Their Relationship

Suit Romance
15

"Sohyun, check the past cases of abetting suicide, while I check the abuse cases for the past years," Tao instructed and began, while Sohyun didn't understand why. "But Tao, why do we need to check the cases about abetting suicide?"

"Well, sometimes this abuse cases or threaten cases can lead to death. Even though they didn't directly harm the victims death, they were absolutely liable for the deaths, and can be charged with manslaughter. Well if we have some abetting suicide cases as reference, we can predict the consequence if my uncle continues to abuse Hyomin and not get sent to jail," Tao explained, while Sohyun fully understood what he had mentioned. 

“No wonder Kris told me to learn from you, you really think out of the box,” she said while Tao bit his lip shyly and waved it away. “Lawyers just have to be like this.”

Kris peeked from the gap, and he nodded his head. A faint smile appeared on his face, as he walked down the stairs. 
He stayed in the living room, time to time glancing at the clock, and once it struck midnight, he rushed up the stairs and into the room.

"Ah yes, it's good that you're here, Kris. We're almost done. Can you cook some noodles for us? Thanks," Tao said, his eyes glued to the screen, then moving his chair to the printer, waiting for the papers to be printed out and he stapled them together.

Kris sighed and nodded. At least he would be of some help.

Sohyun yawned and she shook her head and patted her cheeks, then continued searching. "Tao I'm almost done," Sohyun said and yawned, while Tao nodded his head. "If you're tired, you can take a nap first. I'm almost done too."

Sohyun nodded then rested the side of her head on the table, slowly drifting off to sleep.

Tao looked at her, and giggled. "Since she's sleeping, I should sleep too," he mumbled, and closed his eyes. When Kris went into the room again, he found Tao and Sohyun asleep, on the table. 

He placed the bowls down on the table, then looked at the computer that was still on. 

He wanted to whack Sohyun's head and ordered her to finish up her work before finishing but then on second thought, he shouldn't be so mean towards his protege.

After all, Kris could see that she's almost done with her work.

He pursed his lips and sighed, then gently lifted Sohyun up and went down to the guest room.

On the way, Sohyun snuggled closely to his chest and giggled, cracking a smile. "Cozy," she whispered and rested her head on his chest, while he cracked a smile and scoffed. "What am I? A pillow?"

As quiet as he could be, and he placed her on the bed, then covered her with the blanket. Sohyun softly snored as she scratched her nose unconsciously and turned her back on Kris and he immediately frowned, shaking his head. "What a sleeper," he muttered and went up to the study room again.

He soon finished up the job for Sohyun, then walked towards Tao and whacked his head, waking him up. "Yah. Wake up."
Tao groaned and rubbed his head, frowning at Kris while Kris pushed the bowl to Tao. "Eat and continue."

"Thanks," he grumbled. "Where's Sohyun?" Tao asked, while Kris took the bowl that was meant for Sohyun and sat in her seat. "Guest room."

He continued the work for her as he printed out the documents, then passing it to Tao. Once he finished the work, he had also finished his noodles. "I'll get going since the technician isn't here," Kris said and walked out, while Tao stuck out his tongue at him. "Tsk.  How evil can you get," he muttered under his breath while Kris raised an eyebrow at him. "Excuse me. I'm helping out, you ingrate."

"Helping out because of Sohyun I say," he snapped. No wonder Sohyun said you're biased."

Kris froze at the spot, and he immediately went in again. "What did Sohyun say?"

"She said you were biased against her. But I don't understand, because your actions show that you are actually biased towards her, and not against her," Tao muttered and continued his noodles and work. "Hey I won't send you out, bye." 

Kris whacked his head again and left.

How many things did Sohyun actually say about him to Tao? Kris thought, and quickly shook it off his head. 
He didn't want to know. 
Tao closed his file and sighed, smiling softly at himself as he looked at the document. Mission accomplished.

He quickly went to his bedroom and tucked himself in. He was prepared for tomorrow's battle, as ready as he could be.




"Sohyun, got all of the materials ready?" Tao asked, as he looked through the files. She nodded and smiled. "Actually you were the one who got all the materials ready."

"I just wish to help Hyomin defeat that jerk. And that would piss Minah off, again," Tao laughed evilly, thinking of the image having Minah to be pissed off and he grinned, the thought of having Minah to lose this case just made Tao feel so confident, and glad.

Sohyun laughed. "It seems like Minah keeps losing cases." Tao looked at her and shook his head, wagging a finger at Sohyun. "Now you newbie really don't know anything. Three years ago, Minah actually helped a murderer got away. People thought the murderer could get away. Evidence, witness, murder weapon and motive were all there, but just because of one small loophole, she won the case. And that case was actually between Minah and YongShik. That time Kris was there too, because he was the protege of YongShik."

Sohyun's eyes widened in surprise, and when she was about to ask, Minah came in. "Speak of the devil," Tao whispered. 

