Chapter 11

Delectable Sickness

Yi Jung tugged Ga Eul and let her lie on the couch.

 

 

“Ya, Chu Ga Eul, don’t you dare faint on me.” He said and rubbed her cheeks with his thumb.

 

 

She opened her eyes and stood up.

 

 

“I thought you’re unconscious?” Yi Jung was surprised.

 

“Yeah, I was. Well… ha! Don’t you dare play those tricks on me again if you don’t want me to roast you alive!” She scowled.

 

“Could you at least let me explain first?” He said and sat next to her, burying his face in the palm of his hands.

 

“Spill it.” She said and folded her arms.

 

“Eun Jae called, to check if I received her invitation. She said she was hoping we could start again, as friends. So I told her I’d come…with my girlfriend… and our child.” He said, and he was really troubled.

 

“Muo? You said that? Geesh Yi Jung, how could you be so thoughtless, you sounded like you’re a-“

 

“Aro…I know… a desperate ex-boyfriend. I’m not trying to compete with her… or make her jealous or anything. It just came out of my mouth. I didn’t know… I wasn’t myself.” He said.

 

“In short, you’re being irresponsible!” She scolded.

 

“I know… I know. Mianhe.”

 

 

 

Ga Eul remained quiet for a while. She then stood up and grabbed her bag. Yi Jung still burying his face in his hands.

 

 

 

“When’s the engagement?”

 

“Tomorrow.” He mumbled.

 

“Kaja.” She said. Yi Jung looked up at her, he flashed her puppy eyes and praying hands.

 

“You’ll help me, won’t you?” He said, he almost sounded like he was begging.

 

“What else do you expect me to do?” She sighed and her eyes showed a glimpse of hope. Her eyes were smiling.

 

“Aww! I love you Ga Eul!” He stood up and hugged her.

 

“I know.” She smiled. Yi Jung broke from the hug and stared at her.

 

“And what do you mean by that “I know” you just said?” He raised an eyebrow.

 

“I mean… I know you’d ask for my help.” She smiled fakely.

 

“Just joking. I really do love you. You’re the best Ga Eul, thanks.” He said and hugged her again.

 

“Okay… enough drama, how can you get a child within a day? Is there a new technology nowadays that can produce an infant within a span of time?” She joked.

 

“That’s the part I haven’t thought of yet.” He said scratching his head.

 

 

 

They left the KTV and went to a coffee shop.

 

 

 

“Ga Eul, what should I do?” He asked for the nth time. Ga Eul would just tell him not to worry every time he asks her that.

 

“Don’t worry, we’ll come up with a plan soon.” She said and took a sip from her cup.

 

“But you’ve been telling me that for hours already, and we haven’t figured out anything yet.” He was getting impatient and nervous of the situation.

 

“Aha! I got it.” She smiled triumphantly.

 

“What is it?”

 

“What about Yui?” Ga Eul suggested.

 

“How old is she?”

 

“Around 6 or something.”

 

“Ah-ah, cannot be. If we chose her, then it’ll look like I cheated on Eun Jae first… Her son is 4, and Yui’s 6… she won’t believe me Ga Eul. Soo Yeon won’t do too with her condition… we really need a child. A child. A child. I want a son!” He voiced out… loud.

 

Really… he’s very anxious for tomorrow’s event.  The people around them were staring at the “desperate-father-who-wants-a-son” who is… Yi Jung.

 

 

“Could you please lower down your voice? And don’t you use that tone on me. People might think I have maternal problems that I can’t give you a child! And mostly, they might think we’re a couple! You’re giving me Goosebumps!” She scoffed.

 

“Sorry.” He kept quiet.

 

“Okay…I got a plan. Let’s go.” She said and they left the coffee shop. They headed back to the café.

 

 

 

 

At Chu’s Haven…

 

 

“What are we doing here? How will we-“

 

“Just shut that mouth of yours if you want to get your problem fixed. This is your problem and not mine, and if you won’t stop bugging me with those redundant questions of yours, then I suggest you find another girlfriend with a child on a 5 star one night stand motel. Araso?” She said in a snap. Yi Jung just nodded and held his hands up like it was saying “I surrender”.

