You Play By My Rules

Love In The Ice

It was lunch time and Lizzy was eating by herself. It had been a week since she had transferred to Hansung High School. She hadn’t made many friends yet. The only people she talked to on a daily basis were the girls on Student Council, except she wasn’t allowed to sit with them since she wasn’t part of Student Council. She had gotten used to sharing a room with Nana, she didn’t hate sharing a room with her but she didn’t like it either. They didn’t talk much only if Nana had something to say, other than that it was dead silent. Lizzy really liked to talk to Raina, she was nice and understanding since she was Nana’s secretary she knew how cold Nana could be. E-young and Kaeun were also very kind to Lizzy, they would let her know what clubs to join and what clubs she should avoid. Seohyun was quiet, she was neutral around Lizzy, and she only talked to her if Lizzy had any questions. That day Lizzy was quietly eating her lunch by herself, she had no idea that the Student Council girls were watching her the entire time.

“I feel bad,” E-young said.

“Me too,” Kaeun sighed.

“Well we can tell her to come eat with us can’t we?” E-young asked.

“No. She isn’t allowed to eat at the Student Council’s table,” Seohyun said.

“If we let her eat with us soon all of the other girls will want to join us too,” Raina said raising a spoonful of rice to her lips.

“But, she still hasn’t made any friends yet. I think she could eat with us just this once,” E-young pouted.

“Yeah, just this once,” Kaeun said giving her eye-smile.

“Okay, let’s do a vote then,” Seohyun suggested. “Whoever wants Lizzy to eat at our table raise your hand?”

E-young and Kaeun quickly shot their hands up, Raina slowly followed.

“Seohyun, what’s your vote?” Raina asked.

“I’ll raise my hand up as well,” she said.

“Great that means she can come over right?” E-young said excitedly.

“Wait…we didn’t get President Nana’s vote,” Raina said.

Everyone quickly stopped talking and turned their attention to Nana.

“This is amusing to watch,” she smirked.

“What’s your vote on this President?” Raina asked.

“Since the rest of you want her here she can sit here but just this once,” Nana said flashing a gorgeous smile in their direction.

“Thank you President Nana,” they all said in unison.

E-young got up and walked over to where Lizzy was sitting.

“Lizzy?”

“Oh, E-young…” Lizzy said putting down her sandwich.

“Why are you sitting alone?” she asked.

“Oh…uh…I still haven’t really made friends yet,” she said quietly.

“You can come eat lunch with us today,” E-young happily said.

“Really? But I thought that only those on Student Council can eat lunch with you?” Lizzy said confused.

“Today we made an exception for you but only this once,” E-young informed.

“Thank you E-young.”

“No problem. Now get up,” E-young said helping Lizzy bring her stuff over to their lunch table.

“H-hello, thank you for letting me eat with you today,” Lizzy said as she bowed.

“It’s fine Lizzy-ah, we wanted you to sit with us today,” Raina said.

Lizzy sat down in between E-young and Kaeun. Raina and Seohyun were seated across from them while Nana was sitting at the head of the table.

“So how do you like it here so far?” Kaeun asked.

“It’s nice. I really like my classes and my teachers,” Lizzy replied.

“Do you like your room?” E-young asked.

Lizzy hesitated before answering.

“Yes, do you like your room?” Nana repeated the question. She looked straight at Lizzy with a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

“Y-yes, of course I do,” Lizzy stuttered.

“Is President Nana a good roommate?” Kaeun jokingly asked.

Lizzy just simply nodded her head.

“That doesn’t seem like a convincing answer,” Seohyun said.

“She’s a good roommate,” Lizzy said.

“She? Didn’t I tell you to be formal with me?” Nana stared at Lizzy intently.

“I’m sorry President Nana, I didn’t mean to say ‘she’ I meant to say ‘President’. Please don’t be angry with me,” Lizzy apologized.

“Cut the kid some slack, she made an honest mistake,” Raina said looking at Nana.

“Fine. I’ll let this one slide but next time you address me in that way I’ll have to punish you. Understood?” Nana said.

“Yes, President,” Lizzy answered.

“President Nana don’t you think your being a little harsh?” Raina asked.

“No I don’t. Secretary Raina if you have a problem with me you can discuss it with me privately if not please keep your mouth shut,” Nana said.

“Girls, stop bickering please,” Seohyun pleaded.

They all ate the rest of their lunch in silence. Soon after the bell rang for class, they all got up and headed in different directions. But before Lizzy could go off to her class Nana grabbed her arm and pulled her back.

“Y-yes, P-president?”

“Come with me,” Nana said.

“Where? I have to get to class,” Lizzy said.

“President, leave her alone, we all have to get to class,” Raina said from behind.

Nana turned around. “Go to class. Tell Miss. Kim I’ll be late because I have some errands to run for Student Council.”

“Yes President,” Raina said and bowed before she left.

Nana turned around to face Lizzy.

