Chapter 45

Danger

Dara’s Point of View:

“Are you nervous?”

I looked over at Ji-Yong. His left hand was on the steering wheel, his other clasped around my right one. I smiled, giggling slightly. “You asked me that about a million times since yesterday and for the last time, I am fine. I think I should be the one asking you if you’re nervous. It is in fact your family who you haven’t seen in years.” I squeezed his hand.

Ji-Yong his lips, shrugging. “If they accept me back in, then they do. If not, I continue on with my life. As much as I miss my family, I’ve gone this long without them, I can survive eternity. You’re the one meeting them for the first time.”

I frowned. “Don’t say that…” I shook my head. “I’m sure they’ve missed you and sure, meeting them is a bit nerve wracking but you told me I have nothing to worry about so I’m not going to worry.”

Ji-Yong sighed. “What do you want me to do Dara? Imagine my mom and dad taking me in with open arms, forgetting all that happened in the past? You and me both know that there’s a slim chance of that ever happening.”

“How do you expect anything good to happen if all you’re going to do is think negatively?” I scowled. “What did I tell you about that?”

“I’m living in reality Dara, not la la land like you tend to do sometimes. This isn’t a fairytale. Good thingsdon’t happen because you want them to or because you deserve it. This is real life. Mistakes are made, things are said and done that just cant be taken back sometimes.”

“You’re still their son Ji-Yong. Whether you made a mistake or not, they cant shun you forever. They made you.”

“You don’t understand, Dara. This is not petty drama like I stole from my mom or hit my dad. I got my sister killed.”

“It wasn’t your fault!” I cried back in disbelief that he was still holding that over his head.

“It doesn’t matter because in the end, I’m the monster in their eyes! I’m the one who destroyed my family.”

“Stop speaking for them.” I stated monotonously.

“What?” He looked at me and I could tell he was a bit confused.

“I said stop speaking for them. You’re making up excuses for their past accusations towards you and you’re talking as if they had recently said all of this to you . You don’t know how they feel today. You don’t know if they didn’t forgive you or if they maybe even forgot!” I vigorously threw my hands up.

Ji-Yong shrugged. “They’re my family, Dara. I know how they are.”

“But you’re not them. You don’t know what they are personally thinking or what they feel towards you.” I ran my fingers through my hair. “You just need to stop reading into things. Okay?”

Ji-Yong seemed to have contemplated this because he sighed, not saying anything more. I took the silence as my answer and turned around facing the front.

When Ji-Yong stopped at a red light, he took this as his opportunity to talk to me face to face. “Look…” He began, scratching the back of his head. “I know you’re just trying to see the good in all of this and I appreciate you for doing that but you’ve got to understand that what I did is something inexcusable in my parents eyes. They lost a child because of me.” I opened my mouth to interject but Ji-Yong cut me off. “I know what you’re going to say and I understand I’m their kid as well but its because of me that they lost one and instead of having three kids they now have two.”

I fumbled with my fingers, knowing he had a point.

“You understand now what I’m trying to say?” He looked at me before moving his gaze out towards the road before him, noticing that the traffic light turned green and driving once more.

We didn’t talk much the rest of the ride there and as we neared the house, I found myself growing more and more anxious by the second. I was on edge, I’m not going to lie.

I mean, what if they don’t like me? And I know Ji-Yong said that they would and I have nothing to worry about but I’m a girl, it’s what we do. We cant help but over analyze things and think things through a million times.

“We’re here.” Ji-Yong coughed to get rid of the awkward tension. I knew he was on edge and I could tell a part of him didn’t want to be here.

I bit my lip knowing that this was it and there was no way out. Nodding my head, I grasped onto the handle of the car, pulling on it while pushing the dooropen and stepping out. I shut it softly behind me, watching as Ji-Yong did the same before we walked as one in front of the car.

“This is it,” He gestured all around him. “This is where I used to live.”

I stared out in front of me, taking in the landscape of the house and all that came with it. You could tell he wasn’t rich but he wasn’t poor either. It was one of those natural, common houses you see in movies.

I smiled up at him. “It’s beautiful.”

Ji-Yong shrugged. “It’s whatever.”

I could tell he was trying to put up a front like he didn’t care but I knew that deep down inside, he did.

“C’mon.” He gestured with his head towards the door. I followed suit after him as he took slow strides across the grassy lawn and up the porch steps until we stood in front of the door.

