Regret

Nameless

Wonwoo and Hanji stepped out of the cinema as soon as the movie was over. The walked past the ticket window where Mingyu was selling some tickets to a couple. Wonwoo spotted him and gave him a side smile, and Mingyu looked at him and tried to smile back, but he ended up making a weird face.

He thought of what he had done an hour ago: Seungcheol kissed him and he didn’t do anything about it. He let him. That was as bad as kissing first.

Soon his shift was over, at the same time as Seungcheol’s and they met at the staff room to get their stuff.

“Did you see Wonwoo?” Seungcheol asked him. Mingyu looked at him with a bit of anger.

“Yes, and he didn’t seem angry at all”

“Oh”

“Yes, oh. ing oh. Do you know how I feel now? Do you know how bad Wonwoo will feel?” Mingyu told Seungcheol.

“You don’t have to tell him”

“Yeah, right, like he won’t see right through me” Mingyu scoffed “I don’t know what your idea of a good relationship is, but my idea is about trust and being best friends in the first place, and kissing another dude is not on the list”

“Hey, it’s not my fault” Seungcheol said.

“What the hell? Are you ing insane? Who was the one who jumped at me?”

“You kissed back”

“Yes, I know, don’t remind me, and believe me, that’ll be the first and last time you’ll ever kiss me, or even touch me” Mingyu said and took his bag, leaving the room.

 

That night

 

Mingyu’s phone started to ring and he saw it was Wonwoo calling. He picked him.

“Hi” he said.

“Hi” Wonwoo replied. Mingyu felt like crying. Wonwoo was perfect, the best out there and yet he decided to kiss Seungcheol, what the hell was he thinking? “I need to ask you something really important”

“Go on” Mingyu said and smiled to himself imagining Wonwoo’s face when he said that.

“Next Saturday will have been a year since my dad and Doyoon died, and me, my family and friends are going to the graveyard together, can you come? I know you didn’t know them but it’d mean a lot to me”

“Of course I’ll go” Mingyu said as tears reached his eyes. You can’t do that, he’ll find out about that kiss and he’ll kill you. 

“Thank you” Wonwoo said.

“I’ll be there” Mingyu said.

“Hey, I’m sorry about being angry at you, it was stupid of me, and I made a big deal of something so stupid…”

“It’s fine, you have all the right to be angry at me, I should’ve told the truth since the very beginning” Mingyu said regretting that kiss for the 100th since it happened.

“Are you ok? You sound like something’s troubling you” Wonwoo said. I have to tell him, Mingyu thought.

“There’s something… and I need to tell you, but you’re gonna get angry at me again and you have all the right” Mingyu said, a tear rolling down his cheek.

“What happened? Tell me” Wonwoo said a bit tense.

“Today during work… Seungcheol confessed to me, you know that”

“Yes”

“But later he started talking to me again and he approached me and he kissed me. And I let him” Mingyu said crying “And I regret letting him so much, I hate myself and I’m so sorry”

“So you like him” Wonwoo said.

“I don’t, I hate him” Mingyu said “It meant nothing to me, but I understand that you are angry at me”

“Don’t come on Saturday” Wonwoo said and he hung up.

Mingyu threw the phone to his bed and grabbed the nearest thing he found, a dictionary, and threw it against the wall crying out loud.

“I’m ing stupid” he said crying grabbing his hair.

 

The next day Mingyu didn’t want to get out of bed. He guessed Wonwoo probably wouldn’t want to see him all day, which he totally understands, so he went to school straight away, to leave Wonwoo some space. He parked his motorbike where he usually would, next to Hanji’s school, and he walked to his. He didn’t see Wonwoo all morning.

Wonwoo was surprised when they got to Hanji’s school and didn’t see Mingyu. They didn’t leave with enough time to get to Mingyu intentionally, but he still hoped he would be there. However, he knew Mingyu was doing that on purpose to leave him some time to think.

“Wonwoo, what’s wrong?” Hanji asked his brother.

“It’s nothing, Hanji, come on, go to school” he told her.

“Where is Mingyu? His bike is here”

“He had an early exam” Wonwoo lied and his sister didn’t seem so convinced.

“Alright” she said anyways “Bye” she kissed her brother and ran into school.

Wonwoo walked to his first class wondering how Mingyu was doing, but he didn’t deserve it. They’ve been together for almost two months now and he decided to cheat already.

 

It was lunch time and Mingyu was nowhere to be seen. Wonwoo sat on his usual place and his friends looked at him with a wondering look.

“Where’s Mingyu?” Soonyoung asked.

“I don’t know” Wonwoo replied.

“Uh oh” Jisoo said “Did you guys get into a fight? Your first one?”

“Our second one” he said.

“What?” Jihoon said surprised.

“Yeah, he got a job and he introduced me to one of his work mates as his friend, then the next day that same work mate confesses to him and Mingyu lets him kiss him and yeah, that might be the second one” Wonwoo said.

“Wow” Jihoon said “I hope you can fix it soon, I can’t really see you without him right now…”

During the next week Wonwoo returned to his previous self, like the Wonwoo when his dad and best friend died. He was constantly sad and silent, he barely said anything to his friends during lunch, and he just sat there and ate. When he finished he would stand up and leave without saying goodbye. He only saw Mingyu on the corridors, and he would only look at him when he wasn’t looking at him.

One day when he got out of school he saw Seungcheol on the entrance, waiting for Mingyu probably. Where they going out together? Already? They didn’t even break up.

Seungcheol saw him and walked to him.

“Hey” he said and Wonwoo didn’t greet him.

“What are you doing here?” he asked him “Are you taking Mingyu on a date?”

“No, I decided I could walk with him to work”

“Oh right” Wonwoo scoffed.

“He hasn’t talked to me at all, and I’m pretty worried”

“Wow, you? Worried? You have no right to be worried”

“Ok… I see you’re still mad at him”

“Of course” Wonwoo said crossing his arms.

“Oh, there he is” Seungcheol said and Wonwoo turned around to see Mingyu walking towards them. They locked eyes for a moment and Mingyu looked at him with sad eyes, he gave him a side smile and walked past them, ignoring Seungcheol “Mingyu!” he tried calling him but he ignored him.

“Good luck” Wonwoo said ironically and left Seungcheol there, walking towards his sister’s school, walking a few steps behind Mingyu, of course, since his bike was parked right next to the school.

Wonwoo reached Hanji’s school at the same time she came out and she ran to him. He hugged her and Hanji saw Mingyu getting on his bike and putting on his helmet.

“Look, there’s Mingyu”

“I know, let’s go” Wonwoo said and he took his sister’s hand and walked home.

“Did anything happen between you two?” she asked him.

“No, stop asking questions” he said.

“Wonwoo”

“What?”

“You’re back to your old self, you remind me of how you were when dad and Doyoon died” Hanji said.

“Well, now you had what you wanted, didn’t you say I changed too much?”

“Yes, but now I realize that I like you better when you’re happy, and that’s when you’re with Mingyu….”

“Well, too bad”

“Did you break up?”

“No” Wonwoo said and he hoped they didn’t, because that would kill him.

“Well, whatever happened between you two I hope gets fixed soon, I really hate seeing you like this”

Wonwoo opened the door to his house and he went upstairs thinking about what his sister told him. Maybe he did change again.