Chapter 53

Danger

Dara’s Point of view
:

“How have you and my son been since we’ve last seen you?” Eun-Seo turned to me after she dried her hands on a towel once she had finished washing the dishes.

Putting away the last of the plates in the cabinet, I smiled, setting myself on a stool of three that stood next to one another beside the counter. “We’ve been good, same as before to be honest.” I lightly laughed.

“Nothing new?” She leaned back against the sink, standing adjacent from where I sat.

I shook my head, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. “Not really.”

She narrowed her eyes at me skeptically. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”

I furrowed my eyebrows together in confusion. “No…” I cocked my head to the side, trying to decipher why she has asked that. “Why?”

She shrugged, waving a hand dismissively. “No reason… just curious.” She smiled warmly towards me.

I returned the kind gesture. “How have you been?”

“The same as always; I stay home, clean the house, and do the laundry, gossip with the girls on the phone before Si Hyun comes home.” She giggled shamefully before continuing, “I make lunch, Dong-Won comes home then I make dinner.”

“Sounds boring” I laughed.

She nodded in agreement. “You have no idea.”

“I don’t know how you do it.” I stared at her, slightly baffled. “I could never manage half of the things you do in one day.”

“You’re still young sweetheart.”

“Oh, please.” I shook my head. “You make it seem like you’re fifty.” I rolled my eyes, smiling soon after.

“Stop it.” She blushed.

“I’m being serious Eun-Seo! How old are you anyways? Twenty?”

Eun-Seo laughed. “I wish.” her lips, she shook her head. “I’m thirty seven.”

My eyes practically fell from their sockets. “No way”

She nodded. “I know, I’m old”

“Old?!” I emphasized, perplexed. "More like young! You’re a mother of thr—two and you still managed to keep a body like that and work as hard as you do?” I put a hand up. “I don’t even want to imagine myself in ten years.”

“Hush now,” Eun-Seo smiled big. “You are going to be just as gorgeous as you are now.”

I felt my cheeks heat up. “Thanks Eun-Seo but I seriously doubt it.”

“Anytime sweetheart,” She laid a kind hand on top of mine. “And don’t say such a thing. You are beautiful and my son seems to think so too.”

If my cheeks were red before, I could only imagine how bright they were now. I let out a girlish giggle which made Eun-Seo laugh immensely, finding my embarrassed state adorable.

“You are perfect for my son, you know that?”

I bit my lip, looking over at her. “Thank you Eun-Seo.” I smiled.

She waved a hand as if to say it was nothing but the truth. “I mean it, you know.” She nodded her head. “I know I’ve said it before but I don’t think I’ve actually elaborated on it much.”

“There’s no need—”

“No,” Eun-Seo shook her head. “There is. You see… ever since the death of my baby girl, things have been hard on us and especially on my son. I’ve seen how broken he had become after everything that had happened. I’ve seen him at his worst and his best. I’ve seen him with countless girls and none of them brought the smile on his face like you have.”

The back of my eyes pinched and at this rate, I couldn’t hold back my emotions any further. Letting a tear slip from my lid, I quickly wiped it away.

“A lot has happened to us all and no matter what happened in the past, all I’ve ever wanted was for my son to be happy and you give him something to be happy for. Before, he had no reason to smile. Now, he does.”

“I… don’t even know what to say.” I whispered. “I’m… speechless.” I in my lips, taking a deep breath before letting it out. “That means a lot to me Eun-Seo.”

She sadly smiled.

“When I first met Ji-Yong… I knew he was broken and that there was something about him that made him so bitter.” Biting the inside of my cheek, I shifted in my seat. “A part of me told me not to get involved with him. That he was nothing but trouble but the other part of me urged me forwards.” Looking away, I blinked back the remainder of my tears. “It was like, I was meant to be with him…”

“You are,” Eun-Seo walked over to me. “You truly are an angel sent from heaven to protect my son. I couldn’t do it but you did.” A few tears slid down her cheeks but Eun-Seo didn’t bother to wipe them away. “You saved him.” She whispered. “You saved my son… and I will forever be grateful for that.” Leaning forwards, she engulfed me into a hug, one of which, I strengthened.

