Family Dinner

How Far Will We Go

"Should we tell our parents the good news?" Aiden pulled out his phone, scrolling through his contacts. He was ecstatic about the verdict. A year to rest and travel! He was happily humming as he was about to click call.

"You told them about this?" Jessica gasped. Her eyes were large with disbelief. "You really told them?"

He gaped at her. "You didn't? Don't you tell your parents everything? I do?"

"I thought dad would kill you if he found out so I didn't even tell him." She gave a small smile. "Do you think your parents told mine?" 

Aiden nodded vehemently. "They said they were going to have dinner sometime this week." He stopped in his place. "They will probably talk about that then." The two looked at each other with the same thoughts. As expected of such a couple. "I think we have the same plan."

"We should go stop them." Jessica agreed.

"And tell them the truth."

"Uhhh..." Jessica was hesistant. She finally responded after Aiden was still gaping at her attitude to her parents. "Fine, fine, we'll tell them EVERYTHING."

"???" He frowned at her as she zipped past him without another word. 

A smile erupted on his face as he thought of a plan. 

***

"Welcome welcome!" Aiden's mom opened the door to the young couple with a mother's smile. She pushed Aiden aside and hugged Jessica warmly like she was her real daughter. "How are you my dear?" She gently fixed Jessica's hair.

"Great." She returned a smile as she watched Aiden picked himself up off the ground. "Are you okay?"

"Jeez mom. I know you wanted a daughter but still." He pouted as his mom patted his shoulder. "I'm still your son you know."

"Where are my presents?" She extended her hands out to Aiden. "You return home with empty hands?"

"Huh?" He frowned at his mom. "What are you talking about?"

His mom smirked at him. "You should go greet your father in the living room. Jessica, could you help me set the table?"

"Okay." Jessica walked to the kitchen as Aiden's mom dragged her. She sent Aiden a helpless gaze as Aiden shrugged.

Aiden goes to the living room and spots his father watching tv. "Hi dad."

"Mhm." His dad looked at him with concern. "When are you coming home?"

"Oh, that's something we'll discuss later. All you need to know now is that we're not expelled and we get a year off." Aiden told his dad. "But what's with mom? She asked me for a present."

His dad gave a smile. "Did you buy a ring yet?"

"Huh?" Aiden smiled feigning ignorance. "A ring for what?"

"Aren't you going to propose?" His dad asked with a smile. His dad clapped his hands in excitment when Aiden nodded. "Isn't that why you asked if you could join us with her and her parents for dinner."

"Oh." Aiden looked around the room to make sure Jessica wasn't there. "I did but I don't know with it's good enough." He murmured to his dad in a quiet voice.

"Where is it?" His dad grabbed at his pant pockets. A little too close for comfort, even if he was his dad. 

"Wah dad stop!" Aiden pulled away embarrassed. "You won't find it. Wait.". He reached down to his jacket pocket. "I was going to give it to her after. I just wanted to show you."

"Let's see." His dad opened the box with a gleeful expression. "Then why did you want to have dinner with us tonight?"

"Just in case you don't say unnecessary things." Aiden answered.

"Like what?"

"She didn't tell her parents about the whole 'going home' situation."

"Oh. I see. And you're worried that we'll talk about it." His dad nodded his head. "That would be dangerous." 

"Yes." Aiden nodded. "Could you not? I'll tell mom too."

"Okay." His dad shushed him as he looked at the ring. "Did you tell her father too?"

"I called him earlier to make sure that we got his blessing." Aiden shivered. "He said that in such a scary voice." Aiden recalled the call he had with her father an hour beforehand. Since Jessica said he gave them their blessing he just called to make sure. Her dad was very firm with what would happen if he made Jessica cry. Aiden cupped his manhood in fear.

"I see." His dad handed the ring back to him as he stood up. Aiden quickly put it back into the box with shaky hands. His father noticed them. "How do you feel?"

"If you are asking if I'm nervous, I don't think I am." Aiden put his hand on his heart to check his heartbeat. He was wrong. His heartbeat was racing like crazy. "Or maybe I am..." 

"One step at a time." His dad patted him. His father was smiliing at him when Jessica entered the room. "Good evening Jessica."

"Hi Mr Liu." Jessica bowed politely. "My parents are here." She pointed to the door.

"I didn't hear the bell?" Aiden muttered as her parents walked in. Aiden rapidly stood up and bowed with a smile dedicated for adults. "Good evening!"

"Thank you for inviting us." Her mom smiled at Aiden. "It was about time you got us all together." 

Her father exchanged nods with Aiden's dad and they sat down to discuss manly things... Like sports. And most likely Aiden's proposal. Her father gave Aiden a heavy pat on the back on his way. Aiden felt pain, but managed to keep a striaght face. 

"How have you been?" Aiden asked Jessica's mom as he sat beside her. Jessica was tightly hugging her mother.

"Good, it's good to see you again." She rubbed Jessica's shoulder with a maternal smile. "You must have missed me a lot."

"I did." Jessica muttered as she embraced her mother. She kissed her mom on the cheek and snuggled into her arms. "I really really missed you."

Her mother rolled her eyes and whispered to Aiden. "She does this when she's in trouble."

"Trouble you say?" Aiden laughed nervously. Jessica glared at him to zip his lips. He felt awkward as her mother was staring at him.

"Is something wrong?" She asked Aiden.

Aiden opened his mouth to say no.

"Dinner's ready!" Aiden's mom called out, catching everyone's attention. She motioned them into the dining room as she took off her apron.