Damsel in Distress

Suit Romance

39

“Baekhyun, have you contacted the police and fire-"

“Tao stop asking! I've already told you for the hundredth time yes they are on the way, don't be so nervous," he said and Tao sighed. "How am I supposed to stay calm when Kris and Sohyun are out there.."

They could only hope for Kris to reach there in time.

 

Kris kicked the door open and quickly covered his mouth with his sleeve, coughing, trying to look for Sohyun through the thick smoke.

“Sohyun!” he shouted and kicked everything he saw. From a distance, he could see her coughing and he smiled. “Sohyun!” he exclaimed, and quickly untied the knot. Her eyes widen in surprise as she bit her lip. “Kris, why are you here?” she murmured as she coughed. Kris was only focusing on untying the knot and didn’t really bother to reply. “Keep quiet.”

Sohyun softened and looked down. “Kris, you shouldn’t come. We’re going to die together.”

“No we’re not. So keep quiet,” he said and frowned. “Kris. You shouldn’t sacrifice so much for me. I don’t deserve it,” she whispered, loud enough for him to hear.

As Kris was about to reply, the wooden shed fell just inches away from them, and Kris covered his face with his jacket as he coughed. He looked up and frowned once more. Then, he used all of his might to break the knot apart and freed her legs as he took off his jacket and covered Sohyun. He immediately lifted Sohyun from the chair, slipping his hand under her thigh and his other hand supporting her back as he looked at the door and immediately ran out.

He ran out as fast as he could, and leaped forward, before the hut burst into flames, thick black smoke billowing from the top and the hut collapses.

He fell on top of Sohyun as she winced in pain, her hands still tied together. He immediately scrambled up and looked behind him. They were lucky enough to escape before buried in the hut.

He then heaved a sigh of relief and turned his attention towards Sohyun. He immediately helped her up, looking at her, and smiled.

Sohyun coughed and looked at him while he rubbed his thumb on her cheek, clearing the soot off her face and he softened. She smiled and hugged him tightly, breathing in heavily as she coughed between breaths. 

"Sohyun, I thought I would never see you again," he whispered and hugged her and she closed her eyes. "I thought I would never see you again too," she replied. "What matters most is that you're fine."

Just then, Sohyun's eyes widened at Kris' back. "Kris, your back.."

He touched his back, then winced but quickly put up a smile. "It's just a scratch."

"What? Your back is bleeding! How can it be just a small scratch, we better go to the hospital," she quickly said, panicking and Kris held her down. "The ambulance is on the way, don't panic," he whispered.

---

 

Sohyun sighed and smiled, nodding her head as BT and her sister continued nagging. “Sohyun! What happened? Why are you admitted into the hospital? When Tao told me what happened to you we were freaking out! Did you go for a CT scan?” BT said anxiously, examining Sohyun as he lifted both of her arms then dropped it.

“I’m-“

“Did you go for a X-Ray? I can help to arrange for one, this place is flexible,” her sister interrupted.

“I-“

“I think better be safe than sorry. Arrange for her a CT scan for her brain then an X-ray,” BT interrupted.

Just when Sohyun’s sister was about to reply, Sohyun immediately shouted, “Stop!” She took in a deep breath and sighed, smiling. “You’re making me dizzy.”

She cleared and sat up straight. “I’m fine unnie. I don’t need to go for another CT scan, and I definitely don’t need to go for another x-ray. Unless you want me to be dead because of radioactive exposure,” she joked while the both of them frowned. “Touchwood!”

“Sorry,” she replied and looked at her bandaged hand. “Just a scratch BT, I’m fine.”

She then spoke up again. “I’m just wondering.. How Kris is,” she said, looking up at the both of them and they exchanged looks. Her sister then bit her lip and sighed sadly, shaking her head.  “Well, the doctor said that they actually found a glass fragment that pierced the back of his head, and now he’s in coma. The chances of him waking up is very slim, and even if he wakes up, he may be a vegetable..” her voice trailed off and Sohyun’s eyes widened in shock.

“Plus, his leg was numb and the doctor had to amputate because there were some fragments that pierced his leg, and the blood stopped circulating,” BT spoke up.

“What?!” Sohyun shrieked. “But.. But he was still alright when we came out of the hut!” she shouted and frowned then quickly got off the bed. “I need to see him right now.”

