Chapter 13

Delectable Sickness

It was 6AM and Ga Eul fell asleep on the couch. Yi Jung woke up with the sound of Jae Hwan crying. He hurriedly went to the room where Jae Hwan and his babysitter-for-the-night stayed.

 

 

“Hey there baby, up early?” He smiled at the sight of Jae Hwan grabbing his ChuChu.

 

“Yeah…but he’s fine when his bear’s around.” The babysitter said.

 

“Thanks so much. I can take it from here.” Yi Jung said and handed her the payment.

 

 

Ga Eul woke up and saw someone carrying Jae Hwan (drinking his milk, which was prepared by the babysitter before she left.). She smiled.

 

 

“Hey baby, did you miss mommy?” She said and was caught off guard when she realized it was Yi Jung who was carrying Jae Hwan. She composed herself.

 

 

“Mommy? Wake up Ga Eul, you’ve been dreaming a lot these days. Pfft.” He joked and played with Jae Hwan.

 

“I was just…practicing. Anyway, I better go home now and freshen up.” She said and tied her hair.

 

“Sure…after you make breakfast.” He said and went to the living room.

 

“Oh…right, I forgot. So…you live alone huh?” She said and went to HIS kitchen.

 

“Hmm-mm.” He answered.

 

 

It was almost 10AM when Ga Eul left Yi Jung and Jae Hwan. When she got home, she took a bath immediately. She got all of her dresses in her wardrobe. Proud that she bought it all with her own money, she dreamily tried each dress and posed in front of the mirror. Thinking she can’t decide this alone…she called her best friend… her girl best friend, Jan Di.

 

 

“Jan Di-ah, you already have something to wear for tonight?” GE asked.

 

“Ga Eul, yes, Jun Pyo bought me a silver designer Sue Wong dress from overseas. It’s really beautiful, he also bought me a-“

 

“Designer dress?” Ga Eul said and she looked at all the garments hung inside her wardrobe.

 

“Ga Eul-ah, are you listening?”

 

“Ehh…yes, I gotta go Jan Di. See you later.” Ga Eul said and hung up.

 

 

She looked inside her wallet.

 

 

“Do I really need to?... Aissshh, Yi Jung you owe me big time.” She said to herself on the thought of buying one for herself. Then her phone rang…

 

 

“Yobosaeyo?”

 

“If you mind, hurry up…we still have lots to do.” Yi Jung said on the other line followed by the loud honk of his car outside.

 

 

Ga Eul ended the call and looked outside. He was there waiting… She then grabbed her bag and left. When she got in the car, Jae Hwan made a bubbly noise at the backseat.

 

 

“Hey there cutie…so, where are we going?”  Ga Eul said giving Jae Hwan a soft pinch on his cheek.

 

“Shopping.” He winked.

 

 

Time has passed so quickly when the “fake” family shopped for what they’ll be using for tonight’s event. Yi Jung bought a tux, and a stroller for Jae Hwan. He had a hard time choosing Ga Eul’s gown, since she won’t wear anything exceeding her annual income. But after a few tries, they finally settled on an antique beaded silk dress. They were in the car…

 

 

“So where are we heading now before the big night?” Ga Eul asked. Then Yi Jung got out of the car and called someone over the phone. After a few smiles and nods, he went back in his car.

 

 

“Who’s that?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“Nothing, I just need to fix something before the party.” He said and started to drive. Ga Eul looked around to where they’re heading and realized they were going to Jin Hee’s house.

 

“What are we doing here?” She asked.

 

“Let’s give Jae Hwan some time with his mommy first before we borrow him again for tonight…for the mean time, his fake daddy needs some time with his fake his mommy.” He said.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Just wait.” He said, got out of his car and took Jae Hwan.

 

 

 

 Ji Hoo arrived and met his two other friends with their girlfriends in the walkway to the house. He distracted himself from the thought about him being single. All of his friends were blessed with partners they’ll share their life with, except for Yi Jung of course, who’s still going through the process of “moving on”.

 

 

JAN DI -

JAE KYUNG -

 

 

“Hey man, nice suit you got there.” Woo Bin joked, Ji Hoo, as usual wearing white tux remained composed and scanned the whole place.

 

“Where are the best actor and best actress for tonight?” Jae Kyung asked.

 

“No signs of them yet.” Jun Pyo said and looked around.

 

 

“Thanks so much for coming to my engagement party. I hope you have…uh where’s Yi Jung?” Eun Jae asked.

 

“Uhmmm…they…they’re on their way now…” Jan Di answered.

 

 

“We’re here…”

 

 

Then all of them turned to look at the two…I mean three good looking faces. Yi Jung was smiling brightly, Ga Eul looking uneasy and Jae Hwan looking clueless as ever.

 

 

GA EUL was wearing this -

 

 

“Oh there’s my cute nephew.” Ji Hoo said and went to get Jae Hwan.

 

“Yi Jung, what a surprise…” Eun Jae said and stared at the gold bands in the “couple’s” ring fingers.