Once court started, Tao stood up from his seat and spoke. "I would like the summon three cases as reference," Tao said, as he glanced at Sohyun to take the files and she nodded.

"First case. Thailand. The daughter was put out of care under a woman. The woman took a knife from the kitchen, and threatened the girl to jump down when the girl wouldn't listen to her. The girl wouldn't, and the woman slashed her on her hands multiples of times. But that, did not kill the girl. The woman continued abusing the girl numerous of times, and once, even used a metal rod to hit. There was once she was being cornered by the woman, and she could not take it, she jumped down the building and died. The court then charged her of manslaughter," Tao read aloud from the file, and glanced at his uncle, and he saw the fear in his eyes.

He continued. "After all those abuses the deceased endured by the woman, the court truly believed that the deceased would believe how merciless and how brutal the woman could harm against her, and even risked her off jumping down even know she knew she would die. Even though the woman didn't directly caused her death, she was absolutely liable for her death," Tao finished and glanced at Minah, and he found it weird.
He didn’t see any expressions on her face, and he couldn’t read what was going on in her mind, but he just shook that thought off and continued.
"Second case, Malaysia. In 1983, there was a case where slaves were being ill treated. Not giving food, no water, kept in such a cramp area and had to work for 18 hours. Under such circumstances, it can also be considered as abuse. When the authorities knew, the mastermind was sent to jail. The court believed that if they continue to be under such torture, under a long term basis, it would drive them to their deaths. There was also concrete evidence that the mastermind knew what he was doing was illegal, but he still continued as the keeping of slaves and ill treating of slaves was banned."

Tao closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. "Third case, Korea. The husband was found abusing his wife, because his wife failed to meet his dowry demands. Although the victim earned wages that helped the husband pay household expenses, the defendant continued to demand that she obtain more money from her parents’ home. He demanded more money, which she requested from her mother and when the defendant didn’t receive immediately payment, he continued to abuse her. Defendant was then sent to jail.”

"In all three cases, all were sent to jail even though they didn't directly caused the death or didn't harm to their deaths, they were still sent to jail instead of a suspended sentence because the court looked at the long term effect. What if this continues to happen on the victim? What will happen to the victim? Will they die like the first case? The court thought about these points, because the harm were caused by their actions and conducts such as threatening and abusing the victims. This case is the same. If the defendant is let off scot free, he will continue to harm, abuse and even threaten my client that could lead her to her death, having an innocent person to lose her everything. My client had endured those sufferings at such a young age. She continued to stay with the defendant not because she endured as resigned, but she wanted to change him to the better, but it seems like the defendant has shown no remorse in what he has done, leading my client to only charge him, hoping it would be the best way to solve this issue."

Tao sighed and placed his hand on the table, the grip on the pen in his hand slowly tightened. "The law says that all charges must be proven beyond reasonable doubts, before the suspect can be charge. And as for this case, do you really think the defendant would repent when let out? Who actually knows what he was doing in the house towards my client? Who can guarantee that he would mend his ways once he's out?" Tao asked, raising his eyebrows.

Minah quickly stood up and glanced at Tao. "Ob-"

"Your Honour I have no more questions," Tao said and grinned, then sat in his seat.

Soayun grinned and gave a thumbs up to Tao, while he just grinned widely as both of the them glanced at Minah who just angrily sat back down in her seat, her cheeks burning red from embarassment.



"I knew you could do it Tao, thank you.." Hyomin smiled and she glanced at Tao's direction. Even though she couldn't see his face, she knew he was grinning, and she knew she had already won. Away from all those abuses. She was finally free.

"My pleasure," Tao said as he bowed and Sohyun laughed, shaking her head. "Stop joking, Tao," she whispered, nudging him while he shrugged. "It's a habit."

"Well done, Tao," Kris said sarcastically as he clapped his hands and Tao rolled his eyes. "Shut up," he snapped and chuckled. "Yeah yeah, you want me to thank you for helping out of the case, right? Over your dead body, I'm not," Tao scoffed and Sohyun blinked in surprise. 

"Kris, so you're the one who finished up the job for Tao, right?" she asked and Kris slowly nodded his head.

Sohyun slowly smiled and she knocked her forehead. "I thought I was dreaming when I saw those complete documents, so you're the one behind it. Thanks, Kris," she said sincerely and he bit his lip, smiling. "You're, welcome."

There was a moment of silence before Tao spoke up and he rubbed his shoulders, shuddering. "I don't know why but your relationship seems awkward and weird. I don't understand how Sohyun can have such a cold blooded mentor like a dangerous snake and how a snake is able to attract such an innocent bunny," he sighed and pushed Sohyun towards Kris' chest. "And here we have, a bunny entering a lion's den."

Kris scoffed and rolled his eyes. "So what am I actually? A snake, or a lion?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at Tao while he held onto Sohyun's shoulders firmly when Tao pushed Sohyun.

Sohyun looked at the both of them and she cracked a smile. "A dragon, alright? Let's go," she said and silently laughed.

-----