Chapter 54

Danger

Dara’s Point Of View:

I nearly choked on the piece of bread I had just began chewing the moment Ji-Yong opened his mouth and said what he had to Si Hyun.

Dong-Won and Eun-Seo immediately stopped eating, their eyes wide in complete shock, both taken back completely by Ji-Yong’s sudden boldness.

“W-What are you talking about?” Si Hyun stuttered, clearing his throat soon after to cover up the fact that he was nervous.

Ji-Yong’s smirk grew. “Oh you know exactly what I’m talking about.” He emphasized sarcastically causing the air around us all to thicken immensely.

Si Hyun laughed humorlessly, trying to pass off as though he was not affected at all by all this but we all knew he was.

“I was showing Dara the house and we happened to walk by your room. I thought I’d show her it, you know, to be nice,” Ji-Yong grinned. “And we came upon a very… interesting magazine. At first I thought it was some comic book or something until I saw a very revealing picture of a girl posing with veryinappropriate attire on the cover.” He made sure to accentuate the Key Word, wanting to embarrass Si Hyun.

“Shut up,” Si Hyun hissed, his cheeks growing a fiery red. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Ji-Yong…” I mumbled, feeling bad for Si Hyun. Even though he teased us, the kid still didn’t need to be outshined like this in front of his family.

Ji-Yong, of course, chose to ignore me, his eyes growing dark with mischief. “But, I do and it must for you but hey, that’s karma for you.” He smirked, his eyes traveling from Si Hyun to me. “Dara even saw it. Didn’t you babe?” He cocked a brow.

I scowled, narrowing my eyes at him. Kicking my leg outwards, I hit him in the leg causing him to wince and hiss in pain.

“, Dara!” He growled. “What was that for?”

“That’s for being an .” I lowly spat.

“Why don’t you hit him when he says something wrong?!” Si Hyun cried incredulously towards Eun-Seo referring to Ji-Yong’s use of cursive words.

“Because unlike you, your brother doesn’t go around reading inappropriate and very disturbing magazines!” Eun-Seo shot back, still in awe at the new found information she had found out.

“Oh, please!” Si Hyun threw his arms in the air. “He’s the one I got the magazine from! I found it in his room, you know.”

Ji-Yong laughed, shaking his head. “Bull and you know it.” He crossed his arms against his chest. “Unlike you buddy, I can actually get girls instead of fantasizing and to the imagination of one touching me.” He smirked.

My mouth fell open at Ji-Yong’s chose of words, not believing he was actually saying all this at the dinner table of all places. Before Eun-Seo had the chance to smack him in the back of the head, I kicked once more, this time in the shin.

“Jesus Christ, Dara !” Ji-Yong groaned, leaning his arm down under the dinner table as he rubbed the spot I kicked him.

“Ha-ha!” Si Hyun laughed and I cocked a brow up, turning around and smacking him in the back of the head causing Ji-Yong to chuckle.

“Ow! what the hell Dara?” He mumbled, rubbing his head.

I rolled my eyes. “You guys are like a bunch of five year olds, I swear!” I took a deep breath, shaking my head. “We’re trying to eat lunch here and you guys are throwing profanity’s left and right like we‘re a bunch of thugs. Obviously your mom doesn’t approve of that language in her household so keep it to a minimum or better yet, shut the beep up.”

Dong-Won took a bite out of his bread, finding this entire situation to be humorous as he watched this all unravel.

“Si Hyun, maybe next time you should watch what you say or else none of this would have happened.” I sighed, turning to look at Ji-Yong. “And you,” I scoffed. “Need to quit being so annoying.”

“Annoying?” Ji-Yong questioned in a hiss.

“Yes, annoying.” I my lips. “We came here to have a good time not fight every five seconds.”

“Well, last time I checked this is my family, not yours. I could do whatever the hell I want and say whatever the I want.” Ji-Yong sneered lowly, his voice sending a trail of shivers down my spine.

Everyone grew silent as I stared at Ji-Yong in shock to what he had just said. Not being able to believe he had the decency to be so nasty to me in front of his family once again, I pursed my lips. “And if it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t be sitting with your family right now.” I snapped, giving him a look of complete disbelief before pushing the chair I sat on back and standing up. “Could you please excuse me?” I asked even though I never gave anyone the chance to answer because I walked off anyways.

“Dara--” Eun-Seo tried to call out for me but I disappeared out of the room and down the hallway, exiting through the front door, wanting to get a breath of air and clam myself down before I did something stupid.

It’s one thing to snap angrily at me when no one’s around but it’s another to do it in front of people. It’s exceptionally embarrassing for me because I look like an idiot meanwhile he was the jackass to put me in that position.

Taking a deep breath, I let the cool air whisk through me, a series of goosebumps rising on my skin as it did so.