Ji-Yong bit his lip, not knowing if he should ring the doorbell or knock.

“Knock.” I whispered.

He turned to me, his face scrunched up.

He looked so cute when he was nervous.

“Knock on the door.” I repeated, a bit louder this time.

His face fell in understanding to what I had said before toppling his knuckles against the wooden door and knocking three times. He took a step back, pulling me with him as we waited for someone to answer.

About a minute later, the door opened revealing a kid around my height with blue eyes and blonde hair. He had a buzz cut and dressed almost similar to Ji-Yong except he had on a t-shirt that read “Get reckless” in big bold letters.

His eyes planted themselves on us and no one said a word. I noticed Ji-Yong tense up beside me.

The blue eyed boy stayed speechless, his eyes holding a look of surprise and recognition.

“Si Hyun, sweetheart, who’s at the door?” A sweet, melodic voice came from inside the house.

I bit my lip just realizing who he was and immediately I felt the awkward tension.

“Si Hyun? Do you even hear me?” The voice got louder and closer and both Ji-Yong and I’s hearts began to beat ten times faster than before. “I said who’s at the do--” By now she had made it beside Si Hyun and stared out ahead to where he was staring once she noticed his blank expression and her face quickly fell, shock overtaking every emotion in her body.

We all stood like that, staring at each other for what felt like ages before finally, the woman next to Si Hyun, whom I presumed to be their mother, spoke. “J-Ji-Yong?” She whispered as if, if she spoke any louder, he’d break.

Ji-Yong rendered speechless and he stood numb, his whole body became stiff.

“Ji-Yong…” I whispered, giving his hand a bit of a pinch to bring him back to earth.

Ji-Yong his lips, finally getting the message that he became mute and cleared his throat. “Hey mom…” He winced as the foreign words escaped his lips.

Eun-Seo’s eyes whelmed up with tears as she stared at her son from head to toe. She shook her head, placing a shaking hand over .

My stomach churned as I watched his mother in complete disbelief to what stood before her eyes.

“Si Hyun, sweetie, why don’t you go on inside and make sure the cake doesn’t burn in the oven?” Surprisingly, Eun-Seo was able to speak without hesitation.

Si Hyun gulped, his adam’s apple moving slowly down his throat then back up as he nodded, slipping away from view and disappearing within the house.

Turning to make sure Si Hyun had left, Eun-Seo turned back around. “What… what are you doing here?” She whispered.

Ji-Yong let a small sigh exit through his parted lips, contemplating what to say before deciding it’d be best to just shrug.

I frowned at Ji-Yong’s lack of words. “Ji-Yong--”

“I came to visit you.” He cut me off, knowing I was going to encourage for him to try and at least start a conversation.

Wiping her hands against her apron, Eun-Seo seemed to have been thinking long and hard about something before, finally, she leaned her back against the door, gesturing inside with her hand. “Well, come on in…”

Ji-Yong looked as if he had seen a ghost because instantly, his face paled and his eyes widened.

I gave his hand a squeeze of reassurance, showing him that I was still there and he wasn’t alone.

Nodding, he pulled me alongside him, inside his house and as we walked in through the door, his eyes scanned the interior, sadness overwhelming within his hazel orbs, showcasing disappointment. “Everything’s… different.” He pointed out. “You changed the colors and the furniture…”

“Yeah, your… father and I decided it’d be best that we give the house a whole makeover…” Eun-Seo had closed the door before making it over to us.

I smiled politely. “You have a beautiful home.” I complimented.

“Thank you.” Eun-Seo smiled back, a bit taken back that I had spoken.

“Yeah… it looks good.” Ji-Yong bit the inside of his cheek. “I… like it.”

“Well, I’m… glad you do.” Eun-Seo shifted her gaze around the house, taking in what we were looking at before moving her eyes back towards us.

Ji-Yong seemed to have noticed something else missing. “Where’s dad?”

Eun-Seo froze, her lips. “At work.”

Ji-Yong nodded, a part of him relaxing at the information he had received. “When will he be back?”

“When his shift is over at the shop.”

Ji-Yong pressed his lips together in a thin line. “He still works there?”

“Yes.”

“What about you?”

“Still the stay at home mom like I’ve always been.” She softly smiled.

Ji-Yong cracked a small grin himself. “Still working yourself too much?”

