Chapter 4

Delectable Sickness

 

The day passed by quickly, Ga Eul bid goodbye to Eun Sung, Jin Hee and her other workers as well. She was about to drive her way back home when she received a phone call from Jan Di.

 

 

“Yobosaeyo? Jan Di-ah? Hmmm mianhae, I can’t. I have a major headache and I really need a break. Araso…araso. Bye.”

 

 

She decided to not join whatever nightlife Jan Di’s talking about they’re having. She really needs to find herself to be able to recover from her stupid heartbreak. She then realized she forgot to turn on the lights this morning, now it’s so dark. Her little angel was sitting right at the doorstep.

 

 

“Sorry Yui, I forgot. Let’s go inside.” And the 6 year old girl just smiled.

 

 

 

 Ga Eul went straight to the kitchen for she never had a real meal today.

 

 

 

“What do you want to eat?”

 

 

“Anything will do Ga Eul.”  The little girl said.

 

 

“What to cook…what to cook…hmmm.” She said opening her fridge.

 

 

 

 

Another phone call disturbed her…

 

 

“Yobosaeyo?”

 

“Hmmm…”

 

“Who is this please?”

 

“I’m outside your restaurant.”

 

“So Yi Jung? Are you drunk?”

 

“Come, fast.”

 

“But I’m home now and I’m not going anywhere.” She said looking at Yui.

 

“Hurry.”

 

“Wae? I said I’m not going anywhere.”

 

“I want to eat.”

 

“Well…you can eat here, it’s much safer. Why did you drink anyway…aisssh, from the café, turn left, then two intersections, turn right, then left, left, and I’ll meet you.”

 

 

 

She ended the call. She was planning to eat ramen since it was the easiest one to cook. But since her fake-ex-boyfriend-for-one-night-only is dropping by, she decided to cook porridge, Bi-bibap and jjim-dak (Steamed chicken). Wae? He’s drunk.

 

 

 

 

Another phone call…

 

 

“Where are you?” She asked while drying her hands with a towel.

 

 

“Outside your house.”

 

 

“Eh?!” She hurriedly opened the door.

 

 

 

“Are you trying to play tricks on me? You knew where my house was didn’t you?” She said opening the door wider.

 

 

“I saw your car on the way, satisfied?” he mocked.

 

 

“I thought you’re a doctor? You don’t look like one and you don’t act like one.”

 

 

“Then what am I?” His unintentionally raised his tone.

 

 

 

 

“Why are you shouting at her like that?” Yui said.

 

 

 

 

“Who is this little kid? So, she’s the reason why you can’t go out huh? Unfortunately, your dirty little secret is now busted.” he said settling himself on the couch.

 

 

“What do you mean by that?” Ga Eul hissed and went back to the kitchen.

 

 

“You know, your mum’s a bad girl.” Yi Jung whispered to Yui.

 

 

Yui stared at him, Yi Jung just smiled.

 

 

 

“Ahhhh!!!!” Yui cried.

 

 

 

“What? What happened?” Ga Eul said and went to Yui.

 

 

“He said mom’s a bad girl!” Yui cried pointing to Yi Jung.

 

 

“What? Deny it now? Admit it while the child is young!” Yi Jung said, he was indeed drunk…

 

 

“Mwo? Aisshh… Yui is not my child for goodness’ sake!  She stays here with me for now ‘cuz her mom won’t be home ‘till 8! She’s my neighbor you…you…fake doctor!” Ga Eul said and sshed Yui.

 

 

 

“Mworagu? Ahhhhsshhh, relax…geez, such a bad temper.” He said closing his eyes.

 

 

 

Ga Eul looked at her watch, it was nearly 8. Yui went to her since Yi Jung fell asleep on the couch.

 

 

“Yui, your mom should be here anytime now. Don’t worry, the chicken will be ready in 2-3 minutes.” Ga Eul said smiling.

 

 

“Ga Eul, who’s that sir sleeping on your couch?” Yui asked.

 

“He’s…a friend of mine.”

 

“Are all your friends like that? He smells like rotten fish.” Yui said. Ga Eul chuckled.

 

“No..no, it’s just that…he ate…something that sort of smells like rotten fish.” Ga Eul said laughing.

 

 

Beep. Beep.

 

 

“Mom!” Yui jumped.

 

“Aww, you sure you don’t want to eat dinner with me?” Ga Eul said smiling and she opened the door.

 

 

“Good evening Ga Eul.” Mrs. Han greeted.

 

“Good evening Mrs. Han, sorry I came home late and I just finished cooking. Yui hasn’t eaten yet.” Ga Eul said.

 

“It’s okay, I brought something for her. Let’s go sweetie, thanks Ga Eul.”

 

“Bye Ga Eul!” Yui said and they left. Before Ga Eul could close the door…

 

 

“Ga Eul? Why is she calling you Ga Eul?”

 

“Oh, you’re  alive? Sorry, thought you were somewhere near to…dead? Just joking, Yui doesn’t like to call me unnie ‘cause she thinks she’s a grown up too. She said she ain’t a little girl no more. Dinner is served.” Ga Eul called.

 

 

 

Yi Jung stood up, damn headache.