The faint sound of the front door opening and closing was heard and I immediately stiffened, knowing who it was. “Ji-Yong, I’m not in the mood--”

“It’s not Ji-Yong.”

I snapped my head around to see Dong-Won standing a few feet away from me, his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

“Oh,” I mumbled. “Sorry.” I shot him a small smile, wanting to reassure him that I was in no way angry with anyone else other than Ji-Yong.

“There’s no need to apologize.” He smiled. “I see why you don’t want to talk to my son and it’s understandable. If I were in your position, I wouldn’t want to talk to him either.” He shrugged, staring ahead at the bright sun beaming down on all of us.

I shuffled on my feet, not really knowing what to say or do at this point. “I apologize for just leaving the table like that. It was disrespectful of me--”

Dong-Won put a hand up to silence me, his head shaking. “Like I said before, you have nothing to apologize for. Ji-Yong was way out of line with what he said.”

I pressed my lips together in a firm line, wanting to hear what he had to say.

“He gets it from me, you know.”

I furrowed my eyebrows questioningly, wanting him to elaborate.

“The short temper.”

My eyes widened a bit in realization as I let out a soft “oh”, looking away with a nod of my head, signifying towards him that I knew what he meant.

“He means well, even though it probably doesn’t seem like it. He just has the tendency to not think before he speaks.” Dong-Won chuckled, scratching the front of his booted foot on the ground.

“Yeah, he sure does…” I muttered uncomfortably, not wanting to give him the impression that I was upset with anyone else other than Ji-Yong because that wasn’t the case at all.

“He doesn’t mean the things he says when he’s angry. It’s just the way we are, Ji-Yong and I…” He paused, taking a deep breath. “We say and do things we normally wouldn’t and I just wish he didn’t take that trait from me.”

“Hey,” I turned to him, a look of disbelief flashing through my eyes. “Your son is an amazing person and so are you. You shouldn’t beat yourself over something that’s out of your control.”

“I know… I just wish he didn’t take after me sometimes and maybe then he wouldn’t have gone into the things he did…”

“You can’t change fate. You don’t know for certain if it would have changed the life he chose for himself. All you can look at is the future, not the what-if’s and what could have happened. There’s no use in it, it just brings you down.”

Dong-Won nodded, his gaze sharpened to the floor. “I know I haven’t been a part of his life for a while now but I know that he acts out on impulse. He tends to push the people he cares about most, away.”

I pulled my lips into my mouth, sadness coursing through me, my ears perked to what Dong-Won had to say.

“A lot of people came in and out of his life and he’s afraid of losing you so he gives himself a reason to hurt you so that if you leave, he can easily blame himself.”

I shook my head, a whisper of a smile on my lips. “No matter what, he will never lose me.” I let out a soft laugh. “He says the most hurtful things to me sometimes but if I said I wanted him to change, I’d be lying. I love him for him, just the way he is— and all.”

Dong-Won laughed. “That’s good to hear.” He mused, giving me a knowing look.

I giggled, looking away at the bright sun, a smile placed upon my lips. A peaceful silence fell amongst us until I broke it. “Thank you by the way.”

He creased his eyebrows together as they formed as one. “For what?”

“Calming me down… even though I’m sure you didn’t come out here to do that.” I beamed childishly.

“Not going to lie,” He chuckled. “I didn’t but I’m glad I did. You’re good for my son. He needs someone like you in his life—strong and willing to talk back no matter the consequences.” He smirked.

“That’s something you never have to worry about.” I twisted my lips to a sadistic smirk. “If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s his attitude which I gladly hand back to him.”

Dong-Won threw his head back in laughter. “That’s the way to go.” He cocked his head towards the front door. “We should probably head back inside now.”

“Yeah, that’s a pretty good idea.” We both turned to walk inside, Dong-Won’s hand on my back to lead the way when the door opened before Dong-Won had the chance to do it himself, revealing Ji-Yong to be standing in the doorway.

Neither one of us said anything, Ji-Yong’s eyes pinned to mine with no emotion, not even an ounce of regret. My stomach churned at the awkwardness that enveloped us all.

“Can we talk?” Ji-Yong directed his question towards me, a twinkle in his eye. Not wanting to cause another argument between us, I sheepishly nodded, giving Dong-Won a hug before he walked inside the house, he patted Ji-Yong’s back, the door closing his descending figure.

Ji-Yong stood with his hands in his pockets, staring off ahead of me, the whooshing of the trees the only thing we heard besides our soft breathing.

I looked down at my shoes, biting on the insides of my cheek, my arms crossed against my chest.

“Look—” We both began at the same time.

I softly giggled, looking up at him. “You first”

Ji-Yong scratched the back of his neck, his eyes looking everywhere else but me. “Listen, I know I always do this and you’re probably getting sick and tired of hearing it but I’m sorry.”

I nodded. An apology was all I wanted. “It’s okay.”

