Chapter 5

Delectable Sickness

 

Today’s the day Jan Di’s been waiting for since…well, since she met Gu Jun Pyo. They’ll be having a fun night tonight. She prepared her well-treasured for who knows how long cello, she only uses this for major situations, she has another one for practices, and this one for solos.

 

 

Ga Eul on the other hand was having second thoughts on whether she’ll go or not. She’s gone drinking for two days straight, wait, let me rephrase that,  she’s gone drinking with Yi Jung…Dr. So Yi Jung for two days straight….and she had kissed him too during those days.

 

 

 

“Chef Chu, your pasta is overcooked.” Eun Sung said. Ga Eul tensed and looked around to where the said overcooked pasta is.

 

 

Gee, she’s not even cooking! She folded her arms and gave Eun Sung a how-dare-you look.

 

 

 

“Haha, I sense you’re in deep…deep thoughts back there Chef Chu.”

 

 

“No, I wasn’t, I was just…well, thinking..if, well, I guess, there won’t be drinking sessions tonight…I guess I should go.” Ga Eul said and grabbed her bag and left immediately, leaving Eun Sung.

 

 

“What’s the matter with her?” Eun Sung asked.

 

__________________________________________________

 

“I guess, it’ll just be Jan Di and the guys, so I think jeans will be just fine.” Ga Eul said as she zipped her pants.

 

 

 

She was about to leave her house when something caught her attention.

 

 

 

“Should I?” she asked herself.

 

______________________________________________________

 

“Yo, Ji Hoo, you already there? I just stopped by to grab some drinks. I’ll be there in a minute.” Woo Bin said.

 

 

“’Kay, whatever you say man, I can’t reach Yi Jung. You have any idea where he went?” Ji Hoo asked.

 

 

“Not a clue.” Woo Bin answered.

 

_______________________________________________________

Meanwhile, Yi Jung was having his immediate-late-night-dinner on a resto…alone. He was so busy with work, his operation schedule was a total disturbance to his bachelor life. There are other surgeons whom we could say, could be better than him, but honestly, most of his patients were female and most of his patient’s cases were rather intentionally done or desperately intentionally done. These types of women disgust the hell out of him.

 

 

 After eating, he went home, took a shower, changed clothes and left again his house along with his million dollar baby sax. (not really that it costs a million dollar, it’s just an idiom that means it’s that precious to him.)

 

 

 

On his way to Gu Jun Pyo’s house, he saw the least person he wanted to see… Cha Eun Jae. And clearly, shealready saw his car approaching so she tried her best to smile. Dr. So was having second thoughts whether he’ll pull over and give her a lift or pretend he didn’t see her. I still love her, he thought, so yes, he pulled over.

 

 

 

“Where are you going?” he said not looking at her.

 

“I’m waiting for a cab, I’m going home.” Eun Jae said.

 

“You still live there?” Yi Jung asked, still not looking at her. When she did not answer, a taxi arrived.

 

 

“I guess I’ll just take the cab, thanks for the offer Yi Jung.” She tried to smile but it seems like he’s not even interested to say goodbye, so she just gave him a quick nod and took the taxi.

 

 

When the cab drove past his car and took a left turn on the next intersection, he slammed his steering wheel and drove in high speed.

 

 

Meanwhile…

 

 

 

“Yobosaeyo? Jan Di-ah? I’m on my way, you already there? Araso, I’ll be there in a few minutes.” Ga Eul said and hangs up. Just as she was about to take the second to the last left turn, she heard a blast and her car stopped.

 

 

“Now what?” Ga Eul said, got out of her car and checked her….flat tire.

 

 

 

“Damn it.” She cursed and took out her cell phone to call Jan Di.

 

 

 

Battery Low.

 

“Just my luck, you are acting unreasonably today.” Ga Eul said to her…car.

 

 

She pulled out…well, she tried her best to pull out her spare tire from the compartment. I tell you, it’s not that easy when you’re wearing heels. The way to Gu Jun Pyo’s house is like desolated for how many years, there’s no one to help her. It’s like Jun Pyo’s nearest neighbor lives who-knows-how-many-miles next to him.

 

 

 

Good thing, she was a girl scout…ever since. She brought her jack along with her. She managed to remove the flat tire, now all she has to do is to install the new tire without ruining her perfect white shirt and skinny jeans or she swear she’ll not use her car for how many weeks. (Did she just ground her car? Car, you’re grounded for ruining my shirt!)

 

 

 

Okay, she managed to put the tire in place, all that’s left to do is to screw up. I mean…screw the tire up, in place. She was doing well until two sports cars came racing in the highway. She stood up, fixed herself and decided to wait until the two cars are out of sight. Gee, it’s either y or embarrassing to look at a girl fixing a tire, but since she barely reach the category of being y, she knew she’ll land at the embarrassing type.

