Next Mission

How Far Will We Go

"Aiden!?!" Jessica shouted. Her breath was white. "AIDEN!?!?!?" Tears streamed down from her face. 

She rubbed her hands frantically as other patrol men walked around carrying flashlights. They were searching for a male. A college student. Aiden Liu.

He was still alive. He wouldn't leave her. He would fight. He would. 

*** Five hours earlier ***

Aiden gawked. "Skiing?"

"Yeah. The fastest one down wins." Jessica swirls her spoon in the stew. 

"I don't know... I haven't gone skiing before." He scratched his head, with a pensive frown. 

"You're not going to try?" She asks with a sullen face. This would be their tenth attempt. 

"Of course I will." He bursts. "It's just. It's dangerous."

She nods, still pouty.

He leans closer to her and kisses her cheek. "I will win this time, don't worry."

"You promise?"

"I promise." He says as he pinky swears. 

She smiles. "My dad is bad at skiing. And his joints are going bad."

"I doubt it." He mutters under his breath. "I'm sure he'll do fine as well."

"There's also a spa at the ski resort." Jessica bubbles excitedly. "We can sit iut in the winter air and relax in a hot tub."

"Sounds fun." He grins. "Will you be in a biniki?"

"Yah." She slaps his arm. "I'm going to wear a one piece just because you said that."

"One piece is y too." He smirks. 

"We have to wear a robe. It's too cold out." 

"I can't wait." He looks at her. "Are you not hungry?"

Jessica pokes at her stew. "I think they out cucumbers in here."

"What's wrong with cucumbers?" He frowns as he gazes at her bowl. 

"I'm allergic to them."

"But you ate one earlier." He points out. 

"I... I dislike them." She stammers as she reaches for a glass of water. "So what if I ate one? I was tricked!"

"Do you need to go to a hospital?" He touches her temple. "You're burning up."

"Only because your touching me." She rolls her eyes. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" He stares at her with a concerned gaze. 

She nods. Her fork jabs at the chicken side dish. "Eat, the ride there takes two hours?"

"Am I driving?"

"No, daddy is." Jessica smiles. 

He turns blue. Her father's driving was a bit scary. His speedometer would not go lower than 80. Hopefully the road will be paved well and salted. 

He gulped as he saw her father open the diner door. 

"Hello, Aiden, are you ready to get smashed again?" Her father bellows with laughter. 

"I am going to win today, sir!" Aiden nearly shouts. "I promised your daughter I would."

"I like that spirit. Let's go. The sun is dropping fast."

"It is night skiing?"

"Of course. All the more fun." Her father grins. 

*** Present time ***

"How long has it been now?" Her mother asked a patrolman. 

"Around two hours ma'am. The sun has gone down, our men need to be recalled. We'll dispatch them again in the morning."

"What? That's absurd! That boy is still out there!" Jessica's mother says, her hands gripped strongly on the man. 

"We know. But the temperature is dropping rapidly. We can't let our meb freeze and get lost." He apologizes as he speaks into his walkie. 

Jessica remains quiet as her father paces around the lodge. Her mother just walked inside and they look to her. 

"They've called off the search for the night." She stares at Jessica, her daughter was scared to death. 

"Aiden is out there." Jessica whimpered as she grabbed her jacket. "They can't stop."

Her father restrains her as she tries to leave. "Don't."

"He's out there daddy. He's out there because of you! I have to find him!" Jessica pulls at her father's hands. 

"I know. But Aiden would not want you out there on your own." He said. "He's a good boy. He's not going to leave you this way."

"He's out there." Jessica cries. 

Her father draws a stern face, masking the regret and sorrow he gave his daughter. "He's going to be fine."

Soon it was night. Jessica had trouble going to sleep. In fact, she didn't sleep. She stared outside the window, the moon's glare shined on the snow. 

It happened so fast. Aiden was going down the hill and the snow under him collapsed, sending him down a hidden ice cave. No one followed after him. It was too dangerous. 

The expression he wore was heart wrenching. He had given Jessica a confused frown as the snow caved in. His yelp echoed through the cave. 

The rescue and patrol teams sent a man down the cave, it turned out the cave had two exits. They checked around the first exit before the sun went down. 

Jessica looked at the clock. It was past 1 am. Her parents were sleeping. They had to be. 

She grabbed her coat and put on layers of clothing. She also grabbed a water bottle and three bags of snacks. She put them in a backpack and crept outside. 

Her heart was not settling. The very idea that he was freezing outside made her heart rip apart. 

Her small foot steps traced quickly to where he fell through. She looked down and gulped. 

It was pitch black, and it looked like it wouldn't end. 

She would meet Aiden of she went down right? She had a fifty fifty chance of getting to him. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes as she jumped. 

She fell against the ice and landed where the team had not searched. There were no footsteps. She was around trees and shrubs. 

Her hands fiddled around the backpack for the flashlight. She clicks it on and looks around. "Aiden?"

She looks at the ground closely and spots patches of blood. The creeping feeling that he was dead was growing more larger. Her heart was suffocating. 

"Aiden?" She calls out again. 

A bush on the far end rustles. She jumps, dropping the flashlight. "Is that you?"

A voice calls out. She bolts. 

"Help." It calls out. 

She runs to the voice. Her flashlight shines on him. 

Aiden flinches at the sudden light. He frowns as he recognizes Jessica. 

"Jess." He tries to hide his arm. Too late. She saw it. His right arm was stuck under a boulder. Blood had seeped from the rock. He was visibly bruised and bleeding. 

Her steps were weak. She opened her backpack quickly. "I have... I have..."

She dropped to the ground. "I.."

Aiden called out sweetly. "Come here. I'm fine. Don't cry."

She didn't bring it. No medical supplies. She just brought food. Her ignorant seof brought food!!!!

Aiden spoke again. "Jumg Sooyeon. Come to me."

Her body obeyed as she begins to crawl to him. She couldn't speak. 

Aiden pulled her with his free arm, he winced as it taxed him greatly. "Yah. Why are you crying?"

Jessica touched all over his body, checking if he had any... other injuries... She could not look at his right arm. She would not. Her eyes avoided his. 

Aiden gave a small laugh. "At least we're together, right?"