 

“Yes, Eun Jae thanks for inviting us…meet my fiancé, Ga Eul.” Yi Jung said and took Jae Hwan from Ga Eul.

 

“Hi…nice to meet you. Congratulations.” Ga Eul lovingly greeted. Eun Jae observed for signs of pretenses but found none.

 

“I’m happy you’re all here. I have more guests, please excuse me. Enjoy.” She said and left.

 

“Whew….that was close.” Ga Eul said and squeezed Jan Di and Jae Kyung’s hand.

 

“Stay focused Ga Eul. This isn’t done until we’re gone.” Yi Jung reminded.

 

“I know…” She said but Jan Di held her hand and stared at the shining gold ring in her right ring finger.

 

“Could you please explain this to me when we get home Ga Eul? I do not remember we discussed anything about this.” Jan Di said and Jae Kyung laughed.

 

“At least that was a pretty good tactic. It really sounds convincing… if I didn’t know, I would have surely believed too.” JK.

 

“I need to go to the bathroom.” Ga Eul said and the three of them left leaving Jae Hwan with his fake daddy and fake god-daddies.

 

 

In the ladies’ room…

 

 

Jae Kyung and Jan Di were retouching their make ups while waiting for Ga Eul to finish. Actually, Ga Eul just needed to adjust the body shaper she wore, she pinned the lock too tightly. Just then, Woo Bin and Jun Pyo called from the door outside.

 

 

“They’re about to start, hurry up.” Woo Bin said.

 

“We’ll be right there.” Jae Kyung said.

 

“You done yet Ga Eul?” Jan Di asked.

 

“Just go, I’ll catch up with you guys.” She said.

 

“You sure?” Jae Kyung asked.

 

“Yeah.” So Jan Di and Jae Kyung left. Just then…two girls entered the ladies’ room.

 

 

“I just don’t get the fact why she has to marry that old man.”  One girl said.

 

“I heard them saying that the wife of her fiancé is in terminal stage for cancer. If I were his wife, I would surely kill him for cheating on me when I’m still alive.” The other girl said.

 

“But still… Eun Jae shouldn’t have accepted the proposal. It’s like…she accepted to be the mistress of the king since the queen is dying, but even if it was for the boy, he’s not her real son, she doesn’t have the obligation yet she treats him as her own. The boy never met his mother because of her illness. She was always in the hospital…and Eun Jae was the one to take care of him, taking him in like he’s her own son.”

 

“And now…he will be. ‘Cause she’s marrying the boy’s father.”

 

“I also heard that Eun Jae’s ex-boyfriend is here…Dr. So Yi Jung, one of the most sought bachelors in town.”

 

“Yeah…stupid of her to let someone like him go…and…replace him with an old man.”

 

“Trust me…it’s all because of money. Let’s go.” And with that, the two girls left.

 

Inside one of the cubicles, was Ga Eul… who made no noise as she heard everything the two girls just said. Trying to NOT believe what she just heard, she got out of the cubicle and looked at herself for one last time in the mirror and went to join the others. When Ga Eul joined them, they saw HIM. With Eun Jae was a…well, he looked like 20-30 years older than her. They were descending the staircase and everyone clapped their hands. Eun Jae started a speech.

 

 

“Hello everyone, thank you all for coming, and for your good wishes. Not only have our close family and friends chosen to celebrate with Kwon Soo and I today, but family from Anyang and Bucheon, have made a special effort to be here. Your presence is the best present Kwon Soo and I could ask for. There are a myriad of people whom I want to thank tonight. Saving the best for last, my new husband-to-be Kwon Soo, (Eun Jae looked at him) I would like to propose a toast to you. My dream was to find a man who would understand me without me uttering a single word. A man whose values and spirit matched my own. If I could have just one wish, I would wish to wake up every day to the sound of your breath on my neck, the warmth of your lips on my cheek, the touch of your fingers on my skin, and the feel of your heart beating with mine. Knowing that I could never find that feeling with anyone other than you. Honey, thank you for being you! (she turns to guests) And thank you everyone. I hoped it would be a perfect night, and it is. Cheers!"

 

 

Everyone clapped their hands and cheered for the couple. Ga Eul felt uneasy, indeed, it seems so unusual for Eun Jae to marry such an old man. But…she stopped herself before judging Eun Jae. She doesn’t know her so she won’t in. They had a cocktail after the dinner and a few chitchats. They were trying their best to keep out of sight so Eun Jae would interrogate no further about Jae Hwan… but failed.

 

 

“Cute little baby, what’s your name?” Eun Jae asked little Jae Hwan who was with his fake god-daddy Song Woo Bin. Being the coolest of the group, he tried to keep it natural.

 

“It’s Aunt Eun Jae baby, tell her, my name is…So Jae Hwan.” Good thing, Jae Hwan giggled.

 

“Aww, what a cute name. Where’s Yi Jung and Ga Eul?” Eun Jae asked.

 

“I think they’re at the pool…” Woo Bin said and turned to his girlfriend when Eun Jae left.