“You know it.” Our heads snapped over to see Si Hyun enter the living room.

“Let me guess, mom’s always coo--”

“Cooking?” Si Hyun questioned. When Ji-Yong nodded, Si Hyun laughed slightly. “Yep. Whether it’s cakes, pastas, recipes she found online, she’s making something.”

I giggled a bit, remembering back when Ji-Yong had told me Eun-Seo’s love for cooking.

“She still burning some of it?”

Eun-Seo faked a gasp. “Now, I do not burn them. I just bake them slightly too much.” She pointed out with a playful scowl.

Both Ji-Yong and Si Hyun rolled their eyes and I couldn’t help but smile at the unison between the two. “Whatever mom.” They said at the same time and instantly silence overwhelmed us as they stared at each other.

Clearing his throat, Ji-Yong scratched the back of his neck. “Look…” He sighed. “I know this is unexpected and I really don’t want to make this awkward for any of you. I just--”

Ji-Yong was cut off completely when Eun-Seo’s arms wrapped themselves around his neck, pulling him into an embrace.

Ji-Yong seemed to have been in shock for quite some time before what had happened registered in his brain. Letting my hand go, he wrapped both his arms around his mother, squeezing her against his frame.

I put a hand over my mouth, mimicking Eun-Seo’s actions from before as I watched the two clinch for the first time in years.

“You are my son, regardless of anything, Ji-Yong.” Eun-Seo murmured. “It doesn’t matter how long it’s been. I’m just glad you came.” She cried, a few tears slipping from her eyes.

“I’m so sorry mom…” Ji-Yong whispered. “I never wanted to leave you or Si Hyun but with all that happened with Mi Hyun…” He trailed off, knowing he was touching upon a fragile topic. “And with dad, I just couldn’t handle being here.”

“I know,” Eun-Seo sniffled, more tears cascading down her face. “You did what you thought was right for you. I’m not mad, I’m just glad you came back…”

“Mom,” Ji-Yong pulled away slightly, wiping his hands across her damp face. “I’m just here to visit… I’m not back for good. I have my own place back in town.”

Eun-Seo nodded sadly. “I figured. I mean, you are eighteen after all.”

Ji-Yong cracked a small grin. “I missed you, you know that, right?”

A huge smile spread across her lips. “I know that and I missed you too. We all did.”

Ji-Yong bit his lip. “Even dad?”

Sorrow flashed through her eyes. “You know how your father is…”

Ji-Yong pursed his lips, shifting his gaze else where. “Yeah, I know.” Sighing, he turned to look at Si Hyun. “Come here buddy.” He spread his arms open wide and it took a second before a smile pulled at Si Hyun’s lips and he fell into Ji-Yong’s arms.

“I missed you kiddo.”

“I missed you too, Ji-Yong.” Si Hyun mumbled.

It was times like these where I wish we could record the perfect moments in our lives.

“You got even taller.” Ji-Yong chuckled, rubbing the top of his head obviously.

“Hey!” Si Hyun pushed himself from Ji-Yong’s hold. “Not the hair, man.” He scowled teasingly.

Both Eun-Seo and I laughed.

Ji-Yong turned to look at us. “What’s so funny?”

“You’re both one in the same.” I pointed out.

Eun-Seo agreed. “Yeah, you guys and your hair… I cannot.” She waved a hand dismissively.

Ji-Yong smirked while Si Hyun denied us.

“The hair makes the face, ladies.” Si Hyun stated a matter-of-factly.

“Oh really?” Eun-Seo raised her eyebrows.

“Yeah. I mean, come on, the looks are just a bonus but if the guy’s got nasty hair, what girl would want to touch that?”

Ji-Yong laughed next. “True. I mean, what will girls grab onto then if the guys hair is disgusting?”

“Exactly!” Si Hyun clapped hands with Ji-Yong.

I shook my head. “Wow. You really are brothers.”

“Well, duh,” Si Hyun smirked. “I’m not the only one with the good looks.”

“Hey now,” Ji-Yong patted his back. “We all know I’m the hot one in the family.”

Eun-Seo rolled her eyes as I stared amusingly at the two.

“Well if it weren’t for your parents neither of you would even have good looks so I think the real props here go to them.”

Eun-Seo stared over at me with amusement. “Thank you,” She emphasized.

“Whatever.” Si Hyun waved us off.