“What’s going on in here?” I pulled away the moment I heard the, oh so familiar voice I was used to. I sniffled, watching as Eun-Seo immediately moved back, wiping her cheeks clean of tears.

“Nothing” Eun-Seo smiled, waving a hand contemptuously.

“It doesn’t seem like it’s nothing.” Walking fully into the kitchen, Ji-Yong moved on over to us. “What happened?”

“I, ugh, got something in my eye and Dara was trying to blow it out.” Eun-Seo blinked her eyes, smiling innocently towards Ji-Yong.

I caught onto where Eun-Seo was heading with this and nodded my head, playing along. “Right; I helped her… blow the thing… from her eye.” I smiled, trying to sound convincing.

Ji-Yong gave us a weird look. “O—kay?” He chuckled. “Are you sure you’re okay?” He looked at me.

“Yes.” I giggled.

Eun-Seo smiled, staring lovingly between us.

“Mom?” Ji-Yong waved a hand in front of her face. “What are you staring at like that?”

Eun-Seo snapped out of it, shaking her head quickly. “I zoned out there for a bit.” She laughed “I was just reminding myself to check the laundry. I’ll be right back.” Smiling, she sent me a wink as if to say, “Go be with your man”, in an appropriate way of course, before walking away.

I laughed lightly, shaking my head at how laid back and awesome she was.

I wish my mom was like that.

“So…” Ji-Yong maneuvered his way in-between my legs, each of his hands laid on either side of me on the counter. “What was really going on between you and my mom?” He raised his left eyebrows, a smirk on his lips.

“Just what she told you.” I strained a laugh. “She really got something in her eye and she started tearing up. I was trying to blow it out and it worked.”

“Mhm,” He mumbled, flashing me his infamous smile. “That’s interesting. But, how about this time… you tell me the truth?”

I bit my lip. “What are you talking about?”

“I think you know exactly what I’m talking about babe.” He murmured, staring into my eyes.

I looked away.

Leaning down, he pressed a firm kiss to my neck before traveling his way up my jaw and cheek until his lips brushed against my ear. “Look at me.”

I bit my lip, forcing myself to do as was told.

“Tell me.” He glided his fingers against my check, his knuckles soon running up and down the length of my neck.

I twiddled my thumbs, not knowing if I should say anything or not. “Ji-Yong…”

“Dara.” He breathed out, his hazel eyes boring into my chocolate ones. “Just tell me.”

“Okay…” I mumbled, swinging my legs up and down as they brushed against the side of Ji-Yong’s.

He grabbed my left hand in his, interlacing our fingers.

“We were talking about you.”

He smirked. “What about me?”

“Nothing bad… your mom was just telling me about how I’m good for you.” I blushed, latching my teeth onto my bottom lip.

“She’s right.” He thumbed my chin. “You are.”

I smiled.

Leaning forwards, he pressed his lips to mine. “I love you.” He muttered.

“I love you too.”

After a few seconds of standing in silence, Ji-Yong broke it. “Come with me.” He smiled. “I want to show you something.”

I nodded, jumping down from the stool and following him out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

“Yeah, bro! Get it in!” Si Hyun called from the couch causing Dong-Won to laugh and Eun-Seo to smack the back of his head.

“Thank you, mom” Ji-Yong scowled.

“Ow! What the hell—”

Another Smack! was heard and I turned to see that Eun-Seo had hit him once more.

“What was that for?”

“Language!” Eun-Seo scolded.

“What is this? Hit Si Hyun upside the head day?!” He cried out incredulously.

“It’s what you deserved, idiot.” Ji-Yong spat before rolling his eyes and walking the remainder of the way upstairs.

When we reached the top, a long narrow hallway was revealed to us.

“This way,” Ji-Yong gestured with his head down the hall.