 

“You did great, you look like a choked gay, trying to sound cute.” Jae Kyung teased.

 

 

 

Little did Eun Jae know, all of them were ready for her confrontations. Yes, they were trying to avoid her but they were actually ready when the situation calls for it. ^^

 

 

Eun Jae peeked from the garden hall and saw Yi Jung and Ga Eul together. Yes, she’s getting married because of one reason, and she can’t tell HIM about it. She only wants him to be happy even if it hurts her a lot so she tried her best and sacrificed everything even her own happiness. But that’s okay… she put it in her mind that one day, she’ll finally learn to love her soon-to-be-husband. But wait, there’s a part of her that’s jealous…and it’s really dominant. And now, since this is her night, she has to prove one thing first.

 

 

(A/N: So…yes, she’s still in love with Yi Jung.)

 

 

Yi Jung received a text message from Woo Bin.

 

 

It’s up to you. She’s looking at the two of you now. She’s done with Jae Hwan.

 

 

After reading the message, he held Ga Eul’s hand.

 

 

“This is it. Do your best.” He smiled.

 

“I just don’t understand why we have to do this.” Ga Eul said.

 

“Just do it.” Yi Jung said and heard the echoing of the microphone. The two of them looked at the mini stage in the garden hall.

 

 

 

“Everyone, I believe, it’s not only us who’s celebrating their engagement party tonight.” Eun Jae said and all seven of them looked at each other (F4, Jan Di, Jae Kyung and Ga Eul).

 

 

“A special friend of mine is also here…with his fiancé, Yi Jung and Ga Eul? Can you join me please?” She said and scanned the crowd. Ga Eul held Yi Jung’s hand tightly, like it was telling him please don’t.

 

 

“Yi Jung…I promise I’ll be your slave forever just please don’t do this. You won’t let us go in public right?” Ga Eul said.

 

“We started this already Ga Eul, let’s just go through with it. I won’t leave you halfway, I promise. Please.” He said and kissed her forehead causing Jan Di to raise an eyebrow and a…5” heel??

 

 

Yi Jung lead Ga Eul (holding her by the waist) and joined Eun Jae where they can be seen by all the people in the hall.

 

 

“So…Yi Jung and Ga Eul, let’s toast for a new beginning ahead of us. Cheers!” Eun Jae said and drank her wine and kissed her fiancé. Ga Eul looked at Yi Jung as if asking him if she should do it too. She emptied her glass, smiled at the people and cupped Yi Jung’s face and kissed him. Yi Jung wasn’t shocked, he was used to kissing her… I mean, he had kissed her before so there’s no need to be shocked at the moment. Everyone clapped their hands. Yi Jung held Ga Eul’s hands and whispered a “thank you” with a light kiss on her cheek.

 

 

Eun Jae seemed to prove it already. They’re indeed a couple, I can’t see a trace of pretense in their eyes. They would have been best actors and actresses if this were all an act. I’m happy for you Yi Jung…she thought.

 

 

The party had ended and they both went their separate ways. Yi Jung and Ga Eul dropped the sleeping Jae Hwan to his mommy.

 

 

“Thanks so much Jin Hee for the help.” Ga Eul said as she handed Jae Hwan to Jin Hee. Yi Jung then brought the stroller in.

 

“What’s this?”  Jin Hee asked.

 

“Ah…I bought this earlier. Jae Hwan likes this so much.” Yi Jung said.

 

“Oh…thank you so much.” She said.

 

“We should be the one thankful Jin Hee. Anyways, it’s getting late, I’ll just see you at work. We’re going then.” Ga Eul bid.

 

 

At the car…

 

 

“So...finally, we’re done with your problem. I can finally go to sleep.” Ga Eul said.

 

“Thanks.” Yi Jung said and pinched her cheek.

 

“Ow, ya, you really should think first before you speak.”

 

“I know…I’m sorry… but thank you…really.” Yi Jung smiled.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

“I’m happy you’re here for me Ga Eul.” He said.

 

“Well…I’m happy too.” She smiled.

 

“Shall I take you home then?” He started the engine.

 

 

When they arrived at Ga Eul’s house, Yi Jung walked her to her doorstep.

 

 

 

“Goodnight Ga Eul.” He said.

 

“Oh…goodnight. Ehhh…thanks.” She said and was about to take off the ring when he stopped her.

 

“Don’t. Please keep it. It might be a fake one, but I had it made for the both of us. So…it’s ours. We might be a fake couple, but in the eyes of others, we aren’t.” He said and shoved her hand away. He was about to go back to his car when she called.

 

“Say…would you like to sleep with me for tonight? I mean… I could use some company.”

 

 

He turned around and smiled.

 

 

“I…I’d love too.” He said.

 

“Just promise me one thing will you?”

 

“What is it?” He asked.

 

“Can you kiss me again?” She joked.

 

“Tsk…you really are funny Ga Eul. Thanks for the kiss by the way…during the toast.” He chuckled.

 

“I was joking…okay? Just promise me you won’t cry again… okay?” She smiled and gave him a hug. Then they went inside.