Chapter 41

Danger

Dara’s Point of View
:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph… what have I gotten myself into this time?

“What are you doing here?” I questioned Bom nervously, my parent’s hard stares burning holes through my body from the intensity they shared.

“I thought I’d come by and see how you were doing but it seems like you were on your way to my house to do Italian homework?” She stared at me incredulously.

“Yeah…” I awkwardly shuffled on my feet. “I did but you weren’t home…”

“It’s been almost two hours Dara.” My father spat harshly, his lips pressed firmly together. “Would you like to tell us where you were for those two hours when you were supposedly doing homework?”

I felt my throat burn, my feet glued to the ground and my stomach churning painfully. “I--”

“And don’t lie to us.” My mother spoke up this time, the tone in her voice cutting through the thick air violently.

My eyes flashed to Bom as she merely stood there, unmoving. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

Something was not right here.

“What’s going on?” I voiced my thoughts, taken back by the whole situation.

Bom her lips, avoiding my gaze while my parents continued to stare at me with disbelief.

“Tell us the truth Dara.” Dad spoke up again. “And stop trying to change the subject.”

“I’m not. I’m really confused right now…” I mumbled, shifting on my feet and looking all around the room. It was then that I spotted Cheondung on the stairs with sincerity twinkling in his eyes.

I scrunched my face together, trying to decipher what his emotions were trying to tell me. To make things easier, Cheondung mouthed the words Ji-Yong and Bom and almost instantly I knew what he meant.

Locking my jaw tight, I strictly nodded my head towards Cheondung, shifting my eyes to Bom, giving her the most utmost look of disgust that I could muster.

“Dara… we’re waiting…” My dad tapped his shoe endlessly and impatiently against the hardwood floors.

“Why should I tell you anything?” I looked at him. “I’m sure Bom told you all you needed to know.”

Her head snapped up when the words escaped my lips and Cheondung’ message was all clear to me now.

“Dara--”

“How could you?” I spat. “You were my best friend!”

“I am your best friend!” She cried back.

“No!” I sneered. “You’re not because if you were, you wouldn’t have done this to me.” I shook my head. “I hate you.”

“Dara!” My mom shrieked, disapproved of the words I had used but I didn’t care at this point.

“Get out of my house.” I pointed towards the door. “And delete my number from your phone. I’m done with you.”

“You’re going to end our friendship over some guy?!” She spat incredulously, shocked at my actions.

I laughed humorlessly. “This has nothing to do with Ji-Yong. This has to do with the fact that you went behind my back and snitched on me.”

“Sandara Park!” My mom yelled now. “Don’t you dare yell at Bom for trying to protect you!”

“Trying to protect me?” I cried out. “You think she’s trying to protect me?! Protect me from what?”

“From a criminal!” My dad spat, his voice heavy with disappointment. “How could you do this to us, to yourself?”

“Ji-Yong is not a criminal! You don’t even know him and neither do you!” I pointed towards Bom.

“I know enough to know he’s dangerous!” Bom, distressed, cried out.

“And how would you possibly know that?” I spat, my eyes slicing through hers.

“Because people said--”

“People.” I laughed, shaking my head. “They don’t even know who he is! No one does. Just because he doesn’t go around having conversations with everyone and isn’t buddy, buddy with all the football players doesn’t mean he’s this big, bad, tough guy.”

“They see things Dara, they know what he does. We all do!” She threw her hands in the air.

“Are you with him every day? Did you grow up with him? How do you know what people are saying aren’t just lies? You know how desperate people are to talk about other people!”

“Dara!” My mom scolded.

“What?” I screamed.

“Language!”

“I don’t give a !”

“Don’t talk to your mother like that!” My dad butted in as usual.

I rolled my eyes. “I know who he is and what he’s about and everything that people said about him are just plain old lies!”

“So it’s true…” My mom whispered in disbelief. “You have honestly been seeing this boy behind our backs?”

I turned to her. “Mom…”

“After all the times we caught you sneaking in and getting home late, it’s because you’ve been with a criminal…” My dad shook his head.

“No, it’s not that… I just,” I sighed. “Please, just hear me out.”