“They’re just in denial.” I whispered in Eun-Seo’s ear.

Giggling, she nodded. “They just can’t admit the fact that half their looks came from their mother.”

I put my hand out for a high five which she gladly gave. “Well said.”

“Thank you.”

I nodded.

Ji-Yong stared at us with pure enjoyment in his eyes. “What’s going on with you two?” He pointed between us.

We shrugged simultaneously. “Girl talk.”

Ji-Yong cocked a brow up. “Oh really? Care to tell us what you said?”

I smirked. “Nope.”

“You sure about that?” He his lips, slowly roaming across the room to us.

“You don’t scare me, Kwon.” I smirked.

“I’d beg to differ, Park.” Ji-Yong looked down at me, a mischievous grin on his lips.

I crossed my arms against my chest. “Of course you would.” I playfully rolled my eyes.

“Did you just roll your eyes at me?” He faked a gasp, tsking at me. “I’m disappointed in you Dara.”

“Sorry.” I spoke monotonously.

“No you’re not.”

“You’re right,” I shrugged, shifting my weight to my right hip. “I’m not.”

He chuckled, pressing his lips to my forehead.

Eun-Seo cleared , grabbing the both of our attentions.

“Huh?” Ji-Yong asked.

“What’s this?” She pointed between the two of us. “Is there something you want to tell me Kwon Ji-Yong?”

Ji-Yong scowled. “Don’t use my full name, ma.”

“Too bad, I just did.”

I giggled. “Aw, I think it’s cute.”

“Yeah?” Ji-Yong smirked down at me.

I smiled. “Yeah.”

“Whipped.” Si Hyun coughed making Ji-Yong hurriedly turn around as he shot him daggers with his eyes.

“Shut up.” Ji-Yong hissed.

Si Hyun put his hands up in defense. “Just saying bro.”

Ji-Yong rolled his eyes.

I faked a gasp. “Did you just roll your eyes at your brother?” It was my turn to tsk him. “Unbelievable.”

Ji-Yong laughed as well as Eun-Seo.

“You know, Ji-Yong, I’m still waiting for my answer.”

“Wait, what did you ask?” Ji-Yong looked at her.

“I said,” She smiled. “What’s this between you two?”

“Oh,” Ji-Yong grinned, moving back a bit while grasping my hand in his. “Mom, Si Hyun, this is my girlfriend, Dara. Dara this is obviously my mom, Eun-Seo and my brother Si Hyun.”

I smiled politely. “It’s nice to meet you.” I put a hand out.

“I don’t do handshakes sweetie, I do hugs.” Eun-Seo pointed out with a giggle while pulling me into an embrace.

“It’s true.” Ji-Yong and Si Hyun stated in unison once more.

I giggled, hugging her back. “That’s good because I only do hugs too.” Pulling away, I smiled.

“So, a girlfriend huh?” Si Hyun smirked, walking over to us. “She’s hot.”

Smacking the back of his head, both Eun-Seo and I laughed. “I’d watch that mouth of yours if I were you.” He scolded while wrapping an arm around my waist, pulling me to his side.

“I don’t know Ji-Yong… your brother’s pretty cute.” I teased, giving Eun-Seo a look to make sure she knew I was merely joking.

Ji-Yong’s aurora completed changed. “You’re kidding me right?”

I shrugged. “I mean, come on! Look at him.” I walked over to Si Hyun. “He’s got it going on… sorta.” I giggled. “He’s got muscles, pretty eyes, pretty good height…”

“Babe,” Ji-Yong narrowed his eyes. “Don’t with me.”

“Kwon Ji-Yong !” Eun-Seo scolded, her voice stern.

“What?” He turned around.

“Language.”

“Oh,” He slouched his shoulders. “Sorry mom.” He mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.

I laughed. “She’s got you on lock. I like that.” I nodded my head to myself, giving Eun-Seo a thumbs up.

“And I like you.” Eun-Seo smiled. “You’re good for my son.”

I blushed. “Thank you.”

“Anytime sweetheart. You seem like a very sweet girl and just like me, you like to toy with my son’s head.” She smirked, ruffling Ji-Yong’s hair up a bit.

“Mom,” Ji-Yong whined, running his fingers through his dirty blonde streaks. “Not the hair.”

I rolled my eyes at Ji-Yong before beaming over at Eun-Seo. “It’s just too much fun to pass.”