I followed behind him until he stopped in front of the third door on the left. “This,” He grabbed the handle, opening the door, “is my room.”

I walked inside, my eyes widening as I stared in shock. It looked like a typical teenage boy’s room. It had various posters of baseball, basketball and hockey players, a few trophy’s, pictures of family and friends and a normal blue and white bedspread, his walls painted a navy blue.

“This is your room?”

He laughed, bobbing his head up and down. “Yep,” He emphasized the ‘p’, letting go of my hand as he dug both of his own into the pockets of his jeans, taking in everything around him much like I was doing now.

“Wow… it’s so normal looking compared to your room now.”

“What’s wrong with my room now?” He looked at me.

I shrugged. “Your room now is more dark… it’s got that whole bad aurora to it. This one seems more… boyish.”

Ji-Yong laughed. “I grew out of it I guess.”

“Yeah,” I smiled. “Your bed looks so small.”

“It’s been a few years since I’ve slept in it, Sel. Of course it’s going to look small. I’ve grown a couple inches since the last time I stayed in here.”

“I can’t believe it’s been that long…”

“Tell me about it.” He murmured, taking one last glance around the room before cocking his head towards the door. “Come on; let’s take a look at the other rooms.”

Nodding, I walked out with Ji-Yong behind me. Walking in front, he led me to the room next to his and the moment he opened the door, I knew it was Si Hyun’s room due to all the various hockey items inside.

“This is Si—”

“Si Hyun’s room, I know.” I finished for him with a smile. “I could tell.”

Ji-Yong took a look around while I stood there, not really feeling comfortable to walk around a room that didn’t belong to me.

Suddenly, Ji-Yong burst out laughing, startling me. “What’s wrong?”

Ji-Yong shook his head, biting his lips to keep from laughing any further.

“Ji-Yong?”

“Si Hyun is so ed when I see him downstairs.”

I knitted my eyebrows as one. “Why?”

He leaned down, grabbing a magazine in his hand before turning to face me. “Because I found this hidden under his bed,” He held it up and I nearly joked on my spit.

“No way! This is his?” I grabbed it from him, my eyes landing on the disturbing picture in front of me.

“I found it in his room under his bed.” Ji-Yong laughed, grabbing it back from me.

“Oh my God…” I trailed off, shocked.

“I know. I can’t wait to see his face when I drop the bomb on him.” He chuckled, rolling the magazine up and hiding it under Si Hyun’s bed once more.

I shuddered, shaking my head. “Let’s get out of here.” I grabbed his hand, pulling him out. “I don’t think I can handle any more surprises.”

Ji-Yong laughed, closing the door behind us before moving onto the next one. “I don’t blame you.” Opening the last door, we both began to step in until slowly Ji-Yong came to a halt inside, his eyes hazed over and his aurora completely changing.

“Ji-Yong?” I moved in beside him and instantly, I knew why he had gone silent. The room was filled with posters of boy bands. A few books scattered on a desk, the walls colored a light pink. “Is this Mi Hy—?”

“Mi Hyun’s room?” He looked down at me.

I didn’t say anything, instead, I looked ahead.

“Yeah.” He paused, his lips. “Yeah, it is.”


Ji-Yong’s Point of View:

I didn’t mean to walk in here.

I intended on viewing my parent’s room but of course I forgot that their room was the one before mine and Mi Hyun’s was the one next to Si Hyun’s just like it had always been.

What took me most by surprise was the fact that everything was untouched. Left just like it had been the night of the accident.

I thought that by now my parents had removed everything but it turns out that they didn’t.

Mi Hyun’s room was left to be the last memory we had of her.

“Are you okay?” Dara whispered, snapping me out of it.

I numbly nodded. Clearing my throat, I sighed. “I think so…”

She softly smiled, running a hand up and down my back. “Why don’t we go and—”

I shook my head. “No…” I paused. “I want to stay in here.”

“Are you sure?” She bit her lip, her eyes piercing through the side of my face.