“You lied to us, Dara.” My dad spat. “We’ve asked you numerous times where you have been and we’ve given you chances, time and time again, to tell us the truth but instead you just lied straight to our faces. How do we know you won’t just lie to us now?”

“If I would have told you, you would have gotten angry with me and wouldn’t have let me see him--”

“Damn right we wouldn’t have!” Dad barked. “ You are sneaking out, lying to us… ever since you’ve been with this boy you’ve done a completely one eighty from how you used to be.”

“What? Confined, bored, and not being able to live my life the way I want to?” I scoffed, crossing my arms against my chest.

“No. You were respectful and didn’t go around being deceitful to us. You had simplicity and knew right from wrong. You’ve recently met this boy and he’s already had an impact on you--and not a good one.”

“It was my choice to lie to you, not his. He’s not me, dad. He doesn’t control me. I do what I do because I want to.”

“So it was your choice to go around acting like a ?” He sneered causing gasps to erupt from everyone including me.

“Honey…” Mom whispered, her hand falling to his shoulder.

He, however, shrugged her touch off, continuing to stare at me with pure disappointment. “I am truly and honorably disappointed with you Dara. After all your mother and I have done for you… you do this to repay us. I can’t even look at you right now.” He shook his head, looking away. “Go on up to your room and don’t come down until you’re told to do so.”

My face fell as so did my heart. I could hear it breaking into a million pieces while the tears engulfed my eyes.

Looking around the room, I gulped. “Mom?”

“Just go.” She whispered.

I felt my heart break even more as I nodded my head, beginning my journey to the stairs but not before stopping by Bom. “Thanks, best friend.” I mumbled in disgust before shoving past her and disappearing upstairs towards my room.


Ji-Yong’s Point of View:

I paced the floors in my room, running my hands harshly through my hair, the anger still running through my veins, the anticipation to rip Jason’s heart from his chest still present.

Jason had gone too far tonight, threatening Dara and bringing up the past. He was going to pay for what he did all those years ago.

I owed it to Mi Hyun, my family and me. I had to do this as my farewell to her death.

I turned my head around once I heard the door open to see Seung Hyun walk in. “What do you want?”

“Don’t do it.”

I laughed humorlessly. “Let me guess… Young Bae told you?”

“No, I heard you instead and I’m telling you man, don’t do this. Focus on Luke, focus on the problem at hand and not about the past.”

“The past always had a way with coming back to bite me in the .” I looked at me. “You know that. It’s nothing I can’t handle but this… this is personal.” I shook my head. “This has to do with my sister bro. You knew how much she meant to me and that bastard ended her life without a second thought.”

Seung Hyun looked at me sadly, not knowing what to say.

“You weren’t there when I tried to run back into the warehouse to save her and have the fireman hold me back and say there were no more survivors. You weren’t there when they told me that Mi Hyun had died in the explosion…” I shook my head, the memories coming back almost instantly.

***

I walked out of the burning building, coughing, my arm hovered over my mouth, dust covering my body from head to toe.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up there buddy.” A man in a uniform took me by the arm, pulling me over to a spread out gurney, making me sit on it. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. My body just hurts from everything that fell on top of me.” I mumbled, coughing once more.

“Alright. Do you have any chest pains? Headaches?”

I cleared my throat. “Yes.”

“It’s nothing to worry about. You said that a few things fell on you?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s what’s causing the pain. The huge impact resulted in the pain in your chest and the sound from the explosion radiated in your ears, ringing inside your head.

“Will it go away?” My voice was hoarse.

“Most definitely by tomorrow.”

“Thanks doc.”

He chuckled. “No problem. That’s what I’m here for.”

“Mr. Kwon,” I looked up to see an officer heading towards me, a stern look on their face. I inwardly rolled my eyes. They always tried to look tough but neither had a impact on me.

“What?”

“We have a few questions for you.”

“He just got out of an exploded building,” The doctor that had taken care of me spoke up. “He is in no way capable of answering questions right now. On my behalf, you’re going to have to wait until tomorrow otherwise I can contact the office and let them know you had gone against medical sentencing.”

Taking in what doc had just said, they turned to me. “We will see you soon, Kwon.”

I smirked. “See ya.” When they left, I turned towards doc. “Thanks for that.”

