Verdict!

How Far Will We Go

Aiden felt hands creep up behind him and he yelped when they came at his face. "WAH." He quickly checked to see who it was. His grimace changed into a frown. "What are you doing?"

Jessica snickered and went to his side. "Where ya going?"

"To go to the administration office. They emailed me earlier today." Aiden showed her his phone with the email.

"Oh me too." She held her hand out. "Hm?" She was expecting him to grab her hand. She could see he was in a daze. "Hello?"

Aiden gave a small shake. "Let's wait until after they give us the verdict unless they change it on the spot?"

"..." Jessica scoffed and zoomed into the building without him.

Aiden slowly followed her with a heavy heart. What would happen to them? His fingers tightened around his phone, placing a lot of pressure on it.

"Hurry up." Jessica yelled as she opened the door.

He waved at her with a nod. She quickly disappeared within the building and Aiden looked around. All around them were students. They looked so busy with their life. Maybe they were going to class. Maybe they were skipping. He gave a small reminiscent smile as he saw two people walking with their hands held tightly together. Just like him and Jessica.

He was so dazed that he ran into the door. Literally. He rebounded quickly and entered the building embarrassed. Jessica was seated on one of the lobby chairs. She tapped the seat next to hers with a smile.

"I've never been in here before." Aiden muttered. "I've never gotten into trouble."

Jessica laughed. "What a liar."

"I'm not lying. All those times I went to principal's office was because he was the only one who spoke decent English when I was confused." He was very sincere. It was shocking then because the English teachers couldn't understand him.

"Mhmm." Jessica giggled. She didn't believe him.

"And besides. That was high school. College is well... Most serious."

She nodded. "High school... was a lot different."

He smiled recalling his adolescent days. "You didn't like me." 

"You were a lanky kid who was so skinny." She poked his arms. "They were like chopsticks. I remember carrying you to the infirmary."

"And you were so formal and awkward." He laughed. She shrugged him off with a pout. "Remember when you were locked up on the roof?"

"... Please don't remind me. Those days are long gone for a reason." She closed his mouth with her hand.

"You were much more pr... Kinder back then." Aiden revised his words a little too sloppily. She noticed and returned with a glare.

"I'm still pretty. You need to get your eyes checked." She swished her hair to the side exposing her bare neck. She pouted slightly when he didn't notice.

"I actually do." He massaged his bridge. "I might need glasses sooner or later."

"Just get lenses. Like mine." She widened her eye and showed Aiden. 

"Probably." He said while looking at her lips. They were glossy. Hmmm. He pinched himself. Snap out of it. This is a serious moment.

"Yeah. It's a pain when you first start but once you get used to it, you get lazy. I sometimes forget them when I sleep."

"Don't they roll into the back of your eyes?" Aiden pulled back as a woman walked past them with a curious glance.

"Mine always came out." Jessica shrugged. She looked at the time. "It's already passed the scheduled time, what's taking them so long?"

Right as Aiden was about to answer, a man in a button up shirt called them over. He was relatively young, at most a few years older than them. He appeared to be indifferent about them and led them down the hall to a smaller room. The name card on the door read Eric Nam.

He sat down at one of the chairs and looked over some papers. "Jessica Jung and Aiden Liu?" He gave a soft smile as they seemed very tense.

Jessica nodded and Aiden felt this weird feeling. He felt somewhat proud. Since those two names were linked together. He caught himself smiling at the man before snapping out of it.

"Yes." He quickly responded.

"I see here that you're a TA and you were in one of her classes that she was teaching." The man pulls a screen showing their schedules. "And the issue arose because you two are dating."

"Yes." Jessica gave Aiden a glance before saying. "I think it would be best if I could take full responsibility. He didn't know."

"..." Aiden sighed. There she goes again. "I think that since I'm a grown adult, I can make my own decisions."

The man raised an eyebrow at the two of them. "Do I hear some relationship issues?"

"Not at all." Jessica gave him a smile. The type of smile that meant 'move on or else I'm going to kill you.' She gave Aiden the same gaze and he shrunk a little.

Eric, however, wasn't fazed one bit.

"It says that you two are suspended for a arbitrarily long time. A year to be exact." The man gave them a stack of papers. "The university doesn't like to expell such talented students with such a lame reason as to who one can date and who you can't. We just want to be firm about that rule because of potential cheating."

Aiden and Jessica frown at each other. Did he just say suspend? Not expelled?

"Excuse me, but are we not expelled?" Aiden asked with a confused and terrified expression. He felt a little scared that he heard wrong and his immediate joy would be crushed.

"No. You two will be suspended and continue to be until the next year." The man checked his computer again to verify. "These stack of papers are other programs you can take while you wait."

"But why not?" Aiden was still in an abyss.

"We ruled that there was insufficient evidence to prove that you two were using the system to cheat." The man looked around for a pen. He wrote down on the top of the stack. "To he honest, I met my wife in college. She was my peer and she became my student once when I was a TA. At that time we were dating but I gave her some extra points. I understand when these situations come up."

Jessica was smiling and tears were welding in her eyes. "Thank you. So much!"

"Don't thank me so soon. These programs are held overseas. Possibly in America. It's a decision the board came up with. For about six months you'll be spending time in a different campus in a different country." The man started. "You'll he taking courses as usual but there for two quarters. Then you'll return here the following year and continue as usual."

"Wow." Aiden sat deep in his chair. "We weren't expecting good news like this." In the corner, he saw Jessica nod in agreement. "Thank you so much, sir."

"No problem. These forms need to be filled out so read them and turn them in with haste."

"Will we be going together?"

"I am not quite sure. It depends on where you're going to go. There are a multitude of universities sponsoring us."

Aiden nodded and continued to freak out. His foot kept sporadically tapping against the ground. "Thank you so much!" Aiden quickly got up out of his seat and bowed.

"Yes thank you so much!!" Jessica stood up to bow as well