History of Us Part 1

How Far Will We Go

"Crap..." Aiden mumbled as he pulled on his school shoes. "I hope I don't get caught."

He sprinted across the hallway, diving around the corner, and stopping just fast enough to not crash into the girl walking.

His eyes widened when he realized it was Jessica Jung, the 3rd year class president and school's ice princess.

He bowed politely. "G-good morning sunbae."

She gave him a small smile. "Late again? What grade are you in?"

"Uh. I'm a second year." He stood straight, sweat beginning to form. He couldn't look her in the eye, they seemed so deep and piercing. Plus he was afraid that his cheeks would turn red. You could say he had a crush on Jessica Jung, the most intelligent student at their school.

"Aiden Liu." She peers at his nametag on his shirt pocket. "I'll let it slide this once, so come to school earlier."

He bows again, ninety degrees perfectly, as she walked past him. "Thank you!"

He placed his hand on his chest, to calm hinself. His heartbeat was rapidly beating. Then, remembering class, he looked around, with no one around he dashed toward his class.

He managed to make it to the third period, which was Korean history. Not that he cared anyway, he wasn't Korean. Aiden lived in Korea because of his parent's fascination with the nation's educational system, and used him as a experiment to see how stressful a Korean high school student's life was. And it was. He had to study for nearly a third of the day, just to pass his class barely.

His friend Henry draped his arm over Aiden's shoulder as they headed to lunch. "Late again?"

Aiden nods. "I couldn't find where my math homework went."

"Did you find it though?"

He shook his head. "I think I left it in my gym bag."

Henry stared at him, then slapped his back. "It's okay, Ms Hwang said she wasn't collecting it."

"Yeah. That's good." Aiden grinned. "And guess what."

"Hmm?" Henry asked as they sat down.

"The princess talked to me." Aiden couldn't keep his excitement. He laid his cheek on his hand, daydreaming. "She even knows my name now."

Henry rolls his eyes. "I think I know the real reason why you came late. So you could bump into her!"

Aiden shook his head. "She's too precious to run into."

"Who's precious?" Key asked as him and Ailee sat down.

"You know who." Henry shrugged. "Who else could it be, none other than-"

"Jessica Jung." Aiden murmured as he watched Jessica walk into the cafeteria with her group of friends, the student council and the tennis team.

Ailee followed his gaze. "You might burn her."

Aiden looks at Ailee with confusion.

"Your staring real hard." Key explains, as he bites into his chicken.

"I'm not, I'm just..." He smiles again as he looks at her.

"This unrequited love is so hard to look at." Ailee whispered to Key, who nodded.

"Why don't you join the tennis team?" Key asks. "You can be closer to her."

Aiden shakes his head. "I prefer it this way, I feel satisifed just looking at her. Plus you know I hate sports."

"Yuck." Henry sends Aiden a grim smile. "You're going to be forever alone."

"Maybe, just for her, I would." Aiden smiles as Jessica smiles. He really liked her. She was an amazing person.

"Stop staring." Ailee slapped him. "And talk to us with your undivided attention."

"That's impossible." He continued to ignore them.

"Just wait for Donghae to come." Henry muttered and instantly, Aiden glared at him. "What?"

Aiden's glare turned into a sad grimace. "Why must she have a boyfriend!"

Just as Henry spoke, Donghae entered the cafeteria and made way to Jessica, whom he sat beside and kissed her lips. Aiden stopped looking and sighed.

"See." Henry grinned.

"My life ." Aiden grumbles.

"Yeah it does. What does it consist of again?" Key asked. He stoped Aiden's response. "Staring at Jessica Jung for half the day, I see."

"That half is the better one." Aiden mumbles. Ailee smacks him. "Ow."

"That other half is spent with us!" She glares at him.

Aiden smiles sheepishly. "I know."

"Sad." Key finishes his chicken.

After lunch, Aiden had physical education, and guess who was the TA? None other than Jessica Jung. Even though she paid him no mind, he would watch her. She made the class bearable.

That day they were playing dodgeball, a stupid means of making students run around a rubber ball of air. The ball bounded his way, and Key couldn't utter fast enough, and the ball smashed into Aiden's face, sending him falling to the ground.

He clutched his face and his teacher and Jessica ran over to him. The students in the back laughed.

"Are you okay?" His teacher asked and he nodded, standing up. Jessica frowned and grabbed his arm as he became a bit oozy and stopped him from dropping.

He could feel her soft, yet strong grip on his arms. It was nice.

"I'll take him to the imfirmary." Jessica told the teacher.

She let him wrap his arm around her shoulder, and half carried him. He felt his face burn immediately, as he felt her other arm around his waist.

Jessica had no trouble carrying him. He was actually very skinny. Not that he didn't eat enough, he just hated moving around for no reason, just like how sports were. No offense intended.

He sat down on the cot and she looked around for the nurse. She wasn't there, break duty?

"Thanks." He muttered as Jessica turned to him.

"Oh, it's you." She said. "The late arrival."

He nods, his face still red. The fact that he was in her presence yet again made him fly high into the sky of happiness.

"Do you have a fever?" She suddenly touched his forehead with her hand.

He could smell the fragrance of lavender from her arm. Maybe it was the scent of her body wash.

He shook his head. "I'm not sick."

"Well, you are burning up." She raises an eyebrow, not believing him.

Aiden looked away, embarrassed.

"Since the teacher's not here, I suggest you lay down." She said, heading for the door. "I'll tell the teacher you need to stay here."

Aiden watched her leave with a tinge of disappointment. He felt disappointed because he barely say anything, and when he did speak, he said rubbish.

His heart was beating at the speed of light. When she touched him, he felt hot, and burning.

When he laid down, he sighed. "I wish I could know you."

Aiden woke up to a warm hand, shaking him. He sat up quickly and realized it was the nurse.

"School has been over for thirty minutes, go pack your things and head home." She said kindly.

Aiden nodded and headed to his class.

He passed by empty classrooms, the students filed out quickly.

When he got to his class, he quickly grabbed his things and pulled his backpack over his shoulder.

As he walked out, a girl dashed past him, bumping into his shoulder.

"Oof." He said as his backpack fell to the floor.

He stared at the girl, who held covered. Her dark brown eyes and blonde hair all too familiar to him.

"Jessica sunbae?" He asked in shock.

The first things he noticed was her red, swollen eyes.

What happened next engraved a memory that would never be forgotten.

She hugged him.