The Man (Her Father)

How Far Will We Go

"..." The police officer sat on his desk facing Aiden, with a drunk Jessica, and a very quiet, but fuming father of Jessica. And in the corner was that guy who just came out of nowhere to call the cops. The five of them had been there for few minutes. The officer kept glaring at the guy in the corner. Maybe he knew him.

"So..." The cop started with frustrated brows. "This is your daughter." He points to Jessica and her father nods. "And this..." He points to Aiden. "Is her boyfriend." Her father nods again. The officer sends the unknown guy a glare and flicked his fingers towards him. "Come over here."

The hooded guy walks up with a sheepish grin. "Yeah?"

"Why did you intervene in their personal affairs?" The cop gestures toward Aiden, Jessica, and her father.

"He looked suspicious."

"..." The cop glanced at Aiden just to check that he wasn't suspicious. Aiden was sitting politely with hands tucked on his legs because he was afraid of her father still. "He doesn't look suspicious."

"Still... She was like drunk. She wasn't able to walk. Should I re-enact it for you?"

"Which would explain why he was helping her." The cop rebuked the guy.

"Who drinks so early in the day?" The guy shrugs with a scowl. "I was sure she was drugged or something."

"I understand that may happen a lot on a campus, but did you really have to pin him down like that?" The cop pointed to Aiden's arm. "You were using a very painful manuver."

"He wouldn't let her go." He insisted.

"Because she was drunk!" Aiden mutters in the back. Jessica's father whips his head towards Aiden and Aiden freezes. 

The hooded guy sighs. "Who got her drunk in the first place? You keep claiming you're her boyfriend, but why did she have to get so drunk so early in the day?"

"That's not your issue to deal with." The police officer slapped him on the back of the head.

"Would you have liked if your daughter had been drugged by him and was being taken to some stranger's room?" The guy jabbed his finger at Aiden.

You could feel the tension rise as a vein exploded on Jessica's father's forehead. Aiden noticed this and so did the officer.

The officer abruptly stands up and grabs the guy by the neck and forces a bow. "I apologize on behalf of my stupid brother. He is rather young. Hopefully you can find it in your hearts to forgive him and not press charges."

"I'm not wrong." The guy fought against his supposed older brother.

"But if you do, I will not treat him differently since he is my brother."

"I think that will be enough for now." Jessica's father stood up. He turned around and picked his daughter up gently and began to leave the police station. Aiden grabbed Jessica's bag and followed him out. Aiden could hear the sounds of the police officer scolding the guy as they left the building.

"Is there anything you would like to tell me before I listen to what Jessica has to say?" Her father asked after he tucked Jessica in the passenger seat of his car. His arms were crossed and his face was very concerned. 

Aiden froze. What should he tell him? Everything? Bits and pieces? Would Jessica tell him? Would he forbid Jessica from seeing him if he said anything? How would he tell him? With a fresh, oh your daughter got kicked out of school for dating a student, and that student was Aiden. Oh I screwed up your daughter's future by telling another student that we were dating? Oh where to start...

"I would like to tell you everything is fine but there's a lot of things going on." Aiden tried to give him a small smile but it didn't turn out that way. He looked very grim instead. "Things that might make you hate me for a really long time."

"Did you break up with her?" Her father asked solemnly.

Aiden frowned with surprise. "No, I would never."

"I see." Her father uncrossed his arms. "Do you think you can endure the difficult time when I will, as you say, hate you for what's happened?"

"I will try." Aiden pulled out a form that he needed to fill out for an engagement ring. He gave it to her father to see. Hopefully it made his intentions very clear.

"What is this for?" Her father asked. His concern disappeared and a scowl formed.

"Approv- blessings from you." Aiden received the form back with a nervous heart. He could feel his palms beginning to sweat. Her father did not look very happy.

"I see... When did you plan on proposing to her?"

"In a couple weeks." Aiden answered, his voice unconfident.

"Where were you planning to do it?"

"Uhh... A nice restaurant or something. I haven't planned it out fully yet."

"Do you think she will say yes?" 

Aiden could feel someone's gaze on him. He leaned to the side and looked at the car. Jessica's confused face was glued to the window.

"I think she's awake." Aiden pointed to Jessica, who was seemingly pale and sick.

"How much did she drink?" Her father asked as he opened the car door.

"About..." Round down, Aiden. "Three or four bottles... On an empty stomach."

Her father looked back at her. He was about to say something to Aiden before Jessica whimpered for a bag, a bucket, anything to catch what was going to come out of Jessica's mouth - puke... It was too late. Her face contorted into a grimace as she vomited onto the ground and Aiden cringed. 

"I feel a little better." Jessica gave a small smile to her dad and Aiden. "Dad? Why are you here?"

"I think it's time we go home."