Meeting Her Parents

How Far Will We Go

The teacup rattled in his hands. It was clear that he was nervous. He kept his hands clasped hoping to keep them still.

The stern man observed him closely. He was not pleased with who his daughter had been dating. He looked much like Donghae, the previous boy to date Jessica, and that turned sour.

"Why are you dating my princess?" Her father asked, his eyes ever so daunting as if he was ready to pounce.

"Ah. Jessica. She is very prett, I mean beautiful." Aiden stuttered helplessly.

Jessica wanted to reach out and hold his hand, but feared her father's ability to knockout people. It would be nice if Aiden made it past the night without having to go to the emergency room.

"Stop mumbling and speak clearly." Her father barked.

"Yes sir." Aiden straightened out.

"Do you only care for my daughter because she is beautiful?"

"No, she is more than beautiful." Aiden disagrees.

"What is more than beautiful?" Her father asked.

"She is perfect."

"Perfect?"

"Thank you for giving birth to her!" He bowed grandly at Jessica's mom.

Her mother laughed kindly. "That it the first time someone said that to me."

"It's true!" Aiden blurted.

"Daddy." Jessica started. "Can you be more easy?"

"Easy? Last time I went easy, you broke your heart." Her father paused to look at Aiden. "Have you heard of Donghae?"

Aiden nods.

"You want to know what that rat bastard did to our precious daughter?" He began. "He took money from Jessica, the money we give as allowance and took that to an illegal area to buy drugs."

"Dad..." Jessica pleaded.

"And you know what else? He brought her with her! Telling her to try to smoke one!" He yelled, slamming his fist onto the couch.

Aiden flinched.

"There is more that I don't want to say, we'll just call it a bad memory."

"I promise I will not be like him." Aiden swore.

His father gave a cold laugh, similiar to his daughter's. "You already look like him."

"I will cut my hair." Aiden offered.

"Aiden, don't." Jessica shook her head. "Dad, Aiden is different."

"You said that about Donghae as well."

"He's not Donghae!" Jessica glares at her father. "How many times do you have to compare him. Aiden is different!"

"How different can he be. He's a guy, Sooyeon, not a dog."

"He's a person."

"I know boys very well, I know what lurks inside their dirty mind." He points to Aiden. "People like him will just end up ruining you."

"Dad!" Jessica snapped. Aiden briefly touched her arm. She looked at him and sighed.

"Sir. Um." Aiden spoke up. "I think I understand where you are coming from."

"Do you?"

"Yes. Jessica is like a flower and the guys are the bees. Since she has blossomed beautifully all the bees want her nectar."

Her father narrows his eyes. "Where are you going with this?"

"She is too pure. I would never do anything in a offensive manner to her. I couldn't."

"I don't trust you to do what you say."

"How could I make you trust me, sir?"

Her father narrowed his eyes. "I will not trust you anyways."

"I will prove you wrong." Aiden said confidently.

"I like your confidence." Her mother smiled.

"Thank you." He smiled sheepishly.

Her dad scoffed. "Confidence or arrogance? They both are the same to me."

"Don't mind him." Jessica's mom told Aiden. "Jessica is our only child; he can't help but be overprotective."

"I understand." Aiden agrees. If some brat wanted to date his daughter, he would chop off his stick without hesistation.

"If I hear that Jessica cried, you will meet my foot in your-"

"Dad!" Jessica exclaims.

"I'm warning you." Her father stands up.

"Ah. It was nice to meet you both." Aiden bows as her dad leaves the room.

"You kids have fun while I prepare dinner, that sound fine?" Her mom gets up too.

"Would you like some help?" He asked.

She smiled. "I would, but I think Jessica wants to talk to you alone."

Jessica nodded with a smile. "Only mom understands me."

"Have fun." Her mother waves as she exits. Aiden bows politely to her as well.

Once they are alone, Aiden deflates. Jessica laughs.

"I didn't think it would be so nerve wracking." Aiden wiped his sweaty forehead with the back of his palm.

"You did good." Jessica patted his leg.

"Your dad hates me."

"Yeah. He doesn't like how you look so similar to Donghae." Jessica agrees fully.

"Do you like that about me?" He asked, a question wanting to be answered. Did Jessica like him partly because he looked like Donghae?

She shook her head. "I don't look at visuals. I look at personality, and I have to say, you're miles ahead of Donghae."

Aiden huffed a relief sigh. "I'm doing something right then."

"Dinner's ready." Jessica's dad popped out behind Aiden, flustering him.

"Yes sir!" Aiden stands up.

"I hope you like korean pancakes." Her father leaves.

"I LOVE IT!" Aiden shouts, excitedly.

Jessica slaps his arm. "Yah. Not too loud."

"Sorry."

"Oh and where are the gifts?"

"Gifts?" Aiden gave her a blank face.

"Usually the guy will bring gifts for the girlfriend's parents. It's thought to be well mannered to do so." Jessica explains.

Aiden's jaw drops. "Henry said not to."

"Next time bring two-fold."

Aiden nods. He follows her to the dining room.

"Also, my dad is actually a teddy bear. He will eat you alive." She joked. Aiden gulped.