“Now that,” She pointed at me. “I agree. He gets so gullible sometimes.”

“I do not.” He defended.

“Babe, you thought I was being serious when I said I had interest in your brother.” I laughed. “What kind of girl do you think I am? I’m no home wrecker.”

“I know you’re not.” He pulled me into his arms. “Because you’re my girl and none of my girls are home wreckers.” Ji-Yong kissed my cheek.

Si Hyun coughed, grabbing our attention. “I’d beg to differ.”

Ji-Yong furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

“Remember Christie?” He smirked.

Ji-Yong pursed his lips in a disgusting manner. “Ew bro, why bring her up?”

“Who’s Christie?” I asked.

“One of Ji-Yong’s ex’s from the past.” Si Hyun stated the obvious.

“She was like my girlfriend in the sixth grade. It was petty.” Ji-Yong shrugged it off like it was nothing and if she meant absolutely zilch to him then it occurred the same to me.

“Well, I can assure you all Dara is no Christie.” Eun-Seo waved a hand dismissively, smiling broadly at me.

“Thank you Eun-Seo.”

“You thank me too much darling.” She rubbed my back soothingly. “I’m just stating the truth.”

I turned towards Ji-Yong. “Your mom’s the best. Can I keep exchange her for mine?”

“Hell no.” He chuckled.

“Well, as much as I’d love to stand here and watch you guys be all lovey-dovey, I’ve got a hockey game to watch.” Si Hyun laughed, plopping himself on the couch as he grabbed the remote from the table, turning on the TV.

Ji-Yong gasped, pulling away. “Who’s versing who?”

I stood there, confused as to what was going on.

“Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings." Si Hyun leaned back against the couch, putting his hands behind his head.

“No way.” Ji-Yong walked over, seating himself next to Si Hyun. “Are you kidding me?”

“Nope, look.” He gestured towards the TV.

Ji-Yong’s eyes widened. “Oh , this is gonna be a good game. Mom, can you make some popcorn?”

Eun-Seo laughed, shaking her head. “It feels good to have my son back.” She walked into the kitchen.

“I can’t believe you still watch hockey…” Si Hyun trailed off.

“Are you kidding me? I may have left but that doesn’t mean I changed.” Ji-Yong leaned forwards, staring intently at the TV, his elbows pressed against his knees, his arms falling freely over.

“Do you still…” Si Hyun paused, his lips. “You know… do what you did?”

Ji-Yong pressed his lips together, mentally cursing himself. Turning his head over his shoulder, Ji-Yong stared at Si Hyun. “Let’s not talk about that now.”

Si Hyun nodded, revolving his attention back to the game on TV.

“Here you go boys.” Eun-Seo walked over, laying the bowl of popcorn on the table. “I’ll be in the kitchen making dinner if you need me.”

“Kay mom.” Si Hyun called back.

“Do you need any help?” I asked.

Eun-Seo smiled. “Yeah, I’d love an extra hand.”

Lively, I followed suit with her into the kitchen.

“Try not to burn anything while you’re in there!” Ji-Yong called out after us.

“Oh, shut up!” Eun-Seo and I retorted, laughing.


Ji-Yong’s Point of View:

“Yo, Ji-Yong,” Si Hyun nudged my arm.

I turned to look at him. “Yeah?”

“Can you ask mom for some more popcorn? We’re almost done.” He held the somewhat empty bowl in his hand.

I nodded, grabbing it from him. “Sure, bro.”

“Thanks, bro.” He chuckled, turning his eyes back to the game.

I wiped my hands against my pants, walking over to the kitchen when I heard voices from inside. I was just about to walk in when I heard my name being mentioned. Furrowing my brows, I leaned against the side of the entry way, curiosity getting the best of me.

“So, you and my son…” My mom trailed off and I could tell there was a smirk on her lips. “How long have you guys been together?”

Dara shrugged, her cheeks tinting red. “A few months?”

My mom nodded, a smile still on her lips. “How is he treating you?”

“Better than I could of ever imagined.” Dara replied back almost instantly.

I smiled, leaning my head back against the wall.

“Does he ever… get out of hand?”

Dara seemed to have thought about this because there was a long pause. “Depends on what you mean when you say ‘out of hand‘…”

“I know how my son is, so you can tell me the truth.” Mom laid a hand on top of Dara’s. “Does his temper ever get the best of him?”

