Chapter 23

Delectable Sickness

 

Yi Jung had to attend a seminar again and it was unfortunately scheduled on their fun night. Yi Jung managed to inspire Ga Eul in playing the violin again. Actually, it was because of an “accidental deal” they’ve made.

 

 

FLASHBACK:

 

 

It was a beautiful day for Ga Eul, why? Because everything is being settled. She already talked to some lawyers regarding her place’s insurance costs and the case of the people behind it. As of now, she doesn’t have any source of income, and so are her employees. She feels bad of course, not being able to help them, but Eun Sung and Jin Hee reminded her that it’s not her fault at all. They all understood very well what had happened and said that they’re always there whenever she needed help.

 

 

She was washing her clothes when her doorbell rang… She checked it…

 

 

 

“Hey how are you?” Yi Jung smiled and kissed her cheeks and went straightly to the kitchen.

 

 

“Serve yourself, I still have to wash this, just reheat this in the oven, I just prepeared it this morning.” She said while giving Yi Jung the plastic container

 

 

 

Yi Jung placed the container in the oven. He filled his mug with coffee and waited for the oven to click. Ater he heard that ring sound, he got the container and ate the sandwhich haven Ga Eul prepared earlier. He looked at Ga Eul from the window as she was trying to wash the big curtains.

 

 

He sipped from his coffee again and took a bite. It’s already 8:45am and he has an appointment at 10. He made his last bite and threw the plasticware to trash. He folded his sleeves and went out.

 

 

 

“Let me do it.” He said and took the heavy garment from her.

 

 

“Ya, you’ll wet your suit.” She said and wiped her hands. She folded his sleeves higher.

 

 

“That should do the trick, thought you’re going to stop me.” He smiled and touched her nose causeing her to sprinkle some bubbles with him too.

 

 

“Ya! My suit, hey!” he said and hugged & carried her making him wet all over.

 

 

“It’s your fault, ya! Ah Yi Jung!” she said when Yi Jung held her waist tighter.

 

 

 

Yi Jung put her down and they both laughed.

 

 

 

“Go now shoo! You’re interrupting my work, don’t you have any appointments today?” she asked.

 

 

“I do but it’s not really that important.”

 

 

“What kind of appointment is not that important?”

 

 

“Actually it’s a date, not an appointment.” Yi Jung said.

 

 

 

Ga Eul, thinking that the “date” Yi Jung is talking about is like Suyeon’s case, she decided not to talk about it.

 

 

 

“Date or appointment, it still means you have to meet someone. Now go.” She said and he pouted.

 

 

“Have you thought about my proposal?” He asked.

 

 

“Which one? The one where you’ll marry me? Or the one you’ll marry me at church?”

 

“Both.” He pouted even more.

 

 

“Aww, you’re so cute when you’re trying so hard to look cute, it makes you even more… not cute!” She laughed.

 

 

“I’m serious Ga Eul…I want to marry you.”

 

 

“Fine…fine, marry me.” She pfft.

 

 

“Then can I ask you a question?”

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“Are you open for any chances of you falling in love with me?”

 

 

Ga Eul looked at him in the eye. She sighed and smiled…

 

 

 

“Dr. So, perhaps you know what KVO means right?” she asked.

 

 

“Of course, what’s the catch?”

 

 

“Didn’t I tell you I was once an associate nurse before I became a chef?” she said proudly.

 

 

“I haven’t read that in my research.” He said, eyeing her curiously.

 

 

“You researched on me? How could you!” She started hitting him.

 

 

“Ya, it was just a brief background research. Your name, occupation and status, I had to do it when you crashed my car. And besides, you won’t tell me your name that time.” He said.

 

 

“Fine…I’ll let you know my answer when I’m ready. Go now.” She said.

 

“KVO? Hmmm, you surprised me for knowing such a term. Well then, do you know what KHO is?” He asked.

 

“Not a clue… haven’t encountered that term before. What is it?” She asked.

 

“Then would you get it if I tell you I have a motto in life that no matter how hard life gets, I promised myself to keep my heart open?” He smiled.

 

 

“Ehh? I don’t get it and would not dare to understand it.” She scoffed. She then went to the other chair and sat down, remembering what Soo Young just said a few days ago.

 

 

 

Yi Jung was fixing his hair and saw Ga Eul murmuring to herself…

 

 

 

“Wae?” He asked.