He sighed frustratingly, clearly not hearing me. “I shouldn’t have said what I did—”

“Ji-Yong,” I laughed. “I said it’s okay.”

He knitted his eyebrows together in misperception. “Huh?”

“I forgive you.”

“But… how? What? Why?”

“Let’s just say a very insightful person told me some things that I put into consideration.” I shrugged, smiling.

“Are you ing with me or something?” He pointed at me and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“No,” I shook my head, amused at the whole situation. “Why do you seem so surprised?”

“Because this has got to be the first time we didn’t fight.” He looked down at me with big eyes. “It’s weird to be honest. I expected you to punch me or something?”

I laughed once more, a bit louder this time, not being able to contain it any longer. “I don’t even know why you’re questioning all this. Shouldn’t you be happy we’re not fighting?”

“Oh, trust me, I am.” He put a hand on his chest. “I just expected a blowout, that’s it.”

“I’m sorry?”

Chuckling, Ji-Yong his lips. “C’mere,” Putting his arms out, I walked into them as they curled around me, pulling me into a hug. Kissing the top of my head, Ji-Yong laid his chin on top of it as a smile fell upon my lips. “I’m sorry.” he murmured softly.

“I know.” I nuzzled my head into his chest.

Holding me for quite some time, a containment of peace and quiet surrounded us, making it feel as though nothing could touch us nor bring us down.


“Come on,” Ji-Yong pulled away shortly aft. Holding out his hand for me to take, I did despite the fact that IU didn’t want this moment between us to end.

Following his lead back into the house, I was surprised to find everyone still seated at the table.

“Look who finally decided to show up.” Si Hyun teased. “I thought you love birds disappeared or something.”

Eun-Seo gave him a look of disappointment which worked wonders because Si Hyun muttered an apology quickly.

I squeezed Ji-Yong’s hand causing me to look down at me. I shot him a look that said to say something.

Turning to face Si Hyun, Ji-Yong his lips. “No,” He shook his head, sighing. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have put you on the spot like that.”

“You had every right. I was being an idiot.” Si Hyun slumped his shoulders, his lips faltering to a frown.

“It’s okay; I should have known you were just joking.” Letting go of my hand, Ji-Yong walked over to where Si Hyun sat, waiting as he stood up before giving him a brotherly hug.

“Aw,” I cooed along with Eun-Seo, the both of us laughing at our unison. “How sweet.” I gushed.

“Shut up.” Ji-Yong and Si Hyun muttered and I immediately shot my eyebrows up.

“Sorry.” They both mumbled.

I grinned, nodding. “It’s alright.” I waved a hand dismissively.

“Now that this is all settled, patched and good again, who wants to eat?”

“You can count me in.” I practically ran to the chair I was seated in before I left. “I’m starving.”

Ji-Yong chuckled. “I realized something…” He grinned, popping a piece of bread into his mouth as he chewed.

I scrunched my face up. “What?”

Swallowing, he drank some water. “You’re always hungry.”

I blushed, shrugging. “Well, a girl gotta eat you know." I ate some salad, shooting him a sarcastic smile.

Everyone laughed.

________________________________________

“Thanks for everything Eun-Seo!” I called from the open window of Ji-Yong’s car, waving obnoxiously.

“Anytime sweetheart, it was good to see you again!” She waved back, a huge smile on her face.

“You too!” I called back.

“Take care of my son!”

“I will, promise!” Giving one last wave, I pulled myself back into the car just as the window rolled up to a close, Ji-Yong pulling out of the driveway and onto the street.

“We should visit them more often.” I pointed out as Ji-Yong drove down the street, one hand on the steering wheel, the other clasped around my own.

“We will,” He nodded. “But first I’ve got to get meeting yours out of the way. It’s on Sunday, right?” He tore his gaze from the road for a split second to look at me before retrieving his gaze back forwards.

I nodded. “It’s at seven.”

He let out a deep breath and I could sense his nervousness. “It’s going to be fine.” I assured him.

“I sure hope so.” Ji-Yong muttered, uncertain about the whole situation. “I just don’t understand why I have to meet them.” He grumbled.

“Do you want to be able to see me?” I asked.

“Of course I do, what kind of question is that?” He stared at me incredulously and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Okay then, meeting my parents will just have to be a sacrifice you’re willing to make.”

Ji-Yong sighed, holding onto my hand even tighter than he was before. “The things I do for you…” He mumbled with a shake of his head.

I smiled, leaning over to give him a kiss on the cheek. “I love you.”

He turned his head around, giving me a sweet kiss on the lips. “I love you too.”

---------------------------------------------

Just an fyi, their is only a few chapters left in 'Danger' :(

but comment below what you think might happen next and what you would like me to write a one shot about (: 

also, i really like to read your comments and thoughts on my stories <3

-Myung_Joon