Dara bit her lip, sighing. “Sometimes. But, to be honest, it’s not all his fault. I tend to push him to his limits sometimes.”

Eun-Seo smiled reassuringly. “Don’t blame yourself sweetheart. It’s something that runs in the family. His father is the same way and so is his father’s father.”

Dara nodded in understanding.

“Has he ever laid a hand on you?” A stern grip was brought against her words and I could tell it pained her to say them.

“No.” Dara shook her head. “Never. We got into arguments a lot but never has he ever physically touched me.”

“Good because no man, whether he’s my son or not, should ever touch a woman.”

“I know.” Dara smiled, hugging my mom from the side. “You’ve done a good job with him, you know. He doesn’t notice it but he’s a smart guy.”

“I know he is…” My mom smiled sadly and I felt a pang in my chest. “I just wished he would have stayed despite all that’s happened…” her lips, she stopped chopping the onions. “I presume he told you?”

Dara stiffly nodded, not sure if she should speak.

She nodded, continuing to cut. “It was a tough time for all of us and I know he blames himself and probably thinks we all do too but we don’t. I loved him then and I love him now.”

“I tried explaining to him that the past is the past and as much as it’s painful, it’s got to be let go. He can’t keep bringing up what happened and beating himself over it.”

“I couldn’t have said it any better.” Eun-Seo sadly smiled. “Did he listen?”

“Of course not. You know how stubborn he is.” Dara shook her head, sighing.

“Oh, I know… that’s why I tried to tell him to stay but everything just went downhill.” My mom’s shoulders slouched. “I just wish he’d know we forgave him.All of us.”

“What about Dong-Won?”Dara whispered, knowing my dad was a soft topic.

My mom deeply sighed. “It hit him more than I could explain. He took it harder than any one of us. He loves Ji-Yong, I know he does whether he expresses it or not. They were close before everything turned upside down.”

Dara rubbed my mom’s back comfortingly.

“Can you be honest with me Dara?”

“Of course.”

“Is Ji-Yong still doing what he did before?”

“What do you mean?”

“Does he still associate with the people he had before, when all occurred in the past?”

I felt my stomach churn at the mention of what I do and I prayed that Dara wouldn’t tell her the truth.

Dara opened to say something when Si Hyun came trudging over to me. “What the hell Ji-Yong? I told you to get popcorn like half an hour ago.” He shook his head, grabbing the bowl from me and walking into the kitchen, completely ignoring the fact that Dara and our mom were having a conversation.

My mom and Dara both turned their heads to look at me.

“Hey guys…” I awkwardly waved, smiling.

Dara narrowed her eyes at me. “Were you eavesdropping on our conversation?”

“What? No!”

“Well according to Si Hyun he told you to get popcorn half an hour ago.”

“Si Hyun always over exaggerates things.” I waved a hand dismissively.

“You know someone once told me that curiosity killed the cat…”

“Hm, I wonder who that was…” My mom joined in with Dara .

“Geez mom, thanks for taking my girlfriends side against your own son’s.” I playfully rolled my eyes.

“I take the fair side, you know that.”

“Well Dara’s just reading into things as usual. Si Hyun told me like three minutes ago to get popcorn.”

“And what took you so long to get it then?”

“I had to use the bathroom.”

Dara crossed her arms against her chest, propping her brows up. “Sure.” She emphasized with a shake of her head, extending the last syllable.

“Love the faith you have in me guys. Seriously, I can just feel the love.” I sarcastically remarked.

Dara laughed. “You’re such a child.”

“If I’m such a child then you’re a because you’re the one dating me and isn’t that illegal?”

Dara stared at me, bewildered. “You did not just say that…”

Si Hyun nearly dropped the bowl of filled popcorn, laughing hysterically. “Good one bro.”

“Thanks.” We knuckle touched.

“Okay, then…” My mom gave me a weird look. “You guys go on and continue watching the game and we’ll finish up making dinner.”

“Can I help?”

“No.” Dara answered.

“Mom?”

“Whatever your girlfriend says.” She grinned.

I growled lowly. “Thanks ma, I appreciate it.”

“Anytime.” She grabbed the side of my face, leaning on her toes to plant a kiss on my cheek.

“Come on babe, please?” I begged, walking over to Dara .

“Nope.”