BT and her sister stifled a laugh as they quickly stopped her. “Sohyun, we’re just kidding. You don’t need to be so scared.”

“What?!” Sohyun shrieked once more as she blinked in surprise. “So-“

“So Kris is fine. Just that he was slightly injured because of the impact of the explosion. His back is hurt, that’s all. He’s resting in the other ward,” BT explained as he led Sohyun to the bed.

She then heaved a sigh of relief and smiled to herself.

“You know, you seem quite concern of him,” her sister pointed out as she tapped her chin. BT nodded immediately and pulled a chair, sitting on it. “Back in the days, when a male saves a female, the female had to marry herself to him to repay,” BT added.

Sohyun gawked at them and her face reddened. "I-"

“Alright alright. We won’t tease you anymore. So do you want to meet Kris?” her sister asked and she shook her head. “Maybe later. I don’t wish to disturb him when he’s resting.”

She tucked herself in, as she rested on the pillow and settled herself comfortably on the bed, facing the other way and she closed her eyes, smiling to herself.

 

 

When she opened her eyes, it was already dark. BT and her sister had gone home and the room was quiet. The only light that was shining was coming out of the window. She slowly got off the bed, wincing when she placed her weight on her injured hand, then shrugged it off. She took the lift to the ground floor and walked aimlessly around the building.

She then slowly walked towards the garden, where the gust of wind blew her hair to one side, sending chills to her skin.

Then she sat down on the bench, admiring the flowers that was around her and took in a deep breath. Peace and tranquillity. That was what she needed.

She wanted to stay here, it seems better than cooping up in the ward when she can’t do a single thing, there was a time to relax and now this was the perfect place, even though she had to be injured to be here.

 

Kris walked around. Hospital’s cafeteria, closed. Visiting hours, over. He can’t possibly go knocking on Sohyun’s ward at 12am to talk to her, right?

He felt bored. Extremely bored. He massaged his neck and he winced in pain, biting his lip. His back still hurt, but he didn’t care. He ignored it.

He roamed around the area and somehow landed in the garden. His eyes landed on a familiar person. The back was facing him and he tilted his head, squinting his eyes. As she turned her head to her side, he smiled.

“Sohyun,” a voice called out and she turned her head. She smiled. “Kris.”

“What are you doing here?” he asked, sitting beside her as they looked up at the stars. “Nothing. Just bored. How’s your back?”

He nodded his head. “What about your hand?” She nodded her head. “Fine.”

There was a long silence, before Sohyun spoke up. “Why did you save me?” He turned his head to look at Sohyun, who didn’t look back, and instead she continued looking at the stars. He smiled. “I had to.”

“Is it worth getting hurt because of me?”

"Yes, for the person that means to me, it's worth it."

A smile slowly formed on Sohyun's face and she sighed. "When I was caught, in a hut alone, I felt so terrified and scared. Scared not because I will die, but scared because I didn't spend enough time with the ones I love, and just leave with regrets. At that point of time I didn't know whether I will get out of that place alive, but I told myself if I really got out of that place, I will cherish the time spent with the people I want to be with. I don't know when will I be gone, but as long as I didn't fail to spend the time remaining with the people around me, I will at least leave with a smile." She smiled and stood up from her seat.

He nodded his head. “Definitely.”

“They say that when one person was at the brink of her death, they would think of the ones that made their life special, and holds a deep impression of them. Surprisingly, the person who was on my mind when I was captured, wasn’t BT, wasn’t unnie, neither was it Tao nor Baekhyun. But you,” she said softly turning her head to face him.

She smiled. “When unnie and BT lied to me that you saved me and almost died, my heart dropped, and I actually realized that we had been through, how you saved me, how you guide me, how you helped me to the extends of not just mentor and protégé, I can feel it, Kris. And this incident made me realize, I need you. I think I’m ready, for a new relationship.”

Kris cracked a smile. He stood up from his seat and walked towards her. He slowly leaned forward, and kissed her lips. He let his hands slowly travel to her hip and her neck, pulling her closer to his body.

Sohyun smiled in the kiss and placed her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.

He loved the feeling. At least Sohyun was ready now for her kiss, totally ready.

Kris smiled and broke the kiss. Curling a strand of hair behind her ear, he carrassed her cheek and smiled. "I'll never let go of your hand, and I will always be at your side, alright?" he whispered and Sohyun smiled, nodding.

-----