 

 

 

“Chef Chu, back so early?” Jin Hee greeted.

 

“Jin Hee, I got a huge favor to ask if it’s okay with you.” Ga Eul said and led Jin Hee to a vacant table.

 

“What is it…Chef Chu?”

 

“Can I borrow your baby for tomorrow? Just one night. I mean…can I babysit him for tomorrow? Please…please?” She held her hands and pouted.

 

“Oh…that, of course. I’m happy to. It’s okay Chef Chu, no problem at all. And thank you, I get to save from paying some babysitter for 8 hours!” Jin Hee smiled.

 

“Oh my god, I love you Jin Hee!” She hugged her.

 

“I think I won’t ask for whatever reason you have for borrowing my Jae Hwan. All I’m concern of is his safety. And I trust you.” Jin Hee said.

 

“I’ll just call you tomorrow where we’ll pick him up. Excuse me for a moment.” Ga Eul said and went to Yi Jung.

 

 

 

 

Yi Jung was staring at the clock, looking dreaded as ever.

 

 

 

“If I were you, I’d put a big smile on that face.” She stood in front of him, covering his view.

 

“Wae?”

 

“I just got you a baby.” She smiled.

 

“Really? Oh my Ga Eul, you’re really the best! I-“ He stood up and was about to hug her again when she stopped him.

 

“Ehhh! Don’t come hugging me again or we’ll end up kissing each other..AGAIN. The one you should be thankful with is Jin Hee, and not me. I told her I’ll babysit Jae Hwan tomorrow.” She said and went back to Jin Hee. Yi Jung followed her.

 

“Thanks Jin Hee, I really appreciate your help. Don’t worry, I promise we’ll keep him safe.” Yi Jung smiled brightly as ever.

 

“Oh…no problem at all, just call me ahead of time so that I can prepare his things beforehand.” Jin Hee said.

 

“Sure, Yi Jung and I will be picking him up around 5 or 6 tomorrow.” Ga Eul said.

 

“What do you mean tomorrow?” Yi Jung asked.

 

“We’ll go and get Jae Hwan tomorrow at their house.” Ga Eul answered.

 

“Jin Hee, is it possible that we could get him now?” Yi Jung asked Jin Hee.

 

“What? Why?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“He might cry nonstop tomorrow at the party by the time he realizes that you are not his real mother and it will obviously explain that we’re not his real parents. Get the picture? We should get to know each other first. Please Jin Hee, I’ll increase your salary for a year.” Yi Jung pleaded with his praying hands again.

 

“What are you? Her boss? Ya, I’m her boss, and I’m the one to increase her salary!” Ga Eul said.

 

“Really Ga Eul? You will? Heard that Jin Hee? She’ll increase your salary for a year. Please? I hope you understand me.” Yi Jung.

 

“What? I don’t mean it that way. I-“ Ga Eul said but was cut by Jin Hee.

 

“It’s okay Chef Chu, I understand. But you don’t have a problem with Jae Hwan, he’s not a crybaby, he won’t cry with strangers as long as he has his ChuChu with him.” Jin Hee said.

 

“ChuChu?” Yi Jung asked.

 

“Yep…his bear.” Jin Hee smiled.

 

 

Yi Jung, Ga Eul…together with Jin Hee left the café and headed to Jin Hee’s house. They spotted Jae Hwan playing with his “ChuChu” while the babysitter prepares his milk.

 

 

“Ah, Ji Woo, I’ll have him for tonight. Here, thanks a lot.” Jin Hee said and handed Ji Woo the payment.

 

“Thanks, should I drop by again tomorrow?” Ji Woo asked.

 

“Ah no thanks, Jae Hwan and I are going somewhere.” Jin Hee said and with that Ji Woo left.