He waved a hand dismissively. “It’s nothing. I was being honest when I said they couldn’t question you. You really aren’t allowed to have a huge discussion after what just happened.”

I nodded my head in understanding, watching as he packed his things, mumbled a few words to his collage before walking away.

“What the happened back there?” Young Bae spat, coughing as well as he made his way over to me.

“I don’t know man. I was told to meet someone in there when I turn around and see that ing Mi Hyun followed me…” I froze, my eyes widening in realization. “Wait, where’s Mi Hyun?!”

“You said she was with you in the warehouse?” Young Bae furrowed his eyebrows.

Panic immediately set in as I stood up causing the pounding in my head to accelerate greatly. I groaned, pressing a hand to my forehead.

“Whoa, are you okay?” Young Bae questioned as he held onto my shoulders.

“Yeah, I’m good. I just gotta go find Mi Hyun.” Pushing his hands off me, I began to walk towards the chaos at hand. “Mi Hyun?” I called out loudly. “Mi Hyun? Where are you?”

I waited for any sort of answer but instead, all I got in return, was silence. I frantically looked around, hoping to see Mi Hyun sitting somewhere getting checked out. “Mi Hyun!” I cried out, desperate to find my sister.

I gave up trying to look for her out here and decided it’d be best to check the warehouse just in case she was stuck in there. Pushing past everyone that got in my way, I continued to call Mi Hyun’s name, praying that she could hear me while I looked all around me.

“Sir!” Someone called out but I ignored them.

“Sir!” A hand grabbed my upper arm, bringing me to a halt. “You can’t go in there.”

“I have to find my sister!” I spat harshly, trying to pry my arm away from his grasp but it didn’t work. The prick was too strong for me.

“I’m sorry but that isn’t a good idea…” He mumbled sincerely, his eyes flashing with sadness and immediately, I knew something was wrong.

“I have to find my sister…I know she’s in there somewhere. If you just give me a few minutes, I’ll be out of your way fast. Please…”

“I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you this sir, but, our team already searched the whole warehouse… there were no more survivors. I’m sorry for your loss.”

As the words set into my head, my stomach dropped to the ground. Everything around me coming to a halt.

“No.” I muttered, shaking my head. “No. She has to be in there. She was with me. I was… right there. I saw her before the… no.” I shook my head.

“I’m sorry…”

“NO!” I roared, ripping my arm from his grasp. “She’s in there. How the did I make it out and she didn’t? She was a foot away from me!”

“The impact was too much for her fragile body to handle. The amount of shillings that had fell on her burned her to no extent.”

From the corner of my eye, I saw Young Bae’s mouth drop, his eyes wide in horror.

I shook my head, taking a step back. “No… no…” I shook my head again, the tears engulfing my eyes, blurring my vision.

Young Bae took a step towards me but stopped the moment he saw the state I was in.

“She was everything to me… I tried so hard to protect her, to keep her away from the things I did. She should have been at home, sleeping not d-dea…” I bit my lip, not being able to say the words out loud.

“She can’t be gone…” I whispered. “I love her. She’s my sister. She’s my life… I… I tried to protect her.”

Young Bae’s eyes blurred as he stared at my frantic nature.

“I… I promised her that I’d make sure she was safe. I told her I wouldn’t let anyone hurt her.” I balled my hands into fists. “I promised!” I screamed. “And I let her down…” My voice fell to a desperate whisper.

The salty substance continued to stroll down my cheeks, slicing through my flesh like a knife. My body gave out and in one swift motion; my knees came in contact with the ground as I doubled over in disbelief.

My sister was dead.

And it was my entire fault.
*****

I blinked, bringing myself back to reality as I stared at Seung Hyun. “You don’t know what it was like to be told that your own sister died. You don’t know what it’s like to have to look your parents in the eye and tell them that their daughter had died and you certainly don’t know what it’s like to hear your father tell you that you were dead to them.” I locked my jaw tight. “I lost more than my sister that night, Seung Hyun. I lost my family and that son of a deserves to die for costing me all that.”

Seung Hyun’s face softened as he let out a sharp breath, scratching the back of his head. “That’s some deep man.”