“I have to go to my room to get something.”

“Why do I have to come along?” Lizzy asked.

“Don’t ask any questions. And walk behind me but not too behind,” Nana said walking off.

Lizzy did as she was told. They got to the dorm area and climbed the stairs to their room in silence. Nana unlocked the door and they stepped inside.

“Lizzy,” Nana said turning around.

“Yes President?”

“I’m curious, what do you think of me?” Nana asked.

“Is this why you asked me to come upstairs with you?”

“No, I do actually need something but why not ask you a few questions before we go to class?” Nana said mischievously.

“Nothing is wrong with that,” Lizzy mumbled.

“So, tell me honestly, what do you think of me? I won’t get angry.”

Lizzy gulped. She had no idea what to say. She was terrified that Nana would get angry with her and kick her out.

“Well…I think you’re very…intimidating,” Lizzy slowly said closing her eyes.

“Most people find me intimidating. I always wonder why that is? Why do you find me intimidating?” Nana asked as she was searching for something in her closet.

“The way you talk and look at others is very powerful that you come off as intimidating,” Lizzy said nervously.

“Are you saying you’re scared of me?”

“N-no.”

“Be honest.”

“Yes…I’m scared of you President,” Lizzy quietly mumbled.

Nana stepped out of her closet with a book in her hand. She placed it in her bag and looked up at Lizzy.

“Let’s go,” she said as she side-stepped Lizzy and opened the door.

Lizzy walked out of the room and waited as Nana locked the door before they continued walking.

“Where’s your class?” Nana asked.

“It’s at the far end of the school,” Lizzy said.

“I have to drop this off at headmaster’s office,” she said.

They walked to the main office of the school and both of them walked in.

“Nana-ssi, are you hear to see the headmaster?” the secretary asked.

“Yes,” Nana smiled.

“Right this way. Is she also coming in with you?” the secretary asked pointing at Lizzy.

Nana nodded her head. They entered Park Kahi’s office.

“Im Nana-ssi and Park Lizzy-ssi, what brings the both of you to my office? Don’t you ladies have class right now?” Kahi asked.

“Yes headmaster, I’m just here to drop this off,” Nana said as she reached in her bag to take out the book. She placed it on Kahi’s desk.

“Oh yes, thank you,” Kahi beamed, “but why is she with you?”

“Lizzy was just being kind and decided to accompany me,” Nana replied.

“Alright, well get along, I don’t want you to miss anymore class.”

“Yes headmaster,” Nana said and they both bowed as they exited her office.

“I’ll walk you to class,” Nana said plainly.

“Oh no, there’s no need to do that President,” Lizzy protested.

“I’m walking you to class and that’s final,” Nana declared.

Lizzy quickly shut up and they headed toward her classroom.

“Lizzy-ssi you’re late!” the teacher exclaimed.

“I’m sorry teacher,” Lizzy bowed.

Nana walked in.

“Oh Miss. Im what brings you here?” the teacher asked.

“Actually I needed Lizzy for something that is why she is late,” Nana explained.

“It’s fine then. Lizzy please go to your desk.”

Nana left Lizzy’s classroom and walked the complete opposite direction to her own. It took about ten minutes to get there.

“Sorry Miss. Kim the headmaster wanted me,” Nana said as she entered the classroom.

“It’s fine, take your seat. I gave the lesson sheet to Raina so please copy it down in your notes,” Uee said.

“Did you actually go to the headmaster?” Raina whispered.

“Yes, she needed something,” Nana whispered back.

“Why’d you need Lizzy?” Raina asked quietly.

Nana shrugged. “Can I have the lesson sheet?”

Raina gave her the sheet.

“Why are you avoiding my question?” she asked.

“I’m not. I just don’t have an answer for it,” Nana replied.

“You should leave that poor girl alone. She doesn’t have time for your silly games,” Raina said.

“Silly games?”

“Oh you know what I’m talking about!”

“No I don’t actually,” Nana said turning her attention to Raina.

“Whenever there’s a new student that catches your eye you always torment them and make them do whatever you want,” Raina said looking directly into Nana’s eyes.

“Really? When have I done that?” Nana asked smirking.

“I can’t believe you,” Raina hissed.

“What?” Nana asked innocently.

“You did that to me when I first entered the school.”

“I did? I believe I was being nice to you. As I remember you were bullied so I took you in,” Nana said.

“You took me in? You make it sound like a good thing,” Raina said in disbelief.

“Isn’t it though? If it weren’t for me you’d still be getting bullied.”

“I’d rather be bullied because I can stand up for myself instead of having to do everything you say,” she said.

“If you’re angry with me then you’re free to resign as secretary,” Nana calmly said.

“All I want is for you to treat the rest of us with some respect,” Raina said.

“All I want is for you to shut your mouth until the school day is over. We’ll talk about this in the Student Council room,” Nana said.

And with that they stopped talking and faced the front of the room where Miss. Kim Uee was teaching.