“Please?” I whispered, wrapping my arms around her waist. “I promise you won’t even know I’m here.” I placed a gentle kiss right under her ear.

“Ji-Yong,” Dara scolded, elbowing me off of her. “Your mom’s in the kitchen.”

“So?”

“So, I don’t feel comfortable with you all up on me. It’s called personal space.” She pushed at me chest.

“Why are you being such a right now?”

Dara froze on the spot, melancholy flashing in her eyes.

“You’re in for it now, bro.” Si Hyun laughed from the corner of the kitchen.

I shot him a look that told him to shut up before turning towards Dara . “I was just kidding.”

“Whatever Ji-Yong. Just go finish the hockey game. Okay?”

I sighed, dropping my arms to my sides. “Fine. Come on Si Hyun.” I gestured with my head out the door.

We both walked out into the living room but not before hearing my mom murmur words of encouragement toDara .


Dara’s Point of View:

“Just ignore him.” Eun-Seo rubbed my back in circular motions. “He didn’t mean it. I know when he’s being serious or not.”

“I know Eun-Seo, it’s just embarrassing for him to say that in front of you and Si Hyun. It’s one thing when no one is around but in front of family?” I shook my head.

“Hey, no matter what, it doesn’t change what I think about you. You’re right for my son despite his childish behavior.”

I broke out into a small smile. “Thanks Eun-Seo.”

“What are women for? To stick together.” She pulled me into a hug before letting go and walking over to the pot filled with pasta. While she stirred, I leaned back against the counter.

“To answer your question from before,” I my lips. “He doesn’t.”

“Doesn’t what?”

“Hang with the guys…” I trailed off, biting my tongue.

Eun-Seo looked at me skeptically. “Really?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

A smile pulled at her lips. “I’m glad. The last thing I need is for my son to be hanging around the same people that brought him misery.”

I felt a pang of guilt run through my body for lying to such an amazing woman but I knew that if I told her the truth, Ji-Yong wouldn’t forgive me and his parents certainly wouldn’t forgive him.

He had just made up with his mother and brother. The last thing I want is for him to lose them again.

Once was enough to last a lifetime.

“Dara, can you call the guys in to help set the table?”

“Sure, Eun-Seo.”

“Thank you sweetheart.”

“Your welcome.” Walking out of the kitchen, I peeked my head into the living room. “Guys, your mom wants help to set the table.”

“Kay, I’ll be there in a sec.” Si Hyun responded.

I felt Ji-Yong’s eyes on me but I ignored him, turning and walking over to the table that I figured was the one we were going to eat dinner on.

Grabbing the plates, I began to set them in front of each chair when I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around my waist. I didn’t have to turn around to know who it was. Instead, I continued putting the plates down.

“I’m sorry.” Ji-Yong mumbled against my hair.

After I was done with the plates, I grabbed the napkins, setting them neatly beside each plate.

“Babe…” Ji-Yong murmured. “Talk to me.”

“There’s nothing to talk about. Besides, shouldn’t you not be touching me right now?”

Ji-Yong moved his head back so that he had perfect view of my face. “What?”

“Since you’re a child, I could get arrested, right?”

Ji-Yong laughed. “I was just kidding.”

“Yeah, you seem to be kidding about a lot of things today.” Turning around, I pushed his arms off of me, taking hold of the spoons and forks and placing both one next to the other on top of the napkins.

“Dara…” Ji-Yong sighed, grabbing hold of my hand and pulling me towards me once I was done. “Don’t do this, please…”

“I’m a though, right? Why would you want to me near me if I’m such a ?” I spat coldly.

“You’re not a .”

“I do recall you telling me that I was or was I mistaken?”

“You were mistaken.” He mumbled, leaning his face close to mine.

“You sure?”

“Mhm,” He nodded, nuzzling his head into the crook of my neck, his lips slightly grazing the skin.

“Ji-Yong…” I whispered.

Pressing his lips against my neck, I felt everything around me come to a halt, the only one’s were Ji-Yong and I.

Kissing up my neck, Ji-Yong traveled around my jaw before standing up straight and cupping my face into his right hand. “I’m sorry.” He pecked my lips. “Okay?”

I looked away, not being able to look him in the eyes.

“I don’t want to fight with you right now.”

“Me neither.”

“Then look at me when I’m talking to you.”