 

 

“She said she’s the closest woman next to your wife…” She said, looking innocent as ever.

 

 

“She said that?” He asked.

 

 

“Yeah…anyway, hurry now. I can’t finish my work when you’re here. Remember, I don’t have any job starting now so I don’t have any source of income, which means I won’t be able to give you special treats from now on.” She pouted.

 

 

“Well then that means…I will be the one to give you special treats from now on.” He winked.

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

“How about we make a deal Chef Chu… you are a business minded person too after all.” He said daringly.

 

 

“So?”

 

 

“How about we bet each other’s love lives?”

 

 

“What do you mean by that?” She said raising an eyebrow.

 

 

“10 days… I’ll court you for 10 days. And by the end of that, you’ll fall head over heels in love with me.” He said confidently.

 

 

“Muo? What makes you think I’ll fall for you that fast?”

 

 

“It’s a deal isn’t it? If I win, I get the prize… you marry me. If I lose, you get the prize…” He said…with a bit sad expression.

 

 

“And what’s my prize?” She asked.

 

 

“That’s for you to decide.” He said and kissed her in her cheek, looked in the mirror for one last time and headed to the door.

 

 

“Wait!” She called.

 

 

“Yes?” He teasingly answered half-opening the door.

 

 

“Do you really have feelings for me?” She asked…shyly.

 

 

“Think about it…Would I kiss you more than once if I don’t? Would I let myself be seen in public with you if I don’t? Would I make effort just to see you despite my busy schedule if I don’t? And lastly…will I marry you if I don’t? Me? Korea’s most sought off doctor? Pfft… I don’t think so.” He said smiling brightly as ever.

 

 

She felt contented. Even though what he said wasn’t the answer to her question, the answers to HIS questions were. Yeah, it’s true… I haven’t thought of that. She thought. He left her contemplating on what he just said. Ga Eul smiled to herself. She hasn’t thought about Sun Pyo for quite a while now, is she really over him already?

 

 

 

Yi Jung rushed to the hospital to have his rounds before finally going to his “date”. Quarter to 12, he left to meet…. Soo Young. They met at Samwon Garden which made Yi Jung smile to himself when he remembered this is where he formally met Ga Eul. He offered Soo Young a seat and sat on the opposite side, facing her.

 

 

 

“So…what’s with our lunch that you really want to spend time with me alone?” He asked.

 

 

“Well… I’m surprised you really came. Thought your wife wouldn’t let you.” She said rolling her eyes.

 

 

“Nahh, Ga Eul isn’t like that. I tell you, she’s really nice.” He said smiling. Then, the waiter arrived and gave them the menu.

 

 

“But…she really is not your type…right?” Soo Young asked, trying not to sound nosy.

 

 

“Hmm-mm. But, my heart is so in love with her and too bad there’s nothing I could do about it.” He said shortly.

 

 

“When did you guys married each other?” She asked.

 

That was it. That was the question he never expected he’d get. Well… the safest answer would be.

 

“Actually, I married her…when we went overseas. But now I’m gonna marry her at church. We’re engaged, really…and we’re still planning for the perfect date for the perfect day.” He said…crossing his fingers under the table. Yi Jung, you’re telling her the truth if Ga Eul will say YES.

 

 

“I see… so, no formal ceremonies yet?” She asked.

 

 

“Uhm, what do you want to eat?” He asked her, driving away the subject. He surely doesn’t want to talk about it…with her.

 

 

“I’ll have whatever you like.” She said.

 

 

“Anyway…you told her you’re the closest woman next to my wife…which is her.” He asked.

 

 

“Correction, now that I know… she’s still your fiancée.” She said.

 

 

“Fine. Fine. I knew it… you’re trying to stop me huh?” He said but instead of sounding pestered, he sounded secured.

 

 

“Not that I would stop you. I’m not as bad as you think Yi Jung. In fact, I could help you in your wedding if you want.”

 

 

“No thanks. I wouldn’t want Ga Eul to feel awkward.” He said.

 

 

“Fine. Have it your way then.”

 

 

 

The day passed by so quickly and Ga Eul lied on her bed thinking what Yi Jung just said earlier.

 

 

“10 days? Will I fall for him in 10 days?” She said and closed her eyes feeling happy about their accidental deal.