A Midnight Stroll

How Far Will We Go

"What's what?" Aiden asked Jessica with wide eyes. He needed to turn her attention away quickly before she found out.

"What's behind your back?" Her hands slid behind Aiden's back with a frown. "What are you hiding?"

"I'm not hiding anything." Aiden scrambled backwards away from Jessica. This wasn't how it was supposed to go! IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE ROMANTIC. THIS WAS NOT ROMANTIC. He tossed the box backwards into the bushes and raised his empty hands. Maybe then she'd stop asking.

She scoffed. "Fine." It worked... But the ring!

Aiden watched carefully as Jessica moved on down the street. His eyes darted back to the bush and quickly scanned the bush. Where was it? Since it was night, he could barely differentiate between the bush and the black box. He was beginning to regret throwing it. He should have just proposed.

"What are you doing?" Her voice called out again. Irritation was setting in. Not a great start to the evening. Not at all.

"I thought I saw something." Aiden smiled at Jessica. "You go on first... I'll be right there."

She gave him a long stare before shaking her head to go down the street. She was obviously judging him right now. What was she thinking about? Was she angry at him?

Aiden dove into the bush to look for the box. His hands scrambled across the ground. Crap. Don't tell me I lost it, he thought. His hands quickened and he breathed a sigh of relief after picking up the black box. He quickly shoved it in his back pocket. It stuck out but it wasn't that visible.

***

"What happened to you?" Jessica pulled a leaf off of Aiden's hair.

He feigned ignorance. "What do you mean?"

"Did you fall?" She pointed at his red elbow. It must have scratched one of the bushes. Aiden didn't feel anything graze or pierce his skin but it looks like it did.

"Uh yeah." Aiden returned a sheepish grin. He quickly dusted off any other leaves.

"Come here." Jessica linked arms with him. His lips grazed her ear as he gratefully pecked her lips. "??"

"You look beautiful tonight." Aiden complimented her.

Jessica looked down at her outfit. It was the same like every other day. And her makeup was the same. What was wrong with Aiden? Her eyes were carefully keeping a guard on him. Maybe the dinner roasted his brain and now he was spewing random bits and pieces.

"Thanks?" She pulled off another leaf. "Maybe we should head back without buying the fruit. You're a little off today."

"I'm perfectly fine." Aiden felt his hands turn cold. He needed to act normal like he always did around her. But it was so difficult since the ring was changing everything. The places Jessica touched was like a slow burning fire gradually expanding over his body.

His free hand reached back to check that the ring was still there. Once he reaffirmed it, his hand came up to Jessica's hair to caress it.

"Hehe." He gave her a smile when she looked at him with confusion.

What's wrong with him, she thought as Aiden hugged her even tighter.

As they were getting closer to the mart, Aiden felt his heart grow tenfold. He needed to propose before they entered the shop. But how. A detour?

Aiden nudged Jessica down the other side of the street.

"Where are we going?" She asked as Aiden pulled her to the park.

"Let's talk for a bit before we head back?"

"Our parents are waiting for us."

Our parents are waiting for good news. Aiden walked to a nearby bench and sat her down. Thankfully she was following him.

"They can wait." He playfully nudged her onto the seat next to him.

For ten minutes, there was absolute silence. Aiden was sitting on the box in an awkward position. How? When? He quickly checked the time and sighed. He took a quick breath and looked at Jessica.

Now or never. He shifted his weight and pulled out the box. He played with it in his hands before tossing it over to Jessica. She'd understand right?

She received a black box with a frown. Her eyes darted to Aiden who told her to open it.

Her hands gently tip the box open and it takes her a few seconds to register what's in the box. IT WAS A RING. A RING. AN ENGAGEMENT RING? IT WAS A DIAMOND?!?! WAIT WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?! Her jaw drops and Aiden steps down into the ground on one knee. She feels the heat rising to her cheeks as he asks her the common four words.

"Will you marry me?" Aiden flashes another smile. She can tell he was nervous as his hands where dancing on her knees. He tended to fidget when he was anxious. His eyes search hers for the answer. She was starstruck. Her lips wouldn't move so she nodded repeatedly. Aiden leaps into the air with joy and picks her up, swaying her in circles as he shouts random gibberish.

I did it. I did IT. I FINALLY DID IT. Aiden wasn't letting Jessica go. She tapped his shoulders after three twirls. He quickly kissed her, surprising her but she returned just as strongly.

"Okay okay." Jessica smiled at him as he let her down.

"Let me help you put it on." Aiden murmured as he popped the ring off the box and gently slid it up her finger. It fit perfectly. Aiden kissed Jessica once more and felt her arms wrap around his neck.

"I love you." Aiden whispered in her ear, sending hot and humid air down her neck.

"I love you too." She snuggles deep onto his the crevice between his neck and collarbone. She softly breathes on Aiden's neck.