I locked my jaw tight before forcing my eyes to look at his.

He pressed his lips against mine, this time, taking it slow before after a minute or so, he pulled away. “I love you.”

“I love you too…” I whispered.

Taking my hand, he pulled me into a hug, his chin settling itself on top of my head. “I’m sorry. I really am. I shouldn’t have said that.”

“I don’t care that you said it.” I pulled away. “I just hate the fact that you said it in front of your mom and brother. Do you know how embarrassing that was?”

Sighing, he nodded his head. “I wasn’t thinking clearly but I really am sorry.”

“I know.” I forced a small smile.

“Alright, all the food is ready.” Eun-Seo walked into the dining room. “Is… everything… set… did I interrupt something?” She pointed between us once she realized the embrace we were in.

“Nope, all is good.” I smiled, removing myself from Ji-Yong’s arms. “Do you need help bringing the food out?”

“Yeah, that would be nice.” She looked around. “Where’s Si Hyun?”

I opened my mouth but shut it closed, not knowing myself. “I don’t know. I told him and Ji-Yong to--”

“He had to go to the bathroom. He ate too much popcorn.” Ji-Yong cut me off, smiling wearily towards his mother.

Eun-Seo gave him a look that showed she didn’t quite believe him. “It seems like you and brother need to use the bathroom at the most convenient times…”

“Yeah, well, what can I say? We have good timing.”

“Mhm,” Eun-Seo shook her head. “Well, if you see him, tell me that dinner is ready to be brought to the table. I don’t presume you think Dara and I will be the only ones doing work around here?”

“No ma’am.” Ji-Yong saluted her.

I giggled, slapping his chest at his playfulness.

Eun-Seo grinned, shaking her head. “I’ll be in the kitchen!”

“Okay.” Ji-Yong and I spoke in harmony.

When Eun-Seo was out of site, I turned towards Ji-Yong. “Now, where really is Si Hyun?” I smirked, crossing my arms against my chest.

He shrugged. “I might have possibly told him that if he came into the room, I’d cut his legs off…”

“Ji-Yong!” I slapped his chest.

“What? I had to talk to you!”

“You didn’t have to threaten him to do it! You know you could have just told him you wanted to talk to me, right?”

Ji-Yong opened his mouth to protest but seemed to have realized my way was obviously better and ended up not saying anything at all.

“Exactly.” I scolded with a shake of my head before walking into the kitchen.

A few minutes later, Eun-Seo and I were met with both Ji-Yong and Si Hyun.

“Where were you?” Eun-Seo asked Si Hyun.

“Bathroom. Too much popcorn.” He placed a hand on his stomach.

I smirked, knowing that was totally scripted by Ji-Yong.

“Oh really?” Eun-Seo asked.

Si Hyun nodded.

“Well, I hope you feel better.”

“I do.”

“Alright then, help place the food on the table.” Eun-Seo grabbed a dish of baked potatoes lined up in a pattern, passing it over to Si Hyun.

Eun-Seo then handed Ji-Yong two bowls of salad. She then grabbed smaller bowls meant for only one person, placing the pasta inside each one before handing me two at a time to place on the table.

When all was done, Eun-Seo took off her apron, placing it against the hook in the kitchen before walking into the dining room where we each stood around the table.

“Take a seat everybody.”

We did as told.

“Your father should be here at any moment.”

Ji-Yong froze at the mention of Dong-Won and I squeezed his hand under the table, showcasing everything was going to be alright.

Right on cue, we each heard the front door rattle before being pushed open, footsteps clamping down against the floorboards as the door closed soon after. “I’m home!” A thick male voice echoed throughout the house.

“In here!” Eun-Seo called back.

Dong-Won showed up moments later, wearing a pair of jeans and a wife-beater, a loose plaid shirt hanging over it. His eyes landed on Ji-Yong and immediately the room grew thick with tension.

Ji-Yong stood up quickly, not knowing what he should do.

“What’s he doing here?” Dong-Won gestured a hand towards Ji-Yong, a look of disapproval on his face.

--------

Hey lovlies, in the past chapters i might have mentioned Ji-Yongs Parents name as something else but i changed it to Eun-Seo for his mother and Dong-Won for his father (: hoped you guys liked this chapter ! finally met Ji-Yongs familyy ! But as you all know ... hes danger ... nothing ever happen as he plans ....

-Myung_Joon