I looked at her. “I can’t run away forever.”

She nodded, knowing exactly what I meant.

“Come on,” I grabbed her hand, leading her further into the room. “I want to show you a few things.”

Dara followed suit as I circled my way around Mi Hyun’s bed and over to her drawer. I felt my stomach churn as I stared over at the picture frame perched of both Mi Hyun and I a few months before her death, right after she had won the school’s science fair. I faintly smiled, leaning over and pressing my finger tips to the glass.

Dara stayed rested at my side, her eyes gazing over the picture before moving over to look at me. “When was this?”

“When she won the science fair,” I tore my eyes away, letting them land on Dara’s chocolate ones. “She was so happy she won… she couldn’t stop throwing it in Si Hyun and I’s faces.” I chuckled, shaking my head. “She was so darn competitive.”

“Just like you.” Dara bumped her hip to mine, giving my hand a squeeze and smiling.

“Yeah,” I whispered. “Just like me…” I mumbled, tearing my eyes to look at the necklace sprawled on the wooden desk top.

Dara seemed to have noticed what I was looking at because she brought it up. “What’s that?” She pointed.

I felt the back of my eyes pinch.
**

“Ji-Yong…?”

“I have a surprise for you, Mi.” I smiled, hiding a box behind my back knowing she was going to freak once she saw what I had bought her for her fourteen birthday.

“What?” She squealed happily, bouncing on her feet, not being able to contain her excitement any longer.

“Should I give it to you now or should I wait until later… hm…” I smirked, tapping my chin faking that I was thinking about what to do.

“Now!” She cried out eagerly. “Give it to me now, please!”

I chuckled, nodding my head. “Fine… since it’s your birthday and all.” I grinned while bringing the arm I had curled around my back, forwards, revealing the black velvet box. “Happy Birthday Mi Hyun.”

Grabbing the box from my hand, she lifted the top of the box before breaking into an animated gasp, her eyes widening in shock. “J-Ji-Yong…” She murmured, breathless. “This is beautiful.” Gently wrapping her fingers around the chain of the necklace I had bought her, she lifted it up.

“I’m glad you like it. Come on, let me help you put it on.”

“Okay.” She smiled, handing me the necklace before turning around and holding her hair up.

I walked behind her, bringing my arms behind her before layering the necklace around her neck, clasping it closed in the back. “There.” I whispered.

Turning, she quickly wrapped her arms around me. “Thank you, thank you, and thank you! I love it so much!”

I smiled, proud of myself. “You’re welcome Mi.”

“You are the best brother ever!”

I chuckled, squeezing her tighter against my frame.
**

“It was the present I had bought for her fourteen birthday.” I whispered, still in the haze from the flashback I had received.

“It’s beautiful.” Dara smiled up at me.

I cracked a small smile back. “That’s what she said when she saw it.”

Dara leaned up, pressing her lips to my cheek before pulling away.

Turning to face her, I let out a deep breath. “I wish she was still alive today…”

“I know…” Dara whispered, caressing my shoulder with her hand. “But, don’t think like that, okay? I’m sure she’s looking down at you right now, proud. You’ve come a long way you know.”

I nodded. “I know.”

“And she wouldn’t want you dwelling on the past.”

“You’re right.” Forcing myself to look away from the desk, I wrapped my arms around my girl’s waist, bringing her closer to me. “She would’ve loved you.” I mumbled into her hair after she laid her cheek against my chest.

“Really?” I could feel her smile against me, not daring to move and break the comfort between us.

“Hell yeah, you guys would’ve been best friends too.” I smirked. “I could only imagine what you guys would talk about…”

“Don’t flatter yourself big boy. You wouldn’t be the topic of our discussions.”

“I never said it was me.”

“But you were thinking it.” Dara giggled.

I shrugged. “You talk about me to my mom, it’s only common you would talk to my sister about me too, if she were still alive.”

“Oh my God, Ji-Yong,” Dara laughed. “I do not talk about you to your mom. We just… discuss you—”

“Same thing.” I defended, chuckling.

