other day Oppa?” she turns to him.

“No. That’s part of driving.” Yonghwa said firmly. He knew that Joohyun had a hard time parking.

They started with her parking next to another car then parking between two cars – with Yonghwa outside and pointing to where he wanted her to park.

“Now park while backing up.” Yonghwa instructed. “Remember to check your mirrors.”

It was difficult for her but after a few tries she made it. It wasn’t always straight but he was patient enough with her.

“Great – now let’s parallel park.” Yonghwa said as he got into the car.  “Don’t roll your eyes.”

They were almost quarreling because she couldn’t park the car correctly.

“Oppa!” she scowls at him when he corrects her yet again.

“You over correct yourself now the car is tilted.  Go forward again.” Yonghwa exclaims.

“NO – I don’t want to.” Joohyun lapses into English. She gets out of the car and slams the door.

“Joohyun – you can’t just leave the car like that. Another car may hit it!” Yonghwa marches up to her and scowls right back.

“Then I won’t park here!”

The few passersby look at them and smile.  They were glaring at each other. Lovers' quarrel.

“Agassi, Doryeonim” Yonguk approaches them.  “Maybe we can do it again another day. It’s almost lunchtime.”

“Very well. Come, watch me park.” Yonghwa holds her wrist.

“No thank you.  I will just wait here with Yonguk.” Her eyes flash as she pulls her wrist from his grasp.

Yonghwa just looks at her and gets in the car.

“Agassi – he really only wants you to learn how to drive safely and defensively.”Yonguk tells her as they watch Yonghwa expertly park the car.

“I know,” she replies in a small voice. “There are lot of bad drivers here and he only wants me to be safe but I’m just-“

“You’ll get better don’t worry.” The head guard tells her as they watch Yonghwa approach them.

He holds out his hand silently and she takes it.

“We’ll just take a walk Yonguk.” He tells the head guard.

They walk hand in hand silently until they reach a small park between 2 buildings. Yonghwa leads her to an empty bench and they sit down.

“So are we finished quarreling?” He asks in soft voice, his hand lightly squeezing hers.

 “Mian Oppa – I was wrong.” Joohyun leans her head on his shoulder.

He doesn’t answer but just kisses the top of her head.

“Let’s just do it another day.” Joohyun sighs.  “Having time with you is too precious for us to quarrel.”

“Ah- I wasn’t the one with a murderous look on my face.” His eyes twinkled.

“Oppa! I’m trying to make up with you.” Joohyun knew she was being teased but she couldn’t stop herself from reacting.  Her nostrils flared and she cheeks turn pink.

“Arasso – arasso! Oppa was only teasing you. Let’s go eat.  How does Italian food sound to you?” Yonghwa leans in to kiss her cheek.

“It sounds delicious.” Joohyun smiles.

They go back to the car and head for one of the restaurants in Itaewon. 

They were just starting lunch when his phone rings.

“Ah – I was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter