Chapter 3

Delectable Sickness

 

 

i think this is long... seriously, did any of you think that it was Yi Jung who forgot about their anniversary? in the first chapter? just asking. ^^

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"minna minna minna kanaete kureru fushigina POKKE de kanaete kureru sora wo jiyuu ni tobitai na”

 

 

Ga Eul woke up from the sound of her alarm clock. Yah, you guessed it right (if you guessed it) it’s doraemon’s theme song.

 

 

“Oh sh*t.” She gasped when the clock read 9:09AM.

 

 

 

She grabbed her robe and took a bath immediately. Brushed her teeth, made coffee and left.

 

 

 

Chu’s Haven

 

 

“Good morning ma’am.”

“Morning Jin Hee.” She greeted and took a sip from her coffee.

 

Her restaurant serves as usual Korean menu to Italian carte du jour. She was scanning the newspaper when she heard Jin Hee greeting their first customer for the day. She put back the newspaper on the table and put on her favorite uniform.

 

 

“Hey hey Chef Chu, good morning.” Eun Sung, her assistant cook said.

“Good morning Eun Sung, it’s a good day isn’t it?”

“Yes, indeed it’s a good day that you decided to help and cook with me today. Can I know the reason?” he teased.

“Nothing…nothing special.” She smiled.

 

 

“Chef Chu, someone’s looking for you.” Jin Hee peeked through the door.

 

Eun Sung looked at her and she just gave him an i-don’t-know-smile.

She just took off her chef hat but did not take off her apron. She had the slightest idea of who that person might be…

 

 

“Dr. So?” she said when she saw someone on the table with a newspaper covering its full view.

 

 

Disappointingly, it was Jan Di…

 

 

“Aww, did I disappoint you? Wae? You have appointment with him this early? Explain to me this instant! What happened last night?”  Jan Di asked while taking her phone from her purse.

 

 

“Ya, you left me with him last night. Where have you been?”

“Well…Jun Pyo offered me a ride home.” She said blushing.

“So you’d rather have him drive you home than me?” Ga Eul said trying to turn the situation upside down.

“Ya, it’s not like that Ga Eul, I know you’re the one always driving me home but I can’t just turn down his offer…”

“Oh forget it Jan Di, where did you go last night?”

“Ga Eul, what the devil are you thinking? We went straight home…I mean, I went straight home with him…no, I mean he took me straight home, no, he drove me home and he went home too…to his home which is…I forgot to tell you, enormously, hugely, massively, tremendously big!” Jan Di said.

“You’re actually being redundant Jan Di…okay, he looks rich. Where did you two meet anyway?”

“Well, I was looking for something for my baby when he walked in.”

“Why? What happened to Celli?”

“She’s aging Ga Eul… you know I’ve had her since…well, father was alive.”

“I see… and then? What about him?”

“Well, he’s kind of hot headed and got into a fight when the person in charge can’t give him what he wanted. He’s looking for a sustain pedal for his baby too.”

“Oooh, I smell music. So…that’s where it started? I’m not convinced. Tell me everything.” Ga Eul said.

“Okay…I told him he could try looking at Samick in Incheon. Then he asked me if I could accompany him, and he played some songs for me and I kind of played some for him too. And…to be continued. Can I have bacon and garlic bread? And a hot choco too please? I’m too lazy to cook. I have a hang over.” Jan Di smiled wide as ever.

 

“Did you even drink last night? If you’re not my best friend, I sure would have let you peel the potatoes outside.” Ga Eul said and went back to the kitchen leaving Jan Di happy and contented with her free breakfast.

 

After 7 minutes of waiting, Ga Eul joined Jan Di in eating breakfast. They were having a good chitchat when Jun Pyo…followed by Ji Hoo…followed by Woo Bin…followed by…no more…okay, just the three of them entered Ga Eul’s terrain.

 

Ga Eul sighed when she’s didn’t see the person she wanted to see.

 

“Good morning sir, table for three?” Jin Hee asked.

“Ahh no Jin Hee, they’re with me.” Ga Eul said and smiled at them.

“Good morning Chef Chu.” Woo Bin greeted.

“Nice place you got here Ga Eul, but are you close today?” Ji Hoo asked.

“Yah looks like Jan Di’s the only one eating.” Jun Pyo said looking around.

“Wait ‘till 11:30 and you’ll have people falling in line outside just for reservations.” Ga Eul bragged.

“Chef Chu serves the best lunch ever.” Jin Hee added.

 

The three of them sat on the table next to Ga Eul and Jan Di’s table. Jan Di pretended she wasn’t happy…okay wasn’t excited to see Jun Pyo and just continued wiping her garlic bread with butter.

 

“You guys want anything? Since Jan Di came here for a free breakfast, maybe you guys would like to try too…” Ga Eul rolled her eyes on Jan Di.

 

“Coffee will do Ga Eul, we only came here to invite you.”.

“Black for me.” Woo Bin said.

“Cappuccino if you insist.” Jun Pyo said.

 

“Jin Hee, please? Thank you. Invite for what?” Ga Eul asked.

“I guess Jan Di failed to tell you… well, we’re having a fun night tomorrow night. Maybe you’d like to come…” Woo Bin said.

 

Jan Di rolled her eyes while drinking her hot choco.

 

“Yes, she never mentioned anything. Wait, you guys play too?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“Violin.” Ji Hoo said.

“Double Bass.” Woo Bin seconded.

“Piano.” Jun Pyo mumbled.

 

“Oh…you guys are so talented. So…you’re like my best friend who dropped out of the scholarship just for her musical career.” Ga Eul said.

 

“Actually, I’m a doctor, an internist. Woo Bin’s in a company, automobile industry… you see my baby outside? He designed it.” Ji Hoo said.

 

“He’s a dentist.” Jan Di said pointing her garlic bread to Jun Pyo.

 

“Oh…wow, never thought of it. So…Yi Jung’s the only one devoted to his career?” Ga Eul asked.

“Ask yourself Ga Eul. Aren’t you loyal with your profession too?” Jan Di joked.

“What do you mean by that Jan Di? You want to pay your bill?” Ga Eul mocked.

“She has the skill…I have the passion. She plays the harp, violin and…drums.” Jan Di said.

“Either way Jan Di, in terms of music, yes, I have the skill you have the passion. But when it comes to cooking, you ignored your skill because of your passion and left me in that cooking school in Italy because of a late night concert. Next thing I know, you went back here to pursue your music career. Ohhh I knew it Jan Di, now I don’t have time for this. See you guys later.”  Ga Eul said and stood up.

 

 

“So…you never told me you liked music. I play the sax.”

 

 

All of them looked at the young man smiling.

 

“Oh…Yi Jung, i…I didn’t know you play too.” Ga Eul said.

“I guess tomorrow will be a fun night.” Woo Bin said drinking his coffee.

“Let’s go Jan Di.” Jun Pyo said.

“Sure, Ga Eul, thanks for the breakfast, love ya.” And sprinted before Ga Eul could react.

“I think I should go too, I have a seminar to attend to. Yo bro, how’s Eun Jae?” Woo Bin gave Yi Jung a tap on the shoulder.

“Nice question Woo Bin.” Yi Jung said.

 

“Who’s Eun Jae?” Ga Eul asked Ji Hoo while Woo Bin and Yi Jung are still talking near the door.

“Oh, Yi Jung’s girlfriend. Thanks for the coffee Ga Eul. Later.” Ji Hoo smiled brightly and left with Woo Bin.

“But…I thought she’s in…” Ga Eul said and was cut by Yi Jung.

 

 

“So, what’s for me today?” He said smiling.

“Oh…well, what do you want?”

“I thought you’re a chef? You sure know what’s good for breakfast.” Yi Jung said looking at the newspaper.

 

 

Ga Eul folded her arms and stormed into the kitchen.

 

 

“So? May I know who’s looking for Chef Chu?” Eun Sung said.

“It’s just Jan Di, Eun Sung…” she replied.

“Oh really? I’ve got something to ask.” And Eun Sung went out.

 

He looked around and saw nobody but a good looking guy reading a newspaper.

 

“Okay, I didn’t know Jan Di wears long sleeves, black pants and a coat.” Eun Sung joked.

“Oh..well, she left early…and that’s Dr. So Yi Jung. A friend of mine…” Ga Eul said while chopping some onions.

 

After a few minutes, Ga Eul went back to Yi Jung. She removed her uniform and wore what she wore before going to work. Loose pants, y shirt and flats. Yi Jung eyed him carefully from head to toe.

 

Indeed one hot sizzling chef, she doesn’t even look like 22!

 

“Lasagne Al Forno, indulge.” Ga Eul smiled at him.

 

Yi Jung started to pick on his pasta but before he could have his first taste, his eyes got stuck on her eyes as he realized she was eyeing him critically.

 

“Please excuse my face for being so gorgeous that you can’t help but stare at me like that. Honestly, I can’t eat with you loo-”

“I thought she’s dead?”

“Who?”

“Your girlfriend! You said last night. But Woo Bin asked you how…”

“I never said she died, I just said she’s in heaven and there’s nothing I could do about it.”

“Can you somehow expound that? I don’t get it…”

“She’s happy wherever she is right now, and she doesn’t care about me anymore, I’d rather think she died than think she left me to be with her…well, it’s a long story. To make it short…she lived happily ever after, the end. Can I eat now?” He said sounding like he really doesn’t want to talk about it.

“Oh…sorry. Of course… I’ll just go get something.” Ga Eul said and went back to the kitchen.

 

When Ga Eul came out from the kitchen, she had her hair tied in a messy bun, a magazine clipped in her arms and her handbag.

 

“Going somewhere?” Yi Jung said emptying his cup of coffee.

“Yeah, need to refresh my thoughts and well release some bad spirits. I’m becoming a little devil.” She said putting on her shades.

“Can I go with you? I think I want to do that too.” He said.

“Doctor, don’t you have patients to attend to?” She smirked searching for car keys in her bag and left with Yi Jung following her.

“Okay if you don’t want to. Just don’t drink…too much. It’s bad for your health.” Yi Jung said and sighed when she just gave him a beep before she could turn left on the corner.

 

She’s nicer when she’s pissed off and drunk. He thought.

 

“Oh well, at least she kept her part of the deal.” He uttered as he entered his lotus.

 

 

“Good morning Dr. So…”

“Morning Joo Hyeon.” He smiled and greeted every nurse and staff he came across with.

 

He went to his office and scanned some charts and paper works when he received a phone call.

 

“Dr. So, Mrs. Park is here…”

“Let her come in.” He said and ended the call.

 

He wasn’t looking when the door opened.

 

“Take a sit Mrs. Park.” He said not looking at her.

“Yi Jung-ah…”

 

Yi Jung stopped what he was doing and looked at the girl in front of her…

 

“Eun Jae? Since when did you become Mrs…Park.” Yi Jung said but was silenced when Eun Jae flashed her gold band in her right ring finger.

 

 

“Oh…I see, take a sit.” He said coldly.

“Yi Jung…”

“Since when? You left me 4 years ago without a word.” He cut her.

“Well…he proposed 6 months before I met you. But I was just wasn’t sure of myself that time, we were young… and I, myself thought I still don’t want to get married yet…”

“Yeah, you were always the party girl, alive and the happy-go-lucky type. So…you left your original boyfriend and played fire with me because you were unsure of yourse-“

 

“Excuse me Doctor So, but Mrs. Park…” Joo Hyeon, the nurse said nudging the little boy to enter the room.

 

 

“Omma…I’m hungry.” The boy said.

“Honey, I told you to wait for me outside.”