 

 

 

Luckily…

 

 

“Ga Eul,is that you??”

 

 

Ga Eul couldn’t see clearly so she went near…

 

 

 

“Woo Bin, thank goodness it was you and…” Ga Eul said when she noticed the girl along with Woo Bin.

“Oh, this is my girl friend Ga Eul. Jae Kyung, this is a friend of ours, Ga Eul, she’s a chef and what do you know? Good in fixing tires too, want me to help you?” Woo Bin said and got out of the car.

 

 

 

Ga Eul shook hands with Jae Kyung when she suddenly felt a hand on her shoulders…

 

 

 

 

 

“Jesus! Yi Jung, you scared me!” Ga Eul said.

 

“Scared you? You know beforehand I’m here and I scared you?” Yi Jung said smiling.

 

“Well, I didn’t notice you get out of the car…” Ga Eul said and excused herself from Jae Kyung to check her car.

 

 

 

“Nice job Ga Eul, you’re the second woman I know who knows how to do a man’s work.” Woo Bin complemented.

 

“Me? Wae? Who’s the first?” Ga Eul asked and Woo Bin pointed out her gorgeous girlfriend in his car.

 

“A speed racer, renowned kart racer in Korea, fierce but with style.” Woo Bin bragged.

 

“She’s a model too.” Yi Jung added checking her tire.

 

“I see. Lucky you Woo Bin, thanks, I’ll meet you guys there.” She said and she was about to put back the flat tire in her compartment when she clumsily forgot she’s wearing an indeed perfect white dress. Now, it’s got crude oil in it…and dirt.

 

 

“Damn.” She said looking at her shirt, Yi Jung took the tire from her, placed it in the compartment and closed it.

 

“Aww, now look at your shirt Chef Chu…I suppose you always do that in your kitchen don’t you? Clumsy Chef Chu? I told you to take things slowly…smooth and slowly. You’re always in a hurry.” He teased. Woo Bin smirked and left Yi Jung and Ga Eul.

 

 

 

Ga Eu waved at Woo Bin and Jae Kyung as they left the scenery and went to Jun Pyo’s house first.

 

 

 

“This is not a good time to joke Dr. So, I really am not in the mood now.” Ga Eul said trying to wipe the stain.

 

 

“Then a drink perhaps?” Yi Jung said, trying to play tricks on her again. Ga Eul giggled.

 

 

“You really like to get me drunk huh?”

 

“Ya, it makes you nicer…and cuter.” He added.

 

“You’re a great pretender, aren’t you?” Ga Eul said and settled herself inside her car.

 

 

 

Yi Jung went to his car too, which was parked a few distances away from Ga Eul’s. He settled himself next to Ga Eul and smiled.

 

 

 

“The last one to arrive gets a punishment.” Ga Eul dared.

 

 

“Bring it on babe.” He said as he revved up his engine.

 

 

 

 

They raced.

 

 

 

 

“Ha! I knew I’d win.” Ga Eul said when she stopped by at a big gate. Yi Jung slowed down, opened his window and said…

 

 

“This isn’t their house, it’s their mausoleum. See ya!” Yi Jung chuckled and sped up.

 

 

“What?” Ga Eul said and looked around. She started her engine, but it won’t start.

 

 

 

“What’s the problem now?!” She hissed and tried her luck again. Unfortunately, it wasn’t good enough. Her car was really acting unreasonably tonight. Her phone was off and it’s getting really dark.

 

 

___________________________________________________________

 

“Ha, let’s see, what’s a good punishment eh?” Yi Jung said to himself as he parked his car next to Woo Bin’s. Jan Di welcomed him on the doorway.

 

 

 

“Hey Yi Jung, good to see you. Have you seen Ga Eul?” Jan Di asked.

 

 

“On her way here, she just admired Jun Pyo’s catacomb back there.” Yi Jung said laughing.

 

“Oh Ga Eul, she didn’t?” Jan Di said, almost laughing.

 

 

“Yes she did, she thought it was Jun Pyo’s house. Like you did on your first time.” He said still laughing.

 

 

“Who wouldn’t? It has big gates and it really looked like their house too.” Jan Di said.

 

 

 

“Just wait for her inside.” Jun Pyo called out.  

 

 

 

It’s been 10 minutes, 34 seconds and Ga Eul hasn’t arrived yet. From the F4’s computations, it will only take you more or less 2 minutes from the mausoleum to the house if you’re driving at an average speed of 20kph.

 

 

 

 “Wonder where she is now.” Jan Di said.

 

 

“There isn’t any turns and detours on the way here, it’s just a one way.” Woo Bin said.

 

“Maybe her car broke down again or something?” Jae Kyung asked.

 

 

“I’ll check it out.” Ji Hoo asked.

 

 

“I’ll go with you.” Yi Jung said.

