Step Up

Meant To Be

“! You should be thankful that I have the heart to give you a place to stay. I even feed you daily. Now the best thing you should do to pay me back is simply by doing what I say!” even his voice was sinister enough for anyone to figure out that he indeed has something terrible under his sleeves.

Her body was sore due to the intense pain that she got from the slashing, beatings and several other acts that he often gave her whenever he was drunk or when he was in a bad mood. She knew the moment her mother passed away and she got stuck with him, that disgusting man was going to make her life into a living hell.

And she was right.

The night of her mother’s funeral, was the night that all hell let loose. The beast was only pretending to be the great step-father one could ever ask for. He was just a wolf in sheep’s skin. Because she was too trusting of him, she did not questioned why he offered to sleep with her together in her bed. She thought he was doing that to comfort her. After all, she just lost her mother.

Everything that happened afterwards was the start when her life turned upside down. Her ity was taken away forcefully at such a young age, she was forced to drop out of school, being beaten and slapped daily. Bruises and cuts were part of her everyday life.

She was only 14 then.

It was not until she was 16 that she decided that she can’t take it all anymore. That devil was sleeping due to a lot of alcohol intake and that was when she chose to do the deed. A kitchen knife to his chest was the one that set the curtain down for that chapter of her life.

She spent most of teenage days running from one foster home to another whenever any couple wanted to adopt her. Fosters home were her own sanctuary but not a place where she can call home. Orphanages just serve as the place where she can get proper shelter and enough food to keep herself alive. Thus once she became legal, her pretty face was the only thing that she could count on.

She knew, in order to survive in this harsh world… one need to do things that they despised. No matter how hard or how disgusting that is. So she sold herself. But once an agent scouted her on the streets, saying that they can hire her as a model, she thought… it is finally time for her to begin anew.

Then her career takes off and then she met Lu Han. And she finally thought things are finally going into her favour. Then again, she got swallowed by greed then. Thinking that she had then was not enough, she went back to her old job on the side of her modelling job. Lu Han never knew that she had been two-timing him. He doesn’t have to. Lu Han was the only one she held onto. He was the one that could promise her a better life, a better future.

Then Park Chorong comes into the picture. The lady came from a good family, she got great educational background, she was sweet. And kind. And she was nothing but a threat to her supposed to be happy life.


 

Sooyeon’s wailing for her to be fed immediately was the one that snapped Jooyi out of her trance. She eyed her daughter passionately as she picked her up from the uncomfortable bed that the two had to put up with for the last 2 straight days. A part of her maternal side cried at the sight.

“I brought you too much pain my dear. I promise you when this is over, you will never go through hardship ever again.” Sooyeon’s crying apparently came to wear down as she was patted affectionately by her mother yet she was still sobbing. As Jooyi nudged her forehead to meet her daughter’s forehead, she knew there was something wrong with the little one.


 

“We finally found the one that captured the full footage!” Tao announced with much triumph. And instantly all heads that was in the café turned to him “Well, actually they found it.”

“Next time Huang Zitao, don’t let people misunderstand will you?” said Bomi with much annoyance. Yamada Ryusuke soon walked towards the group of people with a laptop in hand.

“ Me and the rest of my team already took a look at it first before you guys do. And rest assure that my team is doing everything that they can to help with the investigation.” the rest nodded as the device was placed in front of them and once the video was put on to play, Lu Han, Jung Eunji, Yoon Bomi, Son Naeun and Huang Zitao could not hide their surprise at the sight of the one who attacked Chorong.

The rest could not really comprehend but they decided not to pry and ask for the reason of why all eyes were on Lu Han as the young male’s vision was focused onto the screen that was showing a face that has been all too familiar to them all especially to Lu Han.

Some part of him just refused to believe that. Even if the evidence is shown right in front of him it is truly hard for him to digest it through and through. The lady that he had met a few years ago and in fact was in a relationship with did not hit him as someone who could possibly do something like this.

“I think it is safe to assume based on the expression on your face, you know this woman?”

Lu Han nodded as the words came out rather unpleasant from his mouth. “Jooyi. Lee Jooyi.” everything that was just spilled to him in spur of the moment just caught him off guard leaving him unable to recollect himself.

Thus the ones who had to provide the answers to Ryusuke’s questions were none other than the other four people who knew about it all. After a while spent on the explaining things, the Japanese male nodded and so did the rest of the girls that sat there listening to every word.

“We are doing our best to locate their exact location as for now. All that we ask is that your cooperation and patience.” Ryusuke nodded to Nanase before he left with Tao alongside him.

It was a few moments of silence then before Nanase who apparently could not take any more of Lu Han moping around and looking lifeless. “So that’s it then? You are going to sit there is despair?”

“Naa-chan…” Shiraishi Mai who sat next to her tried to stop the young Nishino but Nanase would not have any of that. She just needs to get things of her chest and once she made up her mind, there is no stopping her and the rest of the girls knew that very well.

“A few months ago, your wife came knocking to my front door in the middle of the night seeking for comfort and where we you for the past months? Nowhere near! If you really love her, you should never have let her go far. And even if the fact that she came here without telling anyone, you should do your best to find her and talk to her. But did you do any of that? No. No you did not. You just kept pitying yourself and moping around, hoping that one day things would finally work in your favour and everything would get back in place. Let me give you a news flash pal, that’s never going to happen. You need to make an effort for it if you really want it! Not sitting around and begging for other people’s sympathy to help you get back up! You wife is in danger and you need to step up before it is too late. Because if you still not budging on your moping session, if Chorong gets back to us in one piece, you will never get back with her ever. I will see to it.” as soon she was finished, she left with Rina and Maiyan trailing after her.

It took quite a while for Eunji, Bomi and Naeun to translate it all but once they did, Lu Han was stunned. She was right. It was all true. Everything that she have said makes sense and there is no way that Lu Han could deny it.

“You better step up Lu Han-san. Naa-chan was right. And believe me if you don’t, you’ll be facing quite a number of formidable opponents.” MaiMai said it all calmly before she too took off her heels heading to the direction Naa-chan, Maiyan and Rina went towards and Kazumin and Nanamin also followed.

“Are you alright Oppa?”

“There is no need for you to ask on how I am doing. The only thing we should be worried right now is Chorong. And as Miss Nishino said just now, I need to step up. ” finally regaining his stance, Lu Han took out his cell phone before dialling for the number that he very well knows that the person will be much of a help to this investigation.

It took a few rings before the person finally picked up. “It’s me. I think it is time for you to repay the favour you owe me.”

 


A/N : Now, the reason why I wrote about Jooyi's background story is because I think that it is appropriate and not only to remind you guys but also to remind myself that not every bad people are born evil. It was all due to the choices that they made and the life that they led. I do think this is important somehow. And also, don't hate Naa-chan so much for scolding Lu Han. The man deserves it. He was being way too useless for my preference.