“Mi Hyun deserves justice for her death. Jason deserves to rot in hell for all the damage he’s done.” I spat.

“I know man and trust me, I’d help you. You know I would especially now that I know exactly what the bastard had done to you and your family… but, Young Bae is right man. You are risking way too much.”

“I don’t care--”

“But Dara might.”

I froze.

“Have you even stopped to think about what she would think or even do if her boyfriend went to jail?” He spoke monotonously.

I gritted my teeth. “She’d understand.”

Seung Hyun shook his head. “Don’t be so naïve, Ji-Yong. She’d probably understand why you did it but she wouldn’t be able to wrap her mind around the fact that you would be so careless as to get arrested.”

“I won’t ing get arrested man.” I spat. “I didn’t then and I won’t now. Besides, with McCann out of the way things would be much, much better and the feds might even thank me.” I shrugged nonchalantly.

“Yeah, they’d probably give you an award, thank you and then take you away for murder.” Seung Hyun rolled his eyes. “Again, don’t be so naïve. You’re smarter than this, You know the risks and the possible scenarios that could go down if you go along with whatever it is that you’re planning.”

“I know what I’m doing.” I reassured.

Seung Hyun ran his hands frustratingly through his hair. “You’re letting the anger inside of you talk. Don’t think with your anger man, think with your mind… your heart, what you truly know is right is somewhere deep down inside of there.”

“What are you? Dr. Phil?” I spat with a slight chuckle.

“No but I am your best friend and you know that if what I thought you were doing was right, I wouldn’t be here right now trying to change your mind. Listen to me man, this is a bad idea. Just forget Jason for now and focus on Luke.”

I looked away. “Whatever man.”

“You know I’m right so just listen to me. Do the right thing for once.” Sighing, he patted my back before pulling away and opening and closing the door after he left.

I scowled, shaking my head.

Just as I was about to head to the bathroom to take a shower, my cell phone rang. Furrowing my eyebrows, I wondered who it could be. Sliding my phone out, I saw Dara’s name shine on the screen. “Hello?” I said once I unlocked and answered it. I lay down on my bed, looking up at the ceiling.

“J-Ji-Yong?” I heard Dara sniffle from the other end.

My heart dropped and immediately I sprang up in bed. “Baby? What’s wrong?”

“M-My parents Ji-Yong… they found out.”

My eyes widened. “What do you mean they found out?”

“B-Bom told them everything.” She sniffled again and I could only imagine the state she was in right now. Suddenly, I felt the urge to hold her in my arms and never let her go.

“How the did she--” I paused, trying to wrap my head around this.

“After you dropped me off, I went inside and I saw both my parents and Bom standing in the living room. My parents were mad and demanded to know the ‘truth’. Something inside of me told me that it was about you… then I looked up and saw Cheondung. He mouthed to me your name and then said Bom. I told my parents that Bom probably already told them everything and her head snapped up, that’s when I knew Cheondung was telling me Bom was the one behind this.”

I balled my hands into fists. Mentally cursing the day Bom was conceived, that two faced lying . “And?” I urged her to continue with a strained voice.

Was it bad that I wanted to kill a ?

“My parents were yelling at me and I just… I don’t know what to do anymore Ji-Yong. Bom lied to them about you, saying you were some criminal--”

“I am a criminal babe.” I chuckled lightly, trying to brighten the mood.

“But they don’t have to know that besides Bom doesn’t even know what you do. She took her analogies from the people in school and fed my parents their bull and you know the they say and how they exaggerate everything.”

“Jesus Christ,” I muttered, pulling at the ends of my hair. “What else did they say?”

“They figured out that, that was the reason why I got home late all those times they caught me…” She went silent for a moment and all I could hear was the static coming through the phone.

Something told me there was more to this story that she wasn’t telling me. “Babe?”

“Hm?”

“What else did they say?”

“Uhm… nothing…”

“Don’t lie to me.” I sighed.

“Really Ji-Yong--”

“Dara.” I sternly spoke. “Just tell me.”

“Mydadcalledmeawhore.” She laced all the words together, making me not able to understand a word she said.

“Can you repeat that but slower this time?”

I heard Dara shuffle in the background than everything got quiet again. “My dad called me a .”