Dara rolled her eyes, giving me a simple shove. “Besides,” She emphasized wanting to continue what she was saying. “She just wants to know how things are going with you.”

I cocked a brow up. “And you tell her?”

Dara shrugged. “Yeah…” When she saw the look I gave her, she quickly shook her head. “Of course I make sure to leave out the details about the things I’m sure she wouldn’t want to know about.” She gave me an exasperated look.

“Good.” I kissed her forehead. “The last thing I need if for her to know I still go around doing the things I do.” I mumbled.

“Why don’t you quit then if it’s such a hassle?”

I pulled away from Dara . “What?”

“I’m just saying… if it’s such a problem, why don’t you just… leave?” She stated nonchalantly.

“I can’t do that.” I looked at her as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“Why not?” She cocked her head to the side, staring up at me curiously.

“Because I can’t. It’s a part of who I am. Besides, there’s no way out. Once you’re in, that’s it. You’re in forever.”

“Oh,” She nodded, pressing her lips to a firm line. “I gotcha.” Smiling, she shrugged.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered.

“You don’t have to be sorry.” She waved a hand dismissively. “I was just asking. Besides, I already told you I’m fine with it. I have accepted you for who youare. I don’t want you to change.”

I smiled, pecking her lips gently. “I know you do but I also know that it having to worry about me all the time but I promise you, I will never let anyone touch you. Okay? I will protect you no matter what.”

She warmly smiled. “I know and I’m very grateful for that.” Leaning up, she enveloped my lips in a kiss which I gladly returned the favor, grasping onto her sides and sliding her closer.

her bottom lip, Dara gladly accepted my invitation, my tongue sliding in and battling for dominance against hers.

Running her hands up my back and into my hair, Dara pulled at the ends, the kiss growing more heated by each second that passed.

I pulled away and gradually began moving my lips down her neck, and biting along the way, Dara let out a soft moan.

“Ji-Yong…” She murmured.

Layering sloppy open mouthed kisses all around her neck, I wanted nothing more than to rip her clothes apart and her senseless right now.

Just as I pulled away and was about to push my lips back to hers, Dara pressed her hands to my chest, stopping me. Out of breath, she her lips. “Don’t.”

“Why not?” I whined childishly, shooting her sultry smirk. “I want you so bad right now.” I moved in to kiss her once more but Dara didn’t budge.

“Ji-Yong!” She hissed. “Not right now and especially not in your sister’s room!” She scolded, looking at me incredulously.

Rolling my head back, I let out a sigh, groaning slightly. “Alright…” I moved back to face her. “You’re right.”

“I know I am.”

I chuckled, shaking my head. “Come on, we better get going before my parents actually think we are doing something up here.” Grabbing her hand, I interlaced our fingers together before taking one last look around the room and leaving, making sure to close the door behind us.

Making our way downstairs, both Si Hyun and my dad were watching TV just like we had last left them.

“Oh, look who’s finally came down. Did you guys get it in like I had predicted?” Si Hyun grinned.

I shot him a glare. “Shut the up.” I growled.

“Language!” My mom called from the kitchen.

I shot my eyes confusingly towards the direction my mom spoke from. “How did she hear that?”

“I have ears like a hawk.” My mom walked out of the kitchen and into the living room, shooting me a knowing look. “Lunch is ready.”

My dad shot up from the couch, stretching. “Alright boys, enough bickering, let’s go eat!” He fist pumped obnoxiously while chuckling.

Si Hyun stood, following my dad as Dara and I walked behind them. Upon entering the dining room, I took a seat next to my dad while Dara helped my mom bring out the plates of food.

Once all the food was on the table and we had all settled ourselves around the table, I decided to let Karma on Si Hyun take its toll. “So, Si Hyun…” I trailed off mockingly, grabbing a piece of bread before looking over to where Si Hyun seated.

He looked up curiously, wondering what I wanted. “What?”

“Since when do you read playboy?”