His Wife – STICKIER SOLUTIONS (Part 1)

His Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YONGHWA

He was finally going to see her after 2 weeks. Joohyun had begged him to stay away until her parents had calmed down enough. She could no longer go by public transportation to school and had to be accompanied by their driver Dong Il everywhere. She also took the precaution to changing his mobile number ID to Hwa Young just in case her mother ever took her phone. He could tell just how tired and frustrated she was. He longed to comfort her but he learned that Joohyun could be stubborn in her own way.

Not wanting to be noticed by her driver, Yonghwa borrowed Jonghyun’s car that Friday afternoon and proceeded to SKKU Seoul’s main library. She told him that he should go inside and wait for her.  He was there an hour early.

Joohyun please don’t give up on us!

All kinds of scenarios presented themselves inside his head. He formed his arguments and prepared for the worst. Yonghwa was not going to let her go.

When he saw her enter the library his heart beat like a tattoo on his chest. She had grown thinner. As she hurried towards him it took all of his will power not to run and embrace her. Public displays of affection where seen as strange and often times inappropriate in Korea. He stood up and though he could hear his heart hammering, he fixed a soft welcoming smile on his face.

But he hadn’t counted on her American upbringing. As she got closer he saw tears streaming from her eyes and how constricted to hold back her sobs. She threw herself at him and buried her face on his chest.  He could feel her body trembling.

Please don’t let this be tears of goodbye. I can’t take it.

A few curious heads had turned to look at them so Yonghwa let her go and pulling out two chairs seated themselves next to each other. Taking out his handkerchief, he wiped her tears and nose while softly patting her on the back.

“I can see you haven’t been well.” He said softly. “Try to calm down and talk to me. I missed you so much.”

He felt her effort to gather herself as she took large gulps of air. He took her cold tightly clasped hands in his and blew on them.

“Oppa!” She finally whispered and turned her head to face him. She had bruises under her eyes and her lips were paler. Yonghwa felt his heart constrict with pain.

Please don’t break up with me Joohyun!

“Please don’t break up with me Oppa!” she whispered. “I couldn’t’ take it if you did! Don’t give up on us – be patient. I will find a solution to this problem. Just don’t let me lose you.”

He felt waves of relief washing over him. He took her hands and kissed them.

“No, it never crossed my mind to break up with you. What crossed my mind was you breaking up with me. But I wasn’t giving up without a fight. You’re worth everything to me Joohyun.” He said as he tucked her hair behind her ear and quickly kissed her forehead.

“No more crying.” He pleaded with her when he saw her eyes well with tears. “It hurts my heart to see you cry. I thought we were going to fight this together.”

Taking a shuddering breath and nodding her head. “You’re right Oppa. I won’t cry anymore – my parents hurt me so much with their decision. We need to come up with a solution to this “fake” engagement.”

“Does he seem nice?” Yonghwa just had to ask.

God! I love tortuing myself!

“Who? Kyuhyun? I guess so - he seemed a pretty decent guy. He told me that he wanted to court me properly but he was just surprised as I was when the parents jumped at the idea and took it a step further.  I barely talk to my mother and there is a wall of silence between my father and myself.” Joohyun scowled. “Oppa please let’s not talk about him.”

Yonghwa nodded in understanding.  They each took out their textbooks so that it would seem that they were studying. They planned to stay until the library closed at 9 pm.

As an interim solution – they would meet every Friday at the library. At the moment that was all they could think of.  Joohyun wasn’t allowed to leave the house during weekends and as the Holiday Season was coming both of them would be busy attending social events with their parents.

“How about checking your parents’ social calendar? Maybe I could be there and just watch you from afar? Or I could see you in the park near your house when they’re gone?”

“Oppa, that is so like Romeo and Juliet!” Joohyun rolled her eyes in disgust.

Yonghwa just had to laugh at her facial expression. Several heads again turned and frowned at them.  Yonghwa silently mouthed his apologies while Joohyun hid her face behind her textbook.

They talked and held hands catching up with each other until the librarian announced that the library was closing.

“You go out first. I will follow you in my car.” Yonghwa kissed her forehead and helped her gather her things.  They didn’t really get any reading done.

“Oppa I will call you when I’m in my room.” Joohyun said.

Hands clasped tight they walked to the library doors and Yonghwa felt sad when she let go and mouthed a silent good bye to him.  He counted until 20 before he stepped out.

Her car’s still here!

He saw Joohyun get out of the car and run to him.  The night was very cold and her coat was open. He ran quickly to meet her concerned that she would catch a cold.

 

JOOHYUN

She saw him walk out of the library door and hurriedly stepped out of the car.

“What happened? Why are you still here?” Yonghwa pulled her closer and quickly buttoned her coat.

“Oppa! I want you to meet someone!” She pulled him towards her car. Her driver stepped out.

“Ahjussi! I want you to meet my boyfriend Yonghwa” Joohyun stood between the two men.

Dong Il was a stocky man with salt and pepper hair and an unsmiling face.  He had sharp eyes and he was slightly shorter than Yonghwa.

“So you’re the boy who keeps making my Agasshi cry?” He looked at Yonghwa as if size up the younger man.

“Ahjussi! I just missed him that’s all.” Joohyun replied as she held Yonghwa’s hand tightly. “You asked me to let you meet him. So I am putting all my trust in you Ahjussi and keeping my promise to you that you will meet him.  Now keep your promise that you will not tell my mother.”

The older man looked at Yonghwa for what felt like a long time. Joohyun nervously bit her lower lip.  She was taking an awfully big chance in trusting her driver.

Was I wrong in trusting Ahjussi?

“So young man, are you serious with my Agasshi?”

Yonghwa seemed to have lost his voice and just nodded at the older man. He pulled Joohyun closer.

“I will hold you to that.  If you don’t make this situation right I will personally deliver you to her father after I beat you up.”

“Ahjussi! Please!” Joohyun pleaded.

“I can’t stand you listening to his voice messages then crying silently in the car for the last 2 weeks. Agasshi, I have been with your mother’s family since before you were born.  My loyalty should be with her but you would have been my daughter’s age had she lived so I am staking my livelihood on you and your young man. Find a solution to your engagement.  I will try to help you but don’t get into trouble.”

His last sentence was directed to Yonghwa.

“Thank you for helping us Ahjussi” Yonghwa said as he extended his hand to the older man.

Dong Il wordlessly took h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter