Chapter 21

Delectable Sickness

 

After paragliding, Ga Eul sat on one of the wooden bench at the field while waiting for the others to finish. Jae Kyung and Woo Bin went for another round, this time…separately. Yi Jung gave her bottled water and sat next to her.

 

 

“So? How was the experience?” He asked before drinking.

 

“It was a great…flying experience. But I’m not so sure I’m feeling well at the moment.” She said keeping her head down.

 

“I think you have a hangover. Still feel like you’re floating?” He asked. She nodded.

 

“Come.” He said and took her hand, drag her to some place.

 

 

In a place not so far from the para field was like a garden. Well, it was actually the extension of where their jump site was located, only it was landscaped and was planted with flowers and trees. I think it was made for paragliders to rest after gliding. It’s such a refreshing place with a breathtaking view of the mountain.

 

 

Yi Jung felt her hand…and it was cold. He squeezed and rubbed it with his but gasped when he looked at Ga Eul, looking pale and restless.

 

 

 

“Yi Jung…I feel like I’m going to…” And she fainted.

 

 

“Ga Eul…” He said calmly and carried her.

 

 

 

After a round of two, Jae Kyung was also knocked out, and fell asleep. Only Jan Di was awake when Jun Pyo told them they will be eating after gliding. Ga Eul was just feeling alright, she was just exhausted as it was her first time. Jan Di wasn’t new to this since she went bungee jumping already when she was in middle high. (it’s kinda same to paragliding too.)

 

 

 

They checked in on a hotel which Jae Kyung reserved for the whole day. They were eating when Yi Jung looked after Ga Eul while sleeping. When she was in deep sleep already, Yi Jung decided to join the others.

 

 

 

“Where’s Ga Eul Yi Jung?” Jan Di asked as she stuffed a pork cutlet into .

 

“Sleeping, I only came here to get her bag. I’ll just eat her later… I mean eat dinner with her later.” Yi Jung corrected when he saw Jan Di plunging the knife angrily at the pork cutlet.

 

“I hope I heard you right Yi Jung.” Jan Di said as she took another bite.

 

“Looks like you have a hangover too.” Woo Bin joked.

 

“Major headache. See you later.” He said as he clutched Ga Eul’s bag and went back to the room. 

 

 

He settled himself on the mini divan in the room and fell asleep too. Just then, a few minutes after, Ga Eul woke up with the sound of her phone. Yi Jung was in deep sleep to be awakened too.

 

 

“Hmm…Yobosaeyo?” She answered lazily.

 

“Chef Chu? Where are you?” Eun Sung asked in a worried voice.

 

“I’m with Jan Di and the others. Wae? Is there a problem?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“A group of guys came and messed the whole place, one of our waiters, In Sook was in debt and looks like they found out he was working here. The whole place is a mess I tell you and In Sook’s in the hospital, he was beaten badly. They took all the cash and even stole one of our delivery trucks. You told me to take charge, but seems like I can’t take charge.”

 

 

Ga Eul’s eyes widened when she heard everything.

 

 

 

“Yi Jung-ah, wake up.” She tried to wake him gently.

 

 

Yi Jung slowly opened his eyes and looked around.

 

 

“Ga Eul, you okay? What time is it?” He asked, she nodded.

 

“I’m fine… it’s already 7pm, I have to go back, I have a problem back at the resto. A bunch of guys messed up the whole place. One of my waiter’s at the hospital and all the cash was taken too. Could you please give me a ride to the train station?”

 

 

He chuckled and touched her cheek.

 

 

“Silly, would you really think I’lll let my wife ride the train alone at this time of night? I’ll take you back.”

 

“Hurry.” She said and put on her coat.

 

 

 

They met Woo Bin and Jae Kyung on the way but unfortunately, the two were drunk and making out and didn’t notice them. They headed the opposite way instead.

 

 

Yi Jung got a black car and started to drive. It’s a two hour drive from Seoul, so… it’s quite a long drive.

 

 

 

“So what did you say those guys were doing at your café?” Yi Jung said while driving.

 

 

“One of our waiters was in debt, when they found out he was working there, they started beating him up and messed the place. Eun Sung said those guys took all the cash too.”

 

 

“What are you planning to do when you get there?”

 

 

“I don’t know, if they took the cash for today’s earnings, I could let them pass for now, but if they took the whole month’s savings, I’ll have them jailed forever.” She retorted.

 

 

“Calm down. We’ll solve it soon.”

 

 

“We?”

 

 

“Of course, you wouldn’t think I’ll let you deal with that alone right?” He said and smiled at her.

 

 

“Thanks.”

 

 

It was a quiet drive with a few casual questions and answers.

 

 

 

When they arrived at the resto, they caught Eun Sung sweeping the floor and Jin Hee picking some broken pieces of glass and plates. Ga Eul huffed when she saw the place. The one she and her father worked hard for. It didn’t look like a restaurant anymore. Even the door to the kitchen was busted, the tables, chairs and tapestries weren’t in their proper places and the glass windows were shattered too. Eun Sung said those guys used baseball bats, kicking and hitting everything that comes their way.

 

 

Ga Eul just looked around without saying a word, she didn’t expect it’ll be far more worse than what she imagined. Yi Jung placed both his hands on her shoulders. She didn’t look back at him as she shed a tear. She then heard Yi Jung talking.

 

 

 

“Yes, this is Dr. So Yi Jung, I’d like to speak to Chief Jung now.”

 

 

Ga Eul turned around and looked at him as he was waiting for that Chief Jung he requested earlier. He wiped away that tear in her cheek and smiled.

 

 

 

“Chief Jung, it’s been a while. Yes, I’d like you to investigate about something. Drop by my office tomorrow.”

 

 

 

When he saw Ga Eul shedding another tear or two, he quickly pulled her into an embrace and kissed her forehead. He patted her head and her hair, like he was comforting her. He nodded and gave Chief Jung a few more instructions before he ended the call.

 

 

 

“Why don’t you stop caring about me?”

 

 

“I told you, I love you.” He chuckled at her silliness in the middle of the situation.

 

 

“For real?” she asked, flashing her puppy eyes.

 

 

“Of course, you dim-witted silly clumsy girl.” He said and hugged her even tighter.

 

 

“But you’re not my type.” She said and Eun Sung made a fake cough.

 

 

 

“You can rest guys, for now. I’ll take care of this tomorrow. I’ll just send you further notice whether you’ll come tomorrow or not. Thanks a lot for your concern, everybody. Goodnight.” Yi Jung said.

 

 

“For real sir? ‘Cause  I really have to go home by now. I only paid the babysitter for 8 hours.” Jin Hee said.

 

 

“Yes Jin Hee, thanks, I’ll take it from here.” Yi Jung said and with that, they all left. Yi Jung let Ga Eul sit on a vacant chair.

 

 

 

“The money, I have to check the money.” She said and went to the counter to check the steel cabinet.

 

 

“You should deposit that in the bank Ga Eul.” Yi Jung said.

 

 

“We do, every month we do deposit.” She said and jumped for joy when she found the money still intact.

 

 

“Aah Yi Jung, it’s here. It’s still here, thank God.” She said and closed back the box. Yi Jung smiled when at last the tears of sadness in her eyes earlier are now replaced with tears of joy.

 

 

 

It was almost midnight when the two of them finished cleaning. Ga Eul then suddenly felt hungry (both of them hadn’t eaten their dinner yet.)

 

 

 

“I’ll go get something to eat, wait for me okay?” Yi Jung said. She nodded and he left.

 

 

She got the box and counted the money. She decided she’ll deposit it all tomorrow. After counting, she placed all the money in her bag and put in on the long bench, covered it with her coat and lied down. She fell asleep for a few minutes.