“Oh…so it’s really been that long huh? How old are you kid?” Yi Jung said smiling.

“4 sir, turning 5 next month.” The boy said.

 

Yi Jung eyed Eun Jae and the boy for a moment. He stood up and removed his smack gown.

 

“You see, I’m quite busy nowadays Eun Jae so can you tell me your love story again next time? See you.” Yi Jung left without another word.

 

 

Ga Eul tried to maintain a low profile and bought 3 bottles of soju and stuffed it into her car. She also bought something that really wasn’t part of the plan. She then parked her car on a location just few walks away from the overview of the city. At least the cars in the highway are noisy enough to hear her dramatic drama (whatever T_T). She sat on top of her car, opening her first bottle and drinking it all up like it’s just water.

 

“Look at me now you freak! Who’s laughing now huh? Who’s laughing now…Pabo…pabo.” She said as she searched for the cigarette pack on her bag.

 

She really doesn’t smoke. She occasionally drinks too…but she thinks, this is considered an occasion because this will be the last time she’s going to cry…because of him. She tried lighting the stick but before she could stuff it to her dry lips…

 

“You know I wouldn’t do that if I were you. One cigarette contains approximately 5-15 mg of nicotine, but it won’t hurt when you ingested only about .3 -3 mg.”

 

“What are you doing here…I want to be alone.” Then she took another gulp from her bottle.

 

“Okay, I’ll just wait for that soju’s effect.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You’re nicer when you're drunk you know…”

 

“Dr. So, how did you know I was here?”

 

“I think that’s my cue, the soju had it’s effect on you. Can I open this?” He said opening the bottle.

“You opened it already.” She mocked.

 

 

They just sat there, talked about nonsense.

 

 

“Don’t you have work today? Your patients will die if they have a doctor like you.” She said and her voice was getting louder. However, he remained calm.

 

 

“I’m a surgeon, my work is by appointments, but… I admit I took a leave today.”

 

“Why? You heartbroken too?” She laughed unreasonably.

 

“Well what do you know Chef Chu, you guessed it right.”

 

“Well I guess we’re just unlucky at love.” Ga Eul said as another tear escaped from her eye.

 

 

Yi Jung looked at her, she was looking somewhere…looking for hope, and happiness.

 

 

“So…tell me, you play the harp, violin and drums…you don’t look like you do.” He said.

 

“Well Jan Di and I have been to the music school when we were kids, she loved the cello, I play the harp… well my mom thought I was really into playing music. She guessed it wrong, I know I can play… but, for me it’s nothing but a skill… I just don’t have the enthusiasm the way Jan Di does.” She said still not looking at him.

 

“Then? How did you decide to become a chef?”

“My father was one. It just amazes me looking at him being able to do things so perfectly. I guess what I’m trying to say is… it somehow inspires me how my dad performs a woman’s job so passionately. Technically, kitchen work is a woman’s work. But no, my dad proved me wrong, no matter what field you are in, as long as you got that fire burning in your heart you’ll al-“

 

“Can you just skip the drama part? I don’t like listening to it.” Yi Jung admitted.

 

“Aish…you want to die?” She scoffed.

 

“Fine. Continue.”

 

“Nevermind. Get off. I’m going home.” She said and snatched her bag and placed it inside her car.

 

“You really want things instantaneously don’t you?”

 

 “What do you mean?”

 

“Be my boyfriend for tonight, kiss me more, get off…  You want things in a snap. snap. snap. like now. I’m not a robot.” He reasoned out.

 

“Then stop pretending to be one. A deal’s a deal. I’ll cook for you, housekeeping, room service, name it. Geez! Thank you.” She said and went inside her car.

 

“I really hope you won’t go smoking by yourself! Yeah, thanks by the way…pfft.” He said…for the second time, she left him and he earned nothing but a beep as her car disappeared in the highway.

 

“You’re really nice when you drink a lot. Hope you get sick. That'll make you nicer.” He mocked jokingly.