 

 

Jae Hwan looked around and giggled when he saw his mommy. (He’s 1 year and a half).

 

 

“Hey baby, how’s your day?” Jin Hee said and carried Jae Hwan. She than handed it to Ga Eul.

 

“Would you like to try Chef Chu? While I go and prepare his things?” Jin Hee smiled.

 

“Hmmm.” Ga Eul said and carried Jin Hee. Yi Jung looked at them.

 

“Let me try. Let me try.” Yi Jung said trying to take Jae Hwan from Ga Eul.

 

“Ya, I’m not done with him yet.” Ga Eul resisted and walked away from Yi Jung.

 

“Hey, I’m his father for tomorrow, I need to practice carrying him.” Yi Jung said and followed her around where she goes.

 

 

 

Jin Hee came back with a small bag and a baby bottle.

 

 

 

“See? He’s not crying, he’s used to seeing different people.” Jin Hee smiled.

 

“Yeah, and you’re so cute…aren’t you baby?” Ga Eul said and rocked Jae Hwan in her arms.

 

“I said let me carry him!” Yi Jung said.

 

 

 

 

At Jan Di’s house… (their dinner is going to be…a sure lot fun!)

 

 

“What’s taking them so long?” Jan Di asked Woo Bin.

 

“I don’t know, I called both of them and they’re not answering.” Woo Bin said.

 

“Maybe…they’re together now…and can’t be disturbed. Haha.” Ji Hoo said.

 

“Ya…don’t say something like that. It’s too early for my Ga Eul.” Jan Di said.

 

“And it’s not too early for you?” Ji Hoo asked.

 

“Ahhh! Ji Hoo… don’t spoil it.” Jan Di pouted.

 

“I can’t imagine how Ga Eul will react when you tell her the good…bad news.” Woo Bin said.

 

“She’ll be crazy about it for sure.” Jae Kyung said.

 

 

 

Finally, the doorbell rang.

 

 

 

“Finally!” Jan Di said and went to open the door. Her eyes widen with the sight of Ga Eul with a baby bag and a bottle on hand.

 

 

“Ha! Ga Eul-ah, what are you-“ Jan Di said then her eyes shifted to Yi Jung with a cute boy in his arms. 1, 2, 3, 4….BANG. Jan Di closed the door on them.

 

 

“Who was it Jan Di?” Ji Hoo asked.

 

“Not them. Definitely not them.” Jan Di said and went back to her seat. Then the doorbell rang again. It was Woo Bin who opened it this time.

 

“Not them? Then who-“ His eyes glowed and was fixed on Jae Hwan. He…too, closed the door.

 

 

 

Yi Jung and Ga Eul raised their brows.

 

 

 

“What is wrong with these people?” Ga Eul asked and knocked on the door.

 

“Who was it Woo Bin?” Ji Hoo asked.

 

“Definitely not them! Cannot be! Impossibly!” Woo Bin said and went back to his seat, looking uneasy.

 

 

 

“Ya! Jan Di-ah, open the door!” Ga Eul called.

 

 

 

“It’s Ga Eul, what are you guys playing at?” Ji Hoo said and stood up to get the door.

 

 

He opened the door and…

 

 

 

“Oh my…” He said and was about to close the door again when Yi Jung stopped him… I mean the door and let Ga Eul enter first.

 

“What is wrong with you guys?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“What is wrong with you Ga Eul?! Who is that child?!”  Jan Di asked.

 

“I told you they’re together…and this is the result of what they’ve done.” Ji Hoo joked cuddling Jae Hwan.

 

“Ani..ani, it’s not that.” Ga Eul explained.

 

 

“I think I’m the one to get crazy after all Jae Kyung.” Jan Di said.

 

“Yeah…we were supposed to surprise you and you surprised the heck out of us.” Jae Kyung said and took Jae Hwan from Ga Eul.

 

 

“Who owns the child anyway?” Woo Bin asked.

 

 

“Us.” Yi Jung and Ga Eul said with their fingers crossed at the back of their minds.