 

 

Meanwhile, Yi Jung decided to go fastfood since he doesn’t want Ga Eul to wait for the food to be cooked. He knows how hungry she is for she hasn’t eaten any since this afternoon. He too, is hungry that he could eat five pieces of ogyeopsal. He got stuck with a group of kids ordering at McDonalds, this time of night. He was irritated as he tapped his fingers on the table.

 

 

 

 On the other hand, two motorcycles came and unfortunately they weren’t done with their business just yet. Ga Eul was sleeping soundly when two guys threw in a bottle of alcohol with a strip of cloth at its mouth. They lit it with fire and threw inside the place. The other guys poured alcohol and liquor all around the place and ignited a match before finally leaving. The fire crept its way up to the walls of the structure. After a few seconds, the fire grew bigger as it totally invaded the wooden doors of the restaurant. Ga Eul still hadn’t notice the engulfing fire around her until she heard a loud bang of the window clashing due to the heat of the fire. She woke up and startled. She looked around but fire was already dominant. She hurriedly went to the counter to get the papers, certificates and the framed picture of her and her father before it gets eaten by the fire.

 

 

 

She finally got the necessary papers and certificates hanged near the counter. When she tried to retrieve the photo of her and her father, the chair she was stepping on suddenly collapsed and so did she when she hit her head on the cupboard.

 

 

 

Finally, Yi Jung managed to get what he ordered and was about to get in the car when…

 

 

 

“Dr. So?”

 

 

 

He looked around and saw…

 

 

 

“Dr. Choi… Soo Young, nice to see you. When did you arrive?”

 

 

“Just now, that’s why I decided to have a late night snack, how about you?”

 

 

“Having a late night dinner too.”

 

 

“For two?” She said eyeing the bag he was holding.

 

 

“Yes, with my girl…wife. My wife.” He said and automatically flashed his ring.

 

 

“Oh…I see. How lucky. Congratulations.”

 

 

“Dr. Choi, it was really nice seeing you. I’ll just see you at the opening, I have to rush…home now.”

 

 

“Very well then, bye.” She bowed and went inside.

 

 

 

When Yi Jung exited the parking lot, a firetruck came in heading to the direction where he was going…to her place.

 

 

 

“I have a bad feeling about this…” he said and sped up.

 

 

 

Ga Eul was saved and so were the documents and the picture she was trying to retrieve. She lied unconscious with an oxygen mask inside the paramedic truck. Yi Jung arrived and screamed out her name loudly.

 

 

 

“Ga Eul! Ga Eul! My wife is there. My wife is there.” He said to one of the firemen.  The fireman raised his eyebrow on him.

 

 

“It says she’s single.” The man looked at him suspiciously while holding her driver’s license. They scanned her bag for her identity.

 

 

“I’m her husband really!” He said and AGAIN, automatically flashed his ring. (Really Yi Jung, you’re so fond of showing off your ring aren’t you?)

 

 

The fireman pointed out the paramedic truck. “She’s there.” And Yi Jung hurriedly went there.

 

 

 

“Ga Eul, what happened?” He said squeezing her hand.

 

 

“Dr. So, you know her? She’s fine, she just passed out.” The medic volunteer said.

 

 

“Of course, she’s my wife.” He said and showed both their rings.

 

 

“Oh…I see.”

 

 

“Who did this Ga Eul?”

 

 

“I don’t know, the fire was big already when we arrived.”

 

 

“Are you hurt?”

 

“No, not at all, she doesn’t have any burns. Just inhaled too much smoke I think.”

 

 

“I’m asking her for goodness’ sake! Why are you the one answering?”

 

 

“Sorry.” The volunteer apologized and left the truck.

 

 

 

Yi Jung took Ga Eul’s phone and dialed Jan Di’s number but it was out of reach. He tried calling Jun Pyo too but he won’t answer it. After the firemen had put out the fire, Yi Jung requested that he’ll take responsibility of her since he’s the “closest/significant other”. (Aren’t you a being a bit too possessive of her Dr. So?) He was contemplating if he’ll bring her to his or her house.

 

 

 

“I’m only after your safety Ga Eul.” He said and decided to take her home…his home.