 

 

Yi Jung then realized Ji Hoo was riding his motorcycle. He thought of riding with him and drive Ga Eul’s car on their way back. Ji Hoo was putting on his helmet when Yi Jung mounted on his motorcycle too, placing his hands on Ji Hoo’s shoulder.

 

 

 

“Ya, what do you think you’re doing? You have a car, get your hands off me. You’re giving me goose bumps.” Ji Hoo said as he started his motorcycle.

 

“Fine, I just thought I should drive Ga Eul on the way back.” Yi Jung said, Ji Hoo shrugged and they left.

 

 

 

“I am not using you ever again…at least for month, or a week…or a day or two. Aissshhh…” Ga Eul retorted. Even her phone was giving her tantrums. She tried and tried but really sweetie, if it’s battery low, you need to charge it, not restart and restart it.

 

 

 

She looked at the big gate in front of her, then a cool wind… a very cold wind blew past her. Being the tough woman she was (except for love), she decided to take a peek behind those steel gates in front of her.

 

 

 

It’s dark and she was about to step in when a beep stopped her.

 

 

 

“Where do you think you’re going?” Yi Jung called out.

 

“Thank God.” She said and ran to hug him.

 

“Ah…okay, that was a surprise. I told you this isn’t their house, why didn’t you follow me earlier?” Yi Jung said. Ji Hoo took off his helmet and waved at Ga Eul.

 

 

“My car won’t start, it’s getting on my nerves, first, the flat tire, now the engine…and she’s so grounded.” Ga Eul said.

 

 

“Your car’s grounded?” Ji Hoo half smiled and opened the hood of her car.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey Ga Eul, I’m not so sure, but when was the last time you changed your battery?” Ji Hoo asked. Yi Jung looked at her.

 

 

“3-4 years ago…I think?” Ga Eul said unsure of her answer.

 

 

“See Yi Jung? I told you to bring your car.” Ji Hoo said as he closed the hood of Ga Eul’s car.

 

 

“Why?” Ga Eul asked.

 

 

“He didn’t bring his car so he could drive you back. Wait for me here.” Ji Hoo said and left the two alone.

 

 

 

(Sorry for always putting them in the left-alone situation. ^^)

 

 

 

 

“So…who thought of…”

 

 

“Ji Hoo actually, then I said I’d go with him. But actually, I’m certain it was me who first realized what’s taking you so long.” He smiled.

 

 

“Oh really? Well…thanks. Should we walk? Is it that far?” Ga Eul asked.

 

 

“I think I like that… and no, actually not. That’s why we were wondering why it took you more than five minutes to get there.” Yi Jung said and fished out his phone from his pocket.

 

 

 

“Jan Di-ah, tell Ji Hoo that Ga Eul and I will just walk...haha. Yes, she did. Okay…Araso. Bye.” Yi Jung ended the call grinning.

 

 

“What was that all about?” Ga Eul wondered. They started to walk.

 

 

“She asked if you were really stuck here at the mausoleum. She got lost here too, on her first time. Luckily, you’re not like Jan Di or should I say…luckily, Ji Hoo and I arrived just in time? You’re not really thinking of going inside are you?” Yi Jung asked.

 

 

“Why? What happened to Jan Di?”

 

 

“She went in, when she went inside the edifice, she screamed her lungs out when she saw Jun Pyo’s grandmother’s life size portrait at the wall facing the door. Even Ji Hoo and I failed to calm her. Jun Pyo was anxious and Woo Bin was laughing hysterically. So we gave her a dose of melatonin to make her sleep for a while.” Yi Jung explained.

 

 

“That was close. I don’t recall she mentioned something about that but really…thank you.” Ga Eul said and hugged his arm.

 

 

 

“You really like touching me don’t you?” Yi Jung teased.

 

 

“No I don’t. It’s just…it goes with what I’m saying.” She said. She then folded her arms and let down her hair. It was getting cold.

 

 

“Thanks Ga Eul.” Yi Jung said.

 

 

“For what?”

 

 

“For making me feel better.” He said smiling and held her hand.

 

 

“You also like touching me don’t you?” She back.

 

 

“Aha, you’re trying to be even huh? Now I remember, thank you for reminding me sweetheart. Since you lost, hmmm let me think of a good punishment.” Yi Jung said.

 

 

“Damn, I forgot about that. Let’s just forget about it.” She requested.

 

 

“That’s unfair you know. Don’t worry, I’ll be nice.” He said chuckling.

 

 

“My life has always been unfair. It’s not counted, I didn’t know where their house was and my car played tricks on me.”

 

 

“But still… you made the bet so you should be the one to end it too.” Yi Jung said.

 

 

 

“Okay…fine. Just…be nice…don’t let me do anything stupid. What’s the punishment?” Ga Eul asked.

 

 

Yi Jung stopped walking and faced her.

 

 

 

 

“ Tell me… are you still a ?”