It took a few minutes to let the words sink in. “He what?” I barked, the anger from before coming back within seconds.

“Please don’t make me say it again…” She whimpered.

I shook my head. “He has no right to call you that! We didn’t even do anything. How the are you a w--this is bull.” I spat. “Are you ing kidding me?” I hissed, not being able to believe that her own father would say something so disgusting to his daughter.

“No…” She whispered.

I sighed once more. “Don’t worry baby, I’ll handle this. Okay?”

“Ji-Yong, what are you going to do?” I could sense the worry in Dara’s voice.

“Nothing. Just relax and calm down, okay? I don’t want you crying anymore. It kills me knowing I’m not able to hold you and soothe you myself.”

“Okay…”

“Good girl. I gotta go now, okay? But call me later if you want to talk. I love you.” I got up from the bed, walking over to my closet where I pulled out a leather jacket.

“Love you too.” And with that, the line went dead.

Pushing my phone back into my pocket, I slid on my jacket before leaving the room and going down the stairs. “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

All the guys sprang to their feet, Young Bae and Seung Hyun being the first. “Where are you going, Kwon?”

“Somewhere. Don’t worry, McCann’s gonna be safe. This has got nothing to do with him.” I reassured them and left without another look back.

I started my car and pulled out of the driveway, a lit cigarette hanging from the side of my lip. I took it between my fingers, letting out a perfect ring of smoke while changing lanes and twisting around a curb, driving down Bentley Lane.

I knew this town like the back of my hand so it didn’t take long before I arrived at my wanted destination. Killing the ignition, I stepped out of my car, making sure to slam the door shut after. Walking up the pathway that led to the front door, I didn’t hesitate to pound my knuckles against the door. “Open up!” I barked.

In a matter of seconds, the door flung open to reveal the girl I’ve wanted to see ever since I got off the phone with my girl. “Hello, Bom.” Her name rolled off my tongue in such disgust, I felt like throwing up just saying it.

Her eyes widened. “What are you doing here?” She hissed. “How’d you even know where I live?!”

I smirked, chuckling devilishly. “I have my ways, babe, you ain’t gotta worry about that.” I shifted on my feet before shuffling closer to Bom, my breath fanning her face. “But, I heard what you did and I gotta say Bom, I don’t really appreciate it much.”

“Wow, she already told you?” Bom scoffed with a shake of her head. “She really is so far up your …” She muttered distastefully. “You got her wrapped around your little finger,” She stared up at me with narrowed eyes, her head cocked to the side. “How do you feel about that? It must feel good knowing you have this much control over her.”

My face hardened. “Don’t ing talk about her like that, .” I spat. “You don’t know anything about me or my relationship with Dara so why don’t you off?”

“I know that you’re a good for nothing criminal.”

“Then you should know I won’t hesitate to kill your .”

“You wouldn’t dare touch me.”

“Oh, I would and if you think I’m kidding, keep testing me and you’ll be lying in your own puddle of blood.” I spoke menacingly.

“You know, you’re just proving me right.” She laughed humorlessly. “You are a criminal who doesn’t care about anyone or anything but himself.”

“You claim to know so much… so why are you still letting fly out of your mouth?” I got so close in her face that I was able to feel her body tremble in front of me. “If you were smart and really knew what I did and what I was capable of, you wouldn‘t be talking so much.” My eyes stuck daggers into hers. “I also don’t like it when people with the people I care about especially when they make them cry.” I emphasized. “You got a lot of nerve telling Dara’s parents and you want to call yourself her best friend?” I shook my head. “You’re far from it.”

“I am her best friend!”

“Correction,” I grinned mischievously. “Was her best friend. You’re nothing to her now and if I were you, I’d stay the hell away from her. Got that?”

Bom didn’t say anything this time. Instead, she merely nodded her head, her lips pressed firmly together.

I smiled. “Good girl.” Turning, I walked away from her while pulling my phone out and dialing a familiar number.

“Hello?”

“I handled everything babe.”

“Ji-Yong, what did you do?” Dara questioned worriedly.

I shrugged despite the fact that she couldn’t see me. “Let’s just say you don’t have to worry about Bom anymore.”