 

 

 

He set himself on a chair opposite to Ga Eul. When Ga Eul placed the steamed chicken on the table, a couple of loose strands covered her face. He tried to take it away but…

 

 

“Don’t you dare touch me.” She said and sat opposite to him.

 

“Hmmm, you have something to drink?” Yi Jung asked.

 

“Nope and that won’t do the trick. I know you’re trying to lure me. Sorry, but don’t worry, I’ll try to be nice to you even if I’m not drunk… Let’s eat?” Ga Eul winked.

 

 

 

They started to eat quietly. Yi Jung took a couple of stolen shots of her while digging in his porridge.

 

 

“So why did you drink? Feasting?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“Long story.”

 

“Tell me, we have the whole night to talk about it. I’m in the mood for some drama too.” Ga Eul said.

 

“You’re ALWAYS in the mood for drama…” Yi Jung corrected her.

 

“Ya, I just wanted to help you know.”

 

“Okay…okay, my girl…my ex-girlfriend showed up this morning and gave me a surprise.”

 

“That’s good to hear. What’s the surprise?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“Nothing…nothing, just a gold ring on her right ring finger and her four year old son.” And he threw his spoon somewhere.

 

“Hey…” Ga Eul stood up and picked the spoon and gave him a new one.

 

 

“Don’t be so affected about it…I thought you’d rather think she died then left you to be with her guy?” Ga Eul said and tried to comfort him by patting his back.

 

 

“I know…I know…it’s just that… I loved her so much… and…”

 

“And it really hurts…” Ga Eul continued.

 

 

 

He cried. I know, I know…I know what you guys are thinking. ^^

 

 

 

“Hey…ssh…” Ga Eul comforted him.

 

“Can you hug me?” Yi Jung sniffed. Ga Eul kneeled and hugged him.

 

“It’s okay…ssshhh.” Ga Eul said.

 

“I never thought you could be this easy Ga Eul…haha.” Yi Jung laughed.

 

“Mwo?!” Ga Eul said in astonishment. She tried to let go of his embrace but he wouldn’t let her.

 

“I told you I don’t like drama.” He said still laughing.

 

“Let go of me!” Ga Eul retorted.

 

“Let’s just stay this way…for a couple of minutes. I need a friend.” Yi Jung said calmly.

 

“You really are a good actor, aren’t you? Why don’t you call your F4 friends?” She asked.

 

 

“And hug them like this? Isn’t it gay? Besides, I feel different, I miss my mother too. It’s been so long since I hugged a woman. Although you barely look like one.” He said. Ga Eul smacked him on his head.

 

“Ya, you wanna die?” Ga Eul said and let go of him.

 

 

 

 

They finished eating and opened a bottle of wine. They sat on the floor in front of the 42” plasma TV. They tried to get to know each other...talking about stuffs.

 

“Nah, I don’t like mushrooms…” Yi Jung said.

 

“Really? Gee, me too but I occasionally eat those kind of stuff, like…when I have to?” and they both chuckled.

 

 

Really, they’re talking about nonsense…when awkward silence filled the room.

 

 

“It’s quiet.” Yi Jung said.

 

“Yeah, want some music?” Ga Eul said.

 

“No, I like it this way.” Yi Jung said staring at the wine in his glass.

 

 

 

Silence again.

 

 

 

“Cheers for the both of us, unlucky in love…” Ga Eul toasted.

 

“Yeah…” Yi Jung smiled and their eyes met.

 

“I remembered last night…” Ga Eul said shyly.

 

“Last night? Or the kiss last night?” Yi Jung grinned.

 

“Aniya…really, thank you for helping me…” Ga Eul smiled.

 

“You want to try it again?” Yi Jung eyed her.

 

“Try what?”

 

“The…” Yi Jung said and pointed his lips.

 

“Oh…why?” Ga Eul asked pouring herself another glass of wine.

 

“Did you feel anything?” Yi Jung asked.

 

“I don’t know…it was quick and I was drunk.” Ga Eul shrugged.

 

“Are you drunk now?” He seconded.

 

“No…not yet. I’m awake as ever.” Ga Eul jeered.

 

“Can we try?” Yi Jung said and Ga Eul looked at him… he was sure he’ll get a no but was surprise when she nodded.

 

“I guess that won’t hurt.” She said.

 

 

 

 

I bet it’s the wine’s effect on her. Yi Jung thought.

 

 

 

They kissed, it was just a plain kiss…then they played with their tongues trying to return each one’s fervor. Yi Jung broke from the kiss first, Ga Eul looked at him.

 

“Did you feel something?” He asked.

 

“No… not at all. I think that was a short kiss, I think we should…we should try it a litt-“ then Yi Jung kissed her again.

 

 

 

After a few tongue tricks, they broke from the kiss again.

 

 

“So? You feel anything?” it was Ga Eul who asked.

 

“Well…I’m sweating.” He said removing his coat.

 

“No, I mean…you feel anything with the kiss?” Ga Eul asked.

 

“Nothing special… I mean, well…you’re hot.” Yi Jung said smiling.

 

“Well…you too doctor, should we kiss more?” and they laughed together.