The Happening

How Far Will We Go

"How long does it take to get a ring tailored?" Aiden stood at the counter while peering at the rings inside the glass. He was at the same jewelry store he and Jessica snuck into a couple weeks ago. It was the only jewelry store near their campus and all other ones were too far away to go to. Plus it didn't look sketchy, instead it was a comfortable store.

"Around four to five weeks." The lady responded with a smile, clearly Aiden didn't understand why so she continued on. "It takes time to get the right size and the right diamond."

"I see." Aiden nodded but he didn't understand anything she said. Wasn't as simple as just picking a ring and putting it in a velvet-laced box? But if he chose the wrong ring, Jessica might kill him so maybe four weeks would be a good time to find out what type of ring she wants. Or maybe he should just get her a couple ring and place it on her.

"If you would like, you may make an appointment with our head manager. He tends to have answers to common questions and all other knowledge about the rings."

"I'm fine. I just wanted to know." Aiden politely declined. A ring wouldn't suffice from keeping guys away. He would need something bigger, better, stronger. Something that would make all the guys and girls split like the how Moses split the sea. But what would it be?

***

"Did she say anything to you?" Aiden tapped Jessica's shoulder. Jessica was currently doing her homework and Aiden happened to stop by just because... It wasn't because he felt like Yuri would stop by or anything... Okay. It was. He felt a little worried about leaving Jessica alone considering Yuri knew where she lived. This wasn't a overprotective boyfriend trait right? He just wanted to keep Jessica company and also prevent another person from making the moves on her.

"Who?" Jessica replied not fully interested in what he was saying. She was immersed in the molecules and lab procedures due in a couple hours.

"Yuri." 

"Not anything important." She replied with a sigh, her hands smoothing out her hair. "This chem lab is going to kill me."

"Want me to help?" Aiden sat beside her eagerly.

"You don't know chem." Jessica looked at him with a smile. "I'm right."

Aiden nods with a shrug. "I don't need to know chem." 

"Lucky you..."

Aiden headed to her fridge. "Do you think Yuri will do something?"

"Like what?"

"Tell the admistration board or other scary people?" He paused to wait for her answer. Surely she would comfort him right?

"Hopefully no. The whole 'I know you so I'll pass you' isn't a thing since you don't do your homework. No matter how hard I try to be lenient with your homework, you always manage to pull off a 0." Jessica giggled. "I thought you said you were studying?"

"I can't learn when you're teaching me. You're too distracting."

"I'm distracting?" Jessica rolled her eyes. "All you do is stare into space and never answer my questions. It's like you don't care about Korean history."

"I do, but only the fun stuff." Aiden looked into the fridge for something noteworthy to drink. "Do you have any-"

"No." Jessica shook her head. "I don't have alcohol in my room."

"Why not?" Aiden frowned. "It helps you calm down."

"And makes you lose control. Plus I'm studying." Jessica dimissed. "Don't you have a class to go to?"

Aiden looked at his watch with distaste. He did have a class but he was thinking about skipping. It was an easier class so it wouldn't be bad right? "I might skip."

"And waste all the money your parents are spending to ensure you have a good education?" Jessica scoffed. "Go to class. You can come over when it's done."

"But it's just one class." Aiden lazily laid on her bed. "Can't I just take a nap in your room instead?"

Jessica sent him a glare. It was the type of glare saying that there would be no discussion and that if he didn't get his off her bed, she'd kick him out. Aiden pouted and sat up automatically. "I hate it when you do that..." Jessica didn't give any leeway. She was dead serious. He quickly pecked her lips before retreating to the door. "I'll go... I'm going..." Aiden sighed as he grabbed his bag. "But I'll be back in an hour."

"So will my roommate." Jessica waved bye as Aiden left.

Aiden sighed as he closed the door behind him. Should he just talk to Yuri and make a deal or something? Or maybe she'd just give up and be a kind hearted person without telling anyone about his and Jessica's relationship. Or, in the worst scenario, she'd tell the dean, the professor, and everyone on campus with some elaborate scheme to ruin them both. Then she'd be laughing at the two of them, enjoying their suffering...

He slapped himself. "Stop being so negative. Everything will turn out fine." He hummed a tune as he began down the stairs. He paused when he hear a pair of footsteps behind him. He twitched. Was someone following him? Just in case he was wrong, he kept on walking. And the same pair of footsteps followed. He quickly turned the corner and held his breath waiting for them. Who the hell was following him?

Once he heard the footsteps, he extended his arm and grabbed them from behind.

"Who are yo-?" Aiden froze. "What are you doing here?"

"I was just curious, I swear." Shannon raised her hands in protest. 

"Were you following me?" Aiden frowned. She nodded. "Why?"

"Yuri said you were up to something so I should check it out... Are you dating Jessica?" Shannon asked with a frown. She didn't look pissed or sad or any extreme emotion that would trigger the word crazy.

"If I said I was, would you tell anyone?" Aiden answered gingerly. He didn't know Shannon that well to trust her without asking.

"It depends." Shannon laughed. "I'm kidding." She slapped his back playfully. "Just let Henry know that I'll be stopping by this evening. And you should probably stay with Jessica tonight. We want some privacy."

"Oh you're dating Henry?" Aiden asked. He felt happy for Henry.

"I guess. He kept asking me out to dinner." Shannon rolled her eyes. "We'll see how he does tonight. He said he could show me a new world?"

Aiden cringed. "Sorry about him, he's trying to impress you."

"I know. Anyways good luck." 

"With what?" Aiden tensed.

"Jessica?"

"Oh... Thanks."

"And last thing. Yuri wanted me to give you this?" Shannon handed him a note. "I know I'm both your friends, but still you two should communicate with each other and stop using me as a means to finding out information. It makes me feel dirty." Shannon patted his shoulder. "Later."

Aiden waved bye and looked at the note. "I'm going to kill myself..." Aiden frowned before moving the paper